Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The EV tyre thing is overrated IMO. My Michelins lasted 40,034 km on a Model 3 Performance.

And there was thread left. Only changed them as at some stage the alignment went and they worn out on the inner threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I only got 11,000km out of the 20 inch tyres on the i4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's too many variables when it comes to tyres, you could even say you'd just be going around in circles...I could get completely different lifespan doing the same driving on P Zero, SportContact and Pilot Sport 5.

Then you've got people driving with a heavy foot, bad alignment or doing a ton of start stop so it's hard to compare with others.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

No, I’ve never used launch control. Second set are around 11k aswell but there’s plenty of thread left on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah not surprised, I don't think the aluminium bits go that well with the lighter coloured cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

My L30 doesnt have a launch option🤣 yet I just changed the front tyres because grip levels had fallen off a cliff even with over 2mm thread left and was amazed when I checked to find that I had only done 10,500km on the tyres. Goodyear efficientgrip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dazcord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭sh81722

That's very poor, get the front alignment checked I think. Our L24/L40 both lasted over 50k per set, but a different brand (OEM Dunlop). The curent L30 had some random brand tyres at front and we have already put 15k on them since buying with plenty of meat left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Has anyone ever used their BMW charging card to authorise a charging session for a non BMW at Ionity?

I'm thinking in theory it should work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

Will do if the current set show signs of premature wearing as this was by far the worst lifespan Ive got from the L30 tyres.

Ive used Dunlop efficient grip for nearly 6 years now, mainly because of their supppsed low rolling resistance (an L30 priority😂) but I find that, while traction is reasonable when new, grip levels fall off very quickly as tyres wear. Anyone have a similar view? Might be worthwhile trying a different brand next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don't think the charger bothers to identify the car, otherwise you wouldn't need the charging card. So it should work fine.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot anyway and confirm if it works.

I think I have maybe 4 months left on my 1 year discount of Ionity but I've sold the car so might as well enjoy the discount if I can.

Just to confirm, you can in fact use your BMW Ionity 1 year discount on another vehicle.

Tested this week and worked for me.

Have you seen your car for sale again since you traded it in?

if so, what size margin is the dealership looking to make on it?

Not yet, bizarrely it's still sitting in the lot at MSL.

No idea why it's not gone to the BMW dealership they agreed to trade it to.

I'd imagine their asking price will be at least 10k more than they paid for it.

Wow. That’s a 100k plus car new these days. Hate to think what the trade in price offered was on that.

could be another sob story for the Irish Independent to go with the terrible injustice that Volkswagen id buyers have endured…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Bit bizarre that they've plastered a BMW with "BYD" plates and stickers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭digiman

The demand for the i4 must have completely gone down since the early days. I see the one I traded in 12 months ago is still for sale, has dropped from €86k to €71k since then too. I wonder are they selling many new ones these days at all. I’ve only seen one i5 in the wild so far.

It will not be fun when it comes to trading in, but still don’t have any interest in changing at the moment.

My only gripe with the car is I find the suspension quite hard when going through bumpy roads or potholes. Not sure if anyone knows Knockmaron hill going from Chapelizod to Castleknock, surface is shocking (literally) when leaving Chapelizod and it just rattles my back every day I drive on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

I4 sold 43 this jan compared to nearly 250 in jan 23 . So a very big drop indeed . It’s not made up by i5 sales though as I think its only 24 for jan 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It looks like Jan '23 is an outlier though, 543 cars sold that year and 248 were in January, they averaged 26 per month after that and 23 per month the year before.

It was their best selling EV for 2023 and 2022 as it surprisingly outsold the iX3.

I think the i4 was in short supply in 2022 so lots of pre orders came through in 23. This might account for the high early numbers last January

no doubt the ever increasing price and higher interest rates and anti ev sentiment will have affected sales now.

The only i5 I have seen on the road was driven by a local BMW sales man.

I am happy with mine a year on and can’t think what would replace it which is unusual for me as I’m always usually planning my next car. For once the 5 series holds no attraction.

I did well on my trade in to buy it but don’t want to contemplate what it’s worth now..

my only complaint is the woeful turning circle and poor parking manoeuvrability.

I see a BMW dealer has a standard enough spec 2022 M50 asking just under 60k now. It was 62k a few weeks back. Another dealer has a well speced 2022 eDrive 40 since last year that has dropped from 66k to 62k and now at 59k. I'm seeing the same cars for sale for ages so I wondering did these dealers get burnt with high trade-in prices at the time?

Anyone get an i4 trade in value recently? Would be interesting to know are dealers more cautious now valuing them as they seem to be hard to shift. I can only imagine getting a more favourable trade in value against maybe the i5 alright as they are struggling to sell them.

I got cold called by the guy I bought my i4 from about the i5 last week. I’d say definitely a decent deal if I went for one. They are struggling to sell them as they are too dear, which he admitted as BMW have now brought in a sport model at a lower price point.

We didn’t discuss numbers as I don’t think I’m interested but I think the market for new cars is flatter than the registration numbers would lead you to believe.

that m50 for 60k is basic spec but lot of performance and cheap daily motoring for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭digiman

My old one is for sale one year now and had gone from €86k down to just below €70k now. It was a bog standard spec m50.

Id be scared to ask how much my new one had depreciated in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭maddness

There are 80 for sale on DoneDeal currently. They are not selling at all. Lovely car but massively overpriced like all premium brand EV’s.

There were over 90 for sale a few weeks back when I looked so some are selling but I think a lot of main dealers are holding out for high prices.

Joe Duffy seem to consistently price lower than others on used BMW’s from what I’ve noticed. Dealers in the country seem more comfortable to sit on stock.

To me the level of depreciation of the i4 is just typical for a BMW now we are back in more normal times with regards to supply.

The fact it’s electric is irrelevant. I think a combustion BMW at its price point would lose value as quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭maddness

Perhaps but it’s not just BMW EV’s priced low and not selling. There are a lot of Audi E-Tron’s and Merc Eq’s for sale too. I’m not knocking the i4 as a car but the market is saying something different.

• Advertisement

I'm getting plenty of ads online for new Mercedes EQE priced now from 69995 euro which is some drop from the original price of 85K so I am guessing they are not selling. In this case I think it is as much down to the fact they are an ugly bland car as the fact it is an EV.

I know a few people with i4's and all are happy but they are all interested in cars and ordered them and wanted a particular spec, whereas I don't think any non car people would be looking for a 4 series gran coupe style of car. The people that wanted one now have their car. It is pretty niche. I hate to say it but most people spending this sort of money seem to want to be in a SUV style car.

In fairness ,the upside of depreciation is that a two year old BMW gran coupe m50 with sub 4 second 0-60, four wheel drive, two year BMW warranty, low tax and running costs for 60k is there. That would have been unimaginable a few years ago.

Advertisement