Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I’d be surprised if the A6 e tron doesn’t come in very similar to the i5 on pricing.

VW have launched the id7 starting at 70k so there will have to be a jump up to an equivalent sized Audi.

looking back, anyone who got into the i4 at the original price when launching did well enough.

if there was a small bit more room in the back it would be perfect and if it had a full glass roof option.

I like the look of the polestar 4 though and will look at that in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

That A6 etron is delayed now anyway, not launching until middle of next year, if it gets delayed any more nobody will buy one in 2024 at all and they will be 2025 models. Audi really falling behind here now. That said, its going to be the best looking EV available once it lives up to its concepts.

I agree, if the i4 was a little more practical I would be all over it. But as a used car in 2 to 3 years.

Prices arent that bonkers really compared to years ago.

I had a 530i e39 registered first ion 2001 that had original invoice in the car that was 70k euro. And a 2006 e60 523i with a piddly 174bhp from a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder fuel guzzling engine that was 67k, although it had loads of extras on it, except a decent engine. I didnt buy either new or even close to being new but someone did.

They didnt have half the features of even the cheapest car on the road today but the government sure knew how to charge us for the pleasure of buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Articles now making making mainstream media about sales stalling a little for various reasons. Basically a combination of all things mentioned in this thread over last while is a summary of the article…biggest standout that i4 was discounted by 20% in Germany last month only. Think was about 10% discounts elsewhere on evs in general.

I know if I was thinking of buying new soon I’d be holding off a while to see what discounts or free extras they start throwing in next year.

They are gonna have to reduce prices of Eqe and i5 to shift any sort of numbers of them. Which is turn will play into the a6 pricing.

ID7 will have to in turn drop from 70k.

All this info/data will filter into media articles and in turn possibly make people consider holding off a bit which in turn will makes sales even worse 😂

Maybe it’s what I’d like to happen influencing what I think will happen! Just feel it’s only now and more so next year that people are really starting to feel effect of interest rate increases plus inflation and hence been more cautious with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's much more caution with money, plus if you're looking into an EV at the moment, there are a lot of very tempting 2024 models that aren't yet available but fully publicised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭maddness

I’m thinking of buying a used i4 40 and was wondering about range and just general thought from owners. The reviews are all very positive for the 40, less so for the M50. I do a Dublin to Galway return trip most weeks and was wondering if I’d make the whole trip without charging. I tend to keep to the speed limit or a bit lower on long journeys. Not a deal breaker if I can’t make the full journey but it would be a positive.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks, I had seen that alright. Those numbers aren’t too bad at all either. I suppose I was just wondering what owners thought of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Great cars in general. Not the best EV due to some small short comings (transmission tunnel for example) but they are a bmw quality product. Not perfect but that’s bmw nowadays anyway.

it’s a GT style car so rear space is small.

Theres ample amount of them for sale now so contest drive a few and see what spec, colour etc you like.

You won’t go too wrong in fairness other than depreciation in the next year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Same as you, I'm in the market for one too but range and public charging isn't really an issue for me as I work from home and only do about 15k km per year. One thing I noticed from looking around though is that there are some odd speced ones out there. Lots of them had equipment removed due to the chip shortage last year just to get the out the door of the factory. Most of the M Sport models I seen have the Pro Pack which gives you the adaptive dampers as standard.

Might not be important to you but they don't come with electric front seats as standard which is mean given the high price tag of the car. They included them in the Comfort Plus pack I think along with the heated steering wheel. Same goes with wireless charging and keyless entry, it's included in the Tech Pack along with the HUD. The Harman Kardon sound system seems to be more commonly speced on them though. Adaptive cruise is another thing you have to pay extra for through the BMW app, it's fitted to them all but around €800 to active, high beam assist is another €300 afaik. Again pretty mean on a car costing north of 65k new when even a basic Golf had those as standard 10 years ago.

Drive wise I found it to be a typical BMW if your a previous owner, handling is pretty good with typical EV instant torque but you can feel the weight of the car when your just wafting around at low speed. Hans Zimmer fake throttle sounds are gimmicky after a bit but can be turned off.

If you can find one with most of the above fitted then it's a very nice place to be in but they are rare enough and tend to be price high. I test drove a G21 330e at the same time and while it was a nice place the i4 interior is just step up it.

Thanks Bazz. I’ve had plenty of BMW’s so am familiar enough with their various specs and the pitfalls of a low spec car.

Whats very encouraging is the amount of positive reviews on the car, hard to find a bad review in fact.

whats less encouraging is I’ve been looking at 2022 cars and there is a hell of a lot of them for sale that don’t seem to be moving. Not exactly confidence inspiring. I wonder will there be a price reduction soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

My BMW card would not work at the Obama Plaza yesterday, it said invalid card. Did anybody else have issues with ESB chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dagryl

Unfortunately, nowadays that doesn't mean that the car is good. :(

I loved BMWs. Currently, I have 330e with leaking coolant and I have to wait 2 months until someone will even look at it in the service. And I don't have high hopes because my car was looked at twice with the same problem and the leak wasn't found. They just charged me 160 each time and told me that I needed to keep an eye on it. I think I'll stay away from BMW.

Plenty of pitfalls on the car if you read enough of this thread from buyers who have sold straight away. It’s not all rosy.

This is the kind of information I’m after! I was hoping to have to avoid reading 3000 plus posts though…

It’s a very expensive purchase, I think I’d read the thread over a few days myself if I was buying.

It’s not just the i4 in fairness, it’s bmw in general are not like they used to be. They removed many of the little features after COVID will putting prices up. I was in the i5 M60 today. Stunning car, but god k can’t get over that transmission tunnel in an EV, the i4 has the same. There was more space inside my i3!

I really don't get all the complaining about lack of space or having a transmission tunnel with this car. These cars are designed to have multiple fuel types, only one of which is electric. If people need wades of space then there are plenty of choices out there. I don't need masses of interior space or a high seating position in a car so don't see why it has to be the default because it's an EV. I want a sleeker coupe like design and if EV is the only way forward then an i4 is suitable for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Except for yllw.ldbttr on here, who was cursed with his first i4 I don’t recall anyone who sold straight away and anyway he ordered a m50 model to replace the first one while it was being repaired.

I was hoping to get an opinion or two from owners who have had them for a while. I’ve plenty of opinions on cars but only try to give advice on ones I’ve owned. I’ve never owned an EV and but have toyed with the idea of one for a while now. A Tesla seems the obvious choice but after driving a few I just don’t like them and have always like BMW’s so thought a i4 might be a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I didn't "sell" either, I handed it back (legally) after the dealer spent 3 months "trying" to fix it.

The dealer finally came good and made an offer on a replacement car at which point I opted for the M50.

I love the M50, but the loss of range with the 20s was killer for me, so I'm getting rid of that now in favour of a BYD Seal in January. It will be my first non BMW car in 20 years.

Things go wrong with cars all the time but at the BMW price point I expect a level of service and customer engagement that didn't happen. It's all in the history of this thread for the other poster above to see.

I think the commoditisation of EVs is accelerating TBH and brand loyalty doesn't really make sense to me in an EV world.. It might for a petrol head but I was always into the tech more than the car so the change suits me.

The i4 is a beautiful car though, and the M50 performance is incredible. I've enjoyed owning it and dravit grey in the sun is absolute mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Woodie40

Don’t buy a Tesla, terrible car, I got rid of it pronto.

I don't recall anyone selling their i4 on this thread?

The i4 is a beautiful machine, a proper car.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. There seems to be very strong opinions about different EV’s!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Drive lots of cars, then decide what suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Not aware of many problems or owners selling in their droves.

Happy with mine, have had an M50 since launch. Previous i3 and 330e owner. So very familiar with EV BMWs as well as previous petrols.

I wouldn't be going for another new BMW though. The i5 prices are insane compared to the i4 and other brands. Less standard features and reduced quality. Seem to be just trying to increase their bottom line in the short term and will lose loyal customers.

2nd hand i4 would be a great car to go with. Just make it an M50 though, can never have enough power.

It’s the same in the ICE world. You’ll always get differing opinions. You just have to drive them for yourself. Plus you’re on an Internet forum where 90% of the population are not, so you’re getting an even tougher cohort of opinions.

