Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone fancy a trip to Pontins ??

Options
1235»

Comments

It absolutely is faked, look at it, it was done with a large marker. It's also the only picture that ever comes up on image search or in articles.

Not when it's continually cited as a fact but no proof is ever offered.

Did you actually read what I posted? I said that anti-Irish discrimination certainly existed. There is no doubt racial discrimination existed too. But we shouldn't keep on perpetuating myths about a sign just because it helps us feel like the Most Oppressed People Ever.

The sign is your straw man argument. Other people are saying that similar signs existed, you seem to think that the fact that a particular photo of a faked sign is important (otherwise why bring it up).

What are arguing about here, the actual sign? The sign could well be fake and other signs true.

The use of the MOPE is also an example of a strawman, never used except ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You are really not getting this.

It's NOT about that particular picture of a sign :rolleyes:

It's about how we are told how these signs were supposedly all over the place, but there is never any documentary evidence that they existed at all.

Urban myth until proven otherwise.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

OldRio wrote: »
    I can assure you in the 1960's those signs existed. I saw them. I also remember being turned away from 'digs' because of our accent. 'F##k off paddy'

In the mid 80s I rented (for a short time) a bedsit in South East London. The owner of the house, a Polish lady, was out when I answered the ad so I was "vetted" by one of her long-term tenants, a typical London geezer.

"She don't want no blacks, and she don't want no women, so you'll be all right," he said.

I doubt if he would be so candid today! So we were acceptable by the 1980s but there were still some standards below which people would not stoop.

Was it the same for us in the 1950s and 60s? Wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Well in fairness a lot of irish that went to england to work on the building sites and roads back in the 50's & 60's were low educated quick with their fists rowdy west of ireland types and they did rightly or wrongly have a reputation for aggro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fryup wrote: »
    Well in fairness a lot of irish that went to england to work on the building sites and roads back in the 50's & 60's were low educated quick with their fists west of ireland types and they did rightly or wrongly have a reputation for aggro.

I do love generalisations easy for racist's to hide behind them.

but its true the irish back then had a reputation for drunken violence

in the same way we look at the travellers over here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭pgj2015

fryup wrote: »
    but its true the irish back then had a reputation for drunken violence

in the same way we look at the travellers over here

Probably the same reputation the Irish have in Australia now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Urban myth until proven otherwise.

So my testimony of what I saw has been dismissed my you. Completely ignored.
    Living in the England in the Sixties and seventies I can assure you those signs existed. But obviously that doesn't suit your agenda. Reading your post history shows your agenda.
    The problem isn't the signs is it? It's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Probably the same reputation the Irish have in Australia now.
    I lived over there for a long time. The words pot and kettle come to mind when Aussies say that to me. The Aussies love a good session. My local had a happy hour at 7am ffs. When there's a state of origin or bledisloe on in Sydney with 8pm kick off the pubs are packed at 10am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If they didn't allow anyone driving a commercial vehicle would that be regarded as indirect discrimination. What else would be regarded as indirect discrimination, if they had a "no fighting on our property" rule would that indirectly discriminate against travellers.

Actually is banning names even indirect discrimination. Plenty of settled people called Stokes etc. also you are likely to find these names anywhere in the world that Irish people have emigrated to. I've no doubt that there are people born and bred in Australia and the US who are named Stokes etc.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    If they didn't allow anyone driving a commercial vehicle would that be regarded as indirect discrimination. What else would be regarded as indirect discrimination, if they had a "no fighting on our property" rule would that indirectly discriminate against travellers.

Actually is banning names even indirect discrimination. Plenty of settled people called Stokes etc. also you are likely to find these names anywhere in the world that Irish people have emigrated to. I've no doubt that there are people born and bred in Australia and the US who are named Stokes etc.

They are rules prohibiting certain actions not covered by the 9 rules of discrimination.

Having a surnam is not an action or event

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

They are rules prohibiting certain actions not covered by the 9 rules of discrimination.

Having a surnam is not an action or event

That 9 grounds is only a made up irish bollox, doesn't apply in the UK.

That 9 grounds is only a made up irish bollox, doesn't apply in the UK.

Evidently, you are not the law

https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-your-rights

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OldRio wrote: »
    So my testimony of what I saw has been dismissed my you. Completely ignored.
    Living in the England in the Sixties and seventies I can assure you those signs existed. But obviously that doesn't suit your agenda. Reading your post history shows your agenda.
    The problem isn't the signs is it? It's you.

So what? Some people say they saw Jesus, or Elvis, UFOs.

Stalking and going on about agendas and your last sentence say all I need to know about you mate

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

So what? Some people say they saw Jesus, or Elvis, UFOs.

Stalking and going on about agendas and your last sentence say all I need to know about you mate

'mate' No. I'm not your mate.

'So what?' No I didn't see Jesus or Elvis or UFOs. What I did see was signs saying No blacks, no dogs, no Irish. Obviously for reasons only known to yourself you've dismissed my observations. It doesn't fit your prejudged agenda I would suggest.

'Stalking'. Deary me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It might not be PC to discriminate against Travelers but they have certainly discriminated against settled people.
    I’ve met many and had dealings with a good many. Some are very nice, some not nice at all. I certainly wouldn’t trust Travelers I don’t know and I would leave a pub or hotel if they came in as I wouldn’t feel safe there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes, and put the stereotype to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It might not be PC to discriminate against Travelers but they have certainly discriminated against settled people.
    I’ve met many and had dealings with a good many. Some are very nice, some not nice at all.

Same as most groups and communities then? I certainly wouldn't be inviting Boards users to any family event given that they seem to hang around with people who soil themselves at such events.

Maybe we should get list of Boards surnames to block?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057945199/4/#post109136300
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90747832

Advertisement