Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by a car while in the cycle lane.

Options
  • 18-03-2021 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

So while out enjoying the lovely Paddys Day weather I was hit by a car. Both traveling in the same direction when the car turned left and hit me (I was in the the cycle lane). The Gards arrived and were unsure if the motorist was at fault as they didn't know the rules of the road around cycle lanes. My understanding is a cycle lane must be kept clear, and can only be temporarily occupied by other road users when not occupied by a cyclest. Has anyone had a similar situation or experience?

The bike is a little scratched but nothing I'd be worried about. Got checked out by a Doc this morning. Right shoulder isn't great and I've an odd tingleing in my hand and elbow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭wench

Did he catch up to you and turn across you, or did you go up the inside of him as he maneuvered?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

wench wrote: »
    Did he catch up to you and turn across you, or did you go up the inside of him as he maneuvered?

I came up on the left while he was stopped waiting for cars to clear from the entrance to the carpark he was trying to turn into, I was nearly clear of him when he started his maneuver. Should have mentioned above that after the accident I noticed his wing mirror on the passenger side was closed in. So there was no way he was ever going to see me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Was he indicating to turn left as you came up on his inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Wailin wrote: »

Good question because if he was(I'm not sure of the law here!?)well you should not have proceeded... So DODGY

Honestly couldn't say either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

stevencn88 wrote: »
    I came up on the left while he was stopped waiting for cars to clear from the entrance to the carpark he was trying to turn into, I was nearly clear of him when he started his maneuver. Should have mentioned above that after the accident I noticed his wing mirror on the passenger side was closed in. So there was no way he was ever going to see me

Did you know he was turning left?

Did he have his indicator on signalling that he was turning left?

A cyclist can overtake a vehicle on the left (or inside of the flow of traffic) if the vehicles to the right are stationary or moving more slowly than the cyclist.

However as a cyclist you cannot overtake on the inside if the vehicle you intend to overtake:

Is signalling an intention to turn to the left and will move to the left before you overtake it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

when undertaking a car you do so at your own risk - you seemed to know that he was turning in to the carpark and yet chose to continue on as if the driver was going to spot you and give way to you.

Honestly couldn't say either way.

this is the answer to the question then - if you don't know you were not cycling with due car and attention

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If the car was indicating that it was turning left, then you should have passed the car on the right or stopped and given way.

BUT using your indicator does not give a motorist right of way. Their is still an onus on a driver to ensure it is safe before moving.

Was the bike lane clearly marked with a solid white line or was it a broken white line?

To give an idea as to the junction (I hope the link works)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/oyoNLbE6m5qwGNw89

Driver was stopped outside of the yellow box when I started to pass him.

• Advertisement

Broken white line, car more than likely indicating to turn left. Lack of awareness from both parties imo so 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know why you'd turn left without checking for cyclists first though, if his wing mirror was down this was his fault imo

I don't know why you'd turn left without checking for cyclists first though, if his wing mirror was down this was his fault imo

OP probably wasn't wearing Hi viz! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

The same could be said for the cyclist tho, can't say if indicator was on or not, both at fault, all the driver has to say is their indicator was on and it becomes a cyclist undertaking illegally

The same could be said for the cyclist tho, can't say if indicator was on or not, both at fault, all the driver has to say is their indicator was on and it becomes a cyclist undertaking illegally

So would the fact he was stopped and behind the yellow box (in the above Google map link) when I started to pass him make any odds?? Was it an illigal undertaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,717 ✭✭✭✭zell12

On a wee tangent,
    Imagine instead of a cycle lane, it was a bus lane.
    A double decker is travelling along, car in regular lane indicates left, takes a left and bus hits car.
    Who would be responsible, why is it different than a pedal cycle? or is it the broken/solid white line differential?

zell12 wrote: »
    On a wee tangent,
    A double decker is travelling along, car in regular lane indicates left, takes a left and bus hits car.
    Who would be responsible, why is it different than a pedal cycle? or is it the broken/solid white line differential?

Well, for one thing, a bus wouldn't plough through a junction without stopping.

zell12 wrote: »
    On a wee tangent,

My understanding was that a motorist can enter a cycle lane with a broken white line as long as it is clear/safe to do so and a continuous white line they can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

whippet wrote: »
    this is the answer to the question then - if you don't know you were not cycling with due car and attention

Ah that’s hardly fair- I can’t remember every detail about my drives or cycles- doesn’t mean I wasn’t giving due attention at the time. You get clipped by a car you go into shock a little, your not necessarily going to remember every detail.

OP if this goes to court or you give a statement- choose your words carefully, the above response will give you an idea of how your views can be dismissed/twisted very easily.(that’s not a dig at whippet)

According to the original poster. Seriously though, who drives around with a folded wing mirror?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah but one person is in a machine that can kill, onus should be on them to check before turning.

martyc5674 wrote: »

OP if this goes to court or you give a statement- choose your words carefully, the above response will give you an idea of how your views can be dismissed/twisted very easily.(that’s not a dig at whippet)

Compo culture at it's finest. You sound like an expert.

According to the original poster. Seriously though, who drives around with a folded wing mirror?

A very old man who hit me with his car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Compo culture at it's finest. You sound like an expert.

Expert I ain’t in that field!!

A very old man who hit me with his car!

How did you notice this ore accident and not note the indicator .. or maybe you bumped the wing mirror when you hit the car and it folded in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭secman

"The Gards arrived and were unsure if the motorist was at fault as they didn't know the rules of the road around cycle lanes"
    This wasn't very encouraging from a cyclists perspective !

My understanding was that a motorist can enter a cycle lane with a broken white line as long as it is clear/safe to do so and a continuous white line they can't?

I don't think the law is that "black & white". Car can't cross a solid white line. A broken white line ....yes, "as long as it's safe to do so". But the same applies to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I cycle to work once a week and I'm a motorist too so I'm on both sides of the fence here.....hinges on whether the indicator was on or not as to where the fault lies in my opinion.

However, I'm a bit confused as to how there's a left turn into somewhere that goes through the bike lane. Any junctions I've seen the bike lane ceases to exist for a while.

Grey area really and without all the facts hard to determine who is right and who is wrong here.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Ah that’s hardly fair- I can’t remember every detail about my drives or cycles- doesn’t mean I wasn’t giving due attention at the time. You get clipped by a car you go into shock a little, your not necessarily going to remember every detail.

Can't see myself going the route of a claim. Honestly just trying to figure out who's at fault so I can learn from it myself. But I appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

motorists are not allowed drive or park *in* mandatory cycle lanes, but they can cross them for access.

Advertisement