Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by a car while in the cycle lane.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Grange road is a prime example of a cycle lane I'd never use. Especially not during covid when the peds are at double volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

motorists are not allowed drive or park *in* mandatory cycle lanes, but they can cross them for access.

That's not 100 percent accurate in the real world though. There are junctions in Dublin where there is a right hand turn lane. The road isn't wide enough for 2 lane and a cycle lane. Motorist can & do drive in the cycle lane. They also stop in the cycle lane for red lights. A classic example is the Kilbarrack road. Traffic lights just past Dennis Mahanoy heading towards the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

stevencn88 wrote: »
    Yes he was.

And you had been using the separate cycle lane on the left up to that point (see here), so he hadn't passed you out on his traffic lane before then? If so, you were right up to that point, but I would still always be checking for indicators if coming to a junction. However, if he didn't have them on and his mirror was in then the blame would be with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

whippet wrote: »
    The OP can not say if the indicators were on or not and can’t say if the mirror was bent back before or after he hit the car .... he is assuming this.

All we know for certain is that the driver was turning left at a junction and the cyclist hit in while under taking ... and that the cyclist said the wing mirror was out of position after the accident.

I can say for certain I didn't hit his wing mirror. I hit the front of his car. Or he hit me with the front of his car, however you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

@Gaoth

The first one you mention is one i used once, i found it had a fair number of sections on it littered with broken glass, the cycle lanes are terrible at every roundabout, far safer to use the suspended bus lane, especially when coming to the roundabouts. There is also the problem that a fair amount of drivers don't know that the cycle lanes are not mandatory and feel obliged to continuously beep the horn and shout out the window for absolute no reason other than the cyclist has the audacity to be on the road .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

And you had been using the separate cycle lane on the left up to that point (see here), so he hadn't passed you out on his traffic lane before then? If so, you were right up to that point, but I would still always be checking for indicators if coming to a junction. However, if he didn't have them on and his mirror was in then the blame would be with him.

Yes I'd been riding in the cycle lane the whole time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mrcheez wrote:
    Of course he's at fault

The Gardai didn't jump to that conclusion.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and the truth (something between the first two). Gardai heard both sides

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The Gardai didn't jump to that conclusion.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and the truth (something between the first two). Gardai heard both sides

Garda admitted they didn't know the rules pertaining to the cycle lane ! So they were hardly in position to adjudicate !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Looking at the picture the landrover would have had to briefly enter the yellow box to turn left.
    Unless the ROTR have changed my understanding is that you may not enter a yellow box unless your exit is clear (unless turning right)
    The landrover was turning left and his exit wasn’t clear as you were in it therefore he broke the ROTR.

Also- if he was so careless to drive around with his wing mirror folded no doubt he didn’t bother to indicate.
    He probably folded it in to stop it being knocked off by pedestrians when he parked his enormous jeep on a footpath outside a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Looking at the picture the landrover would have had to briefly enter the yellow box to turn left.
    Unless the ROTR have changed my understanding is that you may not enter a yellow box unless your exit is clear (unless turning right)
    The landrover was turning left and his exit wasn’t clear as you were in it therefore he broke the ROTR.

Also- if he was so careless to drive around with his wing mirror folded no doubt he didn’t bother to indicate.
    He probably folded it in to stop it being knocked off by pedestrians when he parked his enormous jeep on a footpath outside a school.

Have you any other generalisations to make?

The OP said that he was an auld man so why would he be parking outside schools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

I know its a grey area in law but,,,

Vulnerable road user, Bike lane, no wing mirror, starting turn behind the cyclist => All point to driver liability

Of course the latter two may disappear without evidence

secman wrote: »
    The first one you mention is one i used once, i found it had a fair number of sections on it littered with broken glass, the cycle lanes are terrible at every roundabout, far safer to use the suspended bus lane, especially when coming to the roundabouts. There is also the problem that a fair amount of drivers don't know that the cycle lanes are not mandatory and feel obliged to continuously beep the horn and shout out the window for absolute no reason other than the cyclist has the audacity to be on the road .

That confirms the attitude of most cyclists I pass every day. Complaining when there are no cycle lanes, complaining about the ones that there are (these three are perfectly clean nowadays) and then using the lame excuse that they are not mandatory and drivers should just sit the feck back and crawl behind them.

Drivers have no choice but to use the road. Cyclists do have a choice, but out of what seems pure pig-headedness treat the road as their own playground and then complain when they have an interaction with said drivers (not including the OP in this). Why do you think most don't use the third one on the New Nangor Road? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dubrov wrote: »
    I know its a grey area in law but,,,

Vulnerable road user, Bike lane, no wing mirror, starting turn behind the cyclist => All point to driver liability

Of course the latter two may disappear without evidence

It's not really grey, it's a dashed line so basically the same as a double yellow line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

stevencn88 wrote: »
    Honestly couldn't say either way.

So you cycled into his blindspot ? You knew he was turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

whippet wrote: »
    Have you any other generalisations to make?

The OP said that he was an auld man so why would he be parking outside schools?

Wasn’t going to say- but since you pushed it ,Definitely perving on kids, only bought a jeep as he can get a better view and can’t be seen fapping off inside it.
    In fact I’d say he was on the footpath to get an even great vantage point.
    Anything else you need to know about him? Medical records maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

ED E wrote: »
    It's not really grey, it's a dashed line so basically the same as a double yellow line.

There are loads of threads covering similar. Last time I looked there was no legislation defining a bike land as a lane.

