Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Played a comp this morning. Scored 30 points off 17.

1 birdie
    4 pars
    5 bogeys
    8 doubles or worse
    3 OBs
    1 Water

Mixed round for me today but the penalties killed any chance of making a decent score. The highlight hole was short Par 4 with a 278-yard drive followed by a fluffed pitch that landed in a greenside bunker. Then I proceeded to hole out for birdie from the sand in front of the clubhouse. I even got a little clap from a couple of people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

36 points off 8 today. Irons, and short game are on fire, driver on the other hand, that's a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭willabur

big_drive wrote: »
    4 over for nine holes at Purcell level won't see you beaten any day

Played PP Friday and we were 5 over after 9, we were 5 down after 9 also. Have seen it a few times now that players in interclubs in the mid to high handicap ranges can have capacity to go low

Played awful in the PP on friday, foursome is a tough format to play if both players aren't playing well. Didn't really know each other which made it tricky to gel. Our were out of position once on the front 9 and once again on the second nine. Hit every single fairway and green on a tight golf course. We were toast

Managed to get out yesterday morning hoping to get over the disappointment of the interclubs match. Started terribly, 2 points in first 4 holes. Managed to get my game going from hole 5 onwards. Started to keep the ball in play, hitting fairways and greens. Ended up with 34 points off 12. But for the sloppy start I was looking at a good score, happy enough given how friday and the first 4 holes went

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

Crap again - 25 points. Handicap up to 17.2 and it's only going one way. 5 of my 8 counting rounds are in my oldest 10 comps.

I had to reload from the tee three times. And putted really badly. I actually chipped quite well, but wasn't making the putts at all. And I had 3 shockingly bad 3 putts. Two from about 10 feet.

I actually struck the ball well for the most part though. Aside from two duffs and two pulled irons, my irons were excellent. I used the driver 6 times and hit 6 good shots with it. One of them lost on 12, but it was barely off line. Very unlucky to lose it. The other 5 were exactly what I'd hope for on the tee.

I just don't know where I'm going so wrong though. I was pulling together some good runs before the last lockdown - level par on the front 9 one day, level for a 9 hole stretch in the middle another round, played 12 one day and had 8 pars and a bird (and two bodies and a double). Whereas yesterday I had 2 pars and a bird. And 5 bogies and 5 doubles and a triple and two scratches. I'm very soon going to have a handicap in the 20s and it'll be there on merit. I still think of myself as a golfer with my old handicap who's just out of form, but I wonder do I have reset my opinions of myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 CackHand

I played my first open yesterday in Enniscorthy.

Have been playing horribly of late and WHS has gone up to 17.9. Played the medal in my home course on Saturday and had my worst ever round without a single par (or green I believe). Hitting the ball horrifically.

I had 10 points on the front 9 with three scratches and 5 3 putts in the first 7 holes. I was learning the hard way that this was a track where you needed to hit it straight with some very mature and penal trees. 27 holes without a par over the weekend at this point. Despite this I was happy enough as i had started to strike irons better than I have for the last month, so overall I was relieved.

Golf is a strange game and I had 25 points (3 over gross) on the back 9 to finish with a respectable 35 points and a much needed confidence boost.

I was pleasantly surprised by the course and I thought it was a really good layout. Could be maintained better, particularly the bunkers which were really bad, but the holes present a good challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

43 tonight in the last of my cards before getting my handicap now I've 54 holes submitted. Could have been so much better if not for 2 lost balls off the tee. Curious to see what I end up with now but expecting some fairly big fluctuations over the next few months as I work towards the 20 rounds.

1 birdie
    3 pars
    2 bogeys
    2 doubles
    1 triple

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

40pts off 19 and won my category prize in the weekend competition. I've been playing brutal lately so it was a nice change for things to go right. Once I got a lucky break or two early on I didnt try too hard and it definitely helped my game. Just concentrated on one shot a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Played foursome practice for PP match. Was 4down after 7 holes. Gifted each of them to our opponents but rallied to win next 4 in a row. Nip and tuck until we finally went ahead on 16 and won 17 to close the match.
    Driving was poor by me but short game was excellent.
    9 pars (parred the 18th too)
    4 bogeys
    5 doubles.

