Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible controversial opinion regarding e-bikes.

Options
13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭Jerrykay6

WALOB(....ox)
    While you are at it why not advocate talking off the saddle as well and leave the stem, that will certainly solve the dangerous driver piece.

You're talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CivilCybil wrote: »
    I'm considering an e-bike. I used one on holiday and loved it.
    I work about 5km from home. Currently working from home. I wouldn't cycle a normal bike as I'm pretty unfit and I know I'd be far less likely to cycle if I wasn't enjoying it. Similarly I probably will only cycle on days when I feel like it.

Yeah I'm lazy and obese. (Although I'm working on it). But fact is, an e-bike will get me on a bike at least some of the time. Versus not getting on a bike at all.
    As my fitness and confidence improves I can rely less on the E part of the bike.

I'm all for them. Think they're great and in terms of exercise something is better than nothing imo.

This. I use an ebike (knee & hip issues) to get in and out of work. Magic little yolk, folders up so I can keep it in the office. When I started I would have used the assist all the time, but as I build up stamina I have days where I don't use it at all in the right conditions. I tried a regular bike but could only do a couple of days a week. Anything that gets people out of cars (or buses to a lesser extent) should be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Monday's update: Another complete berk blows into cycling forum with massive chip on shoulder about "cyclists".

Not a WW headline either :pac:

Reminds me a bit of TimAllen who long time users of the cycling forum will remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Jerrykay6 wrote: »
    How do I have a chip on my shoulder? I'm not the one out starting races with people while I'm on a feckin motorised vehicle.

The racing might be largely in your head...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_lady_doth_protest_too_much,_methinks

Most people simply cycle at the pace they are comfortable at. On an eBike thats just a bit faster than normal.

beauf wrote: »
    The racing might be largely in your head...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_lady_doth_protest_too_much,_methinks

Most people simply cycle at the pace they are comfortable at. On an eBike thats just a bit faster than normal.
    That's all well and good but not when someone feels the need to sprint past you at every traffic light then block your lane 5 minutes up the road because they can't hold that pace.

• Advertisement

That's all well and good but not when someone feels the need to sprint past you at every traffic light then block your lane 5 minutes up the road because they can't hold that pace.

The only time I've had that problem is the city center where people break the lights, then block the lane afterwards. Very common on the canal. If you take the lane you can overtake, or keep them behind you at the lights.

Its got nothing to do with eBikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

5 minutes up the road in cycling terms is quite a distance. For example if you are doing 25km/hour then 5 minutes is 2km. If it is taking you 2km to catch them from the lights then I don't think they are slowing you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

You dont happen to cycle the Merrion/Rock Road do you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not everyone can afford 2 bikes. You're talking 1500 for an e bike and probably 3k (or more) for a decent road bike.

LOL, plenty of races from A1 to A4 won on bikes that barely cost 1500. And if someone can't afford two bikes, then they should only buy one, whether it is an ebike or not is irrelevant, so long as they are happy.

I have done alright in races and been overtaken by high nellys on my commute and dropped people in 5k bikes as well. Some ebikes i can drop easily, other times it's nice to get the draft.

I really am unclear what your issue with ebikes is, your opening post just reads like nonsense, much like many of the follow up posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

In summary, OP spent three grand on a carbon bike and some inconsiderate individual powered by electricity passes him at the lights. Boo hoo.

Its one of those things in city cycling, you get out of pattern with another cyclist. So you either get far enough ahead or drop back and create some space get back into your cadence.

I say that as slow cyclist. Matters not one jot to me how long the commute takes. But I do like sticking to the pace I find most comfortable.

A website is not a source of "good information" lol. Are these studies from reputable journals?

A website is not a source of "good information" lol. Are these studies from reputable journals?

Did you try reading the articles or were you distracted by another commuter race?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is there a reputable journal that doesn't have their content on a website?

LOL.

The National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health by providing access to biomedical and genomic information.

International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (IJBNPA), an open access, peer-reviewed journal with a very respectable impact factor of 5.548. That means a lot of people cite articles in IJBNPA in later studies. It’s a credible source with typically high-quality content. The lead author, Jessica Bourne, and the other authors are all associated with the University of Bristol in the UK, specifically its Centre for Exercise, Nutrition and Health Sciences, School of Policy Studies and the NIHR Bristol Biomedical Research Centre.

I think he may be hard of reading.

Maybe a electric road bike is whats really needed to solve his problems with eBikes.

LOL.

The National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health by providing access to biomedical and genomic information.

International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (IJBNPA), an open access, peer-reviewed journal with a very respectable impact factor of 5.548. That means a lot of people cite articles in IJBNPA in later studies. It’s a credible source with typically high-quality content. The lead author, Jessica Bourne, and the other authors are all associated with the University of Bristol in the UK, specifically its Centre for Exercise, Nutrition and Health Sciences, School of Policy Studies and the NIHR Bristol Biomedical Research Centre.

Funny in all my years of reading sport science literature I've never come across them.

Funny in all my years of reading sport science literature I've never come across them.

You'd wouldn't have this time either only it was pointed out to you.

You'd wouldn't have this time either only it was pointed out to you.

Well I am in work at the minute I don't have time to be reading articles on ebikes (something I have 0 interest in).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

says the man who started a thread on e-bikes?

So what sports science journals do you generally follow?

Well I am in work at the minute I don't have time to be reading articles on ebikes (something I have 0 interest in).

Says the man who asked "Are these studies from reputable journals".

Some amount of clowns here, probably been cycling a wet week and think they know it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Some amount of clowns here, probably been cycling a wet week and think they know it all.

some lads are cycling for years and know nothing.

Did you catch your trousers in the chain when the bad man on the eBike passed you?

Homer+tiny+bicycle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Whats to know - if you don't want an e bike, then good for you. If someone else prefers one, then why is it your concern?

Ive used both - e bikes were great for picking up shopping and days where I had a lot to carry. Also great for days I didn't feel well or had tired legs. They help people get into cycling. Everyone has to start somewhere. Knowing you wont be a hot mess when you arrive at work, and knowing you will be able to make it the whole way and back is important for people starting out. The last thing they need is to be judged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think I got my first bike 50 years ago. Until today I didn't know there was any knowledge required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm closing this thread, it's quite clear it was started in bad faith.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement