Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

This is why the loss of people like Tiger and Phil is a killer.

Tiger was in it to show everyone - a sort of motivation outside of money , pure killer.

I guess there is nothing we can do about this. It is what it is.

Justin Thomas worth well over 50 million and has won just one major :eek:

Likes of Rory - what the hell is he at - 6/7 years of his prime and lads he is way better than - picking up handy majors.

I think Mickelson will be around for a few more years yet. Finishing Top 20 or Top 25 was a good achievement after his opening round and considering the quality of players that missed the cut it was a good result. He said in a recent interview that he is committed to PGA tour for foreaseeable future. He is hitting a lot more fairways than he used to and his distance is up there with the best of them. He clocked 359 yards on 4th yesterday with 310 carry which is amazing for a 50 year old. I watched him closely this week. His touch around the green was probably only bettered by Spieth, Reid and Matsyuama yesterday. What is leaving him down massively is the putting. he is using a bladed putter which is a throwback to the 90's. The amount of decent birdie opportunities he missed was criminal. I doubt he made one from outside 20 feet all week. He also changed putting grips mid tournament from claw to more conventional grip. He could have easily been looking at a top 5 finish and a -6 total. I have no doubt he can win again on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

callaway92 wrote:
    Not so sure on Champ being a Major winner. He really hasn't materialised into what people would've hoped. MIGHT nick a win here and there but not gonna be a mainstay in the rankings. Similar for McIntyre - Not getting that feeling so far.
    Champ was 19th on the Masters last year and 10th in the PGA championship. He's going to at least come close in a few majors over the next couple of years.
    MacIntyre is a class act, he is going to be a top five golfer in the next few years and I think he'll remain there for quite a while too. Very aggressive player and it's funny because he's a lefty and reminds me so much of Mickelson.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Champ was 19th on the Masters last year and 10th in the PGA championship. He's going to at least come close in a few majors over the next couple of years.
    MacIntyre is a class act, he is going to be a top five golfer in the next few years and I think he'll remain there for quite a while too. Very aggressive player and it's funny because he's a lefty and reminds me so much of Mickelson.

Yeah Macintyre is fearless. Coming into Amen Corner sorts the men from the boys. I was impressed at how he took dead aim at the 12th pin instead of some of his more esteemed colleagues who were making sure of their paycheck by taking more conservative options.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Turned put to be a lot more interesting than I thought it was going to be after 9 holes last night. Matsuyama did his best to try and lose it but was delighted he won given the golf he played on Saturday which was sensational. Other take always for me were the performances of Zalatoris and McIntyre which were out of this world. Also need to mention Mickleson who rolled back the years and but for his putting would have been a lot closer. Always enjoy the Masters and the back 9 on a Sunday never disappoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I don't see it in McIntyre. Don't quite have enough data on him yet to really know where he will be sitting in 2-3 years (for what I'd want).

Yeh Champ may come close obviously, especially from his distance alone but he won't be someone hanging around the top like Schauffele the whole time etc.

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    I don't see it in McIntyre. Don't quite have enough data on him yet to really know where he will be sitting in 2-3 years (for what I'd want).

Yeh Champ may come close obviously, especially from his distance alone but he won't be someone hanging around the top like Schauffele the whole time etc.

Schauffele is kind of becoming like another Garcia in terms of performance in majors without winning one and hopefully doesn't turn out like Westwood. Anyway I think he has too much talent for that. If he holed out that bunker shot on 15th which was incredibly close it would have been a 3 shot swing instead of 2 coming into 16. He might not have had to be so cavalier in his approach to 16 then. I think Matsyuama fell over the line a bit and no one put any form of sustained pressure on him. Any nerves that were jangling early doors would have been calmed a bit by Schauffeles 4 dropped shots from holes 3-5. Schauffele is a sound skin but appears to lack that killer instinct to take the next step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Thought Zalatoris was so impressive this week, personally thought he might fall away at the weekend but some of his golf was outstanding. Could watch him all day, for a lad with not a lot of weight behind him he hits the ball a mile. Mad how he isn't even a full member of the PGA. Definitely a future major winner, if he can get his putting to match his ball striking he will be some force

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Apparently Hideki and Spieth had almost the exact same length of time between their recent wins and their previous wins. Hideki 1344 days, Spieth 1351. Strange one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Well Rory doesn't deserve to even be in a conversation about majors at this point in time, when was the last time he won one, He's golfs Wayne Rooney, peaked early and burnt out, at least mentally anyway.

For me it shows how good and consistent Tiger really was, and frankly how rare a player to dominate the way he did, Jack was really the last one to dominate like that and they're not a bad pair.

