Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Non Christmassy things that remind you of Christmas.

• 11-03-2021 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,211 ✭✭✭✭ freshpopcorn

One for me is seeing the leaves change colour and fall on the ground!

What about ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭ Aisling(",)

When little girls are in red tartan dresses.I have no idea why.
    I think its because its a go to for many as Christmas clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭ TRS30

Hot chocolate and with marshmallows.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc

Kids going back to school is one for me. The fond memories I have of school when the Advent wreath came out I knew it was getting close. Then things like strictly come dancing starting back on tv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Deseras

Leaves change months before Christmas
    And most leaves are gone long before christnas

• Registered Users Posts: 26,211 ✭✭✭✭ freshpopcorn

Deseras wrote: »
    Leaves change months before Christmas
    And most leaves are gone long before christnas

If your a true Christmas fan it starts in about October!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy

Preach! :D

Sausage rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭ odyssey06

Wensleydale cheese

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc

Smell of fresh paint reminds me of Christmas.

My parents always did any renovations or decor changes to the house around October/November to have the house “ready for Christmas”

The smell of paint always remind me of getting ready for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭ kitten_k

Mushy peas as Christmas Day is the only day of the year I eat them.

Nobody else in my house likes them but when I go home for Christmas my Mam makes a big bowl of them just for me and my Dad as we’re are the only ones that like them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭ DvB

Great British bake off, starts at the end of summer normally but we consider it a solid stepping stone on the build up to Christmas.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Candles lit around the house. Don't know why just like it :)

Oh yes to this one too... I usually replace the Christmas Tree lights with more candles in January to keep a warm glow in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭ Littlehorny

Loughc wrote: »
    Oh yes to this one too... I usually replace the Christmas Tree lights with more candles in January to keep a warm glow in the house.

For safety you can buy plenty of battery operated candles now that look pretty realistic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy

5JkUOrk.jpeg

Love baileys. Myself and the Mrs go through a bottle every couple of months.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Was coming home from a site meeting today in the car and an advert came on the radio for house improvement loans from the credit Unions that I must admit had a real christmas/winter vibe about it.

DvB wrote: »
    Was coming home from a site meeting today in the car and an advert came on the radio for house improvement loans from the credit Unions that I must admit had a real christmas/winter vibe about it.

It’s like the DFS sofa ads. Get them now in time for Christmas playing in august :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭ shockframe

East 17 -Stay Another Day
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭ PaulT21

shockframe wrote: »
    East 17 -Stay Another Day
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love

Both of those definitely on my Christmas Playlist. :D Love them both:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,509 ✭✭✭✭ PTH2009

the bell sound in this song sounds a bit like a Christmas song imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder

Die Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭ Day Lewin

Yea, to Baileys - and for me, brandy, too.

Sometimes add a wee tot of it to a mug of drinking chocolate for a sweet and certain sleepy nightcap.

Outside of that it is not used much in this house, so I often buy a small bottle - (is that a naggin?) to put into the pudding and Christmas cake and mincemeat; and eventually to flame the pudding.

Even dusting the bottle is a reminder of warm Christmassy times.

Many round here will argue that 'Die Hard' is not non Christmassy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭ Purple Mountain

I was just about to post The Power of Love! Don't know why because it's not specifically a Christmas song.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭ Eskie

The song lyrics aren't Christmassy at all. Gabrielle Aplin did a cover version, and was used for the John Lewis 2012 ad, one of my faves:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭ SarahLil

The excitement I nearly squealed reading your post 👌

• Advertisement

Have the Andy William's song in my head now :)

Advertisement