Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The uncle thats done fairly well for himself over in the states told me the amount of money i borrow isnt the issue if its €10,000 or €100,000 but no matter what the amount is if youre not going to be able to sleep at night over it forget about it.

It's like bereavement, you're young, you think you're tough until the sh.. hits the fan.
    We all know people that couldn't handle it and topped themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

"More smart people have gone broke from borrowing, than any other activity. A smart person can't go broke unless they borrow. If you're smart, you don't need to borrow. if you're dumb, you have no business borrowing in the first place." - Warren Buffett

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I'll have to disagree with you, the formation of loans and borrowing is what controls you, if you don't owe money you can have a relatively carefree existence,.
    However most of us will borrow to buy land, house etc. A lot of the problem is not being happy with what was left to you, 30 or 40 acres in a will can turn into 80 acres or 140 acres and a big loan and a tractor needed to farm it, what our parents survived on wouldn't do us as our generation wanted more and bigger machinery.
    I'm just commenting on the farming aspect of it but its across the board in every part of culture, the hippy in a mobile has often a happier life than the lad killing himself with 150 milkers and big loans or the the lad above on a roof with a 40 grand jeep, keep the banks away from your door and life simple and things often look better, in my experience anyway
    Ok but thats the point. No loans then you are in control and as you say expanding to earn more money just leads to loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

"More smart people have gone broke from borrowing, than any other activity. A smart person can't go broke unless they borrow. If you're smart, you don't need to borrow. if you're dumb, you have no business borrowing in the first place." - Warren Buffett

Very easy to say that when your job is to play with other peoples money, very hard to build anything worthwhile in a reasonable timeframe without debt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Very easy to say that when your job is to play with other peoples money, very hard to build anything worthwhile in a reasonable timeframe without debt

You can see his point though. If what you are doing is intrinsically profitable, then it should allow sufficient cash flow to grow organically. Too many borrow with their fingers crossed and pride themselves on taking risks. These are usually the companies that go broke.
    His track record with playing with other peoples ain't bad at all.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

wrangler wrote: »
    You don't want to have an anxious disposition or prone to depression to be borrowing money.
    If any thing goes wrong the banks and the loan will make it a hundred times worse

Theres plenty never had a bother until times got tough, no one knows how mentally strong or weak they are until things go against them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Homelessness, or at least the visible version of it , is almost always the result of addiction or anti-social behaviour or mental health issues, and that's a very different problem to solve than just providing more housing.

True, no amount of bricks and mortar alone will solve those cases, but the big problem we have now is that those cases are very much in the minority. Its families living in hotel rooms that are the issue now rather than rough sleepers. The last figure I heard for homeless was c. 10,000 people. Now that was pre-Covid times so we don't hear about it anymore but I'd be surprised if there was over 200 of those in the rough sleepers category

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

With the new digital currencies in development by the majority of central banks, we might see an awful lot more distortion of markets and values into the future. It would effectively allow the potential for not all money to be equal. Certain areas of the economy or government spending could be favoured over others, the money in your account could be given an expiration date or a probably endless amount of other potential manipulations...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Easy to say when you a born into money during the biggest economic boom in recent history in fairness. very unrealistic advice in the modern economy though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Easy to say when you a born into money during the biggest economic boom in recent history in fairness. very unrealistic advice in the modern economy though

Not really and I don't mean to sound smarmy at all.

Built a business since the last crash. No borrowings at all. After the last crash it was the one thing that I wanted to do, so step by step minding every decision along the way.

Personal debt from the crash, I paid off over time and I am glad I did. It meant lots of the things I wanted to do I couldn't. Today, however, no debt apart from a small mortgage, no business debt and all assets are owned and not rented (i.e. premises)

Was it difficult? Absolutely. Could I have achieved it earlier with debt? Absolutely. BUT.... now I know I own what I have and no worries sleeping like I had for many, many years before the crash.

With the last year the way it has been, I see SO many competitors have gone by the wayside, fancy offices which were rented and we are still plodding along with still no debt.

