Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non Christmassy things that remind you of Christmas.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Wasnt sure whether or not to use the Louis Armstrong or Andy Williams reference so went for both 😃

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

Hi all, for me certain foods remind me of Christmas past when I was a child. My mam always cooked celery in a white sauce Christmas Day. Anytime I smell celery it brings me back. Also, croquettes the frozen ones. She always had these with Christmas dinner in the 80s and 90s. Never liked them but they were always there. Finally, one of my kids got a new board game recently and I instantly smelled the inside of the box after opening it. Brought me right back to being a child and that new game smell you’d get after opening an MB (hasbro) game. Bliss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The new board game smell! Yes! I know exactly what you mean. Great post Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Lost my smell recently with having covid, really hope ita back by Christmas, that board game smell is a quality. But for me the song don't worry be happy reminds me of Christmas, it was on the radio one Christmas morning when I was a kid and it just stuck as a Christmas song forever after that for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Shortbread biscuits.My mam gets big slabs of them at Christmas. I'd go through a box alone if I was left to it.

Boxes of King crisps too!Do they even sell boxes of crisps the rest of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

Several Only Fools and Horses Christmas Specials.

Must have the highest year round repeats of any Christmas associated events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The smell from a paraffin oil heater.

One was lit in my wife's father's shed smell brought me right back to childhood Christmas.

Also for many years I travelled to the Birmingham motorcycle show in the nec.

Always made me feel like a big child at Christmas getting a few new bits for the bike or motorcycle clothing.

Eating a burger King meal with my brother in the airport before departing for home felt like Christmas Dinner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tunnock Teacakes remind me of Christmas. I buy a big box every year for Christmas but don’t really have them outside of the festive season. Same for Gaffney’s snowballs.

• Advertisement

Cidona as well. This goes back to the days when we would only have “minerals” for Easter or Christmas. My mam would buy a selection of coke, 7up, orange and cidona would be cracked open on Christmas Day for the dinner.

My sister does Christmas dinner now and she carried forward that cidona tradition. As did I this year. Although I do buy a couple of bottles for the season and not just Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ya, Cidona is a thing in our house at Christmas also!

King crisps I don’t eat king crisps any other time of year but always end up getting a box of them at Christmas.

A king crisp sambo on white bread and real butter. F**k yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

A box (or packet) of Quality Streets. Christmastime is about the only time of the year I eat them!

I was adamant I was going to order a tin of quality street outside of the Christmas season last year but I never did. I only consume them at Christmas time myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Scots Clan... my da used to buy me a box every year , I automatically associate them with Christmas ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I had to buy them for OH as he always associated them with Christmas

Snow.... Christmas. ... It's snowing here now , ok , a little bit but still Christmassy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooh, where are you?

• Advertisement

Ah amazing!! There’s a bit of snow forecasted across the country. Hope we all experience a light dusting at some stage.

Snow makes everything so Christmassy. Huge drop in temperature out there tonight.

In Laois Posy ☺

I went out in my slippers to see if it was sticking to the picnic bench in the garden! It wasn't much but it was snow☺

@Loughc , fingers crossed you all get a dusting wherever ye are !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

My god, I got a pang of nostalgia and could nearly taste the cidona. It has been about 20 years since I tasted it.

Advertisement