Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's really not hyperbolic. Leinster are favourites to win both competitions this season. The significant imbalance in CC's only begins next season.

I go back to this question; this is the first time we've ever had such a dramatic imbalance in central contracts, it begs the question if such an imbalance was ever intended / expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭jonok28

The IRFU have the model for fixing things staring them right in the face. The IRFU have a rule in place, no Irish province can have more than 3 Non Irish Qualified players.

Why don't they say that each province at a bare minimum has a choice to centrally contract 3 players. Leinster could still have their 10 CC players but it gives the likes of Ulster, Munster and Connacht a chance to get money off the books so they can strengthen the squad with that money.

Ulster could CC Nick Timoney, Tom O'Toole and Stuart McCluskey. That doesn't stop the likes of Robert Baloucoune, James Hume or Nathan Doak from getting CC's, it just means that 3 contracts will be guaranteed Central contracts.

Yes it costs the IRFU more money but if each team uses that money to improve dramatically and bring in more players who can help them win, then the IRFU benefit from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Central contracts are in place for the best players in Ireland, you are now just rewarding players with central contracts because they are in a province and not becuase they deserve it?

Isn't the IRFU already doing this anyway with topping up wages for some players in provinces?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fitzgea1

So how about abolishing central contracts altogether and the IRFU just contributes to each provinces operating costs every year. But it's on a sliding scale where the worst performing gets the most. So it would be something like (figures are just for illustration)

C: 10m

U:9m

M:8m

L:7m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Would anyone mind sharing the presale link please? Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Was the imbalance intended/expected? Yes and no.

The whole set-up is geared to producing test-level player to populate the Irish team which drives the whole IRFU.

What we've seen in the last ten years is one province do exactly what it's supposed to, so yes that bit was intended, even if we didn't expect it to be quite so successful.

On the flip side, the other two bulk suppliers to the national team have fallen off a cliff, so no, that bit was not intended or expected.

But the bit that is working as it should seems to be the problem?

I know a certain poster will come along, call me disingenuous and say that Ulster/Munster can never match Leinster's output, or some other trite deflection, but next season, there will ONE centrally contracted product of the Ulster and Munster academies combined. One. And you'd struggle to point to anyone and say they're hard done by not to have one. Yeah POM could have got another year, what odds would that make in the bigger picture?

The imbalance is not due to the favourable treatment of Leinster, which again, we've yet to hear an explanation for why the Aussie and English guy would do so, it's down to the collapse of the Ulster and Munster conveyor belts.

But apparently Jordie Barrett going on a J1 is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Ciaran

How long are Ulster fans going to keep this up? Will Leinster fans be allowed to talk about up coming ticket sales and league games any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Because the IRFU wants to control the negotiations for the national team's most important players, rather than leaving it to the provinces.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fitzgea1

Maybe we don't need to keep 'all' our best players in Ireland, maybe that's part of the problem. Look at South Africa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Also looking for the pre-sale link if anyone could send it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

The same if someone wouldn't mind sending it on, thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I’d appreciate a presale link too if there is one going.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jayno66

Would also be very grateful for a presale link, trying to sort good seats for a group! Many thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Id also appreciate the link if possible please

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: A fair point.

Any future discussion of Central Contracts in the Ireland thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭jonok28

The IRFU would have to agree that the contracts being given out are warranted. It can't just be randomly given to keep someone there. They have to be players who are part of regular Ireland squads. That's why I picked Timoney, O'Toole and for the future Doak ( I was using them three players as an example).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Not sure if allowed to post the link, but if you google "leinster rugby presale ticketmaster" you'll get a link to it.

I think it's season ticket holders only, and needs to be linked to email used for the season ticket.

I've gotten to top of the queue - but all I'm getting then is a spinning wheel where link to purchase should be

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Id really appreciate a presale ticket link too please if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

I got 7 Canal end (Davin) tickets, bringing 3 kids with me. Not ideal but couldn't justify €75 a ticket for every location in the Cusack and Hogan stand. Not all seats in these stands are the same so paying the same price for them all is crazy. Adult ticket with booking fee comes out at €61.90 for here.

Correction to the above I just discovered that the Lower Cusack is available under the €38 tickets, section 301 down at the Hill end. I would have gotten them if I knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm a STH and all I'm getting is 500 Internal Server Error when I join the Queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

It should work as this sale isn't linked to the season ticket account just a normal Ticketmaster account. I tried it on my work computer and it was getting nowhere, tried on my phone and it went straight in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Have tried both, and neither letting me past the spinning wheel

Got it sorted thanks everyone . Got 4 x Hill 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Got a pair of Cusack Stand premium tickets. Didn't really want to throw out that much but everything else I was being offered was a bit meh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Has the details of the squad going/gone to South Africa been released ?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Got tickets in section 306 which seems to be around the halfway line. Expensive but should be a good view at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LuckyRob11

Hi all. Would very much appreciate a link to pre sale as well. Also getting spinning wheel.

Many thanks

Advertisement