If at all possible, build it with no debt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

NSAman wrote: »
    Not really and I don't mean to sound smarmy at all.

Built a business since the last crash. No borrowings at all. After the last crash it was the one thing that I wanted to do, so step by step minding every decision along the way.

Personal debt from the crash, I paid off over time and I am glad I did. It meant lots of the things I wanted to do I couldn't. Today, however, no debt apart from a small mortgage, no business debt and all assets are owned and not rented (i.e. premises)

Was it difficult? Absolutely. Could I have achieved it earlier with debt? Absolutely. BUT.... now I know I own what I have and no worries sleeping like I had for many, many years before the crash.

With the last year the way it has been, I see SO many competitors have gone by the wayside, fancy offices which were rented and we are still plodding along with still no debt.

If at all possible, build it with no debt.

Great advice there. With H iron prices approaching €10 per foot a few first thinning spruce trees are looking very tempting for a shed.

I know they won't last forever, but at least the replacement trees will be growing in the meantime.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

blue5000 wrote: »
    Great advice there. With H iron prices approaching €10 per foot a few first thinning spruce trees are looking very tempting for a shed.

I know they won't last forever, but at least the replacement trees will be growing in the meantime.

Was half thinking the same myself - have some larch trees that feel and are lying in the yard...
    Plan was to make posts of em, but when they are fine line straight trees, you’d wonder if you should do something like a shed with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭893bet

How long would an untreated larch stake last really?

893bet wrote: »

we took up some out of a swamp couple years ago,that were put down during/pre WW2.....the barbed wire was long rotted

Doubt.you'll get em last as long anymore though!

I don’t know 893, put some in last year so we’ll see... :)

They were free as they were going on our own place, and you’d hope should at least last as long as the cheaper posts you’d buy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Suckler

Was half thinking the same myself - have some larch trees that feel and are lying in the yard...
    Plan was to make posts of em, but when they are fine line straight trees, you’d wonder if you should do something like a shed with them :)

We have a shed roof done in straight trees, the ends were exposed for a long time but no real signs of rot in any of them. one needs replaced because of flashing coming off but still not gone far enough to threaten to collapse. They've been up since the 70's.

I know posts in the ground would have more exposure but a decent whack of any sort of treatment and protecting the joint if they are set in concrete will have them standing 20 years easy at a guess. One idea I saw was to put up block piers say 60-90cm's, have a plate made to fix to the block (or concrete) and the wood. Keeps it up out of the ground and easier to keep an eye for any rot.

Suckler wrote: »
    We have a shed roof done in straight trees, the ends were exposed for a long time but no real signs of rot in any of them. one needs replaced because of flashing coming off but still not gone far enough to threaten to collapse. They've been up since the 70's.

I know posts in the ground would have more exposure but a decent whack of any sort of treatment and protecting the joint if they are set in concrete will have them standing 20 years easy at a guess. One idea I saw was to put up block piers say 60-90cm's, have a plate made to fix to the block (or concrete) and the wood. Keeps it up out of the ground and easier to keep an eye for any rot.

I have a few old telephone poles lying around as well, so was half thinking I could use them as the uprights.

But, won’t be done this year anyways...

Next year... always next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

There was a poster a few years back who put up a cow cubicle house, it looked like something from bavaria

The genuine european larch will last as long as oak, but anything planted since the 50's is likely to be Japanese larch or a hybrid between the 2. We bought some when a local coilte wood was being cleared, 10 years is all the untreated strainers are lasting.

Have some other genuine european larch in a bog from a tree that was knocked in the 1970's and they're still good. That timber lay on the ground for 30 years before I made stakes out of it. I split it along the trunk instead of sawing it, supposed to be a better way of doing it to help it last longer.

So if you have european larch it will see you out, Japanese larch is crap and should never have been let into this country.

The genuine european larch will last as long as oak, but anything planted since the 50's is likely to be Japanese larch or a hybrid between the 2. We bought some when a local coilte wood was being cleared, 10 years is all the untreated strainers are lasting.

