Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browning A5

• 18-04-2021 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Are Browning A5s legal in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kranob

Are Browning A5s legal in Ireland?

I hope so as I own one. Why wouldn’t they be? They are just a standard semi auto shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Paddy Mc Ginn

Kranob wrote: »
    I hope so as I own one. Why wouldn’t they be? They are just a standard semi auto shotgun.
    Was Just wondering because I was left one by my father. Do you need a restricted licence or Unrestricted?

Was Just wondering because I was left one by my father. Do you need a restricted licence or Unrestricted?

Mines a standard unrestricted as it has a has the plastic piece installed to make it only able to hold 3 cartridges. How was it licensed previously by your father?

Mines a standard unrestricted as it has a has plastic piece installed to make it only able to hold 3 cartridges. How was it licensed previously by your father?
    I think it was unrestricted.

I think it was unrestricted.

Should be no problem so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Never seen many A5's around, pity as i do fancy one. But they licenced here. Any pictures of it ?

tudderone wrote: »
    Never seen many A5's around, pity as i do fancy one. But they licenced here. Any pictures of it ?
    Here’s my one anyway, ultimate partridges model.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Do you need a restricted licence or Unrestricted?
    Three rounds or fewer = Unrestricted
    More than three = Restricted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Asus1

God that's a great looking gun.

Nice gun, but thats not a proper A5. The original A5 was long recoil, the barrel and bolt slid back into the action body, then the barrel was pushed forward by the spring and then bolt picked up a new shell.

• Advertisement

Asus1 wrote: »
    God that's a great looking gun.

Kind of a love it or hate it design with the humpback as they call it, but it really makes it easy to line up for a shot in my opinion.

tudderone wrote: »

I don’t currently have it. It’s being restored at the moment by a gunsmith to make it like it’s brand new. It’s the Browning A5 Belgium 1960s (I think it’s 1964).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I don’t currently have it. It’s being restored at the moment by a gunsmith to make it like it’s brand new. It’s the Browning A5 Belgium 1960s (I think it’s 1964).

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!:eek::eek:
    Don't do that!!! The 60s Belgian A5s are sleeper collectors.IOW they are slowly gaining value over the years and trying to make an old gun look "brand new" will destroy its value if you ever want to sell it .

Now unless this gun looks like it was used as a fence post pile driver, and the wood is totally wrecked,it is best to leave them well alone, and hunt up some good second-hand wood stocks to replace the damaged ones
    The main thing is that it works 100%, with any kind of ammo you stuff in it. Which they should as they are utter dirt eaters, and they just really need a good strip down,clean and lube and the recoil spring set up properly with the recoil ring set for heavy or light loads. And checking that the mag cutoff lever isnt too flappy and blocking your feed at an inopportune moment.

The bluing jobs on these guns was pure craftsmanship, and weather time extremely well over the decades, so it has character and honourable scars and usage. which is fine on such a classic.
    Your gun, and do what you want with it,but overdoing a restoration job to brand new has destroyed the value of many a collector's piece.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!:eek::eek:
    Don't do that!!! The 60s Belgian A5s are sleeper collectors.IOW they are slowly gaining value over the years and trying to make an old gun look "brand new" will destroy its value if you ever want to sell it .

Now unless this gun looks like it was used as a fence post pile driver, and the wood is totally wrecked,it is best to leave them well alone, and hunt up some good second-hand wood stocks to replace the damaged ones
    The main thing is that it works 100%, with any kind of ammo you stuff in it. Which they should as they are utter dirt eaters, and they just really need a good strip down,clean and lube and the recoil spring set up properly with the recoil ring set for heavy or light loads. And checking that the mag cutoff lever isnt too flappy and blocking your feed at an inopportune moment.

The bluing jobs on these guns was pure craftsmanship, and weather time extremely well over the decades, so it has character and honourable scars and usage. which is fine on such a classic.
    Your gun, and do what you want with it,but overdoing a restoration job to brand new has destroyed the value of many a collector's piece.

100%. A new set of springs, a firing pin, taken apart and cleaned until its spotless and lubed correctly, a sympathetic cleaning of the wood and a coat of linseed oil rubbed in, and the metalwork given a gentle rub with some oiled 0000 steel wool, and thats it, tip on for another 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭Mech1

[IMG][/img]51125119057_b5929f2672_b.jpg20210419_162515 by pat, on Flickr
    [IMG][/img]51126492425_068ac0bd69_b.jpg20210419_162624 by pat, on Flickr
    [IMG][/img]51126492680_0e8ca31e3f_b.jpg20210419_162522 by pat, on Flickr
    [IMG][/img]51126492605_6526c5951c_b.jpg20210419_162533 by pat, on Flickr

Thats my A5 its a Japanese made 1979 one. click on the photos to zoom in and see it stripped down.

Its original condition, no more than a strip down wash out and a oily rag.
    [IMG][/img]50999337913_0974a2925d_b.jpgStripped and cleaned by pat, on Flickr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Absolute beauty Mech1!

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rossline123

If you don't mind me asking who is the gunsmith you used looking to get gun restored

Anyone else got pictures of their own A5?

Mine is a Light 12 model, full choke. I might look into buying a second more open choke barrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

She's is an absolute beauty Mech1, I love those old Browning A5s.

Advertisement