Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible controversial opinion regarding e-bikes.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

was similar for me before lockdown. 20km each way, and shower facilities available. no point in hanging around in that instance, putting the foot down and showering would be noticeably quicker than going at a pace which negated the need for a shower.

My wife is considering commuting with me if she gets an e-bike. I'm not sure how I feel about that personally tbh, but it's encouraging for the general population! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    A lot of commuters think its a race to get to work and how to over take as many people as possible on the way. I cycle to work at a leisurely pace all year....
    Strange comment from someone who started another thread about a slow rider on group spins. Many like to commute at a faster rate as they're usually solo and can dictate the pace - something that's not always possible on a group ride. Commuting also allows training opportunities for those who time is restricted due to other commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Very slight diversion here. Anyone aware of any e-road bikes available for perusal in Ireland? The e-bikes I see out and about seem to be universally hybrid or Dutch style. I think there are road versions, just not sure if shops in the country have got onboard yet.

I recall a kickstarter initiative at the outset of this year from a California based outfit looking to bring out a range of singlespeed and road frames in a variety of suitably sunny colours. Bit wary of these initiatives since SpeedX though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Very slight diversion here. Anyone aware of any e-road bikes available for perusal in Ireland? The e-bikes I see out and about seem to be universally hybrid or Dutch style. I think there are road versions, just not sure if shops in the country have got onboard yet.

I recall a kickstarter initiative at the outset of this year from a California based outfit looking to bring out a range of singlespeed and road frames in a variety of suitably sunny colours. Bit wary of these initiatives since SpeedX though.

A mate of mine bought one from Harry’s in Clonskeagh. I don’t know if they have any on display now though seeing most shops are short of bikes.

Jerrykay6 wrote: »
    My opinion is in relation to what I deem to be a push toward e-bikes as a more environmentally friendly commuting option.

Before I state my opinion I would like to highlight that I do think ebikes are fantastic option under certain circumstances (older adults who can no longer ride as much as they used to on a push bikes, people with certain physical limitations etc which make push bikes unfeasible and I'm sure there are many other excellent uses of e bikes).

For any healthy adult though why not push for regular bikes. Most people who would consider cycling to work don't commute massive distances and a large majority of the population could use all the extra activity they can get (I know e bikes require some effort but still less than a regular bike). The electricity needed to charge ebikes is still generated via fossil fuels, so while they are not directly spewing out emissions they are indirectly contributing. Finally, e bikes don't solve any of the more genuine issues with commuting such as poor weather, dangerous driver etc.

Just saw you were owned by an e-bike on the commute and didn't like it :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭Jerrykay6

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Just saw you were owned by an e-bike on the commute and didn't like it :D

Owned by an e bike?

For one I breezed past him the minute i put in a bit of effort.

Even if I did (which I didn't) that would be similar to saying i got owned by a car while I was out cycling today, ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Strange comment from someone who started another thread about a slow rider on group spins. Many like to commute at a faster rate as they're usually solo and can dictate the pace - something that's not always possible on a group ride. Commuting also allows training opportunities for those who time is restricted due to other commitments.

one can cycle to work and not want to sweat and also want to cycle for exercise on the weekend fast. not strange at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm remote now, but I was starting to look at ebike options, pre-covid. I'm too far, and under too much time pressure family wise to do a full commute from home. Uphill, into a prevailing head wind the whole way home. When I was cycle commuting, I was parking up and cycling in. I reckon an ebike would eliminate that. My only question would be how to integrate it with training, but the limit would probably take care of that (and probably power meter pedals).

Anyway, I'm hoping remote working will be a large part of my working life now going forward, so probably a bit moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    one can cycle to work and not want to sweat and also want to cycle for exercise on the weekend fast. not strange at all
    You've missed my point.

You may wish to cycle to work slowly, but why not accept that others may wish to go more quickly. Those riders may wish to take their time at weekends.

Judging by your attitude in this thread and your other one, you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

KevRossi wrote: »
    I got an E-Bike for work. I was living in the north city centre and working 14 km away in Sandyford, so a nice steep climb at the end.

I'll say Hi next time I see you - I do the exact opposite commute - Sandyford to Parnell Street!:), on an ebike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

For any healthy adult though why not push for regular bikes.

