Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus: Come out ye Black & Tans edition, The Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

fixXxer wrote: »
    Eh, 24 I think but 19 thanks to Joxter

Plenty of room for me to come last then. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

6th Place

Irish Aris The Wind That Shakes The Barley - Dead Can Dance

I'm an sucker for these vocal only style mournful Irish songs. Put head phones on, close your eyes and just drift away on the deep sea of sadness, regret and extinguished hopes. Love it.

15th Place

ShaneU with Pat Short - Jumbo Breakfast Roll

You can tell we are a famine nation when food like this is central to our existence. Starving just listening to it to be honest. Fond memories of watching the D'Unbelievables as a kid and not being able to understand them while my Wexford cousins were in bits laughing. It's a grand song but it doesn't stand out much in this lot. There's a limited time I can listen to a comedy song. Not Great Not terrible.

5th Place

JP Liz V1 with Song For Ireland - The Dubliners

Beautiful song. I could listen to this forever. We had a lot of Dubliners growing up, and Luke Kelly's voice always sends chills down the spine and gets me feeling emotional. You can hear the love in his voice for the fabric of his country. Its about as far from maidens at the cross roads as you can get.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Great, now I want a breakfast roll :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

In 8th place is

Necro

Baggly

cee_jay

and by the absolute skin of his old man dentures, MicksJaguar

all going for

Christy Moore - Joxer Goes to Stuttgart

You guys all have great taste in music!

16th Place

Ari101 with The Cranberries - Dreams

Dreamy bass on this, and that distinctive voice. All pluses, but eh. Not one of my favourite Cranberry songs, its catchy and fun but would be down the list of Cranberrys songs for me. It doesn't really move anything inside me. I get to 1.40 in the song and all I hear is seagull. Sorry Ari, should have been nicer in the BB house :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

You love seagulls Fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I went a bit left field and veered away from the obvious "Oirish" classics, so wouldn't be surprised to get last tonight...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I went a bit left field and veered away from the obvious classics, so wouldn't be surprised to get last tonight...

I thought Joxer wouldn't be obvious, and the football fans would go for Put Em Under Pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I went a bit left field and veered away from the obvious "Oirish" classics, so wouldn't be surprised to get last tonight...

This type of left field? :D:D

Necro wrote: »
    This type of left field? :D:D

Not that far left... :D

4th Place

Also Starring Levar Burton with The Scratch - Seanchaí

Pump up music at its best. Low vocals are smooth and the slow build as we go along is addictive. Finally it explodes a bit. Man that loud bit is fun, but kinda fizzled at the end. Shame because I loved like, 98% of this song. I've never heard of these guys before soI'll have to look them up.

Baggly wrote: »
    You love seagulls Fix.

Not in the middle of my 90's indie rock classics I dont.

I'm gonna close off the bottom few before doing the top three. My double reverse ordering style is starting to confuse me because I think I counted wrong.

Ah yes the classic, obligatory I fear for the Wooden Spoon post, followed immediately by securing 4th Place... Happy Days! :pac:

Glad you enjoyed it fixXxer, they're a class band.

17th Place

Green & Red with The Golden Horde - Friends In Time

Appreciate the satire going on here. When you're lampooning a genre though the risk is that you sound like every other song in that genre and thus become unremarkable. The video is very clever but there's nothing happening here without it.

You went left field, I went right ðŸ˜

18th Place

Rikand with Guaglione - Pérez Prado y Su Orquesta
    (The Guinness ad to you and me)

This ad always bothered me. All that fuss and they didn't let him drink the pint at the end, not even a sip! I couldn't be endorsing such cruelty. Its a clever ad but I've seen/heard it about 600000000000 times at this stage, so was a little bit bored with it.

19th Place

Reberetta - Tommy Castro - High off the Hog

I had to listen to this song twice cos I kinda forgot about it while I was listening to it. I'd love to know why this song was picked, but listening to it I don't get it. Nice guitar widdling in the last third but, yeah its just kind of generic like the rest of the song. Makes me think of Eddie Rockets bacon & cheese fries. Lads, don't do Walrususus on an empty stomach.

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    You went left field, I went right ðŸ˜

How ya doing there Spook?

20th Place

Electric Nitwit with The Corrs - Toss The Feathers

I find it hard to completely hate The Corrs. They bring back memories of a bar in the middle of nowhere in Thailand when they put on one of their albums on non-stop when they found out we were Irish. Great memories, just a shame about the music :pac: Ah its nice, bit bland. I feel like I'm in O'Carroll's picking a hoody. Now I've properly read your story to go along with it I feel like a **** for saying that. The memories though, we don't get to pick their soundtrack.

How ya doing there Spook?

Tell you in a few minutes 🙂

3rd Place

The Purple Tin with Ted Mc Cormack - Plastic Jesus

This is such a fun song. Pub sing along at its finest. Wry humour, feel good atmosphere. Love it, smiling to this from start to finish and I'll bet anyone who was there remembers it the same way. I don't get to many pubs any more but this takes me back to 100 different times over the years where there was a proper sing song after a few jars, not some **** pulling out a guitar and murdering Wonderwall.

Getting nervy now

2nd Place

Bubblypop with Thousands are Sailing - The Pogues

Thank **** it wasn't fairy tale in New York. I hate that song and was dreading it popping up somewhere. I like this take on emigration, it has an edge of sadness, but mostly is an upbeat hopeful feel about it. We don't forget our roots but we're headed somewhere new now and anything is possible. There's an ethereal defiant feel to that chorus running through it. Absolutely class song.

Thousands Are Sailing is a great choice bubbly.

It was my second option, absolutely cracking song.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In 8th place is

Necro

Baggly

cee_jay

and by the absolute skin of his old man dentures, MicksJaguar

all going for

Christy Moore - Joxer Goes to Stuttgart

Believe it or not, I'd never heard this before, but the opening bars took me back straight away. Euro 88 on the edge of my memory, but it sums up that Charlton era where it felt the Irish team could do anything. The audience is great, nothing gets a cheer out of Irish people like getting one up on England. Short fun and doesn't outstay its welcome.

HOW have you never heard of this??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

3rd Place

The Purple Tin with Ted Mc Cormack - Plastic Jesus

This is such a fun song. Pub sing along at its finest. Wry humour, feel good atmosphere. Love it, smiling to this from start to finish and I'll bet anyone who was there remembers it the same way. I don't get to many pubs any more but this takes me back to 100 different times over the years where there was a proper sing song after a few jars, not some **** pulling out a guitar and murdering Wonderwall.

Great song, Steve McQueen sings it in Cool Hand Luke

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    HOW have you never heard of this??

It's fixXxer, it's not shouty and screamy enough :D

Advertisement