Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

dwd wrote: »
    Got out for my first round as a member in Newlands this morning, 85 gross, was delighted with myself, had 8 pars in total :D, with a couple of looks at birdie, 2 doubles, 1 triple and the rest bogeys. Not too bad considering I've only had ~4 rounds on the 7 hole course in Grange Castle over the last 2 years!

I'm hoping it bodes well to getting back to single figures, I haven't been a member anywhere in about 5 years, so my target is to get a handicap in the low teens if I can manage before the end of the season. I'm half minded to focus on practice for the next couple of weeks before handing in my 3 cards so I can start from the lowest point. I don't know if that's as big an issue now with the new handicap system, as it looks like it should be easier to reduce handicap more quickly in the new system.

Similar situation and plan for me. I'd go with submitting the rounds, I was planning similar to you but you start off with a -2 deduction from your lowest scoring differential of the 3 scores, then average of the lowest 2 (up to 6 counting scores I think) with -1 deduction and then the deduction removes and it expands out then as you add rounds in terms of averages. So I went from 10.6 after 3 rounds, 9.9 after 5, 10.9 after 7 scores. Too low for how I'm currently playing so I expect to land around 12ish once I've the 20 scores gone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played The Island today! Christ I played shocking off the tee, everything else was decent but everything was going miles right off the tee.

25pts off 9.
    6 scratches due to lost balls off the tea.
    Course in good condition, first time playing it and was impressed with it.
    Enjoyed the round though, hoping for better things tomorrow.

Played Old Head today. Incredible views and scenery for the entire round, some spectacular holes but not really a links course at all and some holes are fairly boring. Still great value and worth playing at the current rate, wouldn't be rushing back but delighted to have played it.

Shocking round for me really, could not get any consistency outside of the par 5s which I played -1 for the round. Par 3s were woeful for me despite being the easiest holes on the course. Highlight for me was driving the short 15th par 4, still only managed a par though.

24 points off 13, index 10.9

Side note: could not get the Golf Ireland app to work on Old head, no signal and no signage indicating course/slope rating so couldn't work anything out until I got home tonight. My adjusted gross score would have barely broken 100 if I had managed to get to submit a score anyway so wouldn't have impacted my handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Played Old Head today. Incredible views and scenery for the entire round, some spectacular holes but not really a links course at all and some holes are fairly boring. Still great value and worth playing at the current rate, wouldn't be rushing back but delighted to have played it.

Shocking round for me really, could not get any consistency outside of the par 5s which I played -1 for the round. Par 3s were woeful for me despite being the easiest holes on the course. Highlight for me was driving the short 15th par 4, still only managed a par though.

24 points off 13, index 10.9

Side note: could not get the Golf Ireland app to work on Old head, no signal and no signage indicating course/slope rating so couldn't work anything out until I got home tonight. My adjusted gross score would have barely broken 100 if I had managed to get to submit a score anyway so wouldn't have impacted my handicap.

Playing there next Saturday for the 1st time, very much looking forward to it. Half price until mid July, don't think I could justify the green fee otherwise. Played Tralee earlier this summer for the 1st time and thought it was magnificent. Interested to see how the old head compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Played Thursday and had 35pts after having only 6 pts through the first 5 holes. Same carry on again today, 3 pts after 3 holes and never recovered ending up with 33pts. Our course has become very firm and the greens are bordering on unplayable to hit a 20-40 yd pitch into. Only a perfect shot will end up inside 10ft. Having said that I'm in a rut of silly errors that I need to eradicate struggling to stay in the single figures!!! Hopefully next week brings better performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Motivator

Played this morning in very tough conditions. The wind was howling and the greens were lightning. Usually I hit a drive and anywhere from a 6 iron to a wedge to the first green...today I hit a drive and a 3 wood and I was still just short. Played a great pitch to 4 feet and then the trouble started. I hit a good firm putt across a slope and it lipped out and rolled down the slope leaving me about 5 feet. Another good putt and it lipped out again. Then I proceeded to knock it in with one hand from 4 inches and my putter caught the ground and left me on the lip. I walked off with a 6 after doing all the hard work off the tee. Just couldn’t get anything going on the front and I was thinking I would be lucky to get 20 points the way I was playing. Finished with 11 points on the front.

