Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think that is what the United Irelanders want as well. We have been told that after a border poll is lost, there will be one every seven years.

You're always at pains to tell us that it's a "minimum" of 7 years between referenda and that there's no onus to ever have one again.

So which is it?

Who's telling you that "there will be one every seven years"?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Granadino wrote: »
    Someone needs to reply to this bloke and explain to him what a bear is...

https://twitter.com/JL1690/status/1409571694180802563

maybe he already knows.

Can someone tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

9500 - ish pallets, it at least shows they are into the recycling.

Them blue ones are supposed to be leased

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Them blue ones are supposed to be leased

So are the red ones.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Haven't the Israelis tried that already, resettling Palestinians they don't agree with?

This has been suggested on boards before, and it is an incredibly crude proposal, asking people to leave their homes and communities behind and move somewhere else. A final solution by another name.

The Worker's Party had pay masters who were expert in relocating people, they didn't ask though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

https://twitter.com/JL1690/status/1409571694180802563
    It's what Rangers fans call themselves. Unlike the better known term used by others Huns.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

skimpydoo wrote: »
    It's what Rangers fans call themselves. Unlike the better known term used by others Huns.;)

If only I had known this when I lived in London. I could have sent all the Rangers fans to the bears club that was down the road from the pub I worked in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

https://twitter.com/Bangordub/status/1410546260403236864

Surely this will have issues for the FM position as the Largest party is entitled to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I'm astonished that it's taken until now for Easton to notice the lack of "respect" and "decency"

Very worrying for the DUP that the Ulster Unionists seem to have a leader at present that is at least respectful of the views of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

votecounts wrote: »

Surely this will have issues for the FM position as the Largest party is entitled to it

Had a quick look at the legislation, and it isn't quite clear on this point.

It reads to me like the provision for filling vacancies requires the largest party of the largest designation to nominate the First Minister.

Therefore SF not only need to be the largest party with the nationalist designation needs to be the largest designation.

Now that is a 2017 version of the Act I read, and it may have changed, or there may be provisions I missed. It doesn't quite fit with what I have previously read.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Had a quick look at the legislation, and it isn't quite clear on this point.

It reads to me like the provision for filling vacancies requires the largest party of the largest designation to nominate the First Minister.

Therefore SF not only need to be the largest party with the nationalist designation needs to be the largest designation.

Now that is a 2017 version of the Act I read, and it may have changed, or there may be provisions I missed. It doesn't quite fit with what I have previously read.

You missed a bit I think>

It is the 'largest party of the largest designation in the Assembly
    Essentially, after an election, the First Minister will normally come from within the largest designation (Nationalist, Unionist, or Other), nominated by the largest party within that designation. The deputy First Minister will then come from within the second largest designation (Nationalist, Unionist, or Other), nominated by the largest party within that designation.

That is where it is confusing.

The largest designation in the Assembly will still be unionist. The largest party of that designation will still be the DUP. Am I correct or will the UUP be bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

is there a vote on it or does the person nominated automatically gets the position?

The largest designation in the Assembly will still be unionist. The largest party of that designation will still be the DUP. Am I correct or will the UUP be bigger?

Yes. It won't change until there is an election. And it will be dependent on Other voting for the FM. They are a floating designation, as it where.

That is my read of it.

Yes. It won't change until there is an election. And it will be dependent on Other voting for the FM. They are a floating designation, as it where.

That is my read of it.

Yes, think you are right. This is from Section 16C which I hadn't got to, which provides:

"For the purposes of sections 16A and 16B and this section—
    (a)the size of a political party is to be determined by reference to the number of seats in the Assembly which were held by members of the party on the day on which the Assembly first met following its election;"

It actually means that if the DUP was reduced to one Assembly member tomorrow, by virtue of resignations, they would still have the right to be First Minister.

... and in a nutshell this is the massive flaw in the agreements.

How will we ever move past "both sides"/ "them 'uns" / "our community" etc. etc. when the Assembly forces MLAs to designate themselves as Taig or Prod ?