Played Rathdowney for the first time ever today in an open singles. I only scored 28pts but I was happy enough as I had 18pts on the back 9 once I got going. Lovely friendly club and while the course layout / variety isnt very exciting it is really well maintained. For €15 it's good value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

94 strokes in our medal last weekend, took a snowman on the 4th par 4 which mentally finished me. Off the back tees I was trying to bust the ball all day when really there was no need. Anyway took 43 putts!! The most I've ever recorded, felt I was on a slope all day when I wasn't!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I had booked to play on my own yesterday after a terrible round on Sunday. Bit of practice and maybe playing a second ball if there was no one behind me. Someone booked in to play with me which turned out to be handy as I'm still getting my three cards for my handicap.

It was a lovely round. I started out horrifically with a hook I didn't know how to fix. Lost two balls in the first four holes. Then all of a sudden I rotated my body more, cocked my wrist more and the hook was gone! I ended up having a really enjoyable round. My putting was the only thing stopping me getting 7 or 8 pars (I finished with 4) which would be by far my best performance.

So, in summary I shot 97. 8 shots better than I had two days earlier and bounced out with loads of confidence that I had potentially solved a problem that had been bugging me for a few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

34(17/17) playing off 17. Similar scoring now in my last 5 rounds, all between 32-35 points. Was fairly happy with my game in general today, 8 bogeys in a row at one point but that's playing to my handicap.

Shot 78 in deer park yesterday. Played decent on what is a pretty straightforward golf course

Something very nasty happened on first hole. Had a tee time booked for 6.40 but they let walk ons in ahead of us. That was fine. We teed off at 6.50. I hit a good drive and my partner hit an okay one down the right beside ob. As we walked off the tee two lads walked onto it. They said hello to my partner. Grand
    We walked down the fairway about 150 yards next thing smack, golf ball to the side of the head. Same two lads behind us. Couldn't believe it. No shout of fore, nothing... Lost it with them, went back up the fairway and lit up on them. Pair of scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

28 points (14/14) off 10 yesterday. Nothing went right and it was the worst score I could have had.

Struck the ball quite well without much reward.

Lipped out 5 times from close range.

3 pars.
    13 bogeys.
    1 double.
    1 treble (lost ball).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

willabur wrote: »
    Shot 78 in deer park yesterday. Played decent on what is a pretty straightforward golf course

Something very nasty happened on first hole. Had a tee time booked for 6.40 but they let walk ons in ahead of us. That was fine. We teed off at 6.50. I hit a good drive and my partner hit an okay one down the right beside ob. As we walked off the tee two lads walked onto it. They said hello to my partner. Grand
    We walked down the fairway about 150 yards next thing smack, golf ball to the side of the head. Same two lads behind us. Couldn't believe it. No shout of fore, nothing... Lost it with them, went back up the fairway and lit up on them. Pair of scumbags
    Jesus thats bad form, I've had balls land close from lads cutting corners or not waiting for a bell etc but nothing like that.

I'm presuming your alright considering your score

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Jesus thats bad form, I've had balls land close from lads cutting corners or not waiting for a bell etc but nothing like that.

I'm presuming your alright considering your score

Not 100% if I am honest. Got a serious shock when it happened.
    Feeling a bit woozy today, will probably go to the doctors later on. Prob have a bloody concussion :(

Just rang the golf club there to register the incident with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

Played Rathdowney for the first time ever today in an open singles. I only scored 28pts but I was happy enough as I had 18pts on the back 9 once I got going. Lovely friendly club and while the course layout / variety isnt very exciting it is really well maintained. For €15 it's good value for money.

Thats my home club, i think that is a fair assessment. It is very well maintained IMO, but probably not the most exciting due to lack of water. A good long course though and very well run, great to have it 10 minutes drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

Not 100% if I am honest. Got a serious shock when it happened.
    Feeling a bit woozy today, will probably go to the doctors later on. Prob have a bloody concussion :(

Just rang the golf club there to register the incident with them.

Definitely get it checked out. Might be no harm to go sooner too. We've had a lot of concussions in our hurling club. They can be very serious and take a while to manifest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

That’s absolutely shocking. What did they say to you? What reason did they give for hitting? I’d have gone straight into the pro or the clubhouse, no way should you have played on.

• Advertisement

Motivator wrote: »
    That’s absolutely shocking. What did they say to you? What reason did they give for hitting? I’d have gone straight into the pro or the clubhouse, no way should you have played on.

I gave them a good blast, had the golf ball with me. Told them it wasn't good enough, they saw us walk down the fairway less than 2 mins before they played, they didn't bother to shout fore. I was livid, shouting at them. I should have gone into the club house to complain but I didn't, I continued to play which in hindsight was a mistake but was keen to catch up with a friend and not let these two bozos ruin the night.

Went to the doctor today and he diagnosed a mild concussion, no serious damage done thankfully,

I also rang the club to register the incident with them. They have details of the fella who booked the slot after us.

I gave them a good blast, had the golf ball with me. Told them it wasn't good enough, they saw us walk down the fairway less than 2 mins before they played, they didn't bother to shout fore. I was livid, shouting at them. I should have gone into the club house to complain but I didn't, I continued to play which in hindsight was a mistake but was keen to catch up with a friend and not let these two bozos ruin the night.

Went to the doctor today and he diagnosed a mild concussion, no serious damage done thankfully,

I also rang the club to register the incident with them. They have details of the fella who booked the slot after us.

Were the young lads? Surely had to have been. I’d put money on it that they’re new members. I can’t see anyone who is playing the game properly or for any length of time doing something like that. We go on about rules and etiquette not being adhered to but Jesus Christ a stray ball can kill someone. There’s an old lad that frequents the clubhouse in our local club, he got a smack of a ball from a playing partner about 15 years ago and was never the same after. He doesn’t play anymore and suffers with his nerves, he just loves being in and around the club itself. I’d have flattened the two guys stranding on the tee box I’ll be honest.

37pts off 19 in an Open Competition at Balbriggan yesterday which I was delighted with as I'd never played there before. Played with 3 members who I'd never met before and they were really friendly and welcoming. It's a really nice course too. Plenty of variety on holes and really well looked after. The greens were perfect. It was pretty busy but moved along at a good pace the whole time with minimal waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

92(75 nett) in first medal of the year. Decent round except for a big fat 10 on one of the par 4s. Even a double bogey there would've put me nett below par. Oh well that's strokeplay for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

90 this evening. Actually better than I thought I was doing but both myself and playing partner struggled from the 1st with us both losing one of the tee. I managed to avoid totally collapsing and generally bogied or doubled my way around with 4 pars but it was a struggle of a round.

Finally got my handicap this week and am at 10.6 but don't expect to be playing to do that anytime soon so expect it to gradually creep up as I add more scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

23, yes 23 points off 20 yesterday.

4 Pars
    3 Bogeys
    5 Doubles
    6 Scratches

Just one of those days, my short game has been masking my terrible iron striking lately but that totally deserted me yesterday so there was no lipstick to put on the pig. Driving was either a sky high pull left (my driver NEVER goes left) or an absolute laser beam straight down the centre of the fairway with no middle ground.

36 points this morning off 16. My ball striking was sublime but my putting was atrocious and cost me probably 6 or 7 points if not more. My driving and iron play was excellent and a slight change to my grip for my chips and pitches has been an absolute game changer.

8 birdie putts, not one of them dropped and I walked away with only 3 pars from those 8 holes. Very encouraging and disappointing at the same time but a score is coming, I can feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

32 off 12.
    1 birdie
    5 pars
    9 bogeys
    3 double bogey
    Driving is poor so resorted to the 3 wood off the tee. Short game was decent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Played my first stroke play comp today which was why I couldn't play the boards event. Shot 93 or net +2 off 19 in the Captains prize qualifier from back tees.

4 pars
    7 bogeys
    7 doubles

This was a hugely satisfying round for many reasons. No penalties and nothing worse than a triple which is a first. I had a great chance to hit a pb score today but finished with too many 3 putts tbh. Greens were like a snooker table. Lightning quick with very subtle break and so hard to stick approach shots. First time I played where it was this tough for putting. Depending on tomorrows results I have a decent chance of squeaking into final round next week. Of course I teed off with a duck hook through trees and into the 3rd fairway. Blessed that no-one was in the ball's path. That said this is my 2nd best score on WHS differential (16.7) so I'm happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

First full (casual) 18 after getting a 22 handicap (21 on WHS).

20 points. 6 bogies and 5 doubles I can live with but eliminating the 7 worse is the real goal. Some poor tee shots to blame including 3 lost balls.

Happy out all the same.

Advertisement