Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by a car while in the cycle lane.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

whippet wrote: »
    .. or maybe you bumped the wing mirror when you hit the car and it folded in ?

Unless he was cycling backwards, hitting a mirror when passing doesn't make them fold inwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

OP are you ok, did you sustain bad injury due to this occurrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

How did you notice this ore accident and not note the indicator .. or maybe you bumped the wing mirror when you hit the car and it folded in ?

It'd be quite a trick to fold the car mirror in while undertaking a car, more likely to bash it forwards

It's a 50/50 blame IMO, driver of the car is responsible for his mirrors being correctly positioned and for using them properly. Cyclist needs to take more care when undertaking vehicles and pay attention to whether they're indicating to turn left

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

How did you notice this ore accident and not note the indicator .. or maybe you bumped the wing mirror when you hit the car and it folded in ?

Noticed the wing mirror after the accident happened and we'd pulled into the car park. I pointed it out to the driver who pulled it back into place. He hit me with the front/side of his car so I can't see how I'd have hit his mirror (land rovers have a very large bonnet)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hurrache wrote: »
    Unless he was cycling backwards, hitting a mirror when passing doesn't make them fold inwards.

That would also explain why he didn't see the indicator as well :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    OP are you ok, did you sustain bad injury due to this occurrence?

Wouldn't say bad injury. Somewhat stiff today, enough to warrant a visit to the docs to get checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Did the driver offer to pay for your doctor bill or bike repairs?

If yes then I would assume you were square.

He didn't have his wing mirror out and performed a left turn without observing any traffic to left.

Motorist clearly at fault on this aspect alone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The same could be said for the cyclist tho, can't say if indicator was on or not, both at fault, all the driver has to say is their indicator was on and it becomes a cyclist undertaking illegally

Cyclists can pass on the left. It is not undertaking

That said, if the car ahead is indicating to turn, the general consensus is to give way.

I'd chalk this one up to experience for both and just be it. If you were positive they were not indicating, then I'd be 100% blaming them.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Did the driver offer to pay for your doctor bill or bike repairs?

If yes then I would assume you were square.

He didn't have his wing mirror out and performed a left turn without observing any traffic to left.

Motorist clearly at fault on this aspect alone.

No he didn't offer anything. Guess that would be admitting liability?

stevencn88 wrote: »
    No he didn't offer anything. Guess that would be admitting liability?

Did the gardai say anything about the fact his wing mirror wasn't out and he wasn't driving safely as a result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭secman

A long time cycling but only a recent convert to commuting to work on the bike. I am very wary of junctions with left turns as not every car that's turning left indicate their intention to do so. I generally presume the car to my right is likely to turn and approach with caution.
    My other observation is that generally speaking a lot of cycling lanes are poorly designed and poorly maintained, the ones approaching roundabouts that are segregated are baffling if you intend to go straight through the roundabout !
    Anyways OP glad to hear that you are relatively okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Yeah but one person is in a machine that can kill, onus should be on them to check before turning.

Agreed, the car should make doubly sure the way is clear

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

A very old man who hit me with his car!

Or a very old man who's car you hit with your bike. Depends on the perspective!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭secman

The jeep was stopped and even if he was indicating his intention to turn left, once he began to move forward how did he then check his inside to see if it was safe to proceed to turn if his passenger side mirror was folded in. Indicators are to indicate an intention to turn or manoeuvre left or right once safe to do so, they are not a "right" to such. I'm both a driver and a cyclist and rarely a day on the road goes by where you don't see an indicator/turn/manoeuvre being carried out in an instant without a lag to check if safe to proceed.

The driver could have hit a jogger coming up on the path in the inside... it's clear negligence on the part of the driver because they weren't observant before pulling in left.

Glad you're OK OP but I would have stuck to my guns on getting the doctor bill paid and an insurance inspection on the bike at the very least.

Is your helmet damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭wench

Can't see myself going the route of a claim. Honestly just trying to figure out who's at fault so I can learn from it myself. But I appreciate the advice.
    Being right won't keep you safe!

Slow moving traffic like that leaves you very exposed to the left turn you encountered, or the corresponding right turn through the yellow box who may not see you.
    Assume everyone else on the roads is an idiot out to kill you, and keep alert.

