Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Mikey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

km991148 wrote: »

I don't understand, why there are not more negative comments on UTube.
    Can Mikey delete comments, that he doesn't like?

"I'm the guy, who caught Guy Richie"
    What a knob!

Eamonnator wrote: »

What a knob!

I can't tell if he's been tounge in cheek or not

In fairness, I got recommended one the other day where he just filmed and left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What a knob!

The guy waved, indicated fair enough and then he follows him. If I didn't know any better I would say he was annoyed he didn't get a rise out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Church of Mickey :)

Pulpit of CycleDub

• Advertisement

He's Louis Theroux on a bike there in that video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's a week and 180 posts since I made this remark.
    Nothing, that has been said since, has changed my mind.
    I wonder has anybody changed their mind about Mikey's behaviour.

I'm a Mikey fan and he definitely is not a bellend by any stretch of the imagination, do you think if a family member of yours was killed by a dangerous driver, you would do nothing? Mikey is out catching people doing illegal things while driving or in control of a motorised vehicle and making the streets safer by taking dangerous drivers off the roads or making sure they get punished for their behaviour. If we had more like him, maybe we wouldnt have as many dangerous drivers in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

On one YouTube comment someone calls him out for not wearing a helmet. His response is that helmets don't save lives...talk about double standards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

What a knob!

He must delete them. Abusive ones I can understand but there's not even constructive criticism allowed. I can't see how they can all be universally positive otherwise. Shows what kind of person he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Seen a lot of RTBI in cork as I'm local to area. Also seen cycling Mikey through him. While I appreciate what they are trying to do, Mikey has too much time on his hands and is trapping people by waiting in the bushes as mentioned. Bit of a knob.

RTBI is interesting, sometimes he comes across quite likeable but there are some videos he posts where he is behaving like a lunatic! Particular ones are numerous where he sees someone indicate Left and I'm not suggesting he stops, but he ploughs on at full speed waiting for the interaction. Theres also the cycling of carrs hill and dual carriageways, which is totally insane. He pulls some outrageous (to me) manoeuvres at speed through roundabouts and junctions. But he has also had some insane close passes and highlighted some really dangerous driving I'll admit I have an increased awareness when overtaking a cyclist from it so fair play on that front. I do think similar to Mikey if he dropped the interaction and just posted the videos / reported he might enjoy cycling a little more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

crazy 88 wrote: »
    On one YouTube comment someone calls him out for not wearing a helmet. His response is that helmets don't save lives...talk about double standards

What dangerous activities do you wear a helmet for - walking? stair climbing? Showering? Driving?

Talk about double standards....

He must delete them. Abusive ones I can understand but there's not even constructive criticism allowed. I can't see how they can all be universally positive otherwise. Shows what kind of person he is.

What constructive criticism comments got deleted?

By that standard we should wear them when we're out walking or driving in the car? Wouldnt you agree?

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I do think similar to Mikey if he dropped the interaction and just posted the videos / reported he might enjoy cycling a little more.

What makes you think he doesnt enjoy cycling?

Like the constructive criticism on this one, yeah?? He didnt even report it, which shows he's not a bellend to some on here. He's doing great work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Mc Love wrote: »
    Like the constructive criticism on this one, yeah?? He didnt even report it, which shows he's not a bellend to some on here. He's doing great work

Can’t see any critical comments on that

How do you know he didn't report it? Because he didn't publish the result? I mean was it reported and rejected?

How do you know he didn't report it? Because he didn't publish the result? I mean was it reported and rejected?

When he reports, you won't see the video published for months or even years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

What makes you think he doesnt enjoy cycling?

True, he probably does, should have really said I would not enjoy it in that style. Stressing out all day and then go on the bike and do the same! Not for me.

Seve OB wrote: »

The absence of critical comments is not exactly conclusive proof that he is deleting such comments. But so what if he is -its his channel, so he decides what to keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there an irish version of cycling mikey? some busybody cycling around dublin or cork?

not that i want one mind,

The absence of critical comments is not exactly conclusive proof that he is deleting such comments. But so what if he is -its his channel, so he decides what to keep.

Mc love said there were critical comments on the clip he linked. That is what I was responding to.

When he reports, you won't see the video published for months or even years.

I just seen the tagline at the start. I missed the date.

Wonder why right enough.

Mc love said there were critical comments on the clip he linked. That is what I was responding to.

He didn't mention comments at all.

I just seen the tagline at the start. I missed the date.

Wonder why right enough.

Looking at the video - I think he knew there wasnt enough evidence to convict.

The phone is shown between his legs (I am sure he was using it of course) - but I don't think the evidence was clear enough.

Fair enough to him for not wasting police time on that. He still couldn't help himself with the goading and the lecturing (fortunately the driver wasn't actually going to get in a fight, even although he threatened it - some other ****ty behaviour as well).

Looking at the video - I think he knew there wasnt enough evidence to convict.

