Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus: Come out ye Black & Tans edition, The Reveal Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Green&Red wrote: »
    HOW have you never heard of this??

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thousands Are Sailing is a great choice bubbly.

It was my second option, absolutely cracking song.

It is a great song, and I'm 2nd in my first ever walrus
    Yeah me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

21st Place

Spook_IE with Lush Classical - Such a Good Feeling

Nope. Nope. Nope. Hated that song before I heard this version and the Orchestra does nothing to improve it. Its six minutes long and that generic 90's beat leaves me colder than romantic Ireland in its grave with O'Leary. I do like an orchestral mix now and then (S&M 1 and 2 spring to mind) but not this. Not like this.

Sorry Spook :(

SO IN FIRST PLACE

Homer J Fong with Fenian C*unts - Kneecap

Absolutely brilliant. Love it all, the mix of languages, the lyrics. the vibe of the song. It's a smooth, smart, sexy and sleazy masterpiece. I urge ye to look up the lyrics, its worth the search. Dodgy one to be singing around the house but it's been stuck in my head. Like the British in the 6 counties, it just wont leave.

Congratulations Homer!

fixXxer wrote: »
    3rd Place

The Purple Tin with Ted Mc Cormack - Plastic Jesus

This is such a fun song. Pub sing along at its finest. Wry humour, feel good atmosphere. Love it, smiling to this from start to finish and I'll bet anyone who was there remembers it the same way. I don't get to many pubs any more but this takes me back to 100 different times over the years where there was a proper sing song after a few jars, not some **** pulling out a guitar and murdering Wonderwall.

I have never heard this!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

21st Place

Spook_IE with Lush Classical - Such a Good Feeling

Nope. Nope. Nope. Hated that song before I heard this version and the Orchestra does nothing to improve it. Its six minutes long and that generic 90's beat leaves me colder than romantic Ireland in its grave with O'Leary. I do like an orchestral mix now and then (S&M 1 and 2 spring to mind) but not this. Not like this.

Sorry Spook :(

SO IN FIRST PLACE

Absolutely brilliant. Love it all, the mix of languages, the lyrics. the vibe of the song. It's a smooth, smart, sexy and sleazy masterpiece. I urge ye to look up the lyrics, its worth the search. Dodgy one to be singing around the house but it's been stuck in my head. Like the British in the 6 counties, it just wont leave.

Congratulations Homer!

Congrats Homer but yer man has no taste ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Congrats Homer!

Cheers for running it fixXxer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Enjoyed that one, cheers for running fixXxer :D

Well done Homer!

If y'all want some more Walrus in yizzer lives step right up to the Easter Walrus:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058170027

Enjoyed that Fix, thanks for running.

And thanks for making me 2nd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What gives?

I entered this - with a song likely to finish last - but where is it?

Well done Homer BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Arghus wrote: »
    What gives?

Well done Homer BTW.

I entered your walrus four months ago and haven't seen my songs either ;)

• Advertisement

Fully expected to be last in this so 15th will do nicely. mmm breakfast rolls

SO IN FIRST PLACE

Fecking hell, didn't expect that! That's made my night. :D I guess this counts as my first proper Walrus win; I've won categories before but never managed to win a full game...until now. :cool:

Glad you enjoyed it fixXxer, I spent some of my Paddy's Day listening to Kneecap's catalogue (with cans). Hip-hop isn't usually my thing but these lads have some great tunes, and some of their lyrics are fantastic. I was tossing up between Fenian C*nts and Get Your Brits Out. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Completely missed this, will have to catch up properly tomorrow
    20th Place

Electric Nitwit with The Corrs - Toss The Feathers

I find it hard to completely hate The Corrs. They bring back memories of a bar in the middle of nowhere in Thailand when they put on one of their albums on non-stop when they found out we were Irish. Great memories, just a shame about the music :pac: Ah its nice, bit bland. I feel like I'm in O'Carroll's picking a hoody. Now I've properly read your story to go along with it I feel like a **** for saying that. The memories though, we don't get to pick their soundtrack.

Ah well...

I did say I'd entered a naff band, but this song I genuinely think is great. All the rest of their songs? Shïte :p

Just so everyone knows how shït you're being to me... :D

So, I have a weird relationship with Irishness. My dad's Irish, but I'm born and bred London. I support Ireland, do not in any way think of myself of English, but I'm not really Irish (despite now living here, having an Irish passport etc). Truth is, I'm a mongrel and I don't fit 100% anywhere....

