Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Overall, 103km with 1,300m climbing at 29kph.

That's a decent spin, especially given your sore legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Jeez, much better numbers than I and I'm chuffed with mine.

Hooned (PB's all over the show), up to glendalough and the sally gap, then to roundwood to get more water before the 3rd weekend up Shay Elliot/sleeve maan (forgot which is which), and another pb.

Felt good and put the hammer down from glenmalure to half way up the new line (wooden bridge) where my legs stopped cashing the cheques my head was writing.

My Garmin says 5 days to recover 🤣. I'm goosed. 114km, 1500m climbing at 25.0 kmph.

Glorious day and loads of friendly people out, class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from Gorey to Arklow and on to woodenbridge, heading out the road to Avoca, took immediate right turn just past the hotel , a long draggy climb and we descended back on to Avoca Road, just short of Avoca . Turned into Avoca and turned immediately left and back on to a long draggy climb. Eventually came to a T junction and into Cullens old pub which is now The Latin Quarter coffee shop. From there a few more drags heading towards Jack whites. Back to Arklow and on to Gorey. 71 kms, 700 odd meters and avg 28.5kph.

The stats don't tell the full story unfortunately!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got a PR today on a segment i'd not noticed before, called 'The Klanmans Scarf'. a little bit cryptic and ill-judged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

Out with club today, initially 1 group headed to Arklow, halfway there split into 2 groups; in woodenbridge a further split, 2 faster guys decided they'd head for Ashford, the rest decided to wait for the group behind.. I formed an inbetweeney group and headed solo, no other takers... Rathdrum... Deputies Pass, out onto N11 at The Beehive, Jack Whites, Arklow and back to Gorey. 89 kms, 600 meters and an Avg of 29.8kph. Legs felt good today....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did my first 100k in a long time. Slow as **** but done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭JMcL

Short one yesterday, but for a good cause. The Rotary Club in Waterford organised a spin from Waterford to Tramore and back in aid of the Ronald McDonald House in Crumlin. I did it with my wife and our 8 year old lad who absolutely flew it - in all 21km with about 100m up adding to and from with the scenic route for myself added about a further 28km and 200m roughly @ 23km/h

With hindsight, I'd have been happier throwing €100 toward RMH for their Cycle The Lakes on the 10th rather than the WW200 the following day. Similar amount of suffering involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭JMcL

And contrary to the previous post, long one yesterday. 178km around Wexford, starting and finishing in Kilmuckridge, following in large part the route of the Yola 200 audax. I shortened it a bit as the lads I was with wanted to go at a higher pace so we decided they'd plough on after Hook Head and I'd chop out some of the route so we'd get back to the cars about the same time. It was probably a good choice as my right leg started to cramp badly about 20km from the end - typically along an interminable stretch of busy R road in the middle of nowhere with no place to pull in. I made up a concentrated dose of High5 hydration mix which helped a bit and made it to the end.

177.6km, 20.4km/h average, 1540m, 8:43 moving time

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭DrumcDub1

Sally Gap via Tallaght and Brittas, came down by the Hellfire club. All in about 1,000m climbing and 80km. First time doing it, mostly okay but found 2/3km from the top of Sally Gap very tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Dublin to Galway, finally off my bucket list. 12 hours, 250k, a mere 750m up, tail winds and lots of sun (Friday last).

Grand Canal to Lucan, Royal past Mullingar, old train line to Athlone, then Ballinasloe, Athenry and Salthill. No time to dally, train back to Dublin.

The obligatory photo of a gate should have been at Woodlawn, but my buddy was putting me under pressure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

woodlawn house? big palladian place?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Had a leisurely cycle around Winnipeg yesterday. Went a bit deeper in to the dodgy North End then I usually would but it was a nice day out. No hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

20k around Caleta de Fusta in Fuerteventura, the head winds around here would put manners on you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up past the Sally gap yesterday evening via Craugh and Featherbeds. Caught the fire services in action deploying two helicopters on the Laragh road. Chatting to one of lads he mentioned they're hoping for a lot of rain soon as it is very dry up there. Lovely evening out with 52k and 830m of up. Pace seems to be getting even slower than usual, no doubt down to too much fine living and not enough time on the bike :)

have had a fairly poor year so far; only was getting out once or twice a week, and then got some weird bug that kept me off the bike for 5 weeks. but my fitness has been returning after a few weeks where i've been getting out several times a week - got out for 65km this evening, 800m of climbing and happy with an average speed of 26.5km/h. cooler than expected, but no harm there.

Very glad to be in the habit of carrying two spare tubes today. Hit a rock coming down from the Hellfire club at lunch and blew the front tyre. Went to change the tube only to realise I'd packed a shrader rather than presta tube as one of my spares. Major 'doh!' moment. On the plus side, I find I'm getting pretty handy at changing tubes without lever and my somewhat oversized Topeak Morph mini-pump is well worth the extra bulk.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did my first 200Km spin today on an alternative Wicklow 200 with a few club mates. Although we took in most of the W200 course, we started in Lucan and didn't make use of the W200 rest stops, etc.

Heading through Ballinabarney Gap, there were at least three cuckoos cuckooing (if that's what you call it). I don't think I've ever hear more than one at a time and at that, haven't heard one in a few decades.

Heading up Slieve Mann, my thighs started cramping up (despite plenty of fluids, etc.). Also around the base of SM, I could hear another cuckoo.

To be fair to Elite, the signage and marshalling was great. Can't comment on the rest stops obviously.

I think the only criticism I might have from the day is that some of the riders seemed to behave as if the roads were closed.

With a stop off for a pint at Hazelhatch, I made it back home in Leixlip with just over 200km (with 2600m @ 25.1km/h) and two cramped thighs. Knackered now but had a great day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Not half as interesting as Seth's. The only thing of note was a heron that I startled, who in turn startled me.

He flew out of the reeds right in front of me, so close that I had to brake. I nearly shït myself. He did shït himself, literally, as he took flight.

Lovely evening for a spin after work, up Cruagh and past the viewing point, on up to the mast at Kippure and then on to the Sally gap and back home for 47k with 1k of up at a very pedestrian 17.6kph. I'd forgotten how tough the last 100m or so of Kippure is, great reminder to drop a few kgs! Almost perfect weather for it, fewer bikes out than I'd expect though more than enough flies! Amazing to get back in at 9:30pm and it still bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭vintcerf

Did the Ash Burners Cycle Club - Solstice Cycle, 5am start. Not much climbing but thoroughly enjoyed it.

First longish one for me in a few weeks as I was managing a hamstring and lower back issue.

Got out at 6.30am and had a four-hour pass for Father's Day. Headed for the mountains and managed to stay dry in the main until the very end when I got caught in a torrential downpour.

Did a total of 122km with 1400m climbing at 29.7kph. Enjoyable spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

First proper cycle this year. Gorgeous day in Dublin mountains. 80km, 22km average, 1k climbing. Shattered now, but last night was late with lots of booze so hoping that's why I'm so bushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

I did 200k solo today, only my second ever.

legs are tired now!

needs more detail!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

a non exciting spin from outside Carlow to Rosslare and back.

1300m and averaged 28.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Not long back from a trip to the Pyrenees, managed to tick off my first ever few Cols, jaysus lads them mountains hit different 😅

Got up Col d'Aubisque, Soulor, Spandelles, Tourmalet, Hautacam and Maire Blanque

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

good stuff ....where were you based ? or did you move each day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

did Kippure today..its never easy but the breeze out was not in my favour!, full on headwind on the barrier section ...then the usual bumpy decent with a full on cross wind R to L and the non enjoyable part of my spin was the L to R cross wind coming from the SG toward the Kippure center I got blown across the road centre left to centre right on my 35mm rims ( cant imagine what it would be like with anything 40+) ..got a right fright

115 Km with 1750m of Up ..great sunshine after a gloomy start..decent numbers out and about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

104km with 930m climbing, 29km/h. Took a hopper off an invisible kerb mid way 🫠 I’m fine but more importantly the bike is too!

Took up cycling in May and feeling more and more comfortable with the distances. Felt fresh at the end of this mornings ride, really happy with progress.

Ring of Kerry next weekend - 170km but reasonably flat at 1500m. Should be an enjoyable day in the saddle 🙂

Advertisement