Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC exiting Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0416/1210322-banks-ireland-analysis/
    nothing about the high interest rates and the billions of tax losses forward which BOI will buy

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Rewired wrote: »
    May not have to. The link posted a few pages back says BOI's new platform will be based on T24, which is what KBC uses.

Interesting and good point that both banks are using Temenos and this would help ... but banks are a matrix of systems these days and it seems that Temenos just supply the certain systems (like the KBC app) but there would be many more to convert and huge IT costs in tandem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 1st On

Overall, this is not surprise. As a few posters have said KBC is a commercial entity and their only goal is to make profits. We are in a period of low interest rates on all products, so there is a worldwide squeeze on profitability so they are making less (and will continue to do so in the foreseeable), so they will focus on the most profitable markets they can. Realistically Ireland dysfunctional market just isn’t one of these for numerous reasons.
    Profits are massively squeezed, the lethargy of the Irish public in moving away from the big two banks is stark, they are offering higher rates yet still dominate new lending, so KBC will continue to struggle to develop sufficient market concentration to change their current position.
    The historical business is still such a big element of their book. (pre 2015 say) still accounts for probably 70-80% of KBC’s book, and this is a massive drag on their profits. The 13-14% NPL rate they have 10-15 years after the crash is astounding. The tracker book was 40% of their book from a report from a few yrs ago (can’t open link here so open to correction on that figure) so that earning only 1% is a huge drag also. Irish customers are paying a hefty cost for the banks chronically mispricing their lending for years and given the length a mortgage this is still in effect today and will be for the next 10 yrs probably.
    Capital levels are high, and justifiably so. Capital is set against risk, and we have a proven track record of being risky. We have a volatile economy, now massively dependent on Foreign direct investment, and there is a large risk there in terms of economic outlook with the pressure on the corporate tax regime. The for unsecured nature of the mortgage market has been well commented on. And is another key driver.
    We are a tiny market, so there just is. It the diversification in lending needed. Some EU countries use mortgage lending to develop customer business and then generate large fee income from other products (insurance, current accounts, set up fees etc.) this just isn’t part of the Irish business model so other growth sources are scarce.

Overall, I I was over KBC I’d be taking the same actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0416/1210322-banks-ireland-analysis/
    nothing about the high interest rates and the billions of tax losses forward which BOI will buy

How do you work that out when KBC are seen as possibly the most competitive bank on interest rates with the exception of Avant who are only interested in a select group.

And KBC certain don't have billions of tax credits. In the 2018 financial year their tax credits were circa 25m and they still had a hefty corporation tax bill.

EVERY company (including your local corner shop) can claim tax credits for years they lost money. Its how standard corporate accounting works

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

lawred2 wrote: »
    Opened up an N26 business account yesterday in about 10 minutes.

Transferred what was in my revolut business account over. SEPA transfer arrived instantly.

Given that experience, I'll probably look to open up a personal current account with N26. Sod the "traditional" banks.

Don't think you can have both a personal and a business account in parallel, unless they changed their rules recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

TheDriver wrote: »
    Thought their fee is 4 a month which isn't bad as they have long opening hours and can still handle cash and cheques.

It's still €48 per year and there is the risk of negative interest not being declared until it has already been charged.

I think mine also has a 1c per contactless charge, minor, probably only 10c a month for me but annoying.

I'd go with N26 or EBS over a credit union. Or stick.with KBC for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

