Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked TV shows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

JackTC wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

One show that keeps popping up here is Banshee so I may give that a watch.

Big fight scene every episode,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Anyone ever watch Reaper? I remember watching it maybe 10-15 years ago at like 1am on RTE.

Also Underbelly was similar, late at night.

Sawduck wrote: »
    I love the cast its got mac from Its always sunny in Philadelphia, Abed from Community and the legend F. Murray Abraham. They also had a great Lock down episode

I was just killing time while I downloaded the latest episode. Good to see someone else likes it.

Chiklis was better in the Commish and I cannot stomach CCH Pounder in anything,

• Registered Users Posts: 85,596 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It wasn't great

I enjoyed it

Was AP Bio mentioned, enjoyable comedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,284 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Anyone ever watch Reaper? I remember watching it maybe 10-15 years ago at like 1am on RTE.

Also Underbelly was similar, late at night.
    I liked reaper, ray wise was terrific in it

gmisk wrote: »
    I liked reaper, ray wise was terrific in it

Ray was the neighbour in Fresh Off The Boat another underrated comedy gem

• Registered Users Posts: 32,284 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ray was the neighbour in Fresh Off The Boat another underrated comedy gem
    Oh yeah he is really fun, that is a gem.
    It did run out of steam a bit towards the end though, seemingly constance Wu wanted out.
    Ray Wise and his wife were very fun in it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Going now with a show that was actually overlooked (unlike some of the shows mentioned here) and picking the recent 'Teenage Bounty Hunters' on Netflix. Saddled with an off putting title and poor marketing by Netflix - it had a great cast and some razor sharp dialogue along and deftly was able to juggle comedy and poignant moments. Deserved a bigger audience and many more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Loved it. Watched repeats of it in the late 90s. It used to be on really late mid week on Network 2. I haven't seen it repeated anywhere since. First Wave was on after it.
    it's on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 MichaelM93l

Channel 4’s Utopia was excellent, hadn’t seen anything like it at the time and sadly they cancelled it after two seasons. Highly recommend watching it.

They made an American version of it on Amazon prime which was muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Skerries wrote: »
    The Knick - again late 1800's in NY and a gritty hospital drama starring Clive Owen
    Gave this a try based on your recommendation and really enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Channel 4’s Utopia was excellent, hadn’t seen anything like it at the time and sadly they cancelled it after two seasons. Highly recommend watching it.

They made an American version of it on Amazon prime which was muck.

Is the British one available on All4 or any other streaming site? I did start the American one on Amazon and didn't find it great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

I know the thread does feature a lot of "popular but not as mainstream as they deserved to be" shows so here's another two that occurred to me after watching Gangster Squad the other night.

About 5 or 6 years ago, TNT made two high-quality 50/60's era crime shows - one was called Mob City and another was Public Morals.

The former was about the infamous gangsters operating in LA, the latter was about a semi-corrupt vice squad. Ed Burns was actually in both.

Both were very solid dramas with some great production values, but both were cancelled after one season.

Mob City in particular had a great cast. Jon Bernthal, Ed Burns, Simon Pegg, Neal McDonough, Alexa Davalos, and a pile of other faces you'd recognise. Was really disappointed it got cancelled.

Hell on Wheels

Magic City

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭billyhead

Has anyone seen The Deuce and if so is it worth watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For scifi fans some short lived 1990s series that deserved wider audience...

Prey, about a mutant human subspecies trying to become dominant ... elements of Xfiles and vampire mythology.

Total Recall 2070... this actually had more of a Blade Runner feel to it. A human detective and his replicant partner.

Mercy Point... set on a medical space station with a mix of human and alien staff

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

billyhead wrote: »

I gave up on it a couple of episodes into the second season. It just meandered a bit too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭golfball37

Firefly on Disney + is very good. A group of Wild West outlaws in space type show. Very underrated. One season, I can’t believe I never heard of it or that it wasn’t more lauded

• Registered Users Posts: 12 daithi_240

Sons of anarchy for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭crushproof

The Americans was criminally overlooked, the only folk I know who watched it was a small cohort here on boards! Absolutely incredible television with superb character development and a brilliant insight into both the Cold War spy game and American life in the 70's/80's.

Unfortunately just had a look and it's not available anywhere to stream, only to rent on Amazon Prime

golfball37 wrote: »
    Firefly on Disney + is very good. A group of Wild West outlaws in space type show. Very underrated. One season, I can’t believe I never heard of it or that it wasn’t more lauded

:D :pac:

Check out the film Serenity, yes the browncoats are very in a minority, low voiced, very underrated show ;)

The Last Ship.

Although it involves a pandemic so maybe not the escapism it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It has its fans. It’s a long way off The wire, show me a hero or generation kill to me.

I didn’t find James Franco’s or Maggie Gyllenhaal’s characters likeable. In fact I didn’t like any of the characters in the show that much really.

But series 3 and the way it ends will stay with you and haunt you. It ends quite well and in an emotionally involved way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Bates Motel
    Grimm
    Hannibal
    Orphan Black
    Silicon Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Recommended on here and im glad it was..I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Murphy's Law. Cop show with James Nesbitt working undercover. It started out as quite a lighthearted show but became very gritty and dark as it went on.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408403/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

It has its fans. It’s a long way off The wire, show me a hero or generation kill to me.

I didn’t find James Franco’s or Maggie Gyllenhaal’s characters likeable. In fact I didn’t like any of the characters in the show that much really.

But series 3 and the way it ends will stay with you and haunt you. It ends quite well and in an emotionally involved way.

Ah ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Weird City was a Sci-Fi anthology series co-created by Jordan Peele that had one season on Youtube a couple of years ago. Off the wall in places and a bit hit or miss but plenty of originality and highly enjoyable overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

I think Shameless USA is far superior than the UK version, and doesn't get the same recognition as other dark comedies. Lip has one of the best character arcs from any show.

Totally agree with this - like the US Office it's way better than the UK version. Not sure if it was ever shown in Ireland pre-Netflix but everyone should watch it now if they haven't as they have 9 of the 11 seasons up with season 10 coming soon.

Agree that Lip is an amazing character, keeping an eye out for future films/shows that Jeremy White is in.

Advertisement