...however, growing up, there was one place that I and similar friends felt right at home. London Irish Rugby Club. We started going because we thought that's what we were, London Irish (and we were too scared to join the local hurling club!) And we were welcomed in istantly, while I still lived there I loved it - we were nearly always crap but the crowd was great and I always felt at home there. So in many ways that's where I feel most Irish

And when I used to go, the team's walk-on music was this...

I don't care how naff the Coors are (or how mental Jim now is), that's a great song and it always takes me back to the one place I felt I fitted in as a mongrel, so it's Irish to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Good on ya Homer and nice spooning Spook.
    Thanks for that bit of greenery there Fix.

Excira & Delira to lift the bronze :)

Completely missed this, will have to catch up properly tomorrow

Ah well...

I did say I'd entered a naff band, but this song I genuinely think is great. All the rest of their songs? Shïte :p

Just so everyone knows how shït you're being to me... :D

So, I have a weird relationship with Irishness. My dad's Irish, but I'm born and bred London. I support Ireland, do not in any way think of myself of English, but I'm not really Irish (despite now living here, having an Irish passport etc). Truth is, I'm a mongrel and I don't fit 100% anywhere....

...however, growing up, there was one place that I and similar friends felt right at home. London Irish Rugby Club. We started going because we thought that's what we were, London Irish (and we were too scared to join the local hurling club!) And we were welcomed in istantly, while I still lived there I loved it - we were nearly always crap but the crowd was great and I always felt at home there. So in many ways that's where I feel most Irish

And when I used to go, the team's walk-on music was this...

I don't care how naff the Coors are (or how mental Jim now is), that's a great song and it always takes me back to the one place I felt I fitted in as a mongrel, so it's Irish to me :)

FWIW, even before your X-Factor style sob-story (joking, its a great story for why you chose that song), I enjoy that tune and would've easily been Top 3 for me, from all the songs in the group.

The Corrs have some nice tunes but sadly "separate the art from the artist" is just too much of an ask when the artist is as much of a ******* ******* **** as Jim Corr.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

FWIW, even before your X-Factor style sob-story (joking, its a great story for why you chose that song), I enjoy that tune and would've easily been Top 3 for me, from all the songs in the group.
    Bloody fixXxer, no taste and a heart of stone :mad:
    The Corrs have some nice tunes but sadly "separate the art from the artist" is just too much of an ask when the artist is as much of a ******* ******* **** as Jim Corr.
    That is a very fair point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Arghus wrote: »
    What gives?

Well done Homer BTW.

Same as you cant see my choice either?
    Congrats Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Well here is the one I sent.. Oíche mhaith agus coladh sámh..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Sorry I missed this, a great selection of interesting things I'd forgotten or did not know :D

I also fear my time in 'the house' will be coming back to haunt me for a long time yet!

Now I'm off to listen to the seagulls ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ari101 wrote: »
    Sorry I missed this, a great selection of interesting things I'd forgotten or did not know :D

I also fear my time in 'the house' will be coming back to haunt me for a long time yet!

Now I'm off to listen to the seagulls ;)

which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Option 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm happy with 5th

How is Smokie with Alice, Irish connected?

Luke Kelly biopic would be awesome, don't know who could play him, is Danny Day Lewis still retired, can Ed Sheeran act :p

Ah gotta love this song but I don't get the Irish connection...am I missing something?

Me too :confused::o

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm happy with 5th

How is Smokie with Alice, Irish connected?
    Who the fuck is Alice! Ever been to a pub before? :p

ShaneU wrote: »

Exaclty, I was well into my 20s before I realised it wasn't an Irish Drinking Song, it was so iconic from the pubs.

Wouldn't be mad about the actual version, but belting this out after a few pints with everyone in a pub is iconically Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Wouldn't be mad about the actual version, but belting this out after a few pints with everyone in a pub is iconically Irish.
    OK...sort of get it now.
    That song has the same effect the world over which was why I didn't get it in this context, IYSWIM.

ShaneU wrote: »

Yes I know it's played and "sang" in every Irish bar here and all around the world, even heard a dirty version ages ago on holidays in the Canaries but I guess given the Walrus title I wasn't sure it would feature and count, guess it is taken as honorary Irish :P:D;)

I have a bit of time now, so I'm gonna get started on this. Making tea then starting about 19:25

A great walrus fixXxer

• Advertisement
Advertisement