Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Another Leinster vs Munster build-up/match thread Sat 24th April 7:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Few of the more experienced Leinster players didn’t cover themselves in glory there, particularity O’Laughlin, I thought he had an awful game .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Horrible pointless game.

Ah no it was very good for Ryan and Ringrose to get a run out before La Rochelle. Much better for them than going in cold. Thought Ryan performed very well at pilfering the lineout especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Busby saving Leinster's blushes stopping Munster getting a BP, not just once but twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭A-Train

Munster got their win the better team but this was expected with the teams named.

Leinster got what they wanted with mins for Ryan and Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well done Munster. Richly deserved. They bullied Leinster throughout. I think the result was a foregone conclusion from very early as I posted.

What was the referee saying at the end? You can't challenge unless there is a decision? Is that correct? My understanding is that foul play can be challenged so surely that could be bringing the referee's attention to something missed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Clegg wrote: »
    Ah no it was very good for Ryan and Ringrose to get a run out before La Rochelle. Much better for them than going in cold. Thought Ryan performed very well at pilfering the lineout especially.

Ryan needs to watch his bad language.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

we've dominated munster all season, semi final next week, you can't expect players to keep getting up for playing munster 5 times a year.

Good win for munster and hopefully they'll kick on but I've no worries about leinster.

Ryan needs to watch his bad language.

Yeah.

Archer is more stout than fat.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Few of the more experienced Leinster players didn’t cover themselves in glory there, particularity O’Laughlin, I thought he had an awful game .

Ah he was on a hiding to nothing. Got an absolutely bag of sh*te to work with. Pack beaten up and half backs who aren't up to pro standard. He got a poor pass repeatedly as a defender smashed him. He was asked to crash a lot of ball up into DDA and Farrell which is an impossible task. I'm genuinely happy he won't be playing next week as he's absolutely battered after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buer wrote: »
    Well done Munster. Richly deserved. They bullied Leinster throughout. I think the result was a foregone conclusion from very early as I posted.

What was the referee saying at the end? You can't challenge unless there is a decision? Is that correct? My understanding is that foul play can be challenged so surely that could be bringing the referee's attention to something missed?

"will be applied more broadly in the last five minutes plus injury time at which stage the captain can seek a review of any whistled decision — regardless of whether nor not a try has been scored."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Jaysus Toland is some dose.

He's 48 and yet talks like a septugenarian. Embarrassing to listen to.

Feels a bit wrong to be blowing smoke up De Allende's hoop when every other game against Leinster he was anonymous against a full strength side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Kind of annoyed that this is even on the long term stats for this fixture.

Feels a bit wrong to be blowing smoke up De Allende's hoop when every other game against Leinster he was anonymous against a full strength side.

He was good in the game at the very end of last season too in fairness, the first game back post-pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Ryan is a shadow of his former self.

MurDawg wrote: »

His standout mark on the game was being raked by Archer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

My take is we held Leinster to no tries. Yes it's a 3rd strength Leinster team but still.

DDA has been amazing all season and puts in the hard donkey work at the breakdown as well.

MurDawg wrote: »

James Ryan?

Was his first game back after a few bad head knocks and he still pilfered two or three Munster lineouts. Not back to his very best, but he was playing well in the Six Nations before injury.

He was good in the game at the very end of last season too in fairness, the first game back post-pandemic

I vaguely recall he got significant flak on here for his performance on that. General take was that his biggest contribution was a late hit.

He was great tonight though. One of the few times he has looked like the guy Munster signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That was a pretty piss poor game overall. It was only ever going one way but it took until the last quarter for that to come through. Conditions were good so no idea why the handling was so bad.

Leinster just looked to be going through the motions in the main. Some of the ruck protection was shocking. Our forwards just didn't seem that bothered. HOS and Hawkshaw were both very poor too.

It was a nothing game and I couldn't give a toss about the loss at all. The big thing was no injuries. Shame to see Harry Byrne going off and with Frawley injured again too that leaves us with no replacement 10 next week if Sexton isn't fit. We sure as hell are not bringing Hawkshaw, that's for sure. Luke will also need to play the full 80 if JGP isn't fit as HOS is nowhere close to good enough. And at this stage, next week is really all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

That and trying to land a punch in the first half melée and ending up on his arse

I would have said the line out steals would have stood out slightly more to anyone watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That and trying to land a punch in the first half melée and ending up on his arse

And dragged out of harms way by a scrum half.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I thought all the first game back in a while lads were all quiet or poor for Leinster. If you told me 4 years ago the main attribute Ringrose would be getting lauded for would be his “defensive reads” I’d say that’s been a disappointing progression. I can’t remember the last time he’s made a clean break or distributed well. The missed sitter overlap V Saracens a year back and this year he’s been trying to grubbed drop the ball repeatedly to disastrous effect. If you are going to kick possession away and your are not gaining field position it better have a significant upside. But he’s doing these grubber drops on the short side in midfield and I’m going “what is the maximum possible benefit from that choice of play”?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MurDawg

James Ryan?

Was his first game back after a few bad head knocks and he still pilfered two or three Munster lineouts. Not back to his very best, but he was playing well in the Six Nations before injury.

He is a long way off his very best.

We all hope he gets there, his first 18 months were probably the best a second row has ever come onto the scene.

But since leinster lost that game to sarries I think he has been average

I thought all the first game back in a while lads were all quiet or poor for Leinster. If you told me 4 years ago the main attribute Ringrose would be getting lauded for would be his “defensive reads” I’d say that’s been a disappointing progression. I can’t remember the last time he’s made a clean break or distributed well. The missed sitter overlap V Saracens a year back and this year he’s been trying to grubbed drop the ball repeatedly to disastrous effect. If you are going to kick possession away and your are not gaining field position it better have a significant upside. But he’s doing these grubber drops on the shirt side in midfield and I’m going “what is the maximum possible benefit from that choice of play”?

Ringrose was voted Ireland's player of the year for 2020. He's progressed as a player superbly. He was a victim of Ireland's muddled backline set up for most of the Six Nations, just like every other back bar Henshaw. Then he got injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Regardless of who was on the pitch you get the feeling that Leo will be furious with a solitary penalty over eighty minutes at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Jaysus Toland is some dose.

That’s only on TV. In real life he’s worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Ringrose was voted Ireland's player of the year for 2020. He's progressed as a player superbly. He was a victim of Ireland's muddled backline set up for most of the Six Nations, just like every other back bar Henshaw. Then he got injured.

He defensively read his way to that in what was a pretty **** year for Leinster and Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

molloyjh wrote: »
    That was a pretty piss poor game overall. It was only ever going one way but it took until the last quarter for that to come through. Conditions were good so no idea why the handling was so bad.

Leinster just looked to be going through the motions in the main. Some of the ruck protection was shocking. Our forwards just didn't seem that bothered. HOS and Hawkshaw were both very poor too.

It was a nothing game and I couldn't give a toss about the loss at all. The big thing was no injuries. Shame to see Harry Byrne going off and with Frawley injured again too that leaves us with no replacement 10 next week if Sexton isn't fit. We sure as hell are not bringing Hawkshaw, that's for sure. Luke will also need to play the full 80 if JGP isn't fit as HOS is nowhere close to good enough. And at this stage, next week is really all that matters.

How can you expect our half backs to play well when the forwards couldn’t provide any ruck protection. I think you’re being a bit harsh on Hawkshaw. He only came into the 23 shortly before kick off and came on 5 minutes into the game. I thought he was fine. He’s just got a 2 year Senior contract so the coaches clearly see something in him.

Advertisement