The consensus seemed to be that drivers have a duty of care to check the road is free before turning and cyclists have a duty of care to be aware of traffic potentially turning left ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Hope the driver was told to F off, as one day the cyclist might not be able to say it to them

That confirms the attitude of most cyclists I pass every day. Complaining when there are no cycle lanes, complaining about the ones that there are (these three are perfectly clean nowadays) and then using the lame excuse that they are not mandatory and drivers should just sit the feck back and crawl behind them.

Drivers have no choice but to use the road. Cyclists do have a choice, but out of what seems pure pig-headedness treat the road as their own playground and then complain when they have an interaction with said drivers (not including the OP in this). Why do you think most don't use the third one on the New Nangor Road? Genuine question.

I have never complained about not having cycling lanes, don't use them generally as see no need to use them, am comfortable using the road as i drive about 25,000 km per annum. On roads with numerous roundabouts its a no brainer to use the road especially if proceeding straight through. I think i have a fair experience as i also cycle close to 10,000km per annum.
    But numpties blowing horn and shouting at me serves no purpose on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Voguementol

Im familiar with that road and have cycled it. I am both a cyclist and a driver. I think that the driver should have obviously checked his wing mirror before turning left and if he had seen you he would not have turned left. He was careless/negligent in my opinion. As a driver id never turn left there without indicating and looking in my wing mirror. Im surprised the guards took that stance. I think you are in the right but as a cyclist i would always cycle carefully along there or similar junctions cos ive had a older driver do something similar, (in a different place) turn left suddenly and cut me off. Thats a busy junction/car park. Don't presume that drivers will look out for cyclists there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Wailin wrote: »
    Seriously though, who drives around with a folded wing mirror?

You see it quite a bit actually. I've spotted one neighbour who does it frequently. I presume she clips it on her gate leaving the house and doesn't bother stopping to fix it.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    I have never complained about not having cycling lanes, don't use them generally as see no need to use them, am comfortable using the road as i drive about 25,000 km per annum. On roads with numerous roundabouts its a no brainer to use the road especially if proceeding straight through. I think i have a fair experience as i also cycle close to 10,000km per annum.
    But numpties blowing horn and shouting at me serves no purpose on the road.

Jesus, that's an even worse attitude than I thought. I'd hate to see your attitude behind the wheel of your car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you seem to manage a decent conversation with most cyclists you pass. i'm surprised you actually get the time to drive anywhere.
    however, please treat this as a friendly reminder that as per the charter, the cycling forum is not a place for people to come and have a vent about cyclists. you can discuss the topic at hand, but if you just want to have a pop at cyclists, this is not the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, if you ask me, we don't know several details of what happened, so i'm not going to take a punt on assigning responsibility blame either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jesus, that's an even worse attitude than I thought. I'd hate to see your attitude behind the wheel of your car.
    Choosing not to use cycle tracks is no different than a motorist choosing not to use motorways.

you seem to manage a decent conversation with most cyclists you pass. i'm surprised you actually get the time to drive anywhere.
    however, please treat this as a friendly reminder that as per the charter, the cycling forum is not a place for people to come and have a vent about cyclists. you can discuss the topic at hand, but if you just want to have a pop at cyclists, this is not the place.

The topic at hand is linked to the interaction between cyclists and motorists. I have had many conversations with cyclists (not while driving) and again tonight it another confirmation of the general attitude. You can't discuss a single incident such as the OP without some reference to the other party. Plenty of others have discussed whether his indicator was on or not, the wing mirror, etc. If you don't want discussion on your Cycling forum then the roads are not going to get any safer for cyclists, but it works both ways. It would seem that the OP was doing everything right up to the point where he reached the car. From there on he wasn't sure if the indicators were on or not, which would indicate lack of due care and attention on his side. However, there seems to be responsibility on the driver's side too, maybe more. Who knows?

Luckily it turned out not too serious in this case (at the OP's admission), but the attitude that I see with the majority of cyclists every day is something that needs to change, because if not, it will lead to more serious accidents. So no, it's not a vent at cyclists but a heads-up that attitudes need to change or there will be threads on more serious accidents started on this forum.

I don't cycle to work, but since the construction of that third new cycle lane at New Nangor Road I have actually considered buying a bike and starting to cycle. If I do I will most certainly use the lanes that there are as I see absolutely no sane reason not to. Nobody on here as been able to provide one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Why do you think most don't use the third one on the New Nangor Road? Genuine question.

I wouldn't use that lane. I wouldn't use this one either...

https://goo.gl/maps/X3dhkk7twGHYWKRL8

folks, can we get away from the discussion about cyclists choosing not to, or choosing to use cycle lanes as that has the potential to derail the thread; and as Gaoth Laidir has been instructed to stay on topic, i have to ask everyone else to do so also.

The topic at hand is linked to the interaction between cyclists and motorists. I have had many conversations with cyclists (not while driving) and again tonight it another confirmation of the general attitude.
    don't post in this thread again. if you have any comment to make, you can PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

martyc5674 wrote: »
    .... you may not enter a yellow box unless your exit is clear (unless turning right)....
    Not entirely correct.

You may not stop in a yellow box (unless you intend to turn right and your exit on that right is clear). That is, if traffic is backed up on your right turn, you may not enter the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Amount of cyclists that have no idea is shocking.

The Dublin bikes opened the flood gates to thickness.

If a vehicle is indicating ahead of you you must yield.

On a side note, been so vulnerable on a bike there is a good saying, no point in been right and dead either.... If you can stay safe do so whether in the right or wrong.
    This is in no way a dig by the way it's more self preservation.

Advertisement