Walked on to 10 and just decided to ease my way around the back as any chance of a score was gone. Ended up -1 for the back 9 - 8 pars and birdied the last after my approach hit the flag from 150 yards. Finished up with 36 points in total, really unbelievable after the front 9. It really is the most frustrating game in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Similar situation and plan for me. I'd go with submitting the rounds, I was planning similar to you but you start off with a -2 deduction from your lowest scoring differential of the 3 scores, then average of the lowest 2 (up to 6 counting scores I think) with -1 deduction and then the deduction removes and it expands out then as you add rounds in terms of averages. So I went from 10.6 after 3 rounds, 9.9 after 5, 10.9 after 7 scores. Too low for how I'm currently playing so I expect to land around 12ish once I've the 20 scores gone in.

Cool, I hadn't looked into the how the new system works, thanks for the info. It definitely makes sense to get the cards in as I go. It doesn't sound like I'll have to worry about be branded a bandit if I get a couple of half decent rounds in :)

dwd wrote: »
    Cool, I hadn't looked into the how the new system works, thanks for the info. It definitely makes sense to get the cards in as I go. It doesn't sound like I'll have to worry about be branded a bandit if I get a couple of half decent rounds in :)

I think unless you're actually a bandit its quite difficult to end up with a higher handicap when starting out unless you have 3 bad rounds instead of the usual inconsistencies most of us have. I know 2 others who joined the club with no handicaps and the highest any landed on was 14. It looks like they go for the lower side of things here anyway and let you gradually rise back to what you should be after you put in the full 20 rounds. That may be down to the club though as I think some have different criteria for handicap submissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Mad mad sport
    Ok, not a good golfer and way too inconsistent but this was madness. Off 24…thought was getting better…

9 points/57 shots front 9. Could not hit a ball straight or with typical fade, going every direction except where wanted. 3 bogeys were best holes.

Very nearly walked off and put my gear on buy and sell. Lads convinced to move on and go for winning the back 9 between the 3 of us (I do prefer the back 9, it’s supposed to be harder but I like it).

Then back 9, 45 shots and 22 points. F@&$ed if can tell you what did differently. 3 pars (2 of which were potential birdies), 5 bogeys and one mess up of a hole (down to used wrong wedge and left me in a horrible horrible position that not good enough to get myself out of).

Mad game. But, gagging to get out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Anybody else playing absolutely horrific since golf reopened?

7 of my next 9 scores are counting for handicap purposes so if I don’t get out of this rut soon that hard cap is going to get hit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I hate this game... 31pts net 81, scratched 4, playing off 25. HC is taking jumps up due to playing pants in Sunday comps.. not getting any consistency, but making the correct holes score.. not playing enough during the week which is a big factor.. back at it during the week... Need to get more balls..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

2 rounds to report.
    Won our uden cup match on Saturday. Satisfied with how I played. Won 5 holes and holed 2 or 3 clutch putts to halve holes. Finished the game on 17 with a birdie. Actually birdied 16 but lost the hole as one of the other team had a shot and also birdied

Monthly medal this morning. +10 gross which is -1 nett. Included a triple and a double bogey. Both scratches in stableford format. Had two other sloppy 3 putts. Hitting the ball well and putts were threatening the hole 90% of the time. On one hand I'm very happy with how I played but I really could have had a proper score today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Brutal.. am thinking of taking up darts instead as you only have to walk 7 feet if you make a town halls of it.

New irons (new to me) on the way that will hopefully add in a bit of a spark

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

almostover wrote: »
    Playing there next Saturday for the 1st time, very much looking forward to it. Half price until mid July, don't think I could justify the green fee otherwise. Played Tralee earlier this summer for the 1st time and thought it was magnificent. Interested to see how the old head compares.

Played the Golf Digest Open there on Friday. Magnificent course and scenery. The whole set up in the club was excellent.

The back 9 was class too.

Shot 32 points (H/C 19.3) C/H 22

18 points on the back 9 with no scratches so was delighted with that. Will definitely be back down to play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Another steady(ish) round in Moate on Sunday with 36pts off 18 and I was mostly very happy with my play but I did let 2 triple bogey's slip in this time. Otherwise I had 7 pars, 6 bogeys and 3 doubles.

Since the restart my handicap has been sprinting in the wrong direction but now I've arrested the slump, gone back below the 'soft cap' and 5 of my last 6 rounds are in my counting 8 with the last 5 of the 20 being my worst rounds by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭coillcam

Shot 97 for 79 net in the Captain's prize final over the weekend.

