Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

km991148 wrote: »
    I understand he is motivated by something, but there is also an element of him doing the policing which doesn't really work out.

Film some evidence, report it fair enough. Inserting you in the middle of it (i.e. knocking on the windows and having a word with drivers, calling them a wanker, catching up with them a mile down the road and giving an earful) isn't doing anyone any favours and more likely to further divide drivers and cyclists (i.e. paint a target on other cyclists back).

You have no authority cycling mikey!

Doing something illegal or not anyone jumping out of bushes at you is gonna lead you only one conclusion and that is that you are dealing with a lunatic and I wouldn't be surprised if someone goes straight through him out of sheer panic some day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Doing something illegal or not anyone jumping out of bushes at you is gonna lead you only one conclusion and that is that you are dealing with a lunatic and I wouldn't be surprised if someone goes straight through him out of sheer panic some day

yeah the bush thing is likely to get him a hiding.

But the 'engagement' when on the bike and lecturing in a condescending tone.. that just makes life worse for everyone on a bike as it reenforces negative stereotypes of "Arsehole entitled cyclists".

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I can't find a video of it but I do recall Billy Connolly discussing how cyclists could get "Penile Numbness" and a discreet massage would be necessary whilst oun the saddle.

It's from his "wreck on tour" concert, I'm now determined to find the video, but here's an audio clip.

https://www.madmusic.com/samples/b/i/Billy_Connolly_-_Penile_Numbness.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

buffalo wrote: »
    I don't know, it's quite satisfying to see people like this get what's coming to them. Love the entitlement of shouting while being ticketed/charged by a police officer "mate I've got to go to work" like it's a valid excuse.

I'm not condoning the drivers, and if I happened to be cycling down this street and someone decided to drive at me the wrong way, I'd let them know my feelings on the matter (briefly. I don't see the point in extensive arguments when I've somewhere to be). But hiding in the bushes all day long is a bit sad.

Breezer wrote: »
    I'm not condoning the drivers, and if I happened to be cycling down this street and someone decided to drive at me the wrong way, I'd let them know my feelings on the matter (briefly. I don't see the point in extensive arguments when I've somewhere to be). But hiding in the bushes all day long is a bit sad.

If I was one of the cyclists passing by I would drive down the middle to F him off. Wouldn't jump out a hedge though and I know we can see his arm but Mikey strikes me as the kind who would do all this dressed as Batman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I don't know, it's quite satisfying to see people like this get what's coming to them. Love the entitlement of shouting while being ticketed/charged by a police officer "mate I've got to go to work" like it's a valid excuse.

He doesn’t usually blur them like that, wonder why he did this time and then he calls out the number plate anyway!!!

One of these days someone like your man is just going to go a little further than a nudge and go right through him.

At the end yer one was probably giving him the finger and not a thumbs up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I wonder where he gets his authority to stop and direct traffic.
    He's not a Policeman in uniform.
    Maybe he's herding cattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Fair enough, maybe not as bad as cycling mikey but I do think rightobikeit is a bit of an antagonist ready to pounce any hint trouble. FWIW I live in Cork and know the roads to drive and cycle on.

100% agree. I try to avoid him but a lot of the videos I see are from Carrs Hill, a road I've not cycled on in 10 years, because it's totally unsuitable for cyclists.

I'm well aware that cyclists HAVE EVERY RIGHT etc but the point is that that road is the only route between Carrigaline/Ringaskiddy and Cork city/pretty much everywhere else. It is extremely busy, 100km speed limit and not wide enough to overtake on and honestly, it's not fair to other road users to cycle on it. Instead of taking the many parallel, quieter roads leading to Donnybrook or Douglas, he chooses to go on that road, and I'm convinced it's for StickyBottle and Jeremy Vine retweets. Yes, he has every right to go on that road, but a little give and take helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think I'd prefer cycling mickey to cycling mikey.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

100% agree. I try to avoid him but a lot of the videos I see are from Carrs Hill, a road I've not cycled on in 10 years, because it's totally unsuitable for cyclists.

I'm well aware that cyclists HAVE EVERY RIGHT etc but the point is that that road is the only route between Carrigaline/Ringaskiddy and Cork city/pretty much everywhere else. It is extremely busy, 100km speed limit and not wide enough to overtake on and honestly, it's not fair to other road users to cycle on it. Instead of taking the many parallel, quieter roads leading to Donnybrook or Douglas, he chooses to go on that road, and I'm convinced it's for StickyBottle and Jeremy Vine retweets. Yes, he has every right to go on that road, but a little give and take helps.

THIS. My mrs is learning to drive, she wouldn't drive Carr's hill, never mind cycle it, yet he chooses to cycle it on almost a daily basis. There are far more pleasant options that take pretty much the same length of time but righttobikeit won't get any youtube likes from going the other options.
    Yeah, it's his right to cycle where he wants but I think we all want to get home safe when we hit the roads and have a choice to make about route options, he chooses the most difficult routes so that he can upload to youtube, he looks for trouble, safety is way down his priority list. I now take any legitimate videos of his with a pinch of salt unfortunately.