The phone is shown between his legs (I am sure he was using it of course) - but I don't think the evidence was clear enough.

Fair enough to him for not wasting police time on that. He still couldn't help himself with the goading and the lecturing (fortunately the driver wasn't actually going to get in a fight, even although he threatened it - some other ****ty behaviour as well).

Seems fairly definitive to me

547459.jpg

though I'm not 100% clear on UK law, there is something in the Barrosso (sp?) judgement that requires evidence of messages being sent I think, which is why he often tries to see exactly what they are doing on the phone.

Seems fairly definitive to me

though I'm not 100% clear on UK law, there is something in the Barrosso (sp?) judgement that requires evidence of messages being sent I think, which is why he often tries to see exactly what they are doing on the phone.

That's why I said of course he was texting, but I don't think it constitutes enough evidence.

Finger not on the screen etc.

He didn't mention comments at all.

There was a debate about critical comments not being shown on mikeys clips, but sure you just read between the lines.

There was a debate about critical comments not being shown on mikeys clips, but sure you just read between the lines.

McLove didn't mention comments. "Like the constructive criticism on this one, yeah?? He didnt even report it, which shows he's not a bellend to some on here. He's doing great work"

• Advertisement

That's what I wanted to know.

Its the very top comment and its pinned too. Have a read through it.

here's today's recommendation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qklan0aVvE

I fear for the guy at this stage - its only a matter of time before someone does him serious damage.

(I don't want to get into the tugging the forelock nonsense again, I am just leaving it there as a statement)

Hiding in bushes, I suppose some muppet will say the police should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I fear for the guy at this stage - its only a matter of time before someone does him serious damage.

(I don't want to get into the tugging the forelock nonsense again, I am just leaving it there as a statement)

Nowt wrong with that. It's a junction well known for folks trying it on.

Cock in the Freelander was quick enough to get back in lane as he knew he was being a cock.

Also plenty of traffic coming up from the right of the picture that you couldn't possibly see when shaving that right turn, not just bikes.

MojoMaker wrote: »

Cock in the Range Rover was quick enough to get back in lane as he knew he was being a cock.

Also plenty of traffic coming up from the right of the picture that you couldn't possibly see when shaving that right turn, not just bikes.

F.Y.P.

• Advertisement

He is so full of sh1t. You could hear him already riled up as he ran out. He goes on about the guy being so aggressive which I didn’t see at all. Mikey was the only aggressive person in this clip. Guy hit the brakes, then reversed and got back into his lane and showed absolutely no signs of aggression. I don’t think he drove into mikey, to me it looks like he just lifted off the brake and the car moved forward which is what happens with automatic cars and if you are thick enough to remain standing in front of one then an accident can and will happen someday.

He is so full of sh1t. You could hear him already riled up as he ran out. He goes on about the guy being so aggressive which I didn’t see at all. Mikey was the only aggressive person in this clip. Guy hit the brakes, then reversed and got back into his lane and showed absolutely no signs of aggression. I don’t think he drove into mikey, to me it looks like he just lifted off the brake and the car moved forward which is what happens with automatic cars and if you are thick enough to remain standing in front of one then an accident can and will happen someday.

He certainly wasn't aggressive, a bad driver in that he panicked and lifted the foot off the brake, but not aggressive. He lifts his hand, reverses, doesn't open his mouth in anger. The driver was 100% in the wrong but Mickey is going to be accused by some of looking for a claim which is what I would have thought if someone done that to me. Like I said before, if he sat the camera there and just recorded them, most of them would be off the road by the end of the week as undoubtedly most of them would have been repeat offenders. What does he want, bad drivers off the road or youtube hits, he could have both is he stopped running out in front of people.

MojoMaker wrote: »

Cock in the Freelander was quick enough to get back in lane as he knew he was being a cock.

Once again, I am not disputing that the drivers are absolute c***s for doing the things Mikey catches them doing. He is right to report them.

I am saying Mikey will end up coming a cropper one day and end up seriously injured or worse. He is trying to stop cars with hands and body. Absolute lunacy.

yeah - the whole 'dan' business. The chip is really showing when it comes to private plates.
    If I knew him I would be having a word. I don't think a friend would let someone carry on like that. The guy has issues, has suffered a road side tragedy in the family and if he is not careful his family will see more grief. I am genuinely worried for him.

if he is not careful his family will see more grief.

You make a very valid point here.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's just me, but I'd have thought that, if you're driving an automatic car, you should have some idea of what happens when you lift your foot off the brake, and be capable of planning accordingly, like putting the car into neutral or reverse before lifting your foot? Honestly, if you're not capable of managing the vehicle in such circumstances, you shouldn't be behind the wheel. It's not really a great excuse for driving 2 or 3 tonnes of metal at a person, a human, someone's father, someone's brother.