3 Pars
    8 Bogeys
    5 doubles
    2 Triples or worse

Was out of the running completely after the 5th hole (Par 3). Thought I escaped out of the front bunker but the green slopes back and ended up rolling back off the green into the same spot. Then I bladed through the green, almost to the next tee box. My recovery chip was long and trickled back into the same bunker :o. All I could do was laugh when I finally tapped in for a 7. Nonetheless the lads I was playing with made for an enjoyable round in good weather.

Managed to muscle out a PB drive of 305 yards which was the only highlight. The long game with driver and hybrids is in great nick. Irons and short game in bits, a lesson and lots of practice over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Played my first competition, minor scratch cup!

Thanks to my playing partners for putting up with me and helping me out. Hot sunny day sapped my energy and I fell away on the back 9.

I'll stick to Stapleford after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

36 points on Saturday and I didn't strike the ball that well so I suppose I'd have to be happy! I think I only hit 3 greens in regulation and I'd 4 terrible drives on the last 5 holes to leave me in trouble off the tee but my chipping and putting was probably as good as its ever been! I got up and down to rescue par on 5 holes on the back 9 and chipped in for birdie (and a share of the 2's) on the par 3 9th....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

slingerz wrote: »
    Anybody else playing absolutely horrific since golf reopened?

7 of my next 9 scores are counting for handicap purposes so if I don’t get out of this rut soon that hard cap is going to get hit

I'm certainly in that boat with you. Before lockdown I was showing signs of coming into form. Not setting the world alight for a full 18, but the last 3 times I played before lockdown I had a +15 with 5 doubles and a triple, a +15 with 3 doubles and two triples and a +4 (only got to play 12 holes) with two doubles. In the 8 rounds before lockdown I played the front 9 level par one day and had a stretch from 6-14 level par. With my handicap now, they'd be for 26 points. In the four competitive rounds I've played since coming back I've had 22, 27, 25 and 25 (had the stroke play event been stableford.

I thought I was starting to play decent again and I'd be able to knock a few of those big numbers off my card and get back to low teens at least. Instead I've now gone out to 17.7 and it's only going up.

And there's no easy fix for me. My irons used to be the best part of my game - long, straight, mi****s were generally just leaked out to the right. Now I'm throwing in shanks and duffs. And shanks on that course can take you out of a hole. I've started throwing in awful three putts, which is mainly because I'm fed up scoring so badly. I do think if I was on a half decent score I'd pick up a couple of shots putting from simply concentrating. I wish I was trying stupid shots that I could eliminate, but my big scores (+2 or more) yesterday were from - mi****ting a 9i layup, a pulled drive, a shank, pulled a wedge, pulled a 5w, shanked an 8i, 8i got caught in the wind and came up 20 yards short coupled with a 3 putt, mi**** a wedge through a green.

It's all well and good saying just stop mi****ting irons, but that's not easy! I think a lot of the problem is that I'm trying to hit them differently to how I grew up hitting them. I hit my irons very high. Back home, the course was far longer, but far more forgiving. If you miss the green in Corballis by 20m, there's a decent chance you won't find your ball. In Tramore, you'll still have a shot onto the green. And that's the difference between hoping to get up and down for 2 par, but feeling confident of the bogey compared to hoping to find your ball so you can hack out and salvage a bogey / double. So when I hit them high in Corballis the wind will move them a long way and often into trouble. Especially for high irons - I hit an 8i yesterday into a huge wind. My 8i would usually carry 140m. This one went about 85m. So just hitting them normally is not an option. So I'll often try to hit them low - take the ball back in my stance, grip down, etc. And the result of that to be honest is very mixed. I used to think being forced to learn these shots would make me a better golfer, but now I'm not so sure. Because the other parts of my game have gone to crap - driving is massively inconsistent (again I'm often trying to keep it low), and my normal irons are prone to mi****s too.

A part of me is tempted to pop back home for an open to see how I'd get on. I played there last year when I was playing off 14 and had 36 points. The time before that I was a member there. I was playing off 13 and had 41 points. I'd get a full 10 shots back on the handicap I had when I was a member there, so surely I'd return some sort of a decent score. But I'm not confident. A part of me thinks even with the handicap of 21 I'd struggle to break 30.

Edit: I just had a look at my stats. I didn't realise how bad my putting was. I three putted on 7, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16. I also picked up before getting to 3 greens, so actually three putted 6 out of 15 holes. Being honest, most of the reason for this was loss of interest. Only 10 was from more than 15 feet and even that wasn't a tough putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Played an open in Lucan today. 32 points off 15. Happy enough with that as it was my first time playing it. Probably would've been closer to my handicap if it didn't take me so long to understand the pace of the greens and a few shots I would've played differently if I knew the course. Overall it's a lovely parkland course in great condition, especially the greens.

