Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Can’t play more than 9 holes with my back. So frustrating. Just getting into the stance over the ball being the problem. Going on with months and can’t sort it. Complete disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played twice the weekend.

Friday comp - 38pts, was enough for 3rd in the comp.
    Was on for a serious round after 5 holes, I was -1 gross. Then a double bogey and a bogey on the next 2 holes brought me back to reality. managed to steady the ship with a couple of pars, only to bogey the easiest hole on the course due to pure stupidity.
    6/14 fairways
    7/18 GIR
    29 putts.

Was out again Saturday morning for 9 holes, completely different story. Couldn't hit the ball out of my way for the first 3 holes. had 2pts after 3 holes, managed to get a bit of a run going to end with 15pts for the 9 holes. You have to love golf, just when you think you have a run of good form going it gives you the kick up the arse to remind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Played my first ever interclub match yesterday and won 5&4.
    Playing partner and I both played really solid stuff after we both made a mess of the 1st. Won 4 holes in a row after that and never looked back. It really is a very enjoyable thing to play for your club. It was my first competitive sport representing a club since I stopped playing football at 17. After playing that it really makes me regret giving up football so young but at the time I couldn't commit to training/matches with my work schedule. Team won 4-1 so we are through to the next round and I did my chances of being picked again no harm with the round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

31 points in capt qualifier.

Last two rounds at home course have been qualifiers and have put two poor rounds in. Its okay, will be away for that weekend anyways.

13 points on front 9 yesterday, 14 on front 9 last week.
    Back 9s have been much healthier with 21 points and 18 yesterday. Hit every green from 8 right through to 18 with one exception. Feel a good score is there, just need to be less hungover getting to the course

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Pierce purcell match. Played away and were called in after 16 as we had lost 2 at home and our other away match.
    Thought we played well but let our opponents off the hook midway through the round after they got into trouble and some sloppy play by us gave them 2 soft halves.
    It was a real ding dong battle from then on and we went one down after 16 but still had a chance. Shame to go out first round but someones got to win and someone's got to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

What a difference a week or so makes, from the disaster of my last round - my next one was the polar opposite.

Played the first round of interclub matchplay at the weekend, nervous as hell as my game was in bits, then add in team and club captain standing on the tee box as the three home singles matches tee'd off.

I was third out and after seeing 5 perfect tee shots go down the fairway my head was in a mess, thinking of topped drives in Co. Louth. Deep breath, slowed down, closed my eyes and absolutely nailed my drive!! The first of many many great shots!!!

I should have won the first hole but missed a simple short par putt due to nerves but that seemed to settle me as I sank the return putt - A/S.
    Won the 2nd with a bogie to go 1up, its a par 3 and i hit my tee shot way left but chipped to the centre of the green, hit my putt to the lip of the cup.
    Halved the 3rd, 4th & 5th with some great play by both of us!!
    Won the 6th with two great putts after a shaky approach, again i messed up my tee shot but hit my approach to the middle of the green and hit my putt right up to the cup. (Par 3)
    Birdie on the 7th after hitting my drive too long so had to chip out to fairway - then stitched my approach to a foot (Par 5)
    Halved the short Par 4 8th with excellent play by both of us - 2 pars
    Won the 9th with a Par after approach landed in the middle of the green and rolled my put up to within a foot (Par 3)
    Won the 10th after hitting a drive the furthest I've ever hit on the hole and my opponent lost his drive right, same with provisional ball.
    Again on the 11th, hit my drive 250m and opponent went right again and into trees so had to chip out. I hit my approach to the fringe pin high and sank the putt - my second birdie!
    12th hole is an extremly tough Par 3 - 186 yards with trouble all around it. I often get a slagging for playing it so safe but I nomally hit a 6 iron to the front of the green and chip up. Done the same on Saturday only my 6 iron rolled right up onto the green while my oppenent was short left. He chipped to middle of the green and I hit my putt to about a foot from the pin. He left his a mile short and missed the putt and I won the hole and the match 7&6!!

Absolutely delighted with how I played, driver worked well, approach shots same but my putter was on fire - apart from the first putt, I hit everything to within tapping-in distance.
    Onwards to the second round early July.

Lets hope i can bring some of this game to my next few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

First time posting here in a while. A solid 38 points at the weekend, first decent round in a long time with no doubles to report on the card.
    9 pars, 2 birds, 7 bogies.

Putting has always been my major weakness and I managed to avoid any putting disasters on Sunday. Driving was good bar 2 I slightly pushed into the trees on 7 and 15. Had a great up and down for par on the 7th and missed a 10ft par putt on 15 but other than that I was pretty happy with my ball striking. Got fitted for new Ping i500's at Christmas and I am now striking them as well as I ever hit an iron.

My previous outing I had 33 points but also 3 putted on 5 holes :eek::eek: !! So if I can get the putter going even lukewarm for the summer I might get a decent run of results going!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

40 points(19/21) off 16. Best round in a while, possibly ever at 83 strokes. Chipping on fire which led to several tap in pars. 2 scratches caused by following one mistake with another as I tend to do.

11 pars
    4 bogey
    1 double
    2 treble(scratch)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

charlieIRL wrote: »
    What a difference a week or so makes, from the disaster of my last round

Your experience at Louth toughened you up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Despite the fact that it was lashing rain for over half the round I had 41pts off 19 in Moate yesterday evening and was 2nd in the Thursday Open competition.

I had 4 pars, 1 birdie, 12 bogeys and most importantly only 2 doubles (and I got 2pts on one of them anyway). Really happy with that, nothing spectacular just good steady golf and I made the right decisions more often than I normally do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

A disappointing 30 points yesterday in the open in at Grange GC. Actually played quite well but a few wayward drives costs me big, so little room for error off the tee with the large tress on that course. Also didn't get that we got completely soaked for the entire back 9!

1 birdie, 9 pars, 4 bogies, 2 doubles, 2 scratches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

Shot 26 points for a 15 hole comp yesterday (Weekly long handicap event). The weather was miserable but dried up for the last couple of holes. Enjoyable evening nonetheless and sank a couple of long putts for par.

The highlight was reaching my first Par 5 in 2, the less said about the 3 putt for par the better :pac:

I don't think I'll bother playing this event anymore as it doesn't count towards my HC and I don't have any chance of even placing as the scoring is ridiculously suspicious imo. The winners always seem to be 5+ shots better than their HC. Yesterday's winner for example was 8 shots better than his HC through the 15 holes and won't get cut at all :pac:. My playing partner said that due to the comp being mostly 12 or 15 holes that it can't be used for HC purposes under WHS rules. Only 9/18 holes are allowed according to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

coillcam wrote: »
    Shot 26 points for a 15 hole comp yesterday (Weekly long handicap event). The weather was miserable but dried up for the last couple of holes. Enjoyable evening nonetheless and sank a couple of long putts for par.

The highlight was reaching my first Par 5 in 2, the less said about the 3 putt for par the better :pac:

I don't think I'll bother playing this event anymore as it doesn't count towards my HC and I don't have any chance of even placing as the scoring is ridiculously suspicious imo. The winners always seem to be 5+ shots better than their HC. Yesterday's winner for example was 8 shots better than his HC through the 15 holes and won't get cut at all :pac:. My playing partner said that due to the comp being mostly 12 or 15 holes that it can't be used for HC purposes under WHS rules. Only 9/18 holes are allowed according to him.

That's nothing, 31 points won our 10 hole midweek comp a few weeks ago. No typo there, 31 points 10 holes.

More and more members aren't bothering with it at all. The 9th hole finishes at the clubhouse so you have to go out of your way to make it non qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

PARlance wrote: »
    That's nothing, 31 points won our 10 hole midweek comp a few weeks ago. No typo there, 31 points 10 holes.

More and more members aren't bothering with it at all. The 9th hole finishes at the clubhouse so you have to go out of your way to make it non qualifying.
    That's completely taking the pi$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

mid forties winning our comps

31 for nine is mental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

What handicap were they?

Sadly this seems to be the case in a lot of places that took in new members during covid and the exacerbated by the change over to WHS.

I've seen a 56 point fourball winning score from 2 guys in their first comp; a net 61 in a medal of another guy who'd only just got the handicap and played 1 comp 3 days before which he clearly pulled up in on the back 9; and 49 points from another member in their first comp.

Also there are rumours of a net 56 in a ladies medal :D

What handicap were they?

Sadly this seems to be the case in a lot of places that took in new members during covid and the exacerbated by the change over to WHS.

I've seen a 56 point fourball winning score from 2 guys in their first comp; a net 61 in a medal of another guy who'd only just got the handicap and played 1 comp 3 days before which he clearly pulled up in on the back 9; and 49 points from another member in their first comp.

