Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...yea this is gonna accelerate the timeline to the ge now, as this is clearly the beginning of the end of the government...

ah all three parties are in trouble, but the greens are screwed, and im a greeny myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Fair play to You for admission. I used to be a Labour supporter but Gilmore, Burton, Kelly finished me with them. I switched to SD’s but I didn’t follow their poster advice - I voted no & no.

Where to from here? Who knows:)

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

...im not alone in not having a political home, and i suspect it may always be this way, i clearly vote, but i have little or no expectations with who i vote for, we re in a right mess, with no clear solutions to our most critical of issues, and no real political entities capable of seriously tackling them either, western democracy is in a lot of trouble.....

...the greens going into this government was always gonna problematic for them, i admire them for doing so, as all the odds were stacked against them, but they will struggle to recovery from this one, and its possible, it could cause the disintegration of the party after the fact....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Don't worry, Catherine Martin will commission a report when they get wiped out in GE.Next

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Whether 80% or 40% turn out to vote in the GE, a govt will still be formed.

So not voting is of course everyones perogative. But its a pointless gesture as it makes no difference to the outcome.

A govt shall still form regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Arrogance. They thought these were home run victories and didn't want opposition involvement so they alone could receive the plaudits. They envisioned it as a feel good moment for the country to come together on International Women's Day and celebrate equality. A joyous day for everyone to feel proud in Ireland and how far it's progressed under recent governments ahead of the heavier business of the more important and divisive elections later.

They clearly got something very different and showed how completely out of touch with the public they are. Had they taken the steps necessary to involve the citizens assembly wording, allow opposition amendments and provide full transparency on the AG's advice then they could have avoided this shambles.

true enough, but people should have the right to also not vote...

yes a government will be formed, no matter what, but the formation process will very likely be lengthy, and messy to, i suspect it also could be another ffg government again, but far more unstable, and the fact a hell of a lot of people will want nothing to do with them, prepare for fireworks, and it wont be pretty....

FFG predicted 77 seats in latest polls.

Soc Dems 8.

FFG + Soc Dems leaves just 3 independents needed.

No fireworks. Pretty straight forward.

...you re failing the see the bigger picture here, theres clearly a rapidly rising number of people that are completely done with ffg, even though your numbers do and may stack up in forming a government, that doesnt necessarily mean it ll be a stable one, even if theres another ffg government, instabilities outside of government would probably mean serious trouble for the government of the day, do not underestimate how much anger is out there now, and how much instabilities that anger can bring.....

....the next few years are gonna be very unstable, and not just for ireland either....

Those folks done with FFG are factored into the seat count projections.

The numbers include that discontent. But still, a govt is easily formed.

There will indeed be headwinds from outside and inside of ireland, but still, a govt is easily formed.

• Advertisement

One choice polls do not reflect our PR voting system. Also there are many many FFG TDs standing down. Very difficult to elect new unknowns. I don't see FF and FG getting more than 50 seats.

Weren't the polls for referendum showing a solid Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I dunno why people are assuming that this will bring forward a GE date. If anything it's gonna cause the coalition to go full term, and in the mean time attempt to buy their way out of their epic mess with promises that will hurt the country more in the long run

...i disagree, i think government formation is gonna be very challenging in any case, and the whole process could be very elongated, even though i do suspect it ll default another ffg, or possibly even hung, who knows, and of course the external stresses outside of government, will very likely cause a very unstable one...

50 seats? I find that very unlikley.

But we shall see.

The projections are usually pretty accurate and difficult to see them coming in at less than 70 I would say.

If the polls are right and FFG pull in between 75 and 80 seats, it wont be difficult for them to form a govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He set it up for spot light exposure so why can we not judge, if it were the "opposition" like Sinn Fein he'd have plenty to say

Do politicians ever know when to leave well alone?

McDonald is doing herself & the shinners more damage pursuing the flogged horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭tom23

she’s stuck up her own hole. For this and this alone I hope they get a kicking in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

For people who follow him, I don't so I don't need to see it

You seem to follow him just to complain about him. Who is in the wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do you only want positive comments on him in a thread about the current government, everyone is entitled to an opinion, he is the government leader

• Advertisement

AS I said I don't vote for him, just pointing out the obvious obsession some people have over him.

