Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the problem with premium EVs is that non premium brands are making some very good but cheaper offerings these days and paying alot extra for the premium badge is becoming harder to justify. Remember too that BMW stripped alot of spec out of these cars at the time due to processor and supply chain issues, in order to get them out of the factory. Frequent price hikes also meant you were paying more for less.

How much did that base M50 cost two years ago? 80k? Just looking at carzone and there are a few 2 year old 420d GC from dealers asking not much less than that M50. Some dealers are even asking more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The base m50 was 78k two years ago and is just short of 89k now so 60k is probably right for two years old based on its original price.

I understand the argument for non premium EV offerings and I think EV buyers are less badge conscious for sure but there is still a cohort that go for a premium badge. To be honest, for me it is how I am looked after as a customer if something goes wrong that makes a difference too and I have found my current BMW dealer very good in contrast to lots of other places both "premium" and not.

anyone that has replaced the tyres on the 19” wheels, what did you go with?

My car came with hankook tyres but I was never over impressed with them. I need to change so looking for other experience on other tyres.

could I put run flat on these rims?

I'd go with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 if price isn't an issue. They always get praised and recommended on performance cars. Alternative would be Goodyear Eagle F1s which are slightly cheaper.

Regarding run flats, there is conflicting answers as to whether they can or cannot be fitted to rims that did not originally come with them. I've replaced run flats with non run flats on BMWs before alright but have no experience of doing it the other way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Had the Goodyear on my S3 and the Michelins in my M3P. I’d take the Michelins too.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

I will price those tyre options up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Pilot Sport 4 is unmatched in all around performance, the 5 is apparently better in every way but one or two tyres beat it in certain wet grip testing.

Comes at a price though, Michelin have gotten expensive in the last year or so.

The Tyre Review YouTube channel does a lot of testing comparing similar tyres, the P Zero and Eagle F1 are popular alternatives although generally not quite as good as the PS4.

I’ve had PZeros on a Model S Performance and a Model 3 Performance. I personally don’t rate them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Just replaced the two rear after 35k. Mine came with Pilot 4 and I was really impressed they held up that well. Front two still have enough on them.

€235 a corner fitted in my local. Cheaper online but nobody willing to fit them after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

They the bmw star marked ones? Your local mechanic or local main dealer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Tyres wise, I’d recommend pricing Continental Contisport 7’s. Generally seem to be coming out on top on tyre reviews lately, beating the Michelin PS4S. Slightly cheaper too.

Yep star marked. Local tyre fitter, big place though so not a small operation. In for service at end of the month but I didn't fancy paying dealer prices for them.

What is the significance of a star marked tyre?

are they required for something in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

Apparently they are developed with between tyre and car company to be specific to car…but vague..they don’t say exactly.

I’m lazy so here is a quote from another forum where this is the response from a Michelin contact:

“It’s hard to define exactly what the construction differences are between standard and BMW tyres, as this is never disclosed. What we can say is that you only have to look at R117 labelling to see there are differences to these tyres, they’re certainly not the same. The * marked tyre will be tuned to meet the specific vehicle handling characteristics from BMW to offer best performance for a certain model. There will be differences in weight of each tyre, different attributes in terms of wet/dry/Rolling Resistance performance which could also include a slight change to tread pattern and tread depth & compound”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id be willing to guess its marketing nonsense and the regular non star marked ones will be fine for use.

Star marked means the tyre has been officially tested and approved by the car manufacturer for their particular car model afaik. Staying with OEM spec tyres basically. It's probably more marketing collaboration than literal I'd say. A bit like buying a new dishwasher and the manufacturer recommends using a specific brand of dishwasher tablet.

When I'd looked at it in the past there seemed to be some specific issues with X drives. Not using star marked could cause long term problems and lead to warranty issues.

I guess similar to needing to have fully matched sets on 4x4s. Better off being cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

A few calls from recovery and from Enterprise rent a car today... BMW maybe not too hot on updating the ould CRM.

New owner of the M50 that I got rid of earlier this year is apparently broken down by the side of the road somewhere.

I hope it's not the same issue as I had back in the day!!

Are M50s more troublesome than eDrive 40s or is that there are more M50 owners on boards?

My car is a year old this month and has been faultless but two friends that have i4’s have both had issues.

stuck charging cover, breakdown as well with one guy and lately the other guys car refuses to AC. Charge but will dc fast charge no problem so he has to take it to public chargers.

His garage, Frank Keane were not very helpful at all. He’s not impressed..

Post edited by carsfan2 on

• Advertisement

That sounds like nonsense but I’m open to be corrected , if there is a material difference between Michelin ps4s with and without a star id be shocked.

I came across this and apparently it's basically a different tyre. I didn't think it was anything that drastic so that surprised me also.

Slight mention of the X drive potential sensitivity issues also.

Cool will take a look, maybe my cynicism is unfounded so !

Not good reading.

Maybe it's the same issue as on here which seems to be a recall depending on build date - https://www.i4talk.com/threads/bmw-not-charging-at-all.10280/

thats the fault alright.

he was annoyed as it’s a known issue yet still he was almost a month without the car waiting while it was sorted with back and forth to Germany for approval to get a new unit installed.

doubly annoyed when he got the car back and got a trade in value for it.

scary number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Go on and tell us the trade-in, I tried one of those cars for cash sites and they offered 65-66k which while horrible is kind of what I expected.

Only hope of a decent trade in is against some new car that is not selling well like an i5 id say.

66k is retail price for an M50 now. Duffys have one for under €60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

€73k is the cheapest 231 for sale, mines is also 231.

• Advertisement

I’m speculating that the offer was so bad that they don’t really want the car…

He has a 2022 m50 with heap of extras like external carbon pack, upgrade seats, laser lights,sunroof etc. about 100k to buy new now. Less than 30k km up on it.

They offered 52k…

Advertisement