1st On wrote: »
    Overall, this is not surprise. As a few posters have said KBC is a commercial entity and their only goal is to make profits. We are in a period of low interest rates on all products, so there is a worldwide squeeze on profitability so they are making less (and will continue to do so in the foreseeable), so they will focus on the most profitable markets they can. Realistically Ireland dysfunctional market just isn’t one of these for numerous reasons.
    Profits are massively squeezed, the lethargy of the Irish public in moving away from the big two banks is stark, they are offering higher rates yet still dominate new lending, so KBC will continue to struggle to develop sufficient market concentration to change their current position.
    The historical business is still such a big element of their book. (pre 2015 say) still accounts for probably 70-80% of KBC’s book, and this is a massive drag on their profits. The 13-14% NPL rate they have 10-15 years after the crash is astounding. The tracker book was 40% of their book from a report from a few yrs ago (can’t open link here so open to correction on that figure) so that earning only 1% is a huge drag also. Irish customers are paying a hefty cost for the banks chronically mispricing their lending for years and given the length a mortgage this is still in effect today and will be for the next 10 yrs probably.
    Capital levels are high, and justifiably so. Capital is set against risk, and we have a proven track record of being risky. We have a volatile economy, now massively dependent on Foreign direct investment, and there is a large risk there in terms of economic outlook with the pressure on the corporate tax regime. The for unsecured nature of the mortgage market has been well commented on. And is another key driver.
    We are a tiny market, so there just is. It the diversification in lending needed. Some EU countries use mortgage lending to develop customer business and then generate large fee income from other products (insurance, current accounts, set up fees etc.) this just isn’t part of the Irish business model so other growth sources are scarce.

DO you realise how big KBC bank are in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jester77 wrote: »
    Don't think you can have both a personal and a business account in parallel, unless they changed their rules recently.

Hmmm maybe... I'll check. Was able to with Revolut. But you could be right.

sebdavis wrote: »
    DO you realise how big KBC bank are in Europe?

I think the poster does know that.

He (or she :) ) summed it up perfectly.

Ireland is a small market, even with Ulster gone, KBC will not get past being #4.

The REAL money is in the secondary products - insurance, pensions, business banking etc

Media love headlines such as Denmark have 0% mortgages. But they don't tell you that there are 3 parts to a Danish mortgage. The admin fee is usually 1% - 1.25% and then you also have to have insurance. Still cheaper than rates here, but about the same as the trackers many have.

KBC similar to Ulster saw that they were always going to be in the also rans here and with Bank of Ireland making them an offer, they made the correct business decision to get to a stage where a deal is in the offing.

If I were head of KBC like the poster, I'd make the same decision too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Rewired wrote: »
    May not have to. The link posted a few pages back says BOI's new platform will be based on T24, which is what KBC uses.

As anyone with experience of BOI will tell you, if there's a way of ****ing that up, BOI will manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Looks like my best option for current account is N26. I do all transactions on a credit card, so will probably go with Avant for that.

Alternatively, the least hassle option by the sounds of it regarding transfers/payments is probably EBS for current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,708 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

GarIT wrote: »
    It's still €48 per year and there is the risk of negative interest not being declared until it has already been charged.
    No financial institution can introduce charges such as negative interest without advising customers up front.
    JTMan wrote: »
    I would doubt that BoI will operate under the KBC brand when KBC continues to operate as a bank elsewhere. Also keeping 2 sets of systems would be a total expensive mess.

Separately, anyone else think EBS might be next? It might make a lot of sense for AIB to merge the EBS and AIB brands and shut the EBS legacy branch network. Difficult to see how the legacy EBS branches that seem to mainly deal with cash transactions can be profitable.

I'm by no means sure that BoI could continue to operate the KBC brand here, but stranger things have happened. Virgin Media here is not part of the Virgin group owned by Branson, they just use his branding here.

BoI also continue to operate the ICS brand for mortgages, with lots of poster advertising at present for their public sector mortgages.

So anything could happen, and the decisions about how to brand for customers are largely independent of the decisions on how to run the back end technology.

As anyone with experience of BOI will tell you, if there's a way of ****ing that up, BOI will manage it.

BOI have already f**ked it up, they are 1 billion plus at the moment and heading towards 2 billio to implement

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Agree with your take here.

Especially about the low interest rate environment.

Maybe I can add a couple of points. Banks internationally seem to be consolidating and shrinking down in size. This could be due to the low interest rate environment and quantitive easing measures and money printing which has seen stock markets soaring.

Retail banking outside of mortgages is loss making. Ireland is still suffering the aftereffects from 2008. The Government here through shows of populism and from minor parties dictating policy because of our proportional representation system have interfered onerously in the construction sector and mortgage markets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

BOI have already f**ked it up, they are 1 billion plus at the moment and heading towards 2 billio to implement

That's assuming they will actually manage it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

No financial institution can introduce charges such as negative interest without advising customers up front.

