Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quiz question?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think the fact that it’s a “2” rather than a “II” is significant. It’s named after the first ship rather than Elizabeth R.

And the first ship was named after the Queen Mother.

Ding ding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Name shared by a: Singer/Actor/Racecourse/Character in CSI

Carlisle? Belinda & Robert.

Carlisle? Belinda & Robert.

Wasn't the one I was thinking about.. Don't know if CSI had a character called Carlisle; but I'll have to give it to ya Joe, cos I don't know otherwise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wasn't the one I was thinking about.. Don't know if CSI had a character called Carlisle; but I'll have to give it to ya Joe, cos I don't know otherwise :D

No idea on csi tbh, have never seen it. So close i guess but no cigar!

No idea on csi tbh, have never seen it. So close i guess but no cigar!

I think a character called Carlisle only featured in 1 or two episodes (according to wiki)

One I was thinking about.. Clue - A relative of Whitney's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Name shared by a: Singer/Actor/Racecourse/Character in CSI

Warwick

Warwick

:D Correct BDB!

Dionne Warwick
    Warwick Davis
    Warwick (racetrack in Warwickshire)
    Warrick (spelling semantics :P) - Afro-haired chap in CSI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

monseiur wrote: »
    A sport related question
    Name the Welsh rugby player, not, according his team mates, an outwardly religious person, who famously declared that he religiously went straight into 'church' after every rugby match.

As was correctly answered it was Gavin Henson
    For those young ones on here who did not get to joke, the Church that Mr. Henson referred to was his then girlfriend the singer Charlotte Church!
    Pat Kenny got caught out on that one live on radio.

I remember hearing that live. Somebody pointed it out to him and he got upset. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I remember hearing that live. Somebody pointed it out to him and he got upset. Hilarious.

Des Cahill saying ‘please stop saying it’.

The tide is turning…

What is the most southern state in North America ?
    dulpit wrote: »
    If you mean USA, I think it's Hawaii.
    I'd say Yucatan or one of those Mexican states down there.

Wouldn't say Hawaii is in North America.
    Yep, Hawaii is the correct answer

Chiapas is further south than Hawaii.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Chiapas is further south than Hawaii.

Hawaii is the correct answer

(Apologies, my original question should read USA not North America)

When did Good Friday fall on Easter Monday ?

Irish Grand National...

Irish Grand National...
    Correct !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Came up earlier in the thread that it never actually happened or if it did there is no record of it.

Alongside the winning the FA Cup and Never scored a goal which also never happened, well I never!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭golfball37

Came up earlier in the thread that it never actually happened or if it did there is no record of it.

Alongside the winning the FA Cup and Never scored a goal which also never happened, well I never!

The horse Good Friday fell in the King George on Boxing/SS day it was established.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

golfball37 wrote: »
    The horse Good Friday fell in the King George on Boxing/SS day it was established.

Well, some places say that.....others say it fell at Wolverhampton on "Boxing" Day: https://www.wackyraces.net/in-which-year-did-good-friday-fall-on-boxing-day/

Seems the only thing all agree on is that it's a good quiz question, whether or not there's any actual truth to it....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Well, some places say that.....others say it fell at Wolverhampton on "Boxing" Day: https://www.wackyraces.net/in-which-year-did-good-friday-fall-on-boxing-day/

Seems the only thing all agree on is that it's a good quiz question, whether or not there's any actual truth to it....!

I can confirm. I was at Wolverhampton that day. With my old friend John Never. Good footballer but crap tipster. He told me to back Mayday in the aforementioned race.

In what year were two counties from the same province successively declared All Ireland football champions without a final ever being played?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

In what year were two counties from the same province successively declared All Ireland football champions without a final ever being played?

Year being 1919, kildare win the 19 AI, wexford the 18.

Longest river in Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Who was the odd man out at Tom Slattery's funeral?
    Was it
    A. Billy Murphy
    B. John Slattery
    C. Frank Murphy

Year being 1919, kildare win the 19 AI, wexford the 18.

Longest river in Europe?

Not the one I was thinking of! This was a case of two teams being the champions for one season and there was no final.

The Volga?

A good question all right. I don't know the answer, but....

Sometime back around the 1920s, both Kerry and Cavan were disqualified after each won their provincial championships, and some sort of substitute competition was arranged instead. Am I on the right track at all?

Here's another gaelic football one from the mists of time:

What was unusual about the manner of Louth's All-Ireland senior football title of 1910?

Kilkenny were declared winners of the 1911 hurling championship with no all Ireland final

Here's another gaelic football one from the mists of time:

What was unusual about the manner of Louth's All-Ireland senior football title of 1910?

I think that was the year Kerry refused to travel because of the price of the train ticket? Not making that up either. It certainly happened one year anyway

golfball37 wrote: »
    I think that was the year Kerry refused to travel because of the price of the train ticket? Not making that up either. It certainly happened one year anyway

Spot on. Louth were awarded a walkover after Kerry refused to travel to Dublin because the railway company wouldn't sell cheaper tickets to their supporters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You see a bear but you can only move south.

What colour is the bear ?

A good question all right. I don't know the answer, but....

Sometime back around the 1920s, both Kerry and Cavan were disqualified after each won their provincial championships, and some sort of substitute competition was arranged instead. Am I on the right track at all?

Yes. 1925. Mayo and then Galway were All Ireland champions, but without having played in a final. Looking further into this, I see there was a sort of final after, but it didn't change the result.
    The Connacht final had not been held by the time the semi-finals were played; Mayo were nominated to represent the province. In the semi-finals, Mayo beat Wexford and Kerry beat Cavan. However, both Kerry and Cavan were disqualified for fielding illegal players. This meant that Mayo were declared champions without the need for a final. Following this, however, Galway defeated Mayo in the Connacht final. Galway were therefore proclaimed All-Ireland champions.[4]

Following protests from Galway, Kerry and Mayo, the GAA Central Council organised a substitute competition between the four provincial champions, with Galway as Connacht champions. However, Kerry complained that their semi-final victory over Cavan should stand in this new competition. When the GAA insisted that it should not stand, Kerry withdrew, leaving Cavan to automatically proceed to the final. Galway defeated Cavan in the final of that tournament, which was played on 10 January 1926.[4]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You see a bear but you can only move south.

What colour is the bear ?
    White

Advertisement