Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whey protein to maintain muscle mass?

Options
  • 08-03-2021 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I need a reasonably priced whey protein for a longterm illness to retain muscle.

I had been taking Percision Engineered from H&B. Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

They're all much the same and similar prices. Whey protein is just the leftover byproduct of dairy processing - mainly cheese.

Some of the well-respected brands would be Optimum Nutrition, MyProtein. Kinetica.

You'll generally get best value by buying in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

At the beginning I was buying Optimum Nutrition from H&B but found it very expensive if it wasn't on sale.

As I mentioned I am looking to use it for muscle retention not bulking up. I suffer from severe fatigue and exercise can be short in duration and nothing strenuous.

A couple of people i know using whey put on significant weight (not muscle), i would like to avoid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

At the beginning I was buying Optimum Nutrition from H&B but found it very expensive if it wasn't on sale.

As I mentioned I am looking to use it for muscle retention not bulking up. I suffer from severe fatigue and exercise can be short in duration and nothing strenuous.

A couple of people i know using whey put on significant weight (not muscle), i would like to avoid this.
    Hardly the whey probably a crap diet with whey thrown in for good measure!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A scoop of whey made with water is ~ 135 calories.

They put on weight because they had a poor diet. Not because of whey.

I placed an order through myprotein for their own brand. See how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

I wouldn't suggest any protein powders rather getting food high in protein .

They put on weight because they had a poor diet. Not because of whey.

Yes and no, whey protein increase insulin level as result you be getting more fat.
    https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-9-48

markmoto wrote: »
    Yes and no, whey protein increase insulin level as result you be getting more fat.
    https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-9-48

Increased insulin doesn't cause weight gain in and of itself. And the increased insulin has nothing to do with blood glucose and is a response to amino acids, as per that study, which is very relevant.

But out of curiosity, what would you think is the proportional impact of the caloric surplus and increased insulin level from a whey protein shake?

Increased insulin doesn't cause weight gain in and of itself.

But just for context, what is the proportional impact of the caloric surplus and increased insulin level from a whey protein shake?

I would never advise anyone to consume any kind of protein powders, do you really know what you buying and mixing into your shake? Regardless of the brand you get your self exposed to variety of problems from liver, kidney damage to poisoning. Rather eat food high in protein Eggs, chicken, read meat etc.

But don't take my word run this search link below
    https://www.google.com/search?q=protein+powder+horror+stories&client=firefox-b-d&ei=ej9_YP6bLNKi1fAP5o-N2Ao&oq=protein+powder+horror+stories&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEEcQsAM6BAghEApQ-4YcWKiwHGDmsxxoBnACeACAAVmIAcUIkgECMTSYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEIwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwj-wPmy2o3wAhVSURUIHeZHA6sQ4dUDCBg&uact=5

I would never advise anyone to consume any kind of protein powders, do you really know what you buying and mixing into your shake? Regardless of the brand you get your self exposed to variety of problems from liver, kidney damage to poisoning. Rather eat food high in protein Eggs, chicken, read meat etc.

But don't take my word run this search link below
    https://www.google.com/search?q=protein+powder+horror+stories&client=firefox-b-d&ei=ej9_YP6bLNKi1fAP5o-N2Ao&oq=protein+powder+horror+stories&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEEcQsAM6BAghEApQ-4YcWKiwHGDmsxxoBnACeACAAVmIAcUIkgECMTSYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEIwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwj-wPmy2o3wAhVSURUIHeZHA6sQ4dUDCBg&uact=5

Mostly American sites...different ball game there.

Most of the ones available here aren't going to cause liver or kidney damage.

But it's a supplement. People should be getting most of their protein from food and supplementing if necessary.

• Advertisement

I have been taking whey powder for a long time now with little impact. I am beginning to wonder if taurine would be better in terms of muscle pain. If i could resolve the post exercise leg pain and brain fog I would probably get more exercise and retain muscle.

I have been taking whey powder for a long time now with little impact. I am beginning to wonder if taurine would be better in terms of muscle pain. If i could resolve the post exercise leg pain and brain fog I would probably get more exercise and retain muscle.

If someone shows me a scientific (not observational) study that Branched-chain amino acids significantly increases muscle build (without taking any form of steroids) I would be very grateful.

Unfortunately, study below shows an excess amount of protein consumption rather decrease protein synthesis.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568273/

If someone shows me a scientific (not observational) study that Branched-chain amino acids significantly increases muscle build (without taking any form of steroids) I would be very grateful.

Unfortunately, study below shows an excess amount of protein consumption rather decrease protein synthesis.

Why are you referencing BCAAs and butchering the findings of a study?

Protein synthesis is limited by the least available essential amino acid so it's no surprise that an infusion of BCAAs alone might decrease MPS in a study.

Are you feeling pain from your exercise as a result of your illness? Have you consulted with your doctor about what you should and shouldn't do?

What you do for exercise is really important...you need to be providing sufficient stimulus for your muscle. Whey protein won't help you on it's own.

You don’t understand what scientific research is or how to appraise it.

Extreme fatigue one of the signs of liver congestion. To break down protein requires certain enzymes and acids for that requires a variety of trace minerals & vitamins.

Extreme fatigue one of the signs of liver congestion. To break down protein requires certain enzymes and acids and that requires a variety of trace minerals & vitamins.

Given that you've already demonstrated that you can't tell the difference between taurine and BCAAs or BCAAs and protein, then why are you trying to still trying to give advice on this?

Have you read the OP? It included reference to a long term illness....and you're still taking about protein being the main reason for fatigue?

Given that you've ready demonstrated that you can't tell the difference between taurine and BCAAs or BCAAs and protein, then why are you trying to still trying to give advice on this?

Have you read the OP? It included reference to a long term illness....and you're still taking about protein?

I know very well about protein synthesises and body nutritional requirements.
    However, I am not here to argue with you or anyone else rather giving my opinion on the side effects of taking protein powder.

After all, the choice is yours.

Or perhaps you want to demonstrate your own knowledge backed by scientific research that taking protein powder significantly improves muscle build and wellbeing?

Have you read the OP? It included reference to a long term illness....and you're still taking about protein being the main reason for fatigue?

If OP has a certain medical condition s/he should go to the doctor for advice. Forum rules won't allow him to discuss that.

• Advertisement

I know very well about protein synthesises and body nutritional requirements.
    However, I am not here to argue with you or anyone else rather giving my opinion on the side effects of taking protein powder.

After all, the choice is yours.

Or perhaps you want to demonstrate your own knowledge backed by scientific research that taking protein powder significantly improves muscle build and wellbeing?

You haven't even addressed the fact that the OP asked about taurine and you mentioned BCAAs, linked a study about BCAAs and then said it said that too much protein decreases muscle protein synthesis. Wrong on every count.

You are anti-protein powder and that's fine.

But you're presenting science that you don't seem to understand to make a point that the papers you link don't support.

You haven't even addressed the fact that the OP asked about taurine and you mentioned BCAAs, linked a study about BCAAs and then said it said that too much protein decreases muscle protein synthesis. Wrong on every count.

You are anti-protein powder and that's fine.

But you're presenting science that you don't seem to understand to make a point that the papers you link don't support.

Sorry bud not here to entertain your arguments
    Read here already said everything I want https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116984626&postcount=21

Sorry bud not here to entertain your arguments
    Read here already said everything I want https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116984626&postcount=21

Your first contribution to the thread was to disagree with me on the basis of a paper that you didn't understand.

If you want to make a point, at least understand the evidence you present to support it. You haven't. Leave it at "try get your protein from food", which I am pn board with.

But don't start presenting nonsense as a reason to avoid whey protein supplements.

But don't start presenting nonsense as a reason to avoid whey protein supplements.

Protein shakes not require right before or after workout, most body heal & repairs happen overnights and all protein shakes scheme absolute nonsense from a scientific or bodybuilding point of view.

Just another trend running around with fancy looking shakes.

But here is real stories about protein powders:

Harvard: Real danger of protein powder
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-hidden-dangers-of-protein-powders

Girl 25 died after consuming protein powder
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9509052/mum-protein-shake-warning-daugther-diet/

5 reasons to avoid protein powder
    https://plantbasednews.org/lifestyle/5-reasons-why-whey-protein-is-bad-for-your-health-and-the-planet/

Can do copy & paste all day long but check this out

https://www.google.com/search?q=protein+powder+horror+stories&client=firefox-b-d&biw=1920&bih=867&ei=it6DYOHbJa7S1fAP07-LyAQ&oq=protein+powder+horror+stories&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEEcQsAM6BAghEApQ0v8DWKmWBGCFmgRoAXACeACAAXWIAYYGkgEDOS4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjhyNrTwpbwAhUuaRUIHdPfAkk4ChDh1QMIDQ&uact=5

Jesus wept. Drop the shovel.

We're not in America, for a start. Plant based link had 5 reasons, two being related to dairy (and one of lactose intolerance) and one the environment.

The Sun (ffs) has a story abouta girl with a disorder that can't process the amount of protein she was ingesting. Not relevant either. No one is talking about consuming to excess. As with anything, the dose is the poison.

Tell me again what BCAAs have to do with taurine?

Jesus wept. Drop the shovel.

We're not in America, for a start. Plant based link had 5 reasons, two being related to dairy (and one of lactose intolerance) and one the environment.

The Sun (ffs) has a story abouta girl with a disorder that can't process the amount of protein she was ingesting. Not relevant either. No one is talking about consuming to excess. As with anything, the dose is the poison.

Mark considers observational studies to be non-scientific, whilst simultaneously citing tabloid articles as evidence.

You might be wasting your time here. :D

Cill94 wrote: »
    Mark considers observational studies to be non-scientific, whilst simultaneously citing tabloid articles as evidence.

You might be wasting your time here. :D

I'm really just here to hear what taurine has to do with BCAAs at this point.

I'm really just here to hear what taurine has to do with BCAAs at this point.

I'm sure the arbiters of truth at The Sun and PlantBasednews.org will have all the answers you need.

I have never mention anything about taurine in any of my comments yet. My reply was to first sentence about protein powder intake.
    I have been taking whey powder for a long time now with little impact. .

My key points to this thread; protein powder useless by all means and taking excess amount of protein rather decrease protein synthesis. For building muscle protein alone not enough.

• Advertisement

I have never mention anything about taurine in any of my comments yet. My reply was to first sentence about protein powder intake.

Here, the OP asked about using taurine and you responded about BCAAs, linked to a study on BCAAs and took the finding to mean that excess protein causes a decrease in MPS. Which was nothing like what the study suggested. Please read the study again and try to understand it.
    My key points to this thread; protein powder useless by all means and taking excess amount of protein rather decrease protein synthesis. For building muscle protein alone not enough.

No one suggested protein powder alone would build muscle. It's to supplement.

The study you referenced said nothing about excess protein causing a decrease in MPS. It suggested excess BCAAs might but EAAs are the limiting factor. Whey protein would have both BCAAs and EAAs. You're confusing protein and BCAAs (and taurine) somehow. And you've misunderstood/misinterpreted any studies you have linked so far.

Advertisement