• Advertisement

Won my first matchplay club match (long hc event) his evening on 1st play-off hole. We both had same hc so made life easy. Started poorly going two down through 7. Gradually found my groove over next few holes and ended up 3up with 3 left. Had a stretch of 4/5 GIRs on holes 11-15 to pile on the pressure. Nightmare last 3 holes with two penalties, basically going 10, 8, 7 on par 5,4,5 finish.

We both sliced our tee shot on 1st playoff hole but got lucky to miss trees and had SW in. Stuck mine pin high 15 feet. Opponent over clubbed and went over back of the green. Severe downslope putt with 2 tiers that left him outside 10ft. I rolled up for a gimme par, he missed his 4th and took the W.

Brilliant format to play and thoroughly enjoyed the round. Looking forward to next match in r2. Got drawn first round of main matchplay comp against the club captain. Cant wait to get out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

37 points, which included 4 birdies and 4 double bogeys - an infuriating game!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

OEP wrote: »
    37 points, which included 4 birdies and 4 double bogeys - an infuriating game!

So a good round of golf then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

After 3 rounds in the high seventies off of 6/7 today I return to reality with 22 points. Golf is hard 😕
    My father asked me how many holes did I play and unfortunately the answer is 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

So a good round of golf then :D

Yea, but doesn't feel like it when I was 28 points through 11!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

OEP wrote: »
    Yea, but doesn't feel like it when I was 28 points through 11!

Ah was in the same boat myself a couple of weeks ago, 36 walking off 15th green and finished with 37 points

Ah was in the same boat myself a couple of weeks ago, 36 walking off 15th green and finished with 37 points

Its a nightmare... I would consider myself a general decent striker of the ball(playing of 7) but this random snap hook has crept into my game and its ruining my rounds! I was 3 over through 14 a few Sundays back and then I snapped hooked my drive OOB's on the 15th and then did the exact same 17th!! Played the last 4 holes 7 over :eek::eek:

Its a nightmare... I would consider myself a general decent striker of the ball(playing of 7) but this random snap hook has crept into my game and its ruining my rounds! I was 3 over through 14 a few Sundays back and then I snapped hooked my drive OOB's on the 15th and then did the exact same 17th!! Played the last 4 holes 7 over :eek::eek:

My first few holes and last few holes are almost always the worst lately. Putting seems to have regressed badly. So from holes 3-15 I mostly play to my handicap or even a couple better.

The last few is 100% tiredness and concentration on tricky holes that demand full attention. The first couple is almost always jitters even if I've warmed up.

Obviously, I need to work on putting significantly. Looking at hydration, snacks and general improvement in fitness for the last few holes. The starting holes are 100% headworms and I hope will pass in time.

coillcam wrote: »
    My first few holes and last few holes are almost always the worst lately. Putting seems to have regressed badly. So from holes 3-15 I mostly play to my handicap or even a couple better.

The last few is 100% tiredness and concentration on tricky holes that demand full attention. The first couple is almost always jitters even if I've warmed up.

Obviously, I need to work on putting significantly. Looking at hydration, snacks and general improvement in fitness for the last few holes. The starting holes are 100% headworms and I hope will pass in time.

Yes I've been putting my some of these random hooks off the Tee down to tiredness in the closing holes. Although its starting to get into my head slightly, I played 9 holes after work yesterday and I had the fear of a snap hook standing over every drive. I used to never have those thoughts, Id just get up there and let fly....hoping its just a phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

played 13 holes last night.
    Mixture of the bad and beautiful

Power bladed my first tee shot up onto the green and made par
    made bogey on second hole from a real crappy lie
    parred the 3rd which is index 1 which is a decent start - 6 points

wheels came off on the 4th, scratch, double bogey, scratch, bogey
    horrible run of holes.
    Got mad, was mad at the stupid pro who literally told me I swung like a girl the night before. First of all thats a stupid insult, took out my 4 iron and hit it 240 yards down the 8th fairway. Made birdie.
    9th hole, swung hard, lovely tiger line but a bit too hard so made another par
    10th up and down for a great par, 11th par, 12th hole Birdie and 13th a lipped out birdie putt

stupid golf pros, stupid beautiful game

Advertisement