To put it in other words, in Cork he'd be known as a langer.

• Advertisement

Of course, now I've ended up watching a good few of his videos..

Some are funny enough. The entitled 'doctors' in the Volvo and nabbing Guy Ritchie were kinda funny..

Still think it's only a matter of time before he gets a kicking and no need for the attitude..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seve OB wrote: »
    Any of you guys seen this fellas You Tube channel and whatever other platform he posts on? I'm all for seeing road users who break the laws/rules get punished, but this guy goes way to far. I should point out before anyone gets the wrong impression that I do believe if someone is breaking the law they should be punished. While I have absolutely no sympathy for some of these drivers, it's Mickeys attitude and the way he goes about his business and some of his "collars" is what I despise.

The first few of his videos which I seen left me kind of impressed with him to be honest, but that's because they were genuine enough going about his daily business and coming across absolute assholes.

But then you look at what he actually does, he has targeted a few locations where he can shoot some fish in a barrel. He purposely just goes out to catch motorists breaking the law, which some will commend him for and some of the absolute tossers he has caught most definitely deserved their punishment, but most of them are quite innocent and Mickey is just on a bit of a power trip. He cycles up and down gridlocked traffic to try and catch someone who might be checking their messages/maps whatever. These are stationary cars who are not moving anywhere. He sneaks up on them and if they don't twig him looking through their window he might read out their text/private information. He calls out their reg number in the phonetic alphabet as if he is on the Bill. He stands behind bushes with his helmet cam on ready to jump out at unsuspecting road users. He speaks to them like he is their superior.

I am surprised I haven't seen any comments on his videos which slate him off for what he does, but I guess he probably just gets them deleted. I have only seen one video of his where someone shouted some stick at him for doing what he does. I'm surprised he hasn't had more threats, although maybe he just keeps those clips to himself or I'd say it would be more likely that he is trying to get people prosecuted for threating behaviour.

I'm surprised he hasn't been slapped around a bit or had his bike nicked (although maybe he has). All in all, I find him to be a very unlikable person, slithery and sneaky.

What do you think of him and they way he conducts his operations?

Just to be clear, when you say "quite innocent", you mean "deliberately breaking traffic laws", right?

I think you've made up the bit about him reading out private information, am I right?

I think you've made up the bit about him reading out private information, am I right?

Nope

Nope

Can you link to the video in question please?

Can you link to the video in question please?

I’ve seen him do it on more than a few occasions. I’m not searching through his stuff looking for it or I’d be looking for hours

I’ve seen him do it on more than a few occasions. I’m not searching through his stuff looking for it or I’d be looking for hours

So you did make it up then.

He will often state what activity is being done on the phone, which is a relevant factor for prosecution under UK law - he's Whatsapping or he's doing email or whatever. He's never breached privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Macer123 wrote: »
    ... he told a driver using a mobile phone while driving that his father had been killed by a drunk driver. He continued and equated drink driving with driving while using a mobile. This maybe his motivation !!!
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    4 times more likely to crash when driving and using your phone according to the RSA.....
    4 times more likely than who/what?

4 times more likely to crash compared to sober drivers not using a phone or 4 times more likely to crash compared to drunk drivers?

The problem with a lot of these clips is that by 'raising awareness' or catching people in a way that gets people's back up (i.e. name calling someone an arrogant phone using idiot etc) is that you ultimately make thing's worse. The driver who has an argument with a cyclist trying to uphold the law without authority isn't suddenly going to change their ways or look at their own behaviour and certainly won't be sympathetic towards people cycling (and probably more likely to be more aggressive towards cyclists in the future).

I'm not saying think about the poor offenders feelings or anything. By all means report those close passes and all the other crap. But don't go out your way to antagonise.

Same question as Seve - can you link to an example of where he calls people arrogant or gets into an argument please? He appears to be remarkably calm under significant pressure in his videos that I've seen.

Same question as Seve - can you link to an example of where he calls people arrogant or gets into an argument please? He appears to be remarkably calm under significant pressure in his videos that I've seen.

He regularly chases people down for a chat. Often calm but sometimes passive aggressive. Seem him chase down a fella when he was on the eBike. Called him a wanker and followed on for s good bit to shout through the window.

Film and report, great. Calmly explain what you are doing if asked fine. Taunting people and trying to engage with them after has less value and often a negative effect.

(You asked for the example if where he called someone arrogant. I didn't bookmark it at the time and I've watched too many of his videos at this stage to remember. From memory it was off the long cycle lane and not gandalf corner, but he does it often enough. I'm not disputing phone use is arrogant or entitled btw just that telling someone that after catching them out is likely to achieve nothing other that an argument and a lasting impression that cyclists are areoles - oh and maybe some self validation. What it will not do is suddenly correct the behaviour of the driver)

He regularly chases people down for a chat. Often calm but sometimes passive aggressive. Seem him chase down a fella when he was on the eBike. Called him a wanker and followed on for s good bit to shout through the window.