On the plus side, if these scores are in their first few, then those will effectively be their new handicaps. WHS is very front-loaded for handicap adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Since we've gone back to comps in May 41 has been the average winning score in my place. That includes a 48 pointer.

I think that's pretty low considering the weather we've had since going back. It's regarded as an easy course if the weather is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

The 9th hole finishes at the clubhouse so you have to go out of your way to make it non qualifying.

Comp entirely for bandits, that's farcical!

mid forties winning our comps

31 for nine is mental

Same here, even a 51 a couple of weeks ago which was the talk of the club for a while. I think it'll settle down as the summer goes on and people's handicaps adjust accordingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

blue note wrote: »
    Since we've gone back to comps in May 41 has been the average winning score in my place. That includes a 48 pointer.

I think that's pretty low considering the weather we've had since going back. It's regarded as an easy course if the weather is good.

that 48 points looks.... ridiculous - looks like a quirk of the new system

new member with just 5 cards submitted.
    100,107, 110 (gets handicap of 32), 86!!, handicap then down to 20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

45 is about the average in our place

I played with one of the winners off 45, having had a reduction due to 36 points previous day!! He was losing balls left right and centre. But that is OK when pars could be worth 5 points

If he was made play off a maximum 28 I guarantee he would be worried about those last balls

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What handicap were they?

High 20's and can't be put down to a new member I'm afraid. There's a few captain's prizes on the mantle piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

prawnsambo wrote: »
    On the plus side, if these scores are in their first few, then those will effectively be their new handicaps. WHS is very front-loaded for handicap adjustments.

The net 61 was eligible for the cut under WHS. The 49 was last year around Sept and the fourball isn't eligible (I believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Got out for my first round as a member in Newlands this morning, 85 gross, was delighted with myself, had 8 pars in total :D, with a couple of looks at birdie, 2 doubles, 1 triple and the rest bogeys. Not too bad considering I've only had ~4 rounds on the 7 hole course in Grange Castle over the last 2 years!

I'm hoping it bodes well to getting back to single figures, I haven't been a member anywhere in about 5 years, so my target is to get a handicap in the low teens if I can manage before the end of the season. I'm half minded to focus on practice for the next couple of weeks before handing in my 3 cards so I can start from the lowest point. I don't know if that's as big an issue now with the new handicap system, as it looks like it should be easier to reduce handicap more quickly in the new system.

40 points(19/21) off 16. Best round in a while, possibly ever at 83 strokes. Chipping on fire which led to several tap in pars. 2 scratches caused by following one mistake with another as I tend to do.

11 pars
    4 bogey
    1 double
    2 treble(scratch)

Back to reality this morning with 32(18/14). Didnt find many fairways and found it very hard hitting out of wet rough. Scratched the 1st which I haven't done in a long time and I don't think I ever mentally recovered, the persistent rain didn't help.

1 birdie
    4 par
    7 bogey
    4 double
    2 treble(scratch)

Last 6 rounds I've had 2 scratches per round which is interesting. No pattern to it either, always different holes and different reasons

The net 61 was eligible for the cut under WHS. The 49 was last year around Sept and the fourball isn't eligible (I believe).
    Yeah, fourball better ball is not eligible. Yet. Murmurings that this may change in the not too distant future. Makes sense to me if (as I understand) 10 hole scores from 18 is acceptable for handicap purposes. There would probably be an instruction to finish out holes that wouldn't be scratched in singles play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

willabur wrote: »
    that 48 points looks.... ridiculous - looks like a quirk of the new system

new member with just 5 cards submitted.
    100,107, 110 (gets handicap of 32), 86!!, handicap then down to 20

I got a handicap of 21 last year and I think my best card was at the time was 103. My mate was similar in scoring and given 18 which was fairly arbitrary I thought anyway. I'm only now able to score more than 30 points and the most adjustment I had last year was +0.1. Obviously, I've improved since then and WHS has cut me extra strokes but I've settled now around 16. Hopefully, it'll all even out soon with the WHS system as everyone gets used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

gypsy79 wrote: »
    If he was made play off a maximum 28 I guarantee he would be worried about those last balls

I'd be up for a capped competition handicap with the new limits applicable for casual golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'd be up for a capped competition handicap with the new limits applicable for casual golf
    Thsts not fair on the genuine high handicappers that will only shoot 40pts once in 3-5 years.

It would be fairer if they had bracket prizes only and no overall.

Advertisement