So who do i think will contend and win the next 6 or 7 majors,
    i would agree with some of fixed choices

Bryson has to be top dog the guy is relentless and driven to do whatever it takes.
    John Rahm, it's only a matter of time.
    Dj still has the game and the fitness but will always be in one week and out the next.
    Colin Morikawa has the all round game to play any course.
    Koepka if he can sort his knee out.
    Spieth if he finds a bit of consistency

then lots of young guys who can win on a good week it is very open these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

I think people are being a bit harsh on Schauffele. It's only his 4th Masters, he's got a 2nd and a 3rd place finish in those (8 top 10s in the 16 majors he's played, 4 of them top 3s). He had a shaky start yesterday alright, but got from -4 back to -10 and then he hit bad tee shot on 16. An extra few yards on that shot and he could easily have won, at that point Matsyuama was only going one direction. I think Xander allowed for adrenaline on his club choice on 16 out of fear of going long and it didn't pay off. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he will get his break at some point. With the exception of Tiger and Spieth, very few win majors this early in career. Particularly the Masters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

newport2 wrote: »
    I think people are being a bit harsh on Schauffele. It's only his 4th Masters, he's got a 2nd and a 3rd place finish in those (8 top 10s in the 16 majors he's played, 4 of them top 3s). He had a shaky start yesterday alright, but got from -4 back to -10 and then he hit bad tee shot on 16. An extra few yards on that shot and he could easily have won, at that point Matsyuama was only going one direction. I think Xander allowed for adrenaline on his club choice on 16 out of fear of going long and it didn't pay off. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he will get his break at some point. With the exception of Tiger and Spieth, very few win majors this early in career. Particularly the Masters.

He's much more likely to win a major than anyone else who was in contention last night, Matsuyama probably won't win another one, but at least he took his chance last night. There are some silly predictions made during and immediately after a tournament. Matthew Wolff will win multiple majors was one, the chap can't hit a fairway, its not all about distance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Matthew Wolff will win multiple majors was one, the chap can't hit a fairway, its not all about distance either.

Speaking of which

Does anyone know why he has gone to potty this season? Between wrong score cards and pulling out of events something seems not right.

Speaking of which

Does anyone know why he has gone to potty this season? Between wrong score cards and pulling out of events something seems not right.

That is something I was wondering about myself. I think the US open final round at Winged Foot has stuck with him a bit.

He's much more likely to win a major than anyone else who was in contention last night, Matsuyama probably won't win another one, but at least he took his chance last night. There are some silly predictions made during and immediately after a tournament. Matthew Wolff will win multiple majors was one, the chap can't hit a fairway, its not all about distance either.
    Wolff is going through a rough patch right now but he was the best of that college class that all came out around the same time. He has the killer instinct for sure, he'll win majors.
    Also watch out for Brandon Wu as well from that same class. He's on the Korm Ferry your right now and gets the odd PGA tour start. Going through a bit of a rough patch the last couple of weeks too. Still he's just as good as Wolff, Hovland and Morikawa.
    And a golfer coming out of Stanford with a surname beginning with W has to be good, following 25 years after Tiger who came 25 years after Tom Watson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Speaking of which

I've seen rumblings online that he's had some personal problems, would explain his fairly steep downturn in form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Well Rory doesn't deserve to even be in a conversation about majors at this point in time, when was the last time he won one, He's golfs Wayne Rooney, peaked early and burnt out, at least mentally anyway.

For me it shows how good and consistent Tiger really was, and frankly how rare a player to dominate the way he did, Jack was really the last one to dominate like that and they're not a bad pair.

So who do i think will contend and win the next 6 or 7 majors,
    i would agree with some of fixed choices

Bryson has to be top dog the guy is relentless and driven to do whatever it takes.
    John Rahm, it's only a matter of time.
    Dj still has the game and the fitness but will always be in one week and out the next.
    Colin Morikawa has the all round game to play any course.
    Koepka if he can sort his knee out.
    Spieth if he finds a bit of consistency

then lots of young guys who can win on a good week it is very open these days

What do people get out of ragging on Rory all the time?!

The guys is a superstar golfer and will be back maybe even a lot quicker than people think. USPGA back at the scene of one of his big major victories next month. Might be a bit soon for him, but I wouldn't rule it out.

With his game in disarray, he misses the cut by a shot behind the world number 1 and he's finished?! Yet DJ is still the man (he is) and will win more (he will).

I'm looking forward to Rory's next major win and hopefully he puts the field to the sword like less than a handful of golfers have ever been able to do in history!

What do people get out of ragging on Rory all the time?!
    I don't see many ragging on about Rory all the time.The guy just likened him to somebody else who was brilliant when he was young but went backwards early, he's entitled to his opinion.
    The guys is a superstar golfer and will be back maybe even a lot quicker than people think. USPGA back at the scene of one of his big major victories next month. Might be a bit soon for him, but I wouldn't rule it out.
    Well I'd be looking at the changes in his life as a key factor. His wife got pregnant and had a baby and his poor golf begun when she was pregnant.
    He might be really enjoying being a father and maybe struggling to find the hunger for golf right now.
    With his game in disarray, he misses the cut by a shot behind the world number 1 and he's finished?! Yet DJ is still the man (he is) and will win more (he will).
    Nobody compared him to DJ as far as I'm aware.
    I'm looking forward to Rory's next major win and hopefully he puts the field to the sword like less than a handful of golfers have ever been able to do in history!
    I'm looking forward to him returning to form but it might be a while if family has become a very important part of his life and I'll give him credit I'd that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Wolff is going through a rough patch right now but he was the best of that college class that all came out around the same time. He has the killer instinct for sure, he'll win majors.
    Also watch out for Brandon Wu as well from that same class. He's on the Korm Ferry your right now and gets the odd PGA tour start. Going through a bit of a rough patch the last couple of weeks too. Still he's just as good as Wolff, Hovland and Morikawa.
    And a golfer coming out of Stanford with a surname beginning with W has to be good, following 25 years after Tiger who came 25 years after Tom Watson.

Brandon Wu has played in majors, 2 British opens I think. I don't know if he has turned professional yet, think he did at the end of last season, he's one to watch for sure, and has had consistent results in the korn ferry tour, he certainly won a tournament around May or June last year. He may have turned up on the outlaw tour as well, Joel Dahmen started there, its the level below the korn ferry tour. I think the lesson in all of this is if you stand still, people will pass you out, it's a high standard. Think Wolff was pressured into making swing changes, but if that's the case he should go back to what worked for him. He came to golf from a baseball background. I think it's irrelevant what you swing like, look at Jim Furyk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Brandon Wu has played in majors, 2 British opens I think. I don't know if he has turned professional yet, think he did at the end of last season, he's one to watch for sure, and has had consistent results in the korn ferry tour, he certainly won a tournament around May or June last year. He may have turned up on the outlaw tour as well, Joel Dahmen started there, its the level below the korn ferry tour. I think the lesson in all of this is if you stand still, people will pass you out, it's a high standard. Think Wolff was pressured into making swing changes, but if that's the case he should go back to what worked for him. He came to golf from a baseball background. I think it's irrelevant what you swing like, look at Jim Furyk

It's like guys coming out of the draft in the NFL, no one's certain to make it until they do.

Wu didn't come out at the same time as the other three. He stayed in college to play in the Walker Cup. As a result he didn't get offered sponsor invites like the other three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That performance by Macintyre must put him in a good position for the Ryder Cup. Building on last year's performances nicely so delighted to see him doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭GillLebowski

callaway92 wrote: »
    Not so sure on Champ being a Major winner. He really hasn't materialised into what people would've hoped. MIGHT nick a win here and there but not gonna be a mainstay in the rankings. Similar for McIntyre - Not getting that feeling so far.
    I'm not too sure but I could see him winning one, maybe two in the next 10 years. He's only 25, plenty of time to adjust some parts of his game if he wants. He has the potential, he hasn't shone like he could have, but he has been doing alright. Not spectacular, but he's been mosying along nicely. 19th at a Master, 10th at a PGA, and 26th this year at the Masters. He didn't have a great few years after turning pro but seems to be sharpening up hopefully.

I think McIntyre probably has a better chance, 6th in his first Major at Royal Portrush, didn't have a great 2020 but then again I wouldn't hold 2020 form against anyone. 12th in his first Masters. Hopefully can play well on the European Tour this year and I'd love to see him playing the Open on a Scottish course, even just for the crowds. And like Champ, he has age on his side.
    Apparently Hideki and Spieth had almost the exact same length of time between their recent wins and their previous wins. Hideki 1344 days, Spieth 1351. Strange one

Oh God... The stats boys will have some brand new angles for the next few years :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It definitely needs more patrons at it. You can’t beat hearing a cheer and wondering what’s happened !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A lot of talk about "characters" in the past few days... Matsuyama seems like a reasonable one. Still driving around in a minivan, casually throwing the green jacket on a spare chair while he waits for a standard flight as casual as you like.

https://twitter.com/CraigESPN/status/1381641220808663042?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

PARlance wrote: »
    A lot of talk about "characters" in the past few days... Matsuyama seems like a reasonable one. Still driving around in a minivan, casually throwing the green jacket on a spare chair while he waits for a standard flight as casual as you like.

https://twitter.com/CraigESPN/status/1381641220808663042?s=19

If that was me, I'd have definitely gone over to Hideki and asked to try on the green jacket!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I thought they weren't allowed take the green jacket home with them? Didn't someone who won recently take it home 'accidently' and there was a lot of hullabaloo about it. Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly

I thought they weren't allowed take the green jacket home with them? Didn't someone who won recently take it home 'accidently' and there was a lot of hullabaloo about it. Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly
    You are not supposed to take it home but people have been given permission before and I'd imagine Hideki got permission to wear it in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I think you get to take it home for the first year and then it stays in Augusta after that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The green jacket is reserved for Augusta National members and golfers who win the Masters. Jackets are kept on club grounds, and taking them off the premises is forbidden. The exception is for the winner, who can take it home and return it to the club the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/04/11/masters-green-jacket-six-facts/amp/

Some facts about green jacket here.

Of course Gary player would have brought it home :rolleyes:

Advertisement