Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non Christmassy things that remind you of Christmas.

• 12-03-2021 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭

One for me is seeing the leaves change colour and fall on the ground!

What about ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

When little girls are in red tartan dresses.I have no idea why.
    I think its because its a go to for many as Christmas clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Hot chocolate and with marshmallows.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kids going back to school is one for me. The fond memories I have of school when the Advent wreath came out I knew it was getting close. Then things like strictly come dancing starting back on tv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Deseras

Leaves change months before Christmas
    And most leaves are gone long before christnas

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Deseras wrote: »
    Leaves change months before Christmas
    And most leaves are gone long before christnas

If your a true Christmas fan it starts in about October!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Preach! :D

Sausage rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wensleydale cheese

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Smell of fresh paint reminds me of Christmas.

My parents always did any renovations or decor changes to the house around October/November to have the house “ready for Christmas”

The smell of paint always remind me of getting ready for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Mushy peas as Christmas Day is the only day of the year I eat them.

Nobody else in my house likes them but when I go home for Christmas my Mam makes a big bowl of them just for me and my Dad as we’re are the only ones that like them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Great British bake off, starts at the end of summer normally but we consider it a solid stepping stone on the build up to Christmas.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Candles lit around the house. Don't know why just like it :)

Candles lit around the house. Don't know why just like it :)

Oh yes to this one too... I usually replace the Christmas Tree lights with more candles in January to keep a warm glow in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Loughc wrote: »
    Oh yes to this one too... I usually replace the Christmas Tree lights with more candles in January to keep a warm glow in the house.

For safety you can buy plenty of battery operated candles now that look pretty realistic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

5JkUOrk.jpeg

Love baileys. Myself and the Mrs go through a bottle every couple of months.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Was coming home from a site meeting today in the car and an advert came on the radio for house improvement loans from the credit Unions that I must admit had a real christmas/winter vibe about it.

DvB wrote: »
    Was coming home from a site meeting today in the car and an advert came on the radio for house improvement loans from the credit Unions that I must admit had a real christmas/winter vibe about it.

It’s like the DFS sofa ads. Get them now in time for Christmas playing in august :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭shockframe

East 17 -Stay Another Day
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

shockframe wrote: »
    East 17 -Stay Another Day
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love

Both of those definitely on my Christmas Playlist. :D Love them both:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the bell sound in this song sounds a bit like a Christmas song imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Die Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yea, to Baileys - and for me, brandy, too.

Sometimes add a wee tot of it to a mug of drinking chocolate for a sweet and certain sleepy nightcap.

Outside of that it is not used much in this house, so I often buy a small bottle - (is that a naggin?) to put into the pudding and Christmas cake and mincemeat; and eventually to flame the pudding.

Even dusting the bottle is a reminder of warm Christmassy times.

Many round here will argue that 'Die Hard' is not non Christmassy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I was just about to post The Power of Love! Don't know why because it's not specifically a Christmas song.

To thine own self be true

The song lyrics aren't Christmassy at all. Gabrielle Aplin did a cover version, and was used for the John Lewis 2012 ad, one of my faves:

I see this thread coming to life after a long spell of being dormant & I think to my self, what a wonderful world (time of the year)

Its happening people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

The excitement I nearly squealed reading your post 👌

• Advertisement

Have the Andy William's song in my head now :)

Advertisement