Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

How's your Japanese?

It would be fairly good if I worked and lived there for the last 10 years earning millions. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Xander10

I warmed to him. Genuine modest guy by the looks of thing. Glad he got it done in the end. And good for World golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

fullstop wrote: »
    What’s the deal with these new cameras they have when the players are walking that blur out the background?

They use those in the NFL, 8k cameras they're called I think, apparently they cost an absolute fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What’s the deal with these new cameras they have when the players are walking that blur out the background?

Trying to be all cinematography bull**** to be honest.

It doesn't match with sport - because sport is about the fans , the experience the atmosphere.

But - unreal camera quality all week - so we can let the production team have their odd moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They use those in the NFL, 8k cameras they're called I think, apparently they cost an absolute fortune

I’m not sure if I like them or not! Sometimes it’s kinda cool but think they overdid it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭waynescales1

They’re quality, love the effect they create. They used them during Barca v Real yesterday.

I’m not sure if I like them or not! Sometimes it’s kinda cool but think they overdid it a bit.

I love it as you can see the true color and detail of the course - as a friend said you can see actual imperfections on a course you could not see before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I really like them although I'm not sure they add a lot to the coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I think on 13th the commentators commented how risky the shot was, mind games against his close contestant. Winning by 1 shot, lucky he made that call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

sligeach wrote:
    Matsuyama's speech will be the first not in English, I think.

Edit: Yep.

Cabrera didn't speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

eagle eye wrote: »
    Cabrera didn't speak English.

He will have plenty of time to learn it in the nick

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Lip Out wrote: »
    It would be fairly good if I worked and lived there for the last 10 years earning millions. ;)
    Ok, how's your Irish then?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Best player won. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The whitest, most Anglo Saxon, most Protestant, most Republican, most misogynistic room on God's green earth.

I'm surprised they didn't tip him out of habit.

There is some good diversity on the Champions Dinner now, they have the bingo card checked (the Indian, the Asian and the African American) and that should see them through for the next 30 or so years...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Enzokk wrote: »
    There is some good diversity on the Champions Dinner now, they have the bingo card checked (the Indian, the Asian and the African American) and that should see them through for the next 30 or so years...:eek:

Hopefully next year they will get rid of those horrible boiler suits that the caddies have to wear. It is a throwback to the days when all the caddies were employees of Augusta National and were exclusively black and when the players were exclusively white. The white boiler suit was the caddies uniform.
    Players and caddies work as a team and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Augusta National represents everything that's bad about golf, and probably the US, but The Masters is a great tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

forumdedum wrote: »
    I think on 13th the commentators commented how risky the shot was, mind games against his close contestant. Winning by 1 shot, lucky he made that call.

I think that was well overblown. He was about 200 yards out, laying up would have been a weird call. Similarly laying up on 15 isn't an easy choice either, the pitch shot is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It’s amazing how many pros are serious ball strikers but from 10 feet in they look like they never seen a putter.

I appreciate the slick and fast greens they play on and it’s on different planet to what we play but still just seems funny that what looks the easier thing to learn seems be the harder adjustment for so many.

Corey Connors and Ancer for example.

In saying that, delighted for Hideki. The video of the caddy bowing shows the class of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was about to turn it off after the final group tee shots on the 15th but glad I didn't. If Schaufele hadn't messed up on 16 it would've been some final 2 holes, Hideki was so nervous anything could've happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I was about to turn it off after the final group tee shots on the 15th but glad I didn't. If Schaufele hadn't messed up on 16 it would've been some final 2 holes, Hideki was so nervous anything could've happened.

We turned over when Hideki was 6 ahead and everyone else flailing. Kept an eye on the scores while watching Line if Duty recordings. Turned it back on just as Shaufelle was on the 16th tee as it had tightened up. We didn't last long.

Thought Zalatoris was amazing. Player of the championship for me. Really pleased for Lowry also, although i heard on the radio this morning that all of his support team are heading back to Ireland to avoid the mandatory quarantine. Has no caddy lined up for next week apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

sligeach wrote: »
    Matsuyama played the last 4 holes 3 over par. Disappointing end. Lucky in some ways, but glad he won.

Lucky to beat the best players in the world over 72 holes on one of the hardest courses in the world.
    Sorry but your comment makes no sense.
    He used the shots he had like any top pro would to get the job done.
    As for getting rid of the boiler suits, dear god why not just get rid of all traditions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Lucky to beat the best players in the world over 72 holes on one of the hardest courses in the world.
    As for getting rid of the boiler suits, dear god why not just get rid of all traditions :(

In fairness it does make some sense, coming down the final few holes with the knowledge that bogeys are good enough takes a huge amount of pressure off.

In the same circumstances many other years might have different winners.

It's not taking anything away from the winner, but it is a valid point.

I think the point is - he fell over the line with little or no pressure from the others.

Fair play to him. But I'd be more disappointed with the with the top guys (more established Major players) not giving this tournament a proper run.

DJ
    Rory
    Justin Thomas
    Spieth

I guess the game is in a difficult transition at the moment. Big stars are leaving or out of form. No sport could handle the following not as present as they should be

Phil has just turned senior
    Tiger has had a major car crash
    Rory is going to change his game
    Koepka is injured

It will be interesting to see who grabs the game by the balls and wins a few majors. DJ , Bryson - Rahm ?

But even after last night - I wouldn't be picking Matsuyama, the players at the top of the game will be exerting far more pressure then what he was exposed to last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭GillLebowski

It really is impossible to please some of you guys...

