Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whey protein to maintain muscle mass?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

The study you referenced said nothing about excess protein causing a decrease in MPS. It suggested excess BCAAs might but EAAs are the limiting factor. Whey protein would have both BCAAs and EAAs. You're confusing protein and BCAAs (and taurine) somehow. And you've misunderstood/misinterpreted any studies you have linked so far.

Reading scientific studies not easy it takes time to read between the lines. Don't worry about that.

Another study

Excess amount of protein also cause of Disorders and health risks
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4045293/

A scoop of whey made with water is ~ 135 calories.

They put on weight because they had a poor diet. Not because of whey.

Nope. They put on the weight of consuming too much protein.
    Excess amino acids get converted to carbohydrates or fat. Thus, it seems that additional protein intake will not directly increase muscle growth, strength, or physical performance and could even lead to weight gain and fat deposition, which are surely negative consequences for any athlete.
    https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health-you-asked/extra-protein-extra-performance
    (easy readable) https://www.healthline.com/health/too-much-protein#risks

Increased insulin doesn't cause weight gain in and of itself. And the increased insulin has nothing to do with blood glucose and is a response to amino acids, as per that study, which is very relevant.

An increase of protein intake increased the risk of diabetes by 38% in an aboriginal community in Canada (Wolever et al. 1997).
    That amino acids may contribute to insulin resistance was concluded from results of a recent study in myotube cells.
    https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/130/4/886/4686684

I am out of this thread no more replies. Happy reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

markmoto wrote: »
    Reading scientific studies not easy it takes time to read between the lines. Don't worry about that.

Don't link to them if you haven't read them.

Exhibit A:
    "markmoto wrote:
    Another study

Excess amount of protein also cause of Disorders and health risks
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4045293/

Remember how you came into the thread to saw protein from food = good, protein from powder = bad (and now have gone to protein is bad in excess)? Lot of references to animal protein, red meat, processed meat as being the risk factors. It appears you either didn't read that or chose to ignore it. Either way, it's another meaningless link.
    markmoto wrote:
    Nope. They put on the weight of consuming too much protein.
    Excess amino acids get converted to carbohydrates or fat. Thus, it seems that additional protein intake will not directly increase muscle growth, strength, or physical performance and could even lead to weight gain and fat deposition, which are surely negative consequences for any athlete.
    https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health-you-asked/extra-protein-extra-performance
    (easy readable) https://www.healthline.com/health/too-much-protein#risks

That article by the doctor shows an embarrassingly low level of understanding of what happens. Excess amino acids will ultimately be excreted. You're not storing fat without a caloric surplus.

But maybe you should tell those high level athletes that protein will make them fat.
    markmoto wrote:
    An increase of protein intake increased the risk of diabetes by 38% in an aboriginal community in Canada (Wolever et al. 1997).

Anything on pygmies living in Northern Ireland? Just we can definitively make a commentary about most people?
    markmoto wrote:
    I am out of this thread no more replies. Happy reading.

I've probably read them before you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Are you feeling pain from your exercise as a result of your illness? Have you consulted with your doctor about what you should and shouldn't do?

What you do for exercise is really important...you need to be providing sufficient stimulus for your muscle. Whey protein won't help you on it's own.

I have ataxia following brain surgery. Very low capacity for exercise and have lost muscle in legs/arms. When I do have exercise my muscles ache for days. I asked my neurosurgery is whey might help and he told me it might. So no real scientific reasoning behind taking it. Just trying to improve quality of life and build up a bit of stamina for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I have ataxia following brain surgery. Very low capacity for exercise and have lost muscle in legs/arms. When I do have exercise my muscles ache for days. I asked my neurosurgery is whey might help and he told me it might. So no real scientific reasoning behind taking it. Just trying to improve quality of life and build up a bit of stamina for exercise.

Without wanting to get into the realm of telling you what you should do as regards exercise, as I have no idea how much you have told you could/should do, but if you're aching for days after it maybe consider scaling back up so that you're not aching for days and then build up slowly from there.

markmoto wrote: »
    Extreme fatigue one of the signs of liver congestion. To break down protein requires certain enzymes and acids for that requires a variety of trace minerals & vitamins.

I had brain radiotherapy 11 years ago, which definitely had an impact. I was assessed by a neurologist for Parkinson's which they told me was unlikely. I have spoken to someone with a similar, but not exactly the same, and they told me that taurine was helpful for them with regards muscle repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

I had brain radiotherapy 11 years ago, which definitely had an impact. I was assessed by a neurologist for Parkinson's which they told me was unlikely. I have spoken to someone with a similar, but not exactly the same, and they told me that taurine was helpful for them with regards muscle repair.

Hi,

I suggest getting a referral to an experienced dietitian doctor who can build your diet. Also, ask what s/he would think about intermittent fasting +(or) periodic prolonged fasting 40-72+ hours.

A number of scientific studies showing excellent results in neurology.

You have a serious medical condition and taurine, not a miracle. Go to Doctor.

OK I'm back to looking into protein powder options again. Have been using Myprotein products for the past couple of years. Only real problem with them is that a lot of what I consume is out of stock.

I am probably taking a wrong protein as I am having difficulty digesting food. It just sits in my stomach. I wish to continue taking protein powder but the right one. Note as I probably mentioned earlier in the thread the protein is to help with retaining muscle and energy from a disability as opposed to bulking up.

I've had whey isolate and casein and now I am using pea protein. They are doing what I had hoped that they would but I have a feeling that they might be affecting my ability to digest food.

I am now considering overnight oats from protein works. I have never used them before. Are they good/bad quality and price?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Your understanding of protein hasn't improved in the last few years I see. What do you mean by "a wrong protein"? Are you lactose intolerant? What is your typical serving size of protein powder?

You say you have difficulty digesting food - how much fibre are you getting in your diet? What does your diet look like? You'd be better off listing a typical day of eating, because protein powder in and of itself is unlikely to be the reason that food "sits in your stomach".

Protein powder doesn't care whether your goal is retaining muscle or bulking up the same way as a chicken breast or tin of tuna doesn't care. There are multiple factors which will determine those things, not just protein powder. It isn't magic powder, it's just a convenient way to get protein in.

I'd wager nobody has bought "Overnight Oats from Protein Works" because mixing protein powder and oats is not something that people need to pay companies extra money to do for them.

Okay I am phrasing my question incorrectly. Shaking protein powder with water is making me incredibly bloated and sluggish. I read somewhere that shaking creates air which can effect the digestive system. I am looking for a better way of taking it. I thought at the beginning that I was lactose intolerant but have been taking pea protein powder for several months and still fell the same. There is no doubt in my mind that it has a positive impact it just I feel crap during the day.

Maybe there is a different way to consume it? I have started putting it in porridge.

Advertisement