Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling Mikey

• 09-03-2021 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭

Any of you guys seen this fellas You Tube channel and whatever other platform he posts on? I'm all for seeing road users who break the laws/rules get punished, but this guy goes way to far. I should point out before anyone gets the wrong impression that I do believe if someone is breaking the law they should be punished. While I have absolutely no sympathy for some of these drivers, it's Mickeys attitude and the way he goes about his business and some of his "collars" is what I despise.

The first few of his videos which I seen left me kind of impressed with him to be honest, but that's because they were genuine enough going about his daily business and coming across absolute assholes.

But then you look at what he actually does, he has targeted a few locations where he can shoot some fish in a barrel. He purposely just goes out to catch motorists breaking the law, which some will commend him for and some of the absolute tossers he has caught most definitely deserved their punishment, but most of them are quite innocent and Mickey is just on a bit of a power trip. He cycles up and down gridlocked traffic to try and catch someone who might be checking their messages/maps whatever. These are stationary cars who are not moving anywhere. He sneaks up on them and if they don't twig him looking through their window he might read out their text/private information. He calls out their reg number in the phonetic alphabet as if he is on the Bill. He stands behind bushes with his helmet cam on ready to jump out at unsuspecting road users. He speaks to them like he is their superior.

I am surprised I haven't seen any comments on his videos which slate him off for what he does, but I guess he probably just gets them deleted. I have only seen one video of his where someone shouted some stick at him for doing what he does. I'm surprised he hasn't had more threats, although maybe he just keeps those clips to himself or I'd say it would be more likely that he is trying to get people prosecuted for threating behaviour.

I'm surprised he hasn't been slapped around a bit or had his bike nicked (although maybe he has). All in all, I find him to be a very unlikable person, slithery and sneaky.

What do you think of him and they way he conducts his operations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd never heard of him before this, so I looked it up on YouTube. The first two videos were him standing I a hedge at a particular corner that seems to have a lot of people doing stupid/illegal things

On the one hand, he's catching people breaking the law. On the other hand, he's spending his time standing in bushes waiting to catch people break the law. I have to think there's more personally fulfilling ways to spend your time. Perhaps with a loved one, or taking part in a hobby, or learning a new skill.

The biggest disappointment in all of this is that YouTube are now going to recommend his videos to me until the end of time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

cletus wrote: »
    The biggest disappointment in all of this is that YouTube are now going to recommend his videos to me until the end of time

Lol, welcome to my world!

But you have summed up my opinions pretty well there

Seve OB wrote: »
    Lol, welcome to my world!

Well, I'm blaming you, Seve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

The problem with a lot of these clips is that by 'raising awareness' or catching people in a way that gets people's back up (i.e. name calling someone an arrogant phone using idiot etc) is that you ultimately make thing's worse. The driver who has an argument with a cyclist trying to uphold the law without authority isn't suddenly going to change their ways or look at their own behaviour and certainly won't be sympathetic towards people cycling (and probably more likely to be more aggressive towards cyclists in the future).

I'm not saying think about the poor offenders feelings or anything. By all means report those close passes and all the other crap. But don't go out your way to antagonise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I thought this was going to be a medical advice thread.

• Advertisement

Also, I think his name is Mikey, not Mickey, if a mod wants to amend the title...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, was just coming in to ask about that.
    i had the forewarning to open it in a private window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

Also, I think his name is Mikey, not Mickey, if a mod wants to amend the title...

I thought it was deliberate clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was full sure it was someone with a saddle issue like the cycling version of tennis elbow.

Also got to love this thinking
    "motorists breaking the law" followed by "but most of them are quite innocent"
    God bless those innocent law breakers

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

righttobikeit in Cork is exactly the same. Fair enough he's submitting lots of videos and motorists are getting fined but some of his videos, he's the antagonist looking for trouble. There's a few videos where he gets himself into some sticky situations due his self-righteousness and is lucky not to come out without an injury, he shows complete lack of awareness of his behavior and very poor etiquette on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I remember his video from last year. I'm all for better enforcement, but he's going out of his way to look for anything no matter how minor, and I'd wager his own road use is far from perfect.

Reminded me a bit of that cycledub chap from years gone by. He'd be calling out the most inane of things, and then doing something incredibly stupid themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    righttobikeit in Cork is exactly the same. Fair enough he's submitting lots of videos and motorists are getting fined but some of his videos, he's the antagonist looking for trouble. There's a few videos where he gets himself into some sticky situations due his self-righteousness and is lucky not to come out without an injury, he shows complete lack of awareness of his behavior and very poor etiquette on the road.
    I don't think righttobikeit is that bad, I'll admit most of what he gives out about I ignore daily but I really shouldn't, with one or two exceptions. I don't think he looks for it but could be wrong. It's easy found and if I had the time or cared, I could probably generate as many videos with ease, I just don't have time. The few videos I have put on youtube take so long to upload and the few complaints I have made to Gardai are such a pain in the arse to follow through, the system has me bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Seve OB wrote: »
    Any of you guys seen this fellas You Tube channel and whatever other platform he posts on? I'm all for seeing road users who break the laws/rules get punished, but this guy goes way to far. I should point out before anyone gets the wrong impression that I do believe if someone is breaking the law they should be punished. While I have absolutely no sympathy for some of these drivers, it's Mickeys attitude and the way he goes about his business and some of his "collars" is what I despise.

The first few of his videos which I seen left me kind of impressed with him to be honest, but that's because they were genuine enough going about his daily business and coming across absolute assholes.

But then you look at what he actually does, he has targeted a few locations where he can shoot some fish in a barrel. He purposely just goes out to catch motorists breaking the law, which some will commend him for and some of the absolute tossers he has caught most definitely deserved their punishment, but most of them are quite innocent and Mickey is just on a bit of a power trip. He cycles up and down gridlocked traffic to try and catch someone who might be checking their messages/maps whatever. These are stationary cars who are not moving anywhere. He sneaks up on them and if they don't twig him looking through their window he might read out their text/private information. He calls out their reg number in the phonetic alphabet as if he is on the Bill. He stands behind bushes with his helmet cam on ready to jump out at unsuspecting road users. He speaks to them like he is their superior.

I am surprised I haven't seen any comments on his videos which slate him off for what he does, but I guess he probably just gets them deleted. I have only seen one video of his where someone shouted some stick at him for doing what he does. I'm surprised he hasn't had more threats, although maybe he just keeps those clips to himself or I'd say it would be more likely that he is trying to get people prosecuted for threating behaviour.

I'm surprised he hasn't been slapped around a bit or had his bike nicked (although maybe he has). All in all, I find him to be a very unlikable person, slithery and sneaky.

What do you think of him and they way he conducts his operations?

He's a bellend.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I don't think righttobikeit is that bad, I'll admit most of what he gives out about I ignore daily but I really shouldn't, with one or two exceptions. I don't think he looks for it but could be wrong. It's easy found and if I had the time or cared, I could probably generate as many videos with ease, I just don't have time. The few videos I have put on youtube take so long to upload and the few complaints I have made to Gardai are such a pain in the arse to follow through, the system has me bet.

I've seen righttobikeit get into a situation where he could have been really injured due to his self-righteousness. A motorist in front him flashed another so that it could exit onto a road. Anyone with half a brain could have read the situation and held back but he decided to keep going and get himself into a situation where he could have been really hurt, he has very poor reading of the road.
    I've also seen him cycle the wrong way down one way streets and take videos of cars on footpaths and then later delete the video when called out on it.
    He never sees himself do any wrong and has very little awareness of his own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Tip: when you see a vid in your suggestions that you don't want to see more of, click on the three dots to the right of the video title and choose 'Not Interested' in the drop-down menu.

PS: Yerman Mickey is just antagonising people, and leading to more division and labelling of Us and Them. There are enough unintentionally-collected videos of morons in cars (and on bikes) doing stupid stuff, no need to pro-actively collect more.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Tip: when you see a vid in your suggestions that you don't want to see more of, click on the three dots to the right of the video title and choose 'Not Interested' in the drop-down menu

Thanks for that, type17.

It would seem my attempt at humour has fallen somewhat short :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It would seem my attempt at humour has fallen somewhat short :D

Fair enough, but you'd be surprised how many people haven't spotted that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

When I first saw one or two of his videos, I thought he was great. Like others have said, when I realised there was a whole series of him waiting in the bushes all day to ambush people, I decided he was a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I clicked on the thread thinking it was about saddle fit......:D

Fair enough, but you'd be surprised how many people haven't spotted that :o

It doesn't always work tho.. as you might then get served up similar videos by different publishers because you have effectively just told them what might be controversial for you... Something controversial pops up and you click. Job done, advert has been served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Macer123

Watched one of Mikey's videos recently where he told a driver using a mobile phone while driving that his father had been killed by a drunk driver. He continued and equated drink driving with driving while using a mobile. This maybe his motivation !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    righttobikeit in Cork is exactly the same.
    from the 30s i've seen of cycling mikey, i don't really see it; righttobikeit is out using the roads, armed with a camera used as a defensive weapon, so to speak. cyclingmikey uses it as an offensive weapon, he seems to set out to actively catch people misbehaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Macer123 wrote: »
    Watched one of Mikey's videos recently where he told a driver using a mobile phone while driving that his father had been killed by a drunk driver. He continued and equated drink driving with driving while using a mobile. This maybe his motivation !!!

4 times more likely to crash when driving and using your phone according to the RSA so not a small issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

I don't know, it's quite satisfying to see people like this get what's coming to them. Love the entitlement of shouting while being ticketed/charged by a police officer "mate I've got to go to work" like it's a valid excuse.

from the 30s i've seen of cycling mikey, i don't really see it; righttobikeit is out using the roads, armed with a camera used as a defensive weapon, so to speak. cyclingmikey uses it as an offensive weapon, he seems to set out to actively catch people misbehaving.

Fair enough, maybe not as bad as cycling mikey but I do think rightobikeit is a bit of an antagonist ready to pounce any hint trouble. FWIW I live in Cork and know the roads to drive and cycle on.

Macer123 wrote: »

I understand he is motivated by something, but there is also an element of him doing the policing which doesn't really work out.

Film some evidence, report it fair enough. Inserting you in the middle of it (i.e. knocking on the windows and having a word with drivers, calling them a wanker, catching up with them a mile down the road and giving an earful) isn't doing anyone any favours and more likely to further divide drivers and cyclists (i.e. paint a target on other cyclists back).

You have no authority cycling mikey!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i read the title as cycling "mickey"

i thought someone was suffering from numb penis syndrome after long cycles

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fryup wrote: »
    i read the title as cycling "mickey"

i thought someone was suffering from numb penis syndrome after long cycles
    I can't find a video of it but I do recall Billy Connolly discussing how cyclists could get "Penile Numbness" and a discreet massage would be necessary whilst oun the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Yerman Mickey is just antagonising people, and leading to more division and labelling of Us and Them. There are enough unintentionally-collected videos of morons in cars (and on bikes) doing stupid stuff, no need to pro-actively collect more.

nothing better to do with his time? just another busybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

breezy1985 wrote: »
    4 times more likely to crash when driving and using your phone according to the RSA so not a small issue

Won’t argue with you. It pisses me off when I see gob****es driving down the M50 or wherever who are texting or whatever.

But FFS when a car is stopped in heavy traffic jam the way Mikey pounces he needs to leave well enough alone.

Advertisement