"There's no characters..."
    Hideki was top amateur 10ish years ago, has been in contention for majors but never won one. All of Japan probably delighted and going crazy. Somebody mentioned it was 3am in Japan so hardly anyone would be watching. Japan is probably more patriotic than Ireland, just because only a handful of people here would tune in to watch Lowry if he was leading in the middle of the night doesn't mean the same for Japan. They love anyone in any sport that is doing well and follow them no matter what the sport is, just because they're Japanese...
    Zalatoris, a debutant who doesn't even have a tour card. Was one shot away from winning the f*cking thing. Plays with no fear and looks like he's actually having fun out there...
    Schauffele who's always the nearly man making a run and piling serious pressure on Hideki until he went into the drink himself...
    Would you prefer McIlroy up there? Who has the personality of a doorknob?

"This is the least exciting Masters in years"
    Last years was virtually the same, we basically had our winner after Saturday, but unlike today, there wasn't a major push by anyone and no collapse by DJ... This years was definitely better.
    In fairness, between Willett and DJ winning were 3 incredible years, but Willett's wasn't that exciting and Spieth basically won his in the first round the year before...
    Obviously we all watch in the hope that it'll be won on the 18th or a playoff, but if we're realistic and manage your expectations properly it can be good.

Hideki played an unbelievable back 9 on the Saturday, and a good front 9 on Sunday. You can't blame him that other players didn't push him. For me, I was delighted. He stormed onto the scene, went off the boil for a few years and is now back, and a major winner, and at only 29 could add a few more. His iron play is great to watch, especially when he does all his yardage and club selections himself, his caddy is basically just there to carry his clubs pretty much.
    Zalatoris lost his chance himself. He'll probably be kicking himself that he tried to play safe on 12, and ended up with a bogey. That being said, what a tournament on his debut. 2nd in a Masters on your first go at Augusta? Unreal... He's done really well this year already and hope he continues improving.

A lot of young guys in the top 20/30 that I'm looking forward to seeing over the next few years and hopefully they'll win a few majors between them, they've got plenty of time to learn...
    Cameron Champ
    Viktor Hovland
    Scottie Scheffler
    Colin Morikawa
    Robert McIntyre
    Si Woo Kim
    Will Zalatoris

I think Champ is the oldest of these at only 25... And I thought McIntyre and Zalatoris both did really well on their first rounds round Augusta...

One of the things I was most impressed about this weekend was the fantastic website and app the Masters has. Extremely well designed and comprehensive. Compare and contrast with the overblown messes that are the pga and European tour websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I think the point is - he fell over the line with little or no pressure from the others.

Fair play to him. But I'd be more disappointed with the with the top guys (more established Major players) not giving this tournament a proper run.

DJ
    Rory
    Justin Thomas
    Spieth

I guess the game is in a difficult transition at the moment. Big stars are leaving or out of form. No sport could handle the following not as present as they should be

Phil has just turned senior
    Tiger has had a major car crash
    Rory is going to change his game
    Koepka is injured

It will be interesting to see who grabs the game by the balls and wins a few majors. DJ , Bryson - Rahm ?

But even after last night - I wouldn't be picking Matsuyama, the players at the top of the game will be exerting far more pressure then what he was exposed to last night.

I think there is a malaise in the game which is caused by the eye-watering amounts of money that the PGA players are making just by turning up for events and making the cut on a regular basis. Players are making millions without coming close to winning anything. I know that titles are nice to win but the first objective of s pro golfer is to make a good living. Maybe a lot of them are making too good a living without having that passion and will to win that makes top level sport worth watching.
    I actually enjoy seeing a player lose the rag occasionally over a bad shot. At least it shows they care.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

A lot of young guys in the top 20/30 that I'm looking forward to seeing over the next few years and hopefully they'll win a few majors between them, they've got plenty of time to learn...
    Cameron Champ
    Viktor Hovland
    Scottie Scheffler
    Colin Morikawa
    Robert McIntyre
    Si Woo Kim
    Will Zalatoris

I think Champ is the oldest of these at only 25... And I thought McIntyre and Zalatoris both did really well on their first rounds round Augusta...

Not so sure on Champ being a Major winner. He really hasn't materialised into what people would've hoped. MIGHT nick a win here and there but not gonna be a mainstay in the rankings. Similar for McIntyre - Not getting that feeling so far.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I think there is a malaise in the game which is caused by the eye-watering amounts of money that the PGA players are making just by turning up for events and making the cut on a regular basis. Players are making millions without coming close to winning anything. I know that titles are nice to win but the first objective of s pro golfer is to make a good living. Maybe a lot of them are making too good a living without having that passion and will to win that makes top level sport worth watching.
    I actually enjoy seeing a player lose the rag occasionally over a bad shot. At least it shows they care.

This is why the loss of people like Tiger and Phil is a killer.

Tiger was in it to show everyone - a sort of motivation outside of money , pure killer.

I guess there is nothing we can do about this. It is what it is.

Justin Thomas worth well over 50 million and has won just one major :eek:

Likes of Rory - what the hell is he at - 6/7 years of his prime and lads he is way better than - picking up handy majors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

One of the things I was most impressed about this weekend was the fantastic website and app the Masters has. Extremely well designed and comprehensive. Compare and contrast with the overblown messes that are the pga and European tour websites.

For the most part, yes. Android app freezes for me constantly, but usually recovers. Great to be able to click on a player and see their shots on the current hole quickly. But that freezing really takes from the experience.

Advertisement