So would the fact he was stopped and behind the yellow box (in the above Google map link) when I started to pass him make any odds?? Was it an illigal undertaking?

No but as I said all the driver has to say is he was moving slowly and indicator was on, how can they prove/disprove who's right or wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

[quote. Is your helmet damaged?[/quote]

What has that got to do with the accident?

how can they prove/disprove who's right or wrong

by saying he had no wing mirror out?

What has that got to do with the accident?

That's additional equipment that the driver would need to pay for, apart from repairs to the bike.

I was knocked off my bike recently. My helmet was split in 2. I got that replacement paid for, along with bike repairs.

• Advertisement

by saying he had no wing mirror out?

Did the gardai take note of this I wonder

That's additional equipment that the driver would need to pay for, apart from repairs to the bike.

If they're found at fault of course

If they're found at fault of course

He turned left with no wing mirror out... he wasn't observing people coming up on his inside.

Of course he's at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Some people need to pay more attention on the road FS. This could have been a lot worse due to an undersight by the driver, it happens all too often

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

He turned left with no wing mirror out... he wasn't observing people coming up on his inside.

Of course he's at fault

The OP can not say if the indicators were on or not and can’t say if the mirror was bent back before or after he hit the car .... he is assuming this.

All we know for certain is that the driver was turning left at a junction and the cyclist hit in while under taking ... and that the cyclist said the wing mirror was out of position after the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

secman wrote: »
    A long time cycling but only a recent convert to commuting to work on the bike. I am very wary of junctions with left turns as not every car that's turning left indicate their intention to do so. I generally presume the car to my right is likely to turn and approach with caution.
    My other observation is that generally speaking a lot of cycling lanes are poorly designed and poorly maintained, the ones approaching roundabouts that are segregated are baffling if you intend to go straight through the roundabout !
    Anyways OP glad to hear that you are relatively okay.

Maybe some are badly designed or maintained, however the ones I pass on my commute every day are perfect cycle lanes but are rarely used by cyclists. Here are three of them, from the N81 at Jobstown up to the New Nangor Road at Grange Castle.

This one goes the whole way to the N7, but 8/10 cyclists still use the old suspended "Bus Lane" (see one of the numerous signs along the way showing it suspended, so it's just another traffic lane). There's absolutely no excuse.

This one is further north, after the N7 and all the way to Grange Castle. A perfect cycle lane fully separated from traffic by a wall, hedge and armco barrier, yet people still choose to use the Bus Lane. This is especially tricky when transiting through the roundabout, when they're on the inside traffic lane.

This one bates all, though. A perfect, spanking new lane on both sides (perfectly marked and cleaned since this Streetview shot), yet these idiots still choose to cycle on the only traffic lane there, slowing traffic down. Please explain why you guys choose to act in this manner?

Regarding the OP, I'm not sure exactly which spot the incident took place. Was the driver turning left into Lidl?

Maybe some are badly designed or maintained, however the ones I pass on my commute every day are perfect cycle lanes but are rarely used by cyclists. Here are three of them, from the N81 at Jobstown up to the New Nangor Road at Grange Castle.

This one goes the whole way to the N7, but 8/10 cyclists still use the old suspended "Bus Lane" (see one of the numerous signs along the way showing it suspended, so it's just another traffic lane). There's absolutely no excuse.

This one is further north, after the N7 and all the way to Grange Castle. A perfect cycle lane fully separated from traffic by a wall, hedge and armco barrier, yet people still choose to use the Bus Lane. This is especially tricky when transiting through the roundabout, when they're on the inside traffic lane.

This one bates all, though. A perfect, spanking new lane on both sides (perfectly marked and cleaned since this Streetview shot), yet these idiots still choose to cycle on the only traffic lane there, slowing traffic down. Please explain why you guys choose to act in this manner?

Regarding the OP, I'm not sure exactly which spot the incident took place. Was the driver turning left into Lidl?

Yes he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

EVERY cyclist should wear a helmet cam. No ifs-or-buts then.

Of course he's at fault

Not necessarily, how sure can we be someone coming to the aid of the cyclist didnt push it in or the driver leaned up against it, no driver is going to admit they drive around with the mirror tucked in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I was knocked off my bike recently. My helmet was split in 2. I got that replacement paid for, along with bike repairs.

Oh. Bicycle equipment. I’ve completely misread the situation.

Advertisement