Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

buffalo wrote: »
    Have you ever reported a driver for using a mobile? Do you know how time-draining and soul-crushing that experience is?

1 Make call to TrafficWatch (optional)
    2 Receive call from Garda (only if 1 done)
    3 Go to station and hope right Garda is available
    4 Slowly describe what you saw so that the Garda can write it all down
    5 Be asked if you're prepared to go to court for this
    6 Sign the statement
    7 Never hear from Garda again
    8 Ring station repeatedly
    9 Maybe find out that the driver said they were only holding a calculator to their ear, and sure it's your word against theirs.

OR

1 Bang on the driver's window and call them a wanker

At least Mikey can just upload a video and be done with it.

Whichever you choose, the motorist will think you're a pr!ck cyclist. Albeit difficult, reporting is probably the better way to go, a few points and a fine might make drivers behave better, banging on windows only creates more animosity between motorists and cyclists.
    Some arguments just aren't worth the hassle. Career reporters actively look for arguments. It's a bit sad really, just get out and enjoy the ride.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    Have you ever reported a driver for using a mobile? Do you know how time-draining and soul-crushing that experience is?

1 Make call to TrafficWatch (optional)
    2 Receive call from Garda (only if 1 done)
    3 Go to station and hope right Garda is available
    4 Slowly describe what you saw so that the Garda can write it all down
    5 Be asked if you're prepared to go to court for this
    6 Sign the statement
    7 Never hear from Garda again
    8 Ring station repeatedly
    9 Maybe find out that the driver said they were only holding a calculator to their ear, and sure it's your word against theirs.

And that's when it goes well, if you go to the Garda thread over in the AMA forum, you see why being a Garda is such a soul crushing experience. The sooner they bring in a self submit video site for infractions, take a typed statement there and have it reviewed by a civilian force the better. Even the smallest of crimes have to be effectively ignored to allow Gardai to function because they all take so much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cletus wrote: »
    I think thats also debatable. If punishment was an absolute deterrent, then the old "chop the hand off" routine would long ago have stamped out thievery

I said "fewer " and you moved the goalposts to "absolute deterrent ". No one claimed absolute deterrent, but he absolutely has taken dangerous drivers off the road, with a few disqualifications. He's also got a ****load of fines and points issued, which must result in fewer drivers using their phones.

FinnC wrote: »
    I love cycling but there are plenty of cyclists that I don’t like.
    This guy Mikey is one of them.

At a guess, he doesn't give a toss if you like him or approve of his methods. If you cycle in London, you will have fewer dangerous drivers around you as a result of his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

And he's probably doing it all to get videos of down womens tops bit like that cycledub creep

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    And he's probably doing it all to get videos of down womens tops bit like that cycledub creep

Projecting much?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Eamonnator wrote: »
    He's a bellend.
    :)
    /Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

it all reminds me of that pair above in Dublin a few years ago ."OH MY GOD! I'm a woman on my own!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I think he gives us all a bad name. The man's a bellend and I'm surprised he's never had a good smack in the mouth for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

hes getting a good few views on his videos.. hes making a few pound off it i bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

At a guess, he doesn't give a toss if you like him or approve of his methods. If you cycle in London, you will have fewer dangerous drivers around you as a result of his actions.

Ya but fellas hiding in hedges around London with a camera is also gonna scare the sh1t out of a load of women and maybe get you arrested.

I'll take the roads in London as they are over a load of wanna Capt. Americas jumping out of hedges disposing vigilante justice

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    I think he gives us all a bad name. The man's a bellend and I'm surprised he's never had a good smack in the mouth for his actions.

Do the drivers using their phones give all us drivers a bad name?

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ya but fellas hiding in hedges around London with a camera is also gonna scare the sh1t out of a load of women and maybe get you arrested.

I'll take the roads in London as they are over a load of wanna Capt. Americas jumping out of hedges disposing vigilante justice

You might want to look up the definition of "vigilante" because this isn't it - quite the reverse in fact.

As for the "scaring women" card, really?

You might want to look up the definition of "vigilante" because this isn't it - quite the reverse in fact.

Ya really. People hanging round bushes are usually creeps.

It's London he could easily stand on the street corner with his phone and do the exact same thing but not look like a weirdo. It's mostly the theatrics I have an issue with but also transfer it to other walks of life, would you feel the same if some clown stood next to a cycle lane and jumped in front of bikes every time someone didn't stop at a red, indicate or have lights on.

You definitely wouldn't accept the latter Renko as anyone who calls out any cyclists regardless of the situation is the devil in your eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Recent events

https://www.rte.ie/news/uk/2021/0310/1203045-sarah-everard-london/

Cressida Dick sounds like the medical term for Cycling Mikey

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

This cycling mikey guy sounds like a terrorist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

I said "fewer " and you moved the goalposts to "absolute deterrent ". No one claimed absolute deterrent, but he absolutely has taken dangerous drivers off the road, with a few disqualifications. He's also got a ****load of fines and points issued, which must result in fewer drivers using their phones.

Sorry. I think if you look at my posting history here, my arguments and discussions are made in good faith.

When I said absolute deterrent, I meant in terms of the people actually caught. Yes, some of them might moderate their behaviour, but I was thinking in terms of people who have 6 or 9 points on their licence for speeding. Obviously the first round of points did nothing to deter them from doing the same thing again.

So, the phrase "absolute deterrent" might have been misplaced.

However, I don't think I'm wrong in saying your point is debatable. Unless you have figures, you can't really claim it as fact.

Just as in your quoted post above, where you say it "must result". Again, this is a debatable point, insofar as people can discuss and debate it

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    This cycling mikey guy sounds like a terrorist

Probably a little over the top there but it did get me thinking, if Mikey was any colour other than white and was jumping out in front of cars screaming it wouldn't be long before the police took him out a la de Menezes in Stockwell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

In the eyes of some people, of course it does.

How many people like to generalise? "All taxi drivers are pricks" "All car drivers are arseholes" "All Cyclists are pavement riding nazis"
    Is this generalisation wrong, absolutely.

But - behaviour like Cycling Mikey does little to counteract this.
    He is doing some good (by reporting certain actions - and it great that he puts the time in and there is a system to do so) but goes on to throw some petrol on the constant "us vs them" fire by engaging, resorting to name calling, condescending.
    Why engage after filming? I could speculate that generally because he gets off on it and has a bit of an attitude (understandably because of his father being killed I think i read?) but regardless of his intentions is absolutely solidifies the view of "All cyclists are arseholes" in the eyes of some. And that is not good as the next time they have a close encounter with a cyclist they will be likely to take revenge/ punishment pass/ jump on the horn etc etc

I am not sure if you are disputing this, disagreeing with that outcome or disputing the fact that he does resort to name calling and driver engagement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think the minute you start going around filming people is probably the moment you have to ask yourself if you've begun to lose all sense of proportion.

Is this really how you want to spend your time? And by looking for confrontation, aren't you just ruining your enjoyment of cycling?

Not very much for drivers as they are in the majority but does a minority ethnic/group/creed/race committing an act or crime give the rest of their counterparts a bad name? I'll think you find, yes, it does.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Not very much for drivers as they are in the majority but does minority ethnic/group/creed/race commiting a crime give the rest of their counterparts a bad name? I'll think you find, yes, it does.

So collective responsibility only applies to minority groups then? And you think we should just accept the application of collective responsibility to minority groups, or should we say "nah, that's a load of bull, so I'm not going to accept that "?

cletus wrote: »
    Sorry. I think if you look at my posting history here, my arguments and discussions are made in good faith.

When I said absolute deterrent, I meant in terms of the people actually caught. Yes, some of them might moderate their behaviour, but I was thinking in terms of people who have 6 or 9 points on their licence for speeding. Obviously the first round of points did nothing to deter them from doing the same thing again.

So, the phrase "absolute deterrent" might have been misplaced.

However, I don't think I'm wrong in saying your point is debatable. Unless you have figures, you can't really claim it as fact.

Just as in your quoted post above, where you say it "must result". Again, this is a debatable point, insofar as people can discuss and debate it

It's a fact. He has got drivers disqualified, including Guy Ritchie. His actions resulted in fewer dangerous drivers on London roads.

It's not debatable. It's a fact.

So collective responsibility only applies to minority groups then? And you think we should just accept the application of collective responsibility to minority groups, or should we say "nah, that's a load of bull, so I'm not going to accept that "?

Collective responsibility applies to all but its a lot easier to target minority groups.

It's a fact. He has got drivers disqualified, including Guy Ritchie. His actions resulted in fewer dangerous drivers on London roads.

It's not debatable. It's a fact.

It's a fact he got drivers done.
    Is it a fact that points and a fine are a strong enough deterent (it's not as black and white, as we do get repeat offenders)?
    Is it necessary to get in drivers faces and start with the attitude after filming? That's the main thing people have a problem with and it's certainly the most debatable in terms of impact.

But we all know cyclists who are like this, thankfully they are the minority..

km991148 wrote: »
    In the eyes of some people, of course it does.

How many people like to generalise? "All taxi drivers are pricks" "All car drivers are arseholes" "All Cyclists are pavement riding nazis"
    Is this generalisation wrong, absolutely.

For a substantial length of time there recently I was all of the following at the same time:
    • A cyclist
    • A landlord
    • A civil servant
    • An Audi driver
    • A student

It really opened my eyes to the amount of acceptable hatred that goes with each of those labels, and has made me reevaluate my own cognitive dissonance and selective bias in plenty of areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's a fact. He has got drivers disqualified, including Guy Ritchie. His actions resulted in fewer dangerous drivers on London roads....
    A 6 month driving ban for Richie seems very harsh for texting while stopped in traffic considering that there are so much more dangerous things going on.

For a substantial length of time there recently I was all of the following at the same time:
    • A cyclist
    • A landlord
    • A civil servant
    • An Audi driver
    • A student

It really opened my eyes to the amount of acceptable hatred that goes with each of those labels, and has made me reevaluate my own cognitive dissonance and selective bias in plenty of areas.

Absolutely! But a lot of people (and yes I'm generalising as well!) can't see beyond the generalisations.. and for these people, winding them up further is just going to kick that hatred down the line to the next unfortunate soul.

Should it be that way.. preferably not, but it is and to pretend that winding people up is not happening or doesn't have an effect is just ignorant (and again I stress I'm 100percent in favour of him making the reports in the first place, just leave out the attitude).

• Advertisement

A 6 month driving ban for Richie seems very harsh for texting while stopped in traffic considering that there are so much more dangerous things going on.

Probably totting up..

You do see a wide difference in penalties tho. Some get the awareness course*, others get the full 6 and a fine, but even the fines vary a good bit.

*Probably more likely in certain situations like first offence. I know with speeding it's a case of a course if you are a little bit over, but if too far over no course, straight to points!

Advertisement