Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

I read somewhere else that 1903 was the first time England had entered. The other colours were taken the previous years

Edit

Here we go...

Britain had to choose a different color to its usual national colors of red, white and blue, as these had already been taken by the US, Germany and France respectively.

Anyway , apologies to everyone else, this has feck all to do with cycling 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday feeling that I cheated on Friday only doing 66 km, I made amends and did a tad over 66 miles. Headed to Ballycanew to meet a club mate, down to Smyths cross and left for Camolin, turned right in Camolin and headed for Cranford and on to Carnew, had a mechanical issue with front derailleur and had to stay on big ring. Turned right in Carnew and on to Aughrim, Woodenbridge, Arklow and back to Gorey, Courtown , Ballygarrett , Killenagh and home. 108 kms, 730 meters and avg 29. 3 kph . Stayed dry for entire spin 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Traders cup, first open Road Race. Loved it. One lap done before i git well dropped. Might upgrade from club competition to A4 next year

I broke 70kph on the bike for the first time ever.

That is all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where? your usual surroundings are quite flat, IIRC?

• Advertisement

People only think Kildare is flat 😄

Coming back home from this morning's spin, descended a hill known by the local cycling club as The Wall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hold on, was it a club race? How did you do it otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

Last minute decision to go for it but I booked a couple of AirBnBs and put a route together for my initial try at bike touring. Day 1 was from home in Kildare across country to pick up the royal canal greenway at Mary Lynch's pub and on up to Cloondara and out to Termonbarry on the Shannon, 125km

Day 2 was across country through Roscommon town and Ballinasloe to Portumna, I missed a turn coming out of Ballinasloe and the garmin had a bit of a meltdown trying to get me back on track so I got a bonus loop of a bog to bring up the total to 125km again.

Day 3, today was home from Portumna through Birr, Kilcormac, Lough Boora to pick up the grand canal greenway at Pollagh and on via Tullamore and Daingean then road home from there.

Routing was done by cycle.travel which gave me some lovely quiet roads, especially on Saturday (day 2) before the garmin lost its mind

My bike was my Cannondale topstone alu ravel bike with rack and panniers and 40mm Conti Terra Speeds, so definitely more for comfort than speed. I definitely was a bit overloaded but I wanted to see how things would go if I were to consider something longer in the future. I weighed the bike + all the trappings when I got home and it was roughly 24kg.

All in all a good weekend out

Bike in the car doesn't count 🙈 it can be a hairy experience, just can't afford to think of consequences when doing it.

😁😁🖕🖕

I've been down it a number of times, and figured today was the day to get a good start, then get tucked in, and down on the drops. It's nervy, all right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Yeah ran by cuchulainn cc. Ive a limited comp licence so qas able to race. Got droped just before the climb on first lap. Happy with my effort on the day. I knew i was gonna get droped on that climb. Mission loose 20 kg before march commences today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭JMcL

Mission loose 20 kg before march commences today

I highly recommend MyFitnessPal - I shifted around 6kg using it between the end of April when I had to bail on the way up to the Sally Gap on the Orwell Randonnee (weight was only part of it on the day), and the WW100 in June when the missing 6kg made a big difference. I've still another 8kg I want to shift over the next 6 months or so, but the good thing about it is that it ties in to Garmin Connect, so will adjust daily calorie allowances to compensate. I believe with a power meter and HRM the calorie burn figure is ballpark accurate - it's certainly ok for guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Wouldn't really recommend "eating back" much of the calories burnt doing exercise. Unless you've set your daily baseline requirements as your BMR (the calories you expend per day if you only rested). Most people calculate their calories based on BMR x an activity factor so it's already factoring in energy expenditure through exercise.

MFP does use BMR adjusted for activity level, but their definition of "activity level" is based on your normal day-to-day activity levels excluding taking exercise into account which they explain clearly. e.g. are you normally sitting at a desk most of the day, or are you doing a lot of manual work so on your feet most of the time. If you're aiming to lose weight, you set it up with a calorie deficit in the first place. That said, in practice, depending on what I'd been doing, I may or may not come close to the adjusted target. An hour of sweet spot on the turbo, I'd eat more, but I probably wouldn't top up all they suggest for a 4 hour spin. At the extreme end Garmin estimated I burned about 4500 calories on an 8+ hour day in the saddle back in June which I didn't come close to replenishing! You should however make sure you're getting enough of the right kind of nutrition in after an effort (and during to fuel), but that's another question entirely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've sometimes wondered - let's say an unfit person and a fit person, same weight, go out and cycle the same course in the same time. a 25km circuit each in one hour, say. will there be much difference in calorie burn? i.e. does being fit mean you'd burn fewer calories than an unfit person, or does it mean you burn the same but it's just easier for you to produce them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Physics dictate it must be identical as the work done was identical. And within the same time which is a crucial factor when it comes to living organisms.

Yes, the energy expended actually overcoming air resistance, rolling resistance etc. would be the same. But that doesn't mean that both people are equally efficient at 'generating' that energy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Heart rate of the unfit person will be higher

Hence they'll burn more

All the physical things being equal (weight/speed/distance) the calorie burn will be the same. The main difference is probably you might be wanting an ambulance at the end for the unfit person in this case 🙂

[Edit] On foot of @Wildly Boaring s post above, heart rate will in fact affect the calorie burn. However this is mostly offset by the fact that the fit person would almost certainly have a higher VO2 max - see https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/calories-burned-by-heart-rate (the values calculated by that calculator look well out of line - I'd expect figures around half of that in reality, but I'll leave it and assume the principle is sound)

• Advertisement

i just did a bit of quick googling and the responses seem to suggest that fit people burn fewer calories for the same activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

You don't need the Daily Mail!

That's the researcher who coined the phrase NEAT.

Now it's 8 years since I listened to that but I'm pretty sure they were able to identify lean/obese people just from the data they obtained from the study groups "sitting time". While people were at work they wore special underwear which recorded whether they were sitting/standing/walking.

The takeaway is that lean people fidget and walk around more and do so subconsciously.

When an obese person starts to exercise and starts to lose weight, there body notices the missing fat (look up hypothalamus/leptin/ghrelin/body fat regulation if you want to deep dive) and will eventually drive subconscious response to conserve energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Well done. A good weekend for it. Think we might have met you in Birr when we pulled in for coffee on the Cloghan side of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭fiacha

First rule of cycling in the Phoenix Park is to avoid it on the weekends. Too many zombies on the roads and cycle lanes.

So, I went for a cycle in the Phoenix Park this morning. First 10k was spent avoiding packs of runners on the cycle lane or jumping off the path into the road to overtake eachother. Annoying, but traffic was very light so handy enough to stay out in middle of road.

Just passing through a roundabout when a car from my left decided to come straight through without stopping. I was signalling right and staying over on the right hand side. I managed to stop but he kept coming and hit me. I ended up stuck between the car and the bike and sort of slow motion fell to the ground, all very dramatic !. Thankfully it all happened at slow speed and I was able to break and turn so it was more of a side swipe. To add insult to injury, I was still tangled up in the bike when he opened his car door which smacked me in the helmet LOL. Driver claimed he never saw me, which is scary to think about.

Plenty of nice people stopped to make sure I was alright. Just a little bit of road rash on knee. Bike is fine.

Big wake up call for me and I will be even more vigilant from now on. Not sure what I could have done to avoid the collision. I always go slow on roundabouts so I can react to people not giving way, but going too slow just seems to encourage them to nip out ahead of you. I was sure that the car had come to a stop, but I was already focused on the next exit to make sure nobody was there. It's amazing how quickly you start to lose track of the details. A helmet camera might be a good addition.

Lesson learned about weekends in the Park.

Glad you're okay Fiacha, headed into Gorey for meet up, out to Cranford, left turn heading to Camolin, right turn in Camolin and scenic route to Ferns, on towards Scarawalsh roundabout but took left turn before it which eventually gets you to The Harrow, on to Boolavogue, Ballyedmund, back main road to Ballycanew and back to Gorey, peeled off before Gorey.

71 kms , 640 odd meters and avg 29.20 kph. Glorious weather, bit too hot and extremely humid towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

First time doing the Tour de Beara event yesterday, planned on doing the 120k but did the 90k due to having absolutely no sleep night before, an airbnb I won't be staying in again ! (long story). 4 hours exactly moving time, 22.5kph avg on a cx bike.

Was dreading the Healy Pass but I found it ok tbh, took it easy and kept a bit in reserve for the ramp at the top. Looked to be a nasty accident just over the summit, hope the guy is ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lovely day for a spin. Haven’t been out on the bike in a while.

63km around random county roads finished off with a donut and coffee at the Wandering Elk / Stodge Face

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭fiacha

High winds + Hippo physique = getting blown around the road by gusts. Didn't feel safe, so turned around and went home. Sitting here with a coffee trying to convince myself that I'm not turning into a wimp. :)

EDIT - Went out for a handy 25k in the Phoenix Park this evening. Beautiful autumn evening. Feel much better for it.

Two of the new bus stop / cycle ramps are open on the main road. The ramp is quite high, so I imagine you'd get a decent bit of air if you hit it at speed :). The metal plate has plenty of grip and felt fine to cross. Will be interesting to see how these work when there are groups of tourists waiting for the bus.

Post edited by fiacha on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out for 50km around Kilteel this evening. Had a jacket on over a jersey and it still felt cool but it did stay dry throughout so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Went over and back Windmill Hill near Rathcoole and as I was heading downhill, a van coming towards me was overtaking a commuting cyclist who had pulled over and was dealing with some kind of mechanical issue. I was more conscious of the van coming towards me (and I was doing over 55km/h) and so quickly figured that I'd probably see him in a few minutes on the return ascent. Anyhow, by the time I caught up with him, he was at the top of the hill moving quite gingerly. Asked him if he was ok and it turned out that he had a tubeless puncture and no pump or anything. As I had a pump with me (and tubes, levers, CO2, etc), I helped pump up the tyre to get him home. Hopefully he made it home anyhow. I am surprised though that some people who ride tubeless don't know that you still really should carry tools & a spare tube or two. I had a clubmate recently appear surprised that tubeless doesn't always seal!

Anyhow, it was an evening of close passes for whatever reason - I think there were three of four really uncomfortable ones and all were into oncoming traffic. The last one flashed their hazards 100m up the road so I wasn't sure were they trying to apologise or what (I know for a fact that they knew I was there).

https://www.strava.com/activities/9894347908

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

Sat spin y'day over to Lacken via Sorrel hill, on my way out a Toyota Corolla overtook me near Oughterard (Arthurs resting place) and then slowed in front of me, with the passenger holding something out the window...it was my Vent Ultra gilet which had dislodged from my jersey pocket prob on Boston hill, cheers to him. Anyway it was cool enough on the remaining descents so I ended up wearing it from Ballinascorney til home

Advertisement