Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Politicians are caught in a very tricky place regarding finances. If a government in the morning spent very frugally they would be voted out the next time as Mary, pat and joe would be angry at lack of spending. Majority don’t care about the national debt once their needs as met.
    Look at how ff bought elections down through the years with tax cut and spending increases.
    If half the waste was stopped alone it would be a good start.
    Other thing is is that nearly every nation on the planet is deeply in debt. Ireland is 25th in the list of most in debt countries, and when you look at the countries around the same, Ireland seems to have a better standard of living.
    New Zealand has actually very low debt.
    Take America-the powerhouse in the world. Their debt is colossal.
    What I can’t understand is who is lending all the money? Is it countries lending to each other trying to make money on interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Its amazing how countries get themselves in to more and more debt, yet the politicians who make these decisions retire on pensions worth millions, passing the buck on to the next generation to pay off.

Like wise the civil servants, the government has to have them in on this willfull waste. there was a good program about the waste in the Office of Public works last week and it was bordering on fraud. there's billion being ''mislaid ' every day.
    That's the reason contractors can do what they're doing in the National Childrens Hospital. The government are only passing through, they'll never have to be responsible for the cockups........ all they have to do is apologise for previous government and pay out any compensation applicable from our tax money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Politicians are caught in a very tricky place regarding finances. If a government in the morning spent very frugally they would be voted out the next time as Mary, pat and joe would be angry at lack of spending. Majority don’t care about the national debt once their needs as met.
    Look at how ff bought elections down through the years with tax cut and spending increases.
    If half the waste was stopped alone it would be a good start.
    Other thing is is that nearly every nation on the planet is deeply in debt. Ireland is 25th in the list of most in debt countries, and when you look at the countries around the same, Ireland seems to have a better standard of living.
    New Zealand has actually very low debt.
    Take America-the powerhouse in the world. Their debt is colossal.
    What I can’t understand is who is lending all the money? Is it countries lending to each other trying to make money on interest?

We are the third most indebted country worldwide only behind America and Japan on a per capita basis, the america fed is simply just printing money at the minute their is nothing backing it only market sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

jaymla627 wrote: »
    We are the third most indebted country worldwide only behind America and Japan on a per capita basis, the america fed is simply just printing money at the minute their is nothing backing it only market sentiment

I don’t believe that is correct but I’m only going on my own google search. We aren’t in the top 20 even

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Back in the recession economist colm Mccarthy was brought in to a new quango, an bord snip nua.
    The one and only quango worth having.
    It should have being continued and its findings implemented every year.
    Democracy is flawed ina sense because politicians are constantly looking over there shoulders.
    Therefore its pretty much impossible to do the right thing.
    Then you have devious ****ers like bertie ahern who bought 3 elections with our taxes through social partnership.
    Were still paying for that to this day.
    It stinks to high heaven.

• Advertisement

richie123 wrote: »
    Back in the recession economist colm Mccarthy was brought in to a new quango, an bord snip nua.
    The one and only quango worth having.
    It should have being continued and its findings implemented every year.
    Democracy is flawed ina sense because politicians are constantly looking over there shoulders.
    Therefore its pretty much impossible to do the right thing.
    Then you have devious ****ers like bertie ahern who bought 3 elections with our taxes through social partnership.
    Were still paying for that to this day.
    It stinks to high heaven.

You'd love this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Great tread guys and some interesting stuff, not an educated lad but I watch alot of documentarys,I love history, love WW2 stuff and what went on. Not so long ago as well, mad stuff what did happen and could happen again. It amazing me how everything was put back together in a short space of time, like Europe was in ruins must have been a massive building boom back than, out of that war came great technologys and engineering and they reckon out of this covid will come advancement in medicine that the world will ever see. We will be taking a tablet shortly with our cornflakes that will tell us what's going on in our bodies and if they is anything wrong with you they will be another tablet to fix, simple as that. Interesting stuff, like plugging the car into the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ye should listen to Futureproof. This weekend the programme was about medicine and medical advancements and what the future holds. We're very close to being able to have personal medical care instead of the one size fits all approach we have today. Ya'll probably get it on Newstalk as a podcast. Always an interesting show.

Back on topic and the huge price rises and debt mountain. It was only Friday evening that the 1980 episode of Reeling in the Years was on. And the first clip is Haughey giving his address about us "living way beyond our means". 40 years ago now and we're still doing it. Debts have gone up but we're still chugging away. I wouldn't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Just came back from the DIY store here... if any further proof was require of inflation...

Sub-Flooring boards, pre-Covid $14.99-$15.99 .. today... $52.57

All timber has gone through the roof price wise. Needed An 8ft 4x4 usually $9 or so, today $22.35

Needless to say, DIY on hold with those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

NSAman wrote: »
    Just came back from the DIY store here... if any further proof was require of inflation...

Sub-Flooring boards, pre-Covid $14.99-$15.99 .. today... $52.57

All timber has gone through the roof price wise. Needed An 8ft 4x4 usually $9 or so, today $22.35

Needless to say, DIY on hold with those prices.

Same here in Ireland, all steel gone up by 30 percent since xmas and most building supplies gone up as well not to mention the price of fert and machinery, it's a bad sign when you see the price of horses and machinery rocket in the space of a few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Chadwicks are mad busy buying out hardware stores in the Limerick Clare area. That's not good.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Talking to a man today that says blocks are gone up a good percent as well. Anyone going to build a house in the next while would need to re-do the sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I wonder will gold prices keep dropping, then shoot up when recession hits. Might be worth investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Gold is always the go to when a recession is looming, been meaning to start investing for years, might try a bit soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Chadwicks are mad busy buying out hardware stores in the Limerick Clare area. That's not good.

Where have they bought I know they have market hardware with a few years patsy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

lab man wrote: »
    Where have they bought I know they have market hardware with a few years patsy

They bought Heiton Buckleys in Limerick. Just heard today that the other place they supposedly bought , was only a rumour. Maybe an April's Folo joke. Ooops. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

A mate that’s a carpenter was saying that the material for a roof was around 10k 6months and is now 14k. He was planning on building a house but materials gone mental on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It's gone back to the good ould days again when lads are pricing work, Think of a number and add a couple of noughts on to it. Greed and gluttony, Thinted windows Range rovers,ccocaine and hoores and horses are all back God help us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

kerryjack wrote: »
    It's gone back to the good ould days again when lads are pricing work, Think of a number and add a couple of noughts on to it. Greed and gluttony, Thinted windows Range rovers,ccocaine and hoores and horses are all back God help us all.

Jaysus Nothing wrong with Range Rovers...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

NSAman wrote: »
    Jaysus Nothing wrong with Range Rovers...;)

Have you a Range Rover, I wouldn't mind treating myself to one,
    Huge depreciation from new but not bad value at 7 or 8 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭anheneti

They bought Heiton Buckleys in Limerick. Just heard today that the other place they supposedly bought , was only a rumour. Maybe an April's Folo joke. Ooops. :rolleyes:

They both belong to the Grafton group and have been the same company for nearly 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The local Heaton buckley was rebranded to Chadwicks about 16 months ago, i heard they bought out the heaton group.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

kerryjack wrote: »

You needn't go as far as the lad pricing the work, the cost of tractors and machinery is gone mental as well, lads buying livestock for silly money, lads in dealer boots and the gelled hair with the navy sleeveless jackets starting to call around again looking to buy machinery, I'm in the market for a jcb 2cx or farm special and they've gone through the roof with the last 12 months, I'll leave it a while until they become better value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

You needn't go as far as the lad pricing the work, the cost of tractors and machinery is gone mental as well, lads buying livestock for silly money, lads in dealer boots and the gelled hair with the navy sleeveless jackets starting to call around again looking to buy machinery, I'm in the market for a jcb 2cx or farm special and they've gone through the roof with the last 12 months, I'll leave it a while until they become better value

Was tempted about buying a tedder, approx 9.5k, maybe 100ac/yr, decided against it. Would only do two 10ft swards, new plan is to get another haybob. Have the tractors and the manpower, I'd be fairly sour looking at a machine that would only be used 6/7days every year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

timple23 wrote: »
    Was tempted about buying a tedder, approx 9.5k, maybe 100ac/yr, decided against it. Would only do two 10ft swards, new plan is to get another haybob. Have the tractors and the manpower, I'd be fairly sour looking at a machine that would only be used 6/7days every year..[/Quote

Would you consider a good second hand one @ circa €3.5k ? There's little enough to go wrong with them as long as they are not abused. As you say only used 6 or 7 days in the year but silage making is one of the biggest costs on any farm so important to get as good as possible...... On my radar to get a 4 rotor one next year.....

I'd be fairly sour looking at a machine that would only be used 6/7days every year..
    I should never have bought that lidl chainsaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Was tempted about buying a tedder, approx 9.5k, maybe 100ac/yr, decided against it. Would only do two 10ft swards, new plan is to get another haybob. Have the tractors and the manpower, I'd be fairly sour looking at a machine that would only be used 6/7days every year..

That's the reason you will find out the hay bobs after getting a bit dearer too.

The biggest deja vu moment for me has been the "we back brave" and "begin" advertisements by the major banks.

Like compulsive gamblers that understand they can slip in to the overdraft of state bail outs to fund their gambling the major banks are at it again.

The biggest deja vu moment for me has been the "we back brave" and "begin" advertisements by the major banks.

Like compulsive gamblers that understand they can slip in to the overdraft of state bail outs to fund their gambling the major banks are at it again.

Credit unions are giving out unsecured loans to farmers upto 50K over 7 years.....you dont even need to be a member

Utter maddness,thankfully my local one isnt doing this scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

try getting a loan from BOI. Would be quicker going in and robbing the place

Advertisement