Film and report, great. Calmly explain what you are doing if asked fine. Taunting people and trying to engage with them after has less value and often a negative effect.

Can you link to that video please?

• Advertisement

4 times more likely than who/what?

4 times more likely to crash compared to sober drivers not using a phone or 4 times more likely to crash compared to drunk drivers?

Don't know I'm not the RSA it's just something I pulled after 10 seconds of googling. I'm sure there is more info out there

Can you link to that video please?

I just edited the post to describe the video - sorry overlap in posting!

Edit, same story with the wanker one but it was on the electric bike, sun behind him and you could clearly see the wanker sign. Again, driver was and I'd probably do the same. But then the follow up a mile or so down the road.. for what?

yeah went back again but cant find them.. they are in there somewhere, but I have already spent too much time on this channel :pac:

I did come across the one where a kid called him a (unt and he went back looking for the argument including trying to wind them up when he was back on the bike telling them to grow a pair (teenagers ffs).

I stick by it - he is doing a great job reporting the arseholes but he is not helping the greater good with his attitude and followups, and he will more than likely get a kicking at some point.

Meanwhile the rest of us have to put up with even more aggression as a result.

Meanwhile the rest of us have to put up with even more aggression as a result.

That's debatable.

But it is absolutely certain that the rest of us will be sharing the road with fewer drivers using their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

But it is absolutely certain that the rest of us will be sharing the road with fewer drivers using their phones.

I think thats also debatable. If punishment was an absolute deterrent, then the old "chop the hand off" routine would long ago have stamped out thievery

That's debatable.

Sure - anything is debatable, but it is my strong opinion that winding people up leads to aggression and enforcing negative stereotypes against cyclists including further division and the creation of an us vs them attitude.

Based on your previous posts I know you don't necessarily agree.

Besides - the "fewer drivers using phones" can happen without confrontation - just report it. The problem is he feels he needs to follow up and engage and tell them off (often in a condescending manner, or at lease a manner which could be perceived as such by the offender).

What happens to you when someone tells you how to behave on the road (irrespective of whether or not you were in the right?). Its basic human behaviour.

cletus wrote: »
    I think thats also debatable. If punishment was an absolute deterrent, then the old "chop the hand off" routine would long ago have stamped out thievery

It is debatable, but more than likely there will be some kind of decrease in phone use. Some people its such a habit tho and it wont change. Others feel entitled and will spitefully continue on doing what they want. Others will be reminded of the prick cyclist that got them points every time they see a cyclists.

Regardless - report away, don't be a prick about it after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Besides - the "fewer drivers using phones" can happen without confrontation - just report it. The problem is he feels he needs to follow up and engage and tell them off (often in a condescending manner, or at lease a manner which could be perceived as such by the offender).

Have you ever reported a driver for using a mobile? Do you know how time-draining and soul-crushing that experience is?

1 Make call to TrafficWatch (optional)
    2 Receive call from Garda (only if 1 done)
    3 Go to station and hope right Garda is available
    4 Slowly describe what you saw so that the Garda can write it all down
    5 Be asked if you're prepared to go to court for this
    6 Sign the statement
    7 Never hear from Garda again
    8 Ring station repeatedly
    9 Maybe find out that the driver said they were only holding a calculator to their ear, and sure it's your word against theirs.

OR

1 Bang on the driver's window and call them a wanker

At least Mikey can just upload a video and be done with it.

Have you ever reported a driver for using a mobile? Do you know how time-draining and soul-crushing that experience is?

1 Make call to TrafficWatch (optional)
    2 Receive call from Garda (only if 1 done)
    3 Go to station and hope right Garda is available
    4 Slowly describe what you saw so that the Garda can write it all down
    5 Be asked if you're prepared to go to court for this
    6 Sign the statement
    7 Never hear from Garda again
    8 Ring station repeatedly
    9 Maybe find out that the driver said they were only holding a calculator to their ear, and sure it's your word against theirs.

OR

1 Bang on the driver's window and call them a wanker

At least Mikey can just upload a video and be done with it.

I've done both (and lots more of the later) - it doesn't help anything except myself in the moment.

I think if he wants to get more people done for phone use and genuinely help then reporting it using the (frankly brilliant) system they have over there then great. But he wants to get people caught AND exercise some sort of self validation or feel like hes an authority figure or wants good clips or some other ****. Most of the time the follow up conversation he has is not worth it (and in my opinion just winds people up - sure most of the time when there isn't a queue of traffic the driver ends up booting it down the street - great so now you have someone pissed off in charge of a vehicle - but hey - Mikey gets some good footage for YT)

Report the dicks, but in general - be more like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FEO-XKo4cw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

I love cycling but there are plenty of cyclists that I don’t like.
    This guy Mikey is one of them.

Advertisement