Almost every single issue be it sport, education, trade agreements, health etc is viewed through the lens of Unionist or Nationalist.

A sad sad state of affairs.

Choochtown wrote: »
    ... and in a nutshell this is the massive flaw in the agreements.

How will we ever move past "both sides"/ "them 'uns" / "our community" etc. etc. when the Assembly forces MLAs to designate themselves as Taig or Prod ?

Almost every single issue be it sport, education, trade agreements, health etc is viewed through the lens of Unionist or Nationalist.

A sad sad state of affairs.

It is anyway.
    The tragedy of the creation of an artificial majority at partiton at the behest and threat of Unionism.

If the GFA was properly implemented as envisaged - a process, then we would maybe have seen that diminish (doubtful IMO)
    But Unionism knows what it is doing in retarding that process by blocking and footdragging.
    Nationalists on the other hand have nothing to lose if the GFA is the process to normalisation that it was meant to be.

I just learnt the other day that anyone who refuses to designate themselves as "Unionist" or "Nationalist" and designates as "other" is not entitled to a vote when a petition of concern is raised.
    That's nothing short of disgraceful.

I think the GFA has served its purpose and run its course.

Maybe (hopefully) with the demise of the DUP and all of the vile bigotry that they have brought to politics in the North, something a bit more democratic and workable might emerge.

votecounts wrote: »

We're nearly getting to the point of election time.

I'd say in September a push will start. Because Easton won't be the last resignation this side of Christmas.

The DUP are done.

• Advertisement

I just learnt the other day that anyone who refuses to designate themselves as "Unionist" or "Nationalist" and designates as "other" is not entitled to a vote when a petition of concern is raised.

Maybe (hopefully) with the demise of the DUP and all of the vile bigotry that they have brought to politics in the North, something a bit more democratic and workable might emerge.

The GFA?

Surely you mean the Executive as it is structured currently?

Baby with the bathwater otherwise.

The opposite will likely happen, the DUP is going full National Front, they might not have as many seats but those they'll have will be held by the biggest bigots and There'll be no effort to hide their ties to the UDA,
    GFA is going nowhere and any vote on it would pass either side of the border with the only likely opponents in the Republic being FG

The GFA?

Surely you mean the Executive as it is structured currently?

Baby with the bathwater otherwise.

Sorry yes that's what I meant. Strand 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Aye, that's why you want the GFA gone alright.

Squeaky bum time for partitionists

Dyr wrote: »
    Aye, that's why you want the GFA gone alright.

Squeaky bum time for partitionists

I don't want the GFA gone.

An Assembly that is undemocratic needs to be fixed.

I don't want the GFA gone.

An Assembly that is undemocratic needs to be fixed.

It's not undemocratic. They agreed that's how it should work.
    It may have failed for various reasons but it isnt undemocratic.

It's not undemocratic. They agreed that's how it should work.
    It may have failed for various reasons but it isnt undemocratic.

For "petitions of concern" democracy is put aside and only MLAs who have designated themselves as Unionist or Nationalist can vote.

Any governmental procedure that denies the principle of "1 person=1 vote" is undemocratic.

For "petitions of concern" democracy is put aside and only MLAs who have designated themselves as Unionist or Nationalist can vote.

Any governmental procedure that denies the principle of "1 person=1 vote" is undemocratic.

Not when everyone agreed to it for the specific function it was meant to have.
    Misuse of it is undemocratic and moves have been made to tighten up use of it.

FG have spent tens of thousands buttering up to Jeffery, treating him like royalty at their Ard Dheis, think their pet loyalist us going to turn on them

• Advertisement

The opposite will likely happen, the DUP is going full National Front, they might not have as many seats but those they'll have will be held by the biggest bigots and There'll be no effort to hide their ties to the UDA,
    GFA is going nowhere and any vote on it would pass either side of the border with the only likely opponents in the Republic being FG
    What do you mean by "vote on the GFA"?

What exactly would FG be opposing?

Advertisement