Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to the UK from Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Ok so I be flying back from the UK to Ireland after a short weekend trip there. I will be taking the PCR test in Dublin airport as it's 72 hours before my arrival back in Ireland.

But my question Travel back from the airport to my home (a few hours away) - Can I get a lift and or the bus back home or do I need to self isolate for 5 days 😯 this will affect my work. Looking for clarity thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you're not vaccinated you need to self isolate then get a PCR test after 5 days. When that result comes back, if it's clear then you can go out again. So in reality is at least 6 days self isolation. Public transport from the airport is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Just make sure you book a slot for the PCR test when in UK. The bigger Boots outlets offer this service and results back in less than 24 hrs. So you need to work out the 'window' for the time you need to get back to Ireland as clock will be ticking from time of test.

So all the thousands of unvaccinated people travelling into Dublin airport from the UK go into self isolation the moment the arrive into the country? That sounds ludicrous. I'm sure they all get public transport or get a relative to pick them up and just do whatever they want.

That's the law. It's up to everyone to comply or risk the consequences (which can include mandatory hotel quarantine, a large fine and even imprisonment). They might not get caught but what kind of selfish so and so travels from a high risk area into a safer country and cares so little about who and where they're visiting not to comply with the laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

But the thing is, if he wants to not mention the fact he was in Portugal at all then he doesn't need to fill out a passenger locator form. So nobody will realise he was there.

Having travelled to the UK and back over the weekend, nobody once asked me for a test result, passenger locator form or covid cert travelling either direction. Nobody in the UK even checked my passport, it was just off the plane and straight out to collect your baggage.

Surely you had checks of documents to return to Ireland at airport? And Ryanair were looking for Covid Certs as well as boarding cards at gate to plane (last week Bristol). Passport control looked for passport, covid cert and locator form but some people were being allowed use the DIY passport gates so only passport check. So perhaps it was a bit random?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Must be random so as I was not asked for any of this stuff when travelling back to Dublin from Liverpool. I had it all ready, but was never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Just back from weekend from Bristol into Dublin, not asked for any documents just passport in Bristol before departing. I was worried it would take ages to get through but nothing.

Flying was pretty full with only some seats free maybe 5 or 6. Going to get PCR test in the morning and self isolate anyway. Spent the entire weekend at Silverstone for MOTOGP. Walked into any bars/ restaurants wearing masks may aswell had a duck of my head with the looks I was getting.

Anyway travel was easy, will be looking up flights for some breaks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Does Revolut work in the UK ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Any follow up calls/visits from Guards in regards to self isolating on your return? (Unvaccinated)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if i take the ferry through belfast is it no checks ?

Looking at a last minute flight home (today).

To clarify I don’t need anything going to the uk as I’m fully vaccinated but I do need to get a test for coming back to Ireland? The whole trip will be 48 hours if that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

All you need to do is fill out Irish PLF form before return to Ireland.

No test needed and your PLF will be glanced at for split second at departure gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

We're flying out of Dublin to Edinburgh 12.35pm Friday 10th returning 10.55pm Sunday 12th 3 of us are fully vaccinated but my 13 year old daughter is still waiting on the 2nd jab. Can she take the PCR test in Dublin on the way out?

For anyone travelling soon my experience was fairly straightforward, basically the same as pre covid. I didn’t have to show my covid cert either side or the passenger locator form back in Dublin, not sure if that’s the norm but that was my experience.

London is so different to here, on the tube I reckon 70/80% of people don’t wear masks, everyone hugging and kissing, pubs full, just felt normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bluefivetwo23

Hi Everyone. So I just got word that I need to travel to London tomorrow morning (and will hopefully be returning tomorrow night). I am fully vaccinated. Do I need any test or anything else to go to London? Or is it just the same as pre-covid? Just passport and boarding card? Thanks a lot for the help.

Also is the Covid Tracker app with my QR code on my phone sufficient proof to demonstrate I'm vaccinated? Thanks

• Advertisement

You're fine for going in with boarding card and qr code, coming back you need to complete the passenger locator form for Ireland

Perfect, Do I need to get this form anywhere or are we given it on the plane? Thanks a lot. Am i right in saying there is no need to self quarantine after returning from the UK if fully vaccinated? Sorry for all the questions!

Form is online only. You'll find it linked on this thread, or your airline's website or just Google it.

No quarantine if fully vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I flew Kerry/Luton 4 weeks ago and all I had to do was upload my HSE cert when I did the online check in, no one in Luton asked me for anything either arriving or departing and in Kerry they just checked passport and HSE cert on arrival. They were very strict on masks in Kerry airport but no one gave a sh*t on the flights or in Luton airport.

I'm doubly vaccinated

Whether they checked it or not, the plf is a legal requirement

So I can't find my actual paper proof of vaccination, i only have the QR code saved to my phone on the Covid Tracker app. Is this a problem?

I'm checking in on Ryanairs website and there is a place to upload documents but I only have this phone version.

Just found an email copy of it. Should I print this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

Taken from Ryanair website reference travel into UK;

You do not need to complete the passenger locator form or book COVID-19 tests if you’re travelling from one of the following places, and you were there for 10 days or more:

• Ireland
    • the Channel Islands
    • the Isle of Man

You do not have to complete the form if your job means you’re exempt.

When you fill out the online locator form, you will receive an acknowledgement of same into your email and this will include a link to the approved form... so have your phone handy and be ready to pull up this link as you Q at passport control on return to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I am visiting a relative in Manchester this weekend. In the past, I have brought over some food that she misses - e.g. a certain brand of sausages.

Can I still do that? I know the UK have deferred enforcing some regulations, but I don't know what the situation is at the moment.

Anybody Know?

Advertisement