Good analysis by Mary Regan

Government with questions to answer in referendum fallout (rte.ie)

Government with questions to answer in referendum fallout

There were no Government representatives present at Dublin Castle last night when the results were declared for the resounding referendum defeats.

Minister Roderic O'Gorman also sought to downplay the wider significance for the coalition. While the Government simply didn't manage to persuade people, he said, issues were raised in the campaign that were "incorrectly interpreted."

Government TDs (some of whom had doubts about the wisdom of this whole enterprise) are pondering the sheer inability of their parties to go out and communicate and sell a message to an electorate that it now appears remote from.

Ten years ago, Enda Kenny said his government had been dealt a "wallop" following the defeat of the referendum to abolish the Seanad. What happened yesterday was a far harder hit.

With a new record set for the biggest rejection of any referendum since the Constitution was written, this was more of a clobbering at Dublin Castle.

The Government might have run from its gates as soon as they could manage, but they can't hide from the many questions that will follow the outcome.

-----------------

Of course Enda promised to reform the Seanad after his shambolic referendum was defeated. There was no reform. More lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Local/European elections in three months time will now be very interesting. It's quite possible that if these results are poor for FF/FG then Varadkar or Martin may face leadership challenges in their parties as the general election approaches. How Varadkar hasn't faced one already is a mystery to me.

I saw this and also think it’s a fair reflection.

What got to me though was the reactions by the parties who backed the yes yes vote but aren’t in government. I saw Bacik on TV at lunchtime yesterday trying to make excuses.

Then I saw on TV in the afternoon MLMcD blabbering - I uploaded the link yesterday. Surely someone should be advising her to STFU.

The only one I haven’t heard being quoted is Holly Cairns, which under these circumstances is a good thing for her & her party.

BTW, anyone heard a peep from MM?

Mary Lou is going to cost SF a ton of votes in the coming elections. What she said yesterday in promising to rerun the referendums if elected was beyond moronic. I'm sure there are many in SF who are probably thinking they'd prefer Mary Lou up North and Michelle O'Neill down South.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭tom23

she is a liability at this stage

Funn you say that, I was at a party yesterday and of course the vote came up. It was clear the majority of people wouldn't vote Sinn fein, what I found strange was all of them said it was because of Mary Lou, very bad opinion of her. They all said if Michelle was in South they would consider voting for Sinn Fein but in next election no chance.

Now this was in border area so they keep a closer eye on politics in North than someone further away from border but was interesting all the same.

Personally I don't think slotting in Michelle for Mary Lou will make any difference as neither of them are making the decision on what direction the party is going

Mary Lou is calling the shots in SF. I don't subscribe to this "army council making the decisions" argument - it's total rubbish coming from the FF/FGers who, frankly, have caused such substantial damage to Ireland over the past 14 years that they need something to point their figures at in order not to have anyone scrutinise their own track records.

Mary Lou is a bit like Mary McAleesse. Both are heavily invested in the LGBTQ movement on account of their family members either being gay/transexual. This is moving into areas like removing mothers from the constitution (on International Women's Day of all days) on the basis of "equality" when really this was a referendum no one wanted and a cause which showed that less than one third of those who voted believed in. So instead of "the people have spoken" yesterday Mary Lou stated "it's the government's fault. The people have it wrong. I'll rerun it when elected". Crazy bad stuff on her part.

It's got nothing to do with LGBTQ or the vote, Mary Lou couldn't even come out before the vote and say vote no

The party political broadcast on Mary Lou is interesting but you are fooling nobody. Neither is blaming FF/FG for the setup of Sinn Fein. That's been in place a lot longer than SF becoming anyway relevant to discussions in Ireland.

Not sure why you are trying to drag in Mary McAleese to the conversation either, neither of them have anything in common at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭dmakc

FG would do well to swap Leo out as leader. I can't find a likeable trait about him and I notice the same in the public. I imagine he's not very relatable to most either. Who exactly does he appeal to?

I imagine he plays the house of cards well behind the scenes so I guess that must be it

Advertisement