Have some other genuine european larch in a bog from a tree that was knocked in the 1970's and they're still good. That timber lay on the ground for 30 years before I made stakes out of it. I split it along the trunk instead of sawing it, supposed to be a better way of doing it to help it last longer.

So if you have european larch it will see you out, Japanese larch is crap and should never have been let into this country.

Ours is European - but, the posts are sawn.

Tell me how did you split the tree lengthways?

Edit : I don’t know if it’s so old as planted in the 50s, I would have said 60s or maybe early 70s...
    But was always told it was European larch, as the wood was specifically planted for stakes...
    Now that’s planning :)

• Advertisement

Ours is European - but, the posts are sawn.

Tell me how did you split the tree lengthways?

Edit : I don’t know if it’s so old as planted in the 50s, I would have said 60s or maybe early 70s...
    But was always told it was European larch, as the wood was specifically planted for stakes...
    Now that’s planning :)

Cut it first into 6 ft lengths, then used wedges and a sledge. Stakes ended up sort of triangular shaped. Got some sawn before and there was a cross grain in some of it and the stakes just split themselves. It's like as if the tree was going around in circles as it grew.

This lad is doing oak, you only need 2 metal wedges, wooden off cuts from pointing a strainer will do as intermediate wedges too once you get it opened up. Takes a bit of time, but the big advantage is you are following the natural grain of the timber instead of cutting through it. This gives you a stronger stake, but it does look as rough as a bear's ar5e.

Will try get you a few pics of the stakes in the bog later on.

Cut it first into 6 ft lengths, then used wedges and a sledge. Stakes ended up sort of triangular shaped. Got some sawn before and there was a cross grain in some of it and the stakes just split themselves. It's like as if the tree was going around in circles as it grew.

This lad is doing oak, you only need 2 metal wedges, wooden off cuts from pointing a strainer will do as intermediate wedges too once you get it opened up. Takes a bit of time, but the big advantage is you are following the natural grain of the timber instead of cutting through it. This gives you a stronger stake, but it does look as rough as a bear's ar5e.

Will try get you a few pics of the stakes in the bog later on.

Where would a lad get a set of those wedges Blue?

I cut them at the minute, so they end up halved or quartered...

Maybe a car boot sale. Head of a hatchet would do, but wear safety glasses as chips can fly off the head when you hammer them.

Top two pics are larch stakes made this way about 15 years ago. They're in a cutaway bog so would have water lapping around them the odd winter.
    550484.jpg

550485.jpg

550486.jpg

Bottom photo was a broken sawn larch stake with a cross grain at 45 deg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Where would a lad get a set of those wedges Blue?

I cut them at the minute, so they end up halved or quartered...

https://irishforestryproducts.ie/?s=Wedge&post_type=product

Was replacing a few posts there earlier, on a fence that was put up maybe late 80s/early 90s
    Found a larch post - would have been the top of a tree, with bark on, probably 5 inches or so in width...

Looks shook, but was still sound - drove it again anyways. It’ll last another few years... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Rang a few ads on done deal for a farmers track machine and everyone of them reckon second hand machines are like hens teeth and asking very strong money!! Does anyone know of good websites in the UK that sell plant machinery?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Was replacing a few posts there earlier, on a fence that was put up maybe late 80s/early 90s
    Found a larch post - would have been the top of a tree, with bark on, probably 5 inches or so in width...

Looks shook, but was still sound - drove it again anyways. It’ll last another few years... :)

We've larch post and rail that was put up in the sixties and fencing posts from the seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Have a home made Oak stake here, split in the 1940s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Haven't done it myself.

But has anyone Shou sugi ban 'ed their stake bottoms?

• Advertisement

Haven't done it myself.

But has anyone Shou sugi ban 'ed their stake bottoms?

That’s burning them isn’t it?

Thought about it before all right to the larch stakes I did last year, but didn’t...

Be interesting to see if anyone had all right...

Advertisement