Joe Duffy have a lovely green i4 M50 in the show room at the moment to take a look at if you’re nearby. It just needs a sunroof IMO.

If buying second hand, double check if the battery recall was effected on the car. It was a relatively hush hush recall from bmw but I’m not 100% sure it was needed here. Maybe one of the long term owners can confirm.

This is the cheapest M50 available on DD now - be worth a look - https://www.donedeal.ie/view/34290062

BMW i4 M50 Xdrive 4DR Auto

I have a m50 since April and it has been faultless. I took extended tests of both models and couldn't understand why lots of reviews especially UK ones raved about the 40 model but not the m50. I think in the UK the m50 is priced closer to a m3 petrol and they expected more from it. In reality I think it is just a faster grippier version than the 40 but not a full fat M car at all. After driving the m50, the 40 model felt less special to me but super never the less. If range is paramount then the 40 is better but on 19" wheels not massively so. The car rides very well and is practical enough with the hatchback.

A fully loaded 40 model is almost the same price new as a bog standard m50 which gets all the kit as standard. I don't know if the same holds true as a used car.

The main downside on a day to day basis is the huge turning circle that makes parking a chore but other than that I find it great. I drove Tesla model 3 and polestar too but they weren't in the same league for me. the new BYD dolphin might be worth a look though.

That M50 has been for sale for ages despite being the cheapest one of its kind, maybe that corner of the world it's for sale makes it difficult or maybe there is another reason? Next cheapest 2022 M50 is 75k from a BMW dealer unsurprisingly. There still seems to be at good chunk of change difference in price between a used edrive40 and M50 though.

I see a few BMW dealers are advertising 232 "ex demo" edrive35s with 2.9% APR finance too - https://www.carsireland.ie/3554281

Edit: Dealer offering it on a 232 M50 too: https://www.carsireland.ie/3555844

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭digiman

That’s really interesting on the finance, I got stung at 6.9% on mine, was actually 7.9% but managed to negotiate to 6.9%. That’s probably the only thing that would make me change right now is if it made sense on monthly payments to change to something else. The difference in monthly payments between 2.9% and 6.9% is about €200/month.

I love the m50, my favourite car I ever owned. I’ve had a Model 3 Performance for a year and liked it too overall, but much prefer the looks of the m50 and the overall design.

Some people are making a huge deal out of the transmission tunnel and that’s it’s not an EV designed from the ground up and repeat it almost every time they talk about the car. Yeah, transmission tunnel is not serving any purpose but if that’s the trade off to having a car that looks great and keeps in BMW tradition then I’m more than happy to pay that price. The iX is designed from ground up but I’d much rather they stuck a 100KW battery into the X5 and keep the transmission tunnel and I would loved one and I think would outsell the iX by a huge amount.

I make a big deal about it as you have to look at it everytime you open the rear doors. And when the rear seats are full of kids, it makes a big difference alright. Especially when much smaller dedicated EV’s have more rear space in the back because of this.

Lazy design on this element from bmw which I’ve stated from the very start. Also the fact the charging port still has the fuel cap holder 😂

Would I have one, yes of course. But I’ve no problem pointing out the flaws as I see it to me.

But if you have a load of kids and an i4 then you have bought the wrong car. Same way you don't buy a 2 seater roadster and criticize the car because you cannot fit kids in the back. The i4 is not a family car and was never designed to be one. It's an electric version of a car also available with internal combustion engines that offers an EV option to those who don't want a car that looks like a typical EV.

Regarding the finance rates, if those rates are true then they are pretty low by today's typical standards. BMW Ireland must be under pressure now to shift i4s and surely it would make more sense to go with a 2023 model over a 2022. Dealer prices of 2022 models are still pretty high and generally not a very attractive buy at the moment imo.

• Advertisement

Why put the middle seat in then? I’d respect it more if they down what they did with my old 640d, just leave it as a rear 2 seats, same as my i3 too.

it’s advertised as a 5 seater. You won’t get 3 adults in there during your cross country trip as a GT is designed for either.

Every car has their quirks and everybody has their own opinions on them and that’s fine.

We accept that and buy the car to suit each other.

Advertisement