It's better that someone is on a bicycle than not on a bicycle.
    We can worry about the type of bicycle when everyone is on them. :D

Judging by your attitude in this thread and your other one, you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder

How do I have a chip on my shoulder? I'm not the one out starting races with people while I'm on a feckin motorised vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

This is like when I drove motorcycles. The harely drivers vs everyone else on bikes. A sub group within a sub group.
    I don't want cages on the road so if some person wants an ebike and they are 20 stone, let them.
    A guy I know has 2 bikes. An ebike for commuting tallaght to blach that at our age would be a struggle in the winter. Then he has a standard racer for fitness. Both work for him doing different things.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    This is like when I drove motorcycles. The harely drivers vs everyone else on bikes. A sub group within a sub group.
    I don't want cages on the road so if some person wants an ebike and they are 20 stone, let them.
    A guy I know has 2 bikes. An ebike for commuting tallaght to blach that at our age would be a struggle in the winter. Then he has a standard racer for fitness. Both work for him doing different things.

Not everyone can afford 2 bikes. You're talking 1500 for an e bike and probably 3k (or more) for a decent road bike.

How do I have a chip on my shoulder? I'm not the one out starting races with people while I'm on a feckin motorised vehicle.

It was only a race in your head, which you took insult to as he passed you out, like I said, a serious chip

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Not everyone can afford 2 bikes. You're talking 1500 for an e bike and probably 3k (or more) for a decent road bike.

I've had decent road bikes for 80 quid. Just fixed them up and they flew along. Not all road bikes are 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I've cycled my commute as much as I could for the last 15 years. From anywhere as far as 4km to 40 km each way.

My current commute is 36km round trip (pre-covid) and I can easily make it under my own power. I did however just get an ebike because it will make my life easier. No need to shower on hot days and I can carry more weight if I want to pick up shopping.

I use about 400watt in total maximum and that's with finishing uphill at either side. Today Ireland is generating 70% of it's power from wind, yes it might be less on some days but in the future as we go greener it could be more.

There was probably a bigger carbon footprint from the cereal I had this morning.

As a whole the more the population that can swap to e bikes/scooters/cargo instead of fossil the better for the country. It won't work for everyone but it will work for some and it should be aimed for.

It was only a race in your head, which you took insult to as he passed you out, like I said, a serious chip

I've probably been cycling longer than you've been alive. Theres no chip on my shoulder however, i'm more than happy to put someone in their place when they want to challenge me.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I've had decent road bikes for 80 quid. Just fixed them up and they flew along. Not all road bikes are 3k.

You can get a road bike for feck all but you wouldn't get a decent carbon one for much less than 3k. Even at that they'll probably come with micky mouse brand tyres and wheels which would require an update.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Funny how I got a top end Guerciotti carbon frame with Sram Red for a little over a grand. Do yourself a favour and stop talking absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You can get a road bike for feck all but you wouldn't get a decent carbon one for much less than 3k. Even at that they'll probably come with micky mouse brand tyres and wheels which would require an update.

Who cares about carbon bikes?

Out of the total bicycling population of the country, how many have carbon bikes? How many have bikes worth over €500?

Sweet FA.

It's like trying to convert people to E-cars and selling them on a Porche Taycan:confused::rolleyes:

Also people who spend 3 grand on high end road bikes, can generally afford more than 1 bike.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Funny how I got a top end Guerciotti carbon frame with Sram Red for a little over a grand. Do yourself a favour and stop talking absolute nonsense.

Wouldn't rate them myself to be honest but if you find it good then that's all that matters!

Wouldn't rate them myself to be honest but if you find it good then that's all that matters!

Sure they've only been making frames inhouse for 60 years but I'll bow to your superior knowledge given you've tried and tested it at Giros, Milan-Sam Remos, Tours of Switzerland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

meanwhile over on cycling adverts..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058171675

Seaswimmer wrote: »

Second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Second hand?

you never specified new. Mind you, this one looks good as new..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

My opinion is in relation to what I deem to be a push toward e-bikes as a more environmentally friendly commuting option.

Before I state my opinion I would like to highlight that I do think ebikes are fantastic option under certain circumstances (older adults who can no longer ride as much as they used to on a push bikes, people with certain physical limitations etc which make push bikes unfeasible and I'm sure there are many other excellent uses of e bikes).

For any healthy adult though why not push for regular bikes. Most people who would consider cycling to work don't commute massive distances and a large majority of the population could use all the extra activity they can get (I know e bikes require some effort but still less than a regular bike). The electricity needed to charge ebikes is still generated via fossil fuels, so while they are not directly spewing out emissions they are indirectly contributing. Finally, e bikes don't solve any of the more genuine issues with commuting such as poor weather, dangerous driver etc.
    WALOB(....ox)
    While you are at it why not advocate talking off the saddle as well and leave the stem, that will certainly solve the dangerous driver piece.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Monday's update: Another complete berk blows into cycling forum with massive chip on shoulder about "cyclists".

Not a WW headline either :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement