Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to the UK from Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I am sure you will be fine! I saw that Wrights of Howth in Terminal one airside were selling sausages last month. Not sure about security and bringing on board tho, have had yogurt and jam confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Hi all,

Apologies for possibly derailing the thread. I am travelling in October with vaccinated friends into the UK using my car and a ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and back. I was looking at Irish Ferries site and it doesn't look like there's anything I need to do apart from a PLF on the way back.

____________________________________________________________________________________

[https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/travel-restrictions/]

What you need to do before traveling to BRITAIN from Ireland:

The latest travel advice to and from Britain is here. Ireland is an exempted country under the Common Travel Area (CTA), and Irish citizens are currently exempted from travel restrictions into the UK. That means that you do not need to take a COVID-19 test before travel or complete a Passenger Locator Form. Quarantine also does not apply for travel from the CTA (including Ireland) on arrival in Britain.

Please note, if you are not a resident of the Common Travel Area (UK, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey) OR have been outside the Common Travel Area in the 10 days prior to travel to Britain, you must complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF) before your arrival in Britain.

What you need for travel to IRELAND FROM BRITAIN:

Please go to www.gov.ie/travel , for the latest information on travel requirements to Ireland.

The requirements for arrivals from Britain into Ireland are as follows:

You must complete an online Passenger Locator Form (PLF) in advance of travel. Passengers who cannot produce a receipt for a passenger locator form will be denied boarding. Children should be included in the PLF of their accompanying adult. Only international transport workers in possession of an Annex 3 certificate, drivers of HGVs in the course of their duties and diplomats are exempt from the requirement to complete the passenger locator form. Further information and the form are available here – www.gov.ie/locatorform.

In addition to a completed passenger locator form, all passengers (except those exempt) must have one of the following: (Only those with either 1 or 2 below do not need to quarantine)

1. Evidence of having been fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved by the European Medicines Agency,

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Is there anything I'm missing in terms of restrictions? Also, any tips regarding driving in the UK? Any big differences from driving here? And finally, is there anything that I'm required to bring with me in the vehicle, eg, breathalyser?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Do you need to have those orange triangles?

Just been thru airport Terminal 1 this week and very sad to report Butlers closed from 1 pm to 4 pm due to staff shortages! Only the Marquette place now to get coffee and that was v busy.... no cafe in the gates area beyond the long walk... just a smoothie place and bar and long Q to latter. Pleased to see the Aircoach back to decent shedule and now back to old parking place in front of main door of Terminal 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 SaKi-The-Killer

Just so I'm clear as I'm travelling next week, anyone travelling Eire to Britain doesn't need any additional documentation other than Boarding Pass and Passport...but returning to Ireland requires PLF and Covid cert/neg PCR/recovery from covid cert.

That's my understanding. Does this align with others' experiences recently?

I've heard checks in Dublin are hit and miss...do the airlines not run checks? (Travelling Ryanair)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Yes, that's correct re documents.

Huge variety of airport/airline check experiences, impossible to predict, best to be prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

For the PLF it says I need to book a day 2 test but I'm coming back early on day 2. Can I get it at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭mrskinner

Is it possible to get petrol/diesel there if bringing a car to UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hard to tell how long shortages will last, where will be affected most and what limits are being put on purchases. Could be fine, could be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Help! My parents are going to see their Grandchildren in Canada next week for 5 weeks, I have sorted out everything from this end paperwork wise but I've obviously misread the coming home part.

They leave Vancouver on the 11th of Nov at 21.05 and arrive in Heathrow on the 12th at 14.25. Their flight to Dublin is at 15.35. When should they get their covid test and complete the PLF? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Hi

Im confused with the advice online, if I am travelling next week to London from Dublin for one night and flying back to Dublin the following day do I need a covid test done at any point?

I am fully vaccinated, thus have a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate, Passport and just need to fill out a passenger locator form before I fly back for Ireland?

Cheers

Redman🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

If you have a Valid EU covid cert then you don't need to do a covid test. Just fill out the Passenger locator form and you are good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Ah thats great, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask but are Ryanair still running reduced flights to Leeds Bradford from Dub? Had a search for flights from dub and seeing very few flights, some days none.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Yeah it's still fairly slim pickings. Manchester much more a normal schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭tech

Traveling from Dublin to Stansted at the end of the month, im fully vaccinated, and have a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate, will fill out the Passenger locater form also, Do I need anything else ? do I need a test to get back into Ireland again

only in Uk for 5 nights

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

You free to travel to the UK without needing to fill any passenger locator form or anything... on your return you will need to fill the passenger locator form within 72 hours of your return plus have your EU digital covid cert

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Lads I’ve been back and forth to the UK via ferry loads of times throughout the pandemic, when I wasn’t vaccinated I came home via Belfast to avoid the bullshit but always went back via Dublin, they don’t give a fiddlers on the UK side and don’t even ask you for a locator form, every time I was waived through without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭paulbok

What are the queues through security like in Dublin Airport for Ryanair flights at the moment?

Heading to London for 1 night on Saturday lunchtime. With just a small backpack with me, I would have previously been ok hitting the security desk an hour before flight time. Are the security queues longer/slower now with all that's gone on the last 2 years?

No issues getting there earlier if necessary, but want to minimise the time spent in the airport all the same.

Same question if anyone has flown back from Gatwick on a Sunday lunchtime as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

went through 2 weeks ago 11am flight , was through in under 5 minutes

was longer coming back through stanstead but I got fast track security

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I have been through Dublin airport twice in the past 2 weeks, first time arrived at security at 6am for an 8am flight, was through security in 10 minutes max.

Second time, arrived at 4am for a 6.20am flight, again through in 10 minutes maximum.

Plenty of security screening areas open and passengers moving through quickly.

Couple of friends been flying out of Dublin in the past couple of weeks, zero long delays at security.

It seems the bad exposure the DAA got for 1-2 days of madness has forced them to get their act together.

Great. Just booked a Bus Eireann express seat to/from the airport so it gets into the drop off point 1:20 from flight, so not too bad, delighted not to have to drive. Lack of food options in T1 notwithstanding (were never good in fairness)

More worried about getting from London to Gatwick on time on Sunday. Unannounced rail maintenance on a Sunday has nearly caught me before.

Will have to start googling that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

As a matter of interest, what's best way to get to Gatwick from London on a Sunday afternoon? Flying home from Gatwick on a Sunday in a couple of weeks time. I've never been to London previously. Is a taxi totally unfeasible cost wise to avoid the stress of public transport or how much would I be looking at anyone know??...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Depends on where in London you're travelling from.

Public transport (rail and underground) is the way to go.

I flew home from heathrow from St Albans yesterday, a day ticket was enough, couple of changes but their public transport is brilliant.

Southern railway service i always use when in via Gatwick to London, you can get a day ticket from their website, around the 18 GBP mark and you can use it on all their train services on the day and also can be used on Zone 1 to 6 on the tube and also on the bus services.

Great value ticket , and trains frequent, cant be used on the Gatwick express service though, but the Southern rail service is fast enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Where does that train leave from do you mind me asking?:) We are staying in a hotel beside Hyde Park

Go to https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey

Put in your hotel street and gatwick and it'll show the options, esp fir any underground links needed to get the train.

Make sure you put in the date and time in case of notified disruptions

It leaves from Victoria station, plenty of frequent services then to take you out to Gatwick airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jack747

Bringing my unvaccinated 11 year old nephew to a game in England and flying back to Dublin that day in November .

Anyone know of he will have to do a covid test or will he be ok without one?I’m obviously vaccinated.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement