Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked TV shows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Better caul Saul gets largely overlooked I think probably because it's a spin off.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mikey..

Is the sopranos really that good?

Carmella nearly makes it unwatchable

I'm not sure if anyone has posted it before, but Barry is really worth a watch.

Henry Winkler and Bill Hader are so good.

Season 2, Ep 5 is probably the best stand-alone ep I've ever watched on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Trust - The 8 part mini series about the Paul Getty Jr kidnapping was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I just want to say this thread is fantastic. Plenty of mentions of programmes, I have forgotten about. And others I never heard of.
    I have a lot a binge watching of the Detectorist tv programme (on you tube) which I would have been oblivious to otherwise.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Saw someone mention The Knick a couple of pages back. Superb show. Rewatching it again with the GF. Forgot just how good Clive Owen is in it. Shame it only got two seasons, as the whole story is great and indictive of the era it's set in.

Anyone else stumble across a show called The Black Donnellys? Was on late at night on RTE a few years ago. Thought it was good everytime I watched it, though never watched the entire series, so maybe contradicting myself.

I think Shameless USA is far superior than the UK version, and doesn't get the same recognition as other dark comedies. Lip has one of the best character arcs from any show.

Black Donnellys was grand, one season, not up to much, but a couple of good characters drove it on from what I remember. They ended up pulling it and showed the second half of the season online.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

The OA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Justified
    Orphan Black
    Bates Motel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

American Vandal.

Probably my favourite show on Netflix. A lot of people couldn't get past the knowingly silly humour that was front loaded for the first few episodes, but what made it so great was that it was a much smarter and deeper show than it had to be - it had lots of true and prescient things to say about the pressures of social life and the stratification of teenage life. And all of this was wrapped up in a pitch perfect piss take of true crime tropes and toilet humour. It was smart, funny, emotionally resonant and bloody gripping, season two reached near Hitchcockian levels of suspense. It's such a great show, but it never found much traction with people because at first glance it came across as just a spoof. Seriously slept on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Toast of London is a show most people would not have seen. It’s the funniest show I’ve seen since the inbetweeners. Graham Linehan is the writer.

• Advertisement

Not sure if it's overlooked or not, but Ted Lasso is a huge amount of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Toast of London is a show most people would not have seen. It’s the funniest show I’ve seen since the inbetweeners. Graham Linehan is the writer.

I love Toast. Strange to compare it to the Inbetweeners tho as it's much more offbeat and unique. I got great craic out of the Inbetweeners but it is very sophomoric, like a British TV version of American Pie.

Toast of London's theme song is killer, too, the star of the show wrote it and the video on youtube is worth a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

Not sure if it's overlooked or not, but Ted Lasso is a huge amount of fun.

Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I also like it. Graham Linehan was not involved though. It was written by Matt Berry (who is Toast) and Arthur Matthews. Arthur Matthews co-wrote Father Ted with Linehan. Matt Berry was the second CEO in The IT Crowd, which was written by Linehan.

I agree with the post above that it is not like The Inbetweeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Neverwhere. Excellent 90s miniseries from Neil Gaiman.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115288/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I hope that Blacksails was mentioned here at some stage, as it was easily the most overlooked show of the last 10 years. Most people who've watched it love it, but sadly many people have never even heard of it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 85,508 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I hope that Blacksails was mentioned here at some stage, as it was easily the most overlooked show of the last 10 years. Most people who've watched it love it, but sadly many people have never even heard of it.

Immense performance from Toby Stephens in that show.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Immense performance from Toby Stephens in that show.

Quite funny in BBC comedy Vexed with Lucy Punch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Sense 8
    The AO
    Banshee
    Spartacus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Bored To Death. Very funny but never made a big splash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Nowhere Man back in the mid 90s
    Only 1 series I can't figure out why

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

smilerf wrote: »

Loved it. Watched repeats of it in the late 90s. It used to be on really late mid week on Network 2. I haven't seen it repeated anywhere since. First Wave was on after it.

smilerf wrote: »

Had a Prisoner / Fugitive vibe. Really enjoyed it. Bruce Greenwood was v good in the main role.

Slings & Arrows. It was a big hit in its native Canada but didn't seem to get much traction this side of the Atlantic.

A sparkling comedy drama set behind the scenes of a Shakespeare festival starring Paul Gross (Due South) and an early role for Rachel McAdams in season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Midnight Texas

It wasn't great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Thanks for the feedback so far.

One show that keeps popping up here is Banshee so I may give that a watch.

Mythic Quest - it's very nerdy and I kind of like and hate it in equal parts, but it's fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Mythic Quest - it's very nerdy and I kind of like and hate it in equal parts, but it's fun.

I love the cast its got mac from Its always sunny in Philadelphia, Abed from Community and the legend F. Murray Abraham. They also had a great Lock down episode

Advertisement