But it is interesting to note the rush to excuse violence towards Mikey even in advance of it actually happening.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    He certainly wasn't aggressive, a bad driver in that he panicked and lifted the foot off the brake, but not aggressive. He lifts his hand, reverses, doesn't open his mouth in anger. The driver was 100% in the wrong but Mickey is going to be accused by some of looking for a claim which is what I would have thought if someone done that to me. Like I said before, if he sat the camera there and just recorded them, most of them would be off the road by the end of the week as undoubtedly most of them would have been repeat offenders. What does he want, bad drivers off the road or youtube hits, he could have both is he stopped running out in front of people.

Again, the YouTube hits are very likely to have a significant deterrent effect. It would never be possible to measure or prove this, but if 20k people see this video, there's a good chance that a few of them will decide not to drive on the wrong side of the road at this or any junction.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Again, the YouTube hits are very likely to have a significant deterrent effect. It would never be possible to measure or prove this, but if 20k people see this video, there's a good chance that a few of them will decide not to drive on the wrong side of the road at this or any junction.

You need to stop making these assumptions. You've already been warned. Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but you are repeatedly asking for proof from other posters and relying on nothing more than conjecture yourself.

There are millions upon millions of videos of bad and illegal behaviour, yet we still have it. You're at the "if it saves one life, please think of the children" end of the wedge now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

half the poxy youtube hits are probably stemming from this thread at this stage anyway.

Weepsie wrote: »
    You need to stop making these assumptions. You've already been warned. Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but you are repeatedly asking for proof from other posters and relying on nothing more than conjecture yourself.

There are millions upon millions of videos of bad and illegal behaviour, yet we still have it. You're at the "if it saves one life, please think of the children" end of the wedge now.

Yes, it absolutely is conjecture - a fairly reasonable conjecture.

Are you actually suggesting that, with a wide audience like 20k views, there isn't one viewer in there who is going to decide, on their next spin through Gandalf corner - "hang on - maybe yer man is behind the bushes again - I'll wait in the queue".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Those motorists have some neck,

"My journey is more important than yours" types. For that they deserve to be called out. If this guy wants to make it his crusade, I can't judge him for it. It is risky though.

The Met Police seem more open to accepting video than AGS, who seem to think video is only relevant for solving major crime or them entertaining the nation with gigs, steps and reels.

At least the Met tell the complainant the sanction issued to adriver. Whereas, here you rarely hear anything after the initial report. Maybe if they did not tell the outcome, he would loose interest?

Anyway, clearly they don't have an issue with what he is doing or they would advise or caution him to desist (which AGS would most likey do lest he provoke a person with violent tenancies.

It's a wonder the Met don't put a camera on that junction (Gandalfs corner). That would stop it, and possibly an assault or vehicular homicide.

With chaoitic driving very prevalent here, do we have our own Gandalfs corner anywhere? Phoenix Park can have a lot of cutting corners and general speeding, but to my knowledge, nothing like on Mikey clips.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd have thought that, if you're driving an automatic car, you should have some idea of what happens when you lift your foot off the brake, and be capable of planning accordingly, like putting the car into neutral or reverse before lifting your foot? Honestly, if you're not capable of managing the vehicle in such circumstances, you shouldn't be behind the wheel. It's not really a great excuse for driving 2 or 3 tonnes of metal at a person, a human, someone's father, someone's brother.

Yep you called it, it’s just you.
    Of course a driver knows what happens when he takes his foot off the brake.

But it is interesting to note the rush to excuse violence towards Mikey even in advance of it actually happening.

I think you mistakenly quoted me there? I don't think I excuse or justified arsehole behaviour from motorists at all?

The videos are showing (predictably) more aggression. Even more predictably Mikey is getting cockier.
    Excuse the pun but it's a car crash waiting to happen. I hope I am wrong. I don't want to see any harm to the guy as I believe his intentions started off well.

Looks like all the predictions that someone was going to physically respond to Mikey were correct.

https://twitter.com/MikeyCycling/status/1376878951553974275?s=19

Amazing how people that were in so much of a rush that they had to drive on the wrong side of the road seemingly have loads of time to hang around and debate the point.

Yes, it absolutely is conjecture - a fairly reasonable conjecture.

Are you actually suggesting that, with a wide audience like 20k views, there isn't one viewer in there who is going to decide, on their next spin through Gandalf corner - "hang on - maybe yer man is behind the bushes again - I'll wait in the queue".

I doubt many of 20k are motorists who drive that place. I bet most are cyclists and or keyboard heros

"Have you not seen the viral videos" LOL, no, its a few thousand views in a city of millions a good chunk of those views are probably from Ireland at the minute.

This said, it is funny how many of them persist in engaging with him, they are morons. You see the smart ones immediately pull back in, but the ones who persist, you have to wonder the mentality. They would have been through the junction. I still say if his only interest was safety though he would simply sit there and film and report. That said, luckily for him he isn't in Ireland or he would have to go to court each time of the gardai even bothered and a judge or garda would blame him for some of the incidents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement