Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ammo limit increase on an existing licence

• 04-03-2021 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

How do you get the ammo limit on your licence increased during the life of an established licence.

I need an increase to allow me buy bulk boxes of 525 rounds in 22lr and I be citing the value packs as a reason to get an increase up to 2000

I'm currently limited to 250 and in truth once you buy a few boxes of varied types you're not far off the 250 limit

As such you could nearly justify having 250 for each type.
    5 boxes of yellow jackets
    5 boxes of stingers
    5 boxes of Winchester subs
    5 box of CCI mini mag
    5 boxes of Aguila Super Colibri
    5x CCI segmented
    5x CCI CBs

With the lockdown I'm running low..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Zxthinger wrote: »
    How do you get the ammo limit on your licence increased during the life of an established licence.

I need an increase to allow me buy bulk boxes of 525 rounds in 22lr and I be citing the value packs as a reason to get an increase up to 2000

I'm currently limited to 250 and in truth once you buy a few boxes of varied types you're not far off the 250 limit

5 boxes of stingers
    5 box of CCI mini mag
    5x CCI segmented
    5x CCI CBs

I'd say you'd have to fill out an FAC 2 Amendment or Cancellation form but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

You may have to look at the stated use of your firearm ie target shooting or hunting.
    If hunting you may be hard pushed to get a sympathetic ear as to the argument of bulk buying - value, convenience etc, etc.
    If target shooting, in particular competitive shooting IMO you would stand a better chance due to the amount of ammo consumed for training on a regular basis. But of course you would need to show range membership and possible competition attendance.

Now as always, someone will come along and prove other wise with an ammo limit of 2K for bunny bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

I might have misinterpreted the initial question. Cass made a post about applying for ammo limits https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055749811
    and the date is 19-04-2015, 17:10

I might have misinterpreted the initial question. Cass made a post about applying for ammo limits https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055749811
    and the date is 19-04-2015, 17:10

Nice one Munsterlad102

Use this link to go straight to the post-

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95147881&postcount=8

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hexosan done the leg work on that post and the reasons listed in it. So thanks to him for that.

Speaking of which i must update it. A post i made a while back regarding increasing the ammo limit. As per the "warning" at the end only use those that apply to you.
    A helpful tip on increasing round allowance. Write to the FO or Super if you must and say the following:

Re: Section 4.1 - I request the maximum rounds of ammunition on my license be increased to (insert amount) for the following reasons:
    1. Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
    2. My current allowance of 25 rounds means i can only have one box of ammunition as all 223 ammunition is sold in either 20 or 50 round boxes.
    3. With my current allowance of 25 rounds if i fire one box of ammunition (20 rounds) i must safely and legally dispose of those empty casings before i can legally by another box. As the empty casings are classed as live rounds i must find an authorised range or scrap merchant which requires me to travel excessive distances to find such a place.
    4. I regularly do vermin control on the lands i have permission for. This may vary from two to six times per week and my current allowance only permits me to carry one box of ammunition meaning i must make a return trip to the registered firearm dealer between each outing as well as disposing of the empties as per the means above between trips to the dealer.
    5. Some ammunition comes in 50 round boxes but even for the 20 round boxes, buying these in bulk can save on trips to the dealer, cost as they are usually a bulk sale price, and means that i have a reliable supply of suitable and safe ammunition to suit my rifle.
    6. Each different type of round/bullet performs differently in each persons rifle. My rifle is set up to use one particular type and if i cannot bulk buy this type i must use another. As it won't perform the same i cannot be sure it is zeroed and therefore safe. As zeroing outside an authorised range is illegal it means i must wait to the ammunition i use to come back into stock or if it doesn't to join a range simply to zero my rifle which is excessively expensive and somewhat redundant as i have no interest in target shooting.
    7. Being forced to join a range to keep zeroing my rifle for each different type of bullet is not only excessively expensive and a cost i should not have to incur but may lead to me being FORCED to make a fraudulent application because my interest is NOT in target shooting but i would have to declare such interest when applying.
    8. The Commissioner's Guidleines clearly set out that the minimum amount of ammunition to be used a BASE guide for each activity:
      • Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
      • Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
      • Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
      • Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds
      A single shotgun is listed as having 100 rounds, while a deer gun is down as 200-260. There is no guideline for a vermin caliber rifle or the act of vermin control however as the guidelines set out a 200-260 minimum for a deer gun and deer stalking is only for 6 months of the year (not year round like vermin control) i believe this to be a much better starting point than my current limit of 25.

There are other factors but they are more aimed at target shooter. Such as:
    1. I regularly take part in target competitions and actively attend target ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time.
    2. As a member of a range that allows reloading i must have empty/new/fired brass as well as a supply of bullets which requires my allowance to be sufficient to allow for these components as well as the live/finished round.
    However you should only list those that apply to you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭JP22

What official form, if any, is required to be completed to increase ones ammo holdings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is no official form. The FCA2 is for amending incorrect personal details/change of address or to cancel a license.

The FCA1 is an application for a firearm and while you complete a section relating to ammo amount i don't know if its required solely to apply for a change in ammo limit.

Usually a letter outlining your reasons and submitted to your FO should suffice. In other words they'll get the "application" however unofficial the format may be and the decision to "grant" you the increase will be decided on based on that letter. As the license is granted for the firearm it may be as simple as the FO speaking to the Super then reprinting the license with the new limit, if successful.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭JP22

Thanks Cass, I believe you are correct in that a simple letter is all that is required, I cannot find any official form online.

Keep safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

5 boxes of stingers
    5 box of CCI mini mag
    5x CCI segmented
    5x CCI CBs

A letter emailed to your super with all your existing licence details and reasons why you need 2000 rds ie Target shooting etc etc and they can amend your licence on pulse and get it re issued, Ive done it. Fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Do you have any bother getting the CCI CB's ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Yes. They're hard to come across. That's why you'd be best to get 2-3 boxes when you gave a chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

Do you have any bother getting the CCI CB's ?
    Yes. They're hard to come across. That's why you'd be best to get 2-3 boxes when you gave a chance..

2-3 boxes?????????

You lads can't be doing much shooting :rolleyes:

I'd be buying 2-3 bricks at a time and getting more when I'm starting to get low, like down to 4-5 boxes.

I just topped up yesterday with a brick of SK Long range. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

clivej wrote: »
    2-3 boxes?????????

I'd be buying 2-3 bricks at a time and getting more when I'm starting to get low, like down to 4-5 boxes.

I just topped up yesterday with a brick of SK Long range. :):)

It's specifically the CB's or other < 800 feet per second ones I'm looking for

2-3 boxes?????????

....and that's why I sub'd the .22 out for another centre fire. I don't use it as much as I would have. A hundred rounds of .22 low velocity would last me all year and that's including fluteing around with various scope changes and a bit of pest control.

Maybe in a few more years I'll stick another .22 back in the gun safe, but for now a 200 rounds of 22 centre fire ammo will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

....and that's why I sub'd the .22 out for another centre fire. I don't use it as much as I would have. A hundred rounds of .22 low velocity would last me all year and that's including fluteing around with various scope changes and a bit of pest control.

Maybe in a few more years I'll stick another .22 back in the gun safe, but for now a 200 rounds of 22 centre fire ammo will do me.

Only 200 rounds. What about when the Zombie apocalypse comes. :eek:

Only 200 rounds. What about when the Zombie apocalypse comes. :eek:

I long ago decided that if the Zombie Apocalypse results in the loss of McDonald's Sausage and Egg McMuffin then it won't be worth surviving. I just need enough ammo to last me until the use by date on the last McMuffin.

Advertisement