I'm by no means sure that BoI could continue to operate the KBC brand here, but stranger things have happened. Virgin Media here is not part of the Virgin group owned by Branson, they just use his branding here.

BoI also continue to operate the ICS brand for mortgages, with lots of poster advertising at present for their public sector mortgages.

So anything could happen, and the decisions about how to brand for customers are largely independent of the decisions on how to run the back end technology.

I thought ICS is no longer part of BOI group.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,708 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I thought ICS is no longer part of BOI group.

Apologies, you're correct.

https://www.icsmortgages.ie/about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Sunday Times have said that KBC's exit will probably be complete much quicker than Ulster's exit. It will not be a case of "years" but rather "months" ...
    Unlike Ulster Bank’s protracted and complex departure, KBC’s planned exit could be substantially completed by the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The historical business is still such a big element of their book. (pre 2015 say) still accounts for probably 70-80% of KBC’s book, and this is a massive drag on their profits. The 13-14% NPL rate they have 10-15 years after the crash is astounding. The tracker book was 40% of their book from a report from a few yrs ago (can’t open link here so open to correction on that figure) so that earning only 1% is a huge drag also.

This. And the inability to resolve non performing loans.

Evictions for non-payment takes decades here. Courts are woefully slow. A customer can literally stop paying the mortgage (or rent) , and sit tight in the house for years without eviction.

Our mortgage rates are the highest in Europe, banks should be reeling in profits. Banks should be clamouring to get in and compete, not out. Problem is, those high interest rates hide a dirty secret. The high mortgage interest rates we pay are papering over those non performing loans. Basically, we are all subsiding those who are defaulting.

There is a real national historic hangover from the brits here about eviction, contributing to a completely dysfunctional courts system, banking sector and housing market.

pwurple wrote: »
    This. And the inability to resolve non performing loans.

Evictions for non-payment takes decades here. Courts are woefully slow. A customer can literally stop paying the mortgage (or rent) , and sit tight in the house for years without eviction.

Our mortgage rates are the highest in Europe, banks should be reeling in profits. Banks should be clamouring to get in and compete, not out. Problem is, those high interest rates hide a dirty secret. The high mortgage interest rates we pay are papering over those non performing loans. Basically, we are all subsiding those who are defaulting.

There is a real national historic hangover from the brits here about eviction, contributing to a completely dysfunctional courts system, banking sector and housing market.

At this stage we need to stop looking back and start looking forward. The rubbish about the Brits for one. Get over it and move on

The more you look into ireland it setup for people who don’t want to pay their way. Time to ask the government to shut this down and do not vote in a party which plans to double down on it.....give people more opportunity not to pay

I’m sick of paying throug the nose because of it

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »
    Sunday Times have said that KBC's exit will probably be complete much quicker than Ulster's exit. It will not be a case of "years" but rather "months" ...

Its smaller and leaner and a lot simpler in terms of transaction.

Just 2 parts - Bank of Ireland take over the performing business and the non performing loans are sold to an investment fund. Depositors are told to take their money away and find a new home for it.

They already have these two parts separated, so once due diligence is finished a deal agreed it's a matter of "flicking a switch"

Just 12 hubs - so easy enough to sell these leases on (at a negative key money probably) or to do a deal with the landlord.

I'd be surprised if it didn't mostly conclude by September.

I've 5 years left on a .95 KBC tracker and all it means is that the mortgage payment goes to a different account number and a different name on the headed paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭howiya

At this stage we need to stop looking back and start looking forward. The rubbish about the Brits for one. Get over it and move on

The more you look into ireland it setup for people who don’t want to pay their way. Time to ask the government to shut this down and do not vote in a party which plans to double down on it.....give people more opportunity not to pay

I’m sick of paying throug the nose because of it

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. In a PR system no party would get a sufficient bounce from what you're proposing to get a sufficient majority to enact the necessary changes. If politicians thought it was a vote winner they'd have done it already.

Politicians don't have control over the benefits such a policy would result in either. Its not as simple as evict non payers and the banks will reduce mortgage rates. Look at BOI. They don't even try and compete with the lower rates offered in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

When you have the Bríd Smyths and Paul Murphys of the world on the radio everyday pushing a narrative then this is the result.

Eoin O Broin and Richard Boyd Barrett.

This country really is weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭Hoboo

When you have the Bríd Smyths and Paul Murphys of the world on the radio everyday pushing a narrative then this is the result.

Eoin O Broin and Richard Boyd Barrett.

This country really is weak.

Why don't you step up then? This country is full of moaners.

Hoboo wrote: »

The country is also full of people who work, have paying jobs and have spent a huge amount of time to get into that position

Sorry but the “why don’t you do it” is silly, a politician is a career choice, I have mates who since 15 have been out in local community building relationships etc so when they decided to go into politics they had the back ground done

Having a discussion about the issue in ireland is not moaning. It’s a discussion, and how to potentially get it resolved

Politicians get paid to be politicians, we should expect them to help the people, and if people raise an issue not get told to shut up like you are trying to

howiya wrote: »
    Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. In a PR system no party would get a sufficient bounce from what you're proposing to get a sufficient majority to enact the necessary changes. If politicians thought it was a vote winner they'd have done it already.

Politicians don't have control over the benefits such a policy would result in either. Its not as simple as evict non payers and the banks will reduce mortgage rates. Look at BOI. They don't even try and compete with the lower rates offered in the market.

None of the parties have tried, it seems every election the plan is to run on a campaign of “more freebies”

Personally I would prefer a better plan not based on taking every penny from people working. Proper financial planning for the country

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Darc19 wrote: »
    You do know that bank of Ireland have paid back all of what they got in the banking bailout.

There were 4 main culprits in the crisis - Bank of Scotland, Ulster bank, irish nationwide & Anglo Irish bank.

Bank of Scotland introduced uneconomic tracker margins (I'm not complaining, i have one)
    Ulster Bank introduced to 100% and 110% mortgage

and Anglo and Irish Nationwide lent to any property investor and developer who asked for money thinking the money tree would never stop.

AIB, BOI, EBS, First active, PTSB had no choice but to follow as otherwise customers would walk. Hence when the bubble burst everyone got caught.

Bank of Ireland took the least risks and have recovered and repaid better that everyone else followed by AIB with PTSB lagging in 3rd.

Between Bank of Scotland and Ulster Bank, the UK taxpayer paid over 16 billion to bail their Irish operations out - and will see very little of that ever coming back.

Bank of Ireland has paid the Irish taxpayer back in full with interest and penalties and AIB will get there someday in the next few years and PTSB might be a little longer

So maybe relook at where you direct your anger (without the SF / PBP / lefty all banks are bastards train of thought)

BOI management will be proud of ya.

Fooks sake one would think we the taxpayers and indeed customers should actually be paying poor old BOI what with your synopsis of the banking crisis.

Remember this ad.

BOI still needed a bailout of 4.8 billion for all the great work they did in not being another Anglo or Irish Nationwide.

And what about the loans bought by NAMA (i.e. the taxpayers again) from BOI with nominal value of 1.93 billion ?

Yeah AIB will get there someday, maybe after of course they have ridden their customers as per usual. :rolleyes:
    Funny that the C&AG’s report from 2019 believed they would never repay the investment of the Irish taxpayer in AIB, and that was before Covid.
    It is unlikely that the State will generate a surplus on its investment of €22.2 billion in AIB. At the end of 2018, this investment has cost the State an estimated €9.5 billion, after taking account of the €7.1 billion value of its remaining shareholding in AIB [a valuation that has since fallen to €5.1 billion].

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hoboo wrote: »

Because my job isn't a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Hopefully someone new enters the market soon to increase competition.

• Advertisement

FrankN1 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone new enters the market soon to increase competition.

Avant have for mortgages and are really low(for ireland)

Advertisement