Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish examiner article - Bishop Phonsie

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Thanks for the effort, however those links are to articles and surveys, not actual studies. You said "study after study" so surely they can't be that hard to find ?

By the way, the second link actually says the opposite of what you think ("wider acceptance of premarital sex today has made it more likely that its impact on marriage instability would decline") so maybe you need to read the things you are linking to a bit more carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nobody has called these groups (not parents - these are external anti-LGBT agitator groups, some based outside this state) anything which isn't amply borne out by their associations, track record, and their own utterances. So good luck with that. The question is why is Phonsie inviting these people? I can only conclude that he concurs with their views and, at the very least, does not disapprove of their methods.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Post edited by robindch on

[Yellow_Fern] Shame on you for trying to link standard mainstream conservative views as far right. It is cynical and dishonest. [...] I know one thing conservatives, like me, have not changed. It is your ilk who have changed.

Not sure if you got a chance to check the link I provided, or read my post before replying to it, but Bishop Phonsie was actively promoting an event which promoted far-right views and which hosted Tracey O'Mahony whose partner, Mike Connell is an active member of Ireland's far-right. Ms O'Mahony and Mr Connell could well wish that their far-right views were "mainstream conservative" as the marketing opportunities for far-right scams would be correspondingly greater.

BTW, referring to your fellow-posters, including forum mods, as "your ilk" is against the forum charter. You will find that engaging with some civility will do much to prevent you from acquiring cards, bans, etc.

Ireland is lucky not to have a genuine far-right presence

Presumably the thugs outside the Dail last night screaming obscenities and threatening the country's elected politicians - even right-wing dog-whistlers like Mr Healy-Rae - were just, I don't know, "concerned citizens"?

Here's a couple of actual studies to help you along as you seem to be finding it difficult to locate them :

BMJ Global Health https://gh.bmj.com/content/8/3/e010556

"Conclusion Most of the family outcomes are similar between sexual minority and heterosexual families, and sexual minority families have even better outcomes in some domains."

National Library Of Medicine

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4091994/

"To date the consensus in the recent social science literature is clear: children living with two same-sex parents fare just as well as children residing with two different-sex parents."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

They are popular articles based on specific studies. Youd find them more digestible. The authors were working under a premise that premartial sex would have a no impact. Yet they found it.

You couldnt prove these people are far right if you life depended on it.

Funny how you say nothing when posters call me *** lula, or heap personal abuse on Fonsie. Ilk is not a slur. **** lulu is a horrible slur. maybe Apply some standards to your side. Tribalism is bad. None of the event in Clonmel is far right. Show proof that Tracey O'Mahony and Mike Connell are far right. Do you label and slander or do you have substance?

Deflection.

Why is Phonsie endorsing these odious people?

Life ain't always empty.

Report the post then (And yes it is out of order imo) but, afaik, robindch is not a moderator in this forum so I'm not sure exactly who you expect them to 'apply standards' to, or how.

Mike Connell is a far-right activist and racist, that is not up for debate. He calls for the murder of elected representatives on a regular basis.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Show proof that Tracey O'Mahony and Mike Connell are far right.

You can find plenty of information regarding Ms O'Mahony and the far-right views she promotes, and the far-right people she promotes them to, here https://the-beacon.ie/2020/12/06/new-group-founded-by-former-renua-members-crowdfunding-e250000-to-challenge-lockdown-laws-in-court/. Her gofundme page has collected a very healthy sum of over €150,000 for a fatuous lockdown-related court case which has yet to come to court and may well have been filed with a view to it being thrown out immediately, allowing Ms O'Mahony to keep the money - go Ms O'Mahony! https://www.gofundme.com/f/erosion-of-fundamental-freedoms

Mr Connell's youtube channel is filled with common far-right tropes https://www.youtube.com/@SatSol62/videos and his most recent video has him openly enjoying being called "far-right" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJRZOZGXII0

Why is Phonsie endorsing these odious people?

Perhaps Phonsie has fallen down the same far-right rabbit hole as so many other malicious or vulnerable individuals have.

Well he does appear rather credulous, in fact it's his job 😁

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yellow_Fern, we're still all waiting on those studies.

If you don't want to provide them then we'll just all assume you lied.

I can digest just fine thanks, as the studies I linked for you perhaps prove.

As I mentioned before, one of the articles you linked to actually states the opposite to your beliefs, so it is perhaps yourself that needs help with digestion.

Back to the main question, you said there was "study after study". Yet your links are articles. They are not studies. I cannot make this any clearer.

Sure they are not studies,, but they are evidence based articles and all report data that is easy to link to studies. No need to attack me for posting summary popular articles over actual scientific publications which many people cant even access.

The article you mentioned did not contradict what I said, it merely offered a counter trend. if you dug out the original article, it says, women who waiting to marriage had the lowest divorce rate, while the women who had 10 or more partners were the most likely to divorce. Nicholas H. Wolfinger just found, there was in-between peak with women who had 2 partners. The effect was huge too. https://ifstudies.org/blog/counterintuitive-trends-in-the-link-between-premarital-sex-and-marital-stability

Post edited by Yellow_Fern on

You are the one who lied with your

''As for schools, the church has always been against sex education in our schools."

Untrue. Maybe some Catholics you know always have but that is not true of the Catholic patron organisation or Catholic leaders.

"The current situation and conspiracy theories being pushed by the religious is just another version of the satanic panic.."

It is hardly a conspiracy theory when the minister of education confirms it as Norma Foley has done

"But its evident you don't agree because you call blow jobs a "dubious idea"

No Never said that. Three clear lies. Totally unreliable posting in this thread

What exactly are you claiming Norma Foley has done, and will you be providing anything to support this claim?

Life ain't always empty.

The journalist Fatima Gunning here reads excepts of one of the books in question https://tinyurl.com/2ewtdfwj

I actually winced listening to it. This book could be easily be construed as a sex manual, but it is aimed at 12 and up and was recommended reading by the State in Ireland. This is why sometimes people call the new progressives as 'groomers'. But if you dare criticise it, if you dare go against them, you will be blacklisted as far right.

• Advertisement

Will you clarify what it is you claimed Norma Foley has done, and will you provide any evidence for this claim?

If you regard Gript as a credible source why have you obfuscated the link?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

was recently told a story of an extremely religious couple that has completely ostracised their child and their grandkids due to a teenage pregnancy, now thats seriously fcuked up stuff, this is exactly what causes serious lifetime traumas and dysfunction's!

Advertisement