Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus: Come out ye Black & Tans edition, The Reveal Thread

Options
  • 20-03-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

Right I'm putting this up no so I don't forget later.

Reveal Thread! Hopefully everyone survived the 2nd Paddy's Day that wasn't. If anyone didn't then let this be a fitting memorial to our fallen soldiers. Speaking of fallen soldiers, we had a couple of rebel songs submitted here, who would have thunk it.

quinngoal91.gif

Now we can find out what Irishness means to ye musically speaking.

Do you like horses?

Does our native tongue stir your soul?

Do you celebrate heroic failure??

Or maybe a more international view on the whole thing?

Lets find out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Not a big soccer fan but for what it’s worth, I was behind that goal when Quinny scored in Wembley. I can still see him beating Shilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,069 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Put us all under Pressure fixXxer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

There is a Werewolf game on at the moment so might do this at 9 if thatsuits people?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

fixXxer wrote:
    There is a Werewolf game on at the moment so might do this at 9 if thatsuits people?

Whenever suits you fixxxer!

Necro wrote: »

You're only saying that because you don't believe it will be done in time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ditto :)

I have a bit of time now, so I'm gonna get started on this. Making tea then starting about 19:25

So to kick things off in 9th place we have:

Hello2DPersonBelow

There's a raw honesty about busking that appeals to me here, along with singing this amongst his own people, you can feel the crowd being really in to it. The main issue I have is that I prefer the Wolfe Tones with the Banjos. Started higher than it is now, but fell down a few spots after listening to other entries. Wouldn't mind hearing a pub/indie version of this by the same fella and seeing how it sounds.

in 10th Place

Olivia2 with Dirty Old Town by The Pogues

I'd have been more used to hearing Luke Kelly singing this than Shane. I would have to say I prefer this version of the song. Luke sounds like he's singing a song, while Shane sounds like he's telling his own life story. Powerful emotive song that suffers a little from over familiarity.

In 11th Place we have y0ssar1an22 (That is a horrible name to type out, buddy) with Dirty Old Town by Luke Kelly & The Dubliners

The feelings from above are still true but when there's two versions to choose from, its the Pogues one that edges it for me. Not much in it mind you.

• Advertisement

Also, ffs for the next entry :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

fixXxer wrote: »
    Also, ffs for the next entry :pac:

You're welcome ;)

OMoaKK.gif

If only it was that simple :cool:

In 8th place is

Necro

Baggly

cee_jay

and by the absolute skin of his old man dentures, MicksJaguar

all going for

Christy Moore - Joxer Goes to Stuttgart

Believe it or not, I'd never heard this before, but the opening bars took me back straight away. Euro 88 on the edge of my memory, but it sums up that Charlton era where it felt the Irish team could do anything. The audience is great, nothing gets a cheer out of Irish people like getting one up on England. Short fun and doesn't outstay its welcome.

LOL

Great minds think alike :P

Isn't there a second part to that saying? ;)

In 7th Place
    Trigger with The Wolfe Tones - Celtic Symphony

Is the best football song ever? No thats Put em Under Pressure (which no one entered, despite there being FOUR JOXTERS, do you guys even Ireland?) but this is a superb song. How can one not enjoy the fluttering violin and the iconic Oh Ah Up the RA say Oh Ah Up the RA. Its magic, its magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Hope you don't mind but I'm spectating :) (and listening)

In 12th place

Mustang Shelly with Smokie - Alice (Who the **** is Alice)

Know this song well, heard it many times in our house. The tune sure has that drunken sing along vibe. I keep drifting away from the rest of the song though, not unlike Alice herself, and coming back to sing that chorus. Its grand, but probably has a bigger reputation than it deserves.

Hope you don't mind but I'm spectating :) (and listening)

Feel free to furiously disagree with everything I say about songs you love, that is the beating heart of WALRUS.

• Advertisement

In 8th place is

Necro

Baggly

cee_jay

all going for

Believe it or not, I'd never heard this before, but the opening bars took me back straight away. Euro 88 on the edge of my memory, but it sums up that Charlton era where it felt the Irish team could do anything. The audience is great, nothing gets a cheer out of Irish people like getting one up on England. Short fun and doesn't outstay its welcome.

I'd completely forgotten this classic even though I've seen Christy Moore live many times and he always plays this and it always goes down a storm. Thanks for the memories!

in 13th Place

Sawduck with You'll Never Beat The Irish by The Wolfe Tones

Call me contrarian, but I've never really warmed to this song, no idea why. Feels much longer than it is, for me doesn't have the oomph of other rebel songs. The almost tropical beat at the start is quite jarring when it switches to a more traditional tune. For songs as history lessons (Hard fought category that), Monto would be my choice instead of this.

I had Murder plunder faugh a balla clear the way
    cheating stealing diddle idle de
    ducking diving faugh a bala clear the way
    diddlily i dle do di diddly idle de
    stuck in my head all day though, which is a tricky few lines to sing to yourself absentmindedly while going about your business.

In 12th place

Mustang Shelly with Smokie - Alice (Who the **** is Alice)

Know this song well, heard it many times in our house. The tune sure has that drunken sing along vibe. I keep drifting away from the rest of the song though, not unlike Alice herself, and coming back to sing that chorus. Its grand, but probably has a bigger reputation than it deserves.

Ah gotta love this song but I don't get the Irish connection...am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In 8th place is

Necro

Baggly

cee_jay

all going for

I nearly selected that too :pac:

Trigger wrote: »

It's cos it's awesome. I liked your pick too mind, can't beat a bit of Celtic Symphony

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

How many entries were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It's cos it's awesome. I liked your pick too mind, can't beat a bit of Celtic Symphony

Yeah I'm a big Christy fan, one of my favourite memories is being in a bar in Sweden belting Joxer out with the Bohs players after a European game

14th Place

Kitten K The Script - Paint The Town Green

Have to admire someone who just sends a link, no explanation, no nothing. Go do your job fixXxer. Could see RTE doing a Best of with this over it for the Rugy or Soccer team. Nice upbeat, sing along number. It has a good handle on the Paddys Day parade vibe which is what it's going for. I just didn't like it that much compared to other songs on the list, its a bit generic .

Trigger wrote: »

If it got selected again I was going to rand someone to keep it and the rest to go again :D

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    How many entries were there?

Eh, 24 I think but 19 thanks to Joxter

Advertisement