Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone fancy a trip to Pontins ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

65535 wrote: »
    Most of ye here have the West Brit attitude - Murphy is the most common name in Ireland yet ye do not see the racism here.
    It is as it was - No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish.
    If they were to put West Indian Names or Nigerian names on their lists I'm sure there would be a 'BLM' outrage.
    It is further common place in England especially to say things like - 'Oh that's a bit Irish' or 'taking the Mick'
    If ye condone it then ye condone all racism.

We had it in Cork City as well when the British ruled the place - there was the 'English Market' and 'Paddys Market'
    The British mentality is to look down their noses at the Irish

And the Irish mentality is to look down on the other Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭65535

lalababa wrote: »

Not the Irish people I know.
    I lived in London for a long time.
    Always got on well with Irish, English, Welsh, Scottish etc.
    I know that Ireland is seen as somewhere west of Scotland and it's ll mixed up with the fact that most British study royal family history and not real history.

http://arethebritsatitagain.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

65535 wrote: »
    It is as it was - No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish.

Apparently these signs were everywhere in the 50s

But there isn't a single genuine photograph of one in existence.

Odd that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I think the Irish who left from the 50's to the 80's to go to the U.K and their offspring are looked down upon.

As for Pontins I'm surprised the Travellers even want to go to their rubbish sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Odd that.

Maybe not as late as the 1950s, there are plenty of examples of anti Irish sentiment and "no Irish need apply" spanning decades after the 1850 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

We went to Cornwall for a holiday c2010. Had a campervan and were mostly to stay in campsites. The problem was nearly every campsite that i would ring would say they were fully booked even when we were outside seeing they were far from full. The ones that did let us in asked a load of questions about how long we were staying and had to have a good inspection of us in a not so friendly way. It was a bit off putting to say the least and it took me a while to get the inference.
    Now imagine the furore if someone with an English accent was subjected to the same treatment here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Odd that.

I can assure you in the 1960's those signs existed. I saw them. I also remember being turned away from 'digs' because of our accent. 'F##k off paddy'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'm on that list, "Stokes" and I'm delighted :D Didn't know I had traveler blood in me...

For those of ye that don't know or don't care this will explain it all

https://youtu.be/NTVoNb5heIs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭pgj2015

NeVeR wrote: »
    I'm on that list, "Stokes" and I'm delighted :D Didn't know I had traveler blood in me...

Do you like dags? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’m going to have some craic with this.
    I have three good friends named Murphy, Sheridan and Ward.
    I’ll be telling them I can’t hang around with them anymore and that I’m booking a holiday at Pontins.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Joyce, the quintessential traveller name -even with it - this is also
    a name in some of the most well-heeled familys in south Dublin. And
    widely represented in the legal, medical professions etc.

Like they’d be booking Pontins for their holidays:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I, for one, am outraged! Not really though. I lived in England for a year and got the anti irish stuff a good bit and didn't care one bit.

Well absolutely! I lived there for nearly 10 years. I'd rather be called Paddy (which is not my name) than have people think of me as English!

There are limits, after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Odd that.

Very. I mean, didn't they have camera phones in the 1950s?

Oh, wait.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I heard Irish men who worked in England in the 70's and 80's saying they would avoid an Irish boss in England and you were better off working for an English man. make of that what you will. These lads would have worked on building sites.

Odd that.

I suppose people didn’t take out their iPhones, roll up the driveway to take snaps all that quickly. There are some photos though.

There’s plenty of newspaper evidence in ads. I saw one myself when investigating something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Of course there will be outward rage over this but an honest media would ask why a company would want to turn away customers

What has happened in these camps previously for Poitins to have come up with this

Not a few isolated incidents I would imagine

Turning away customers and their money - why would a company do that? Just baseless bigotry? Seems unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ElJaguar

That mentality exists in many other national groups too.:confused:

Maybe not as late as the 1950s, there are plenty of examples of anti Irish sentiment and "no Irish need apply" spanning decades after the 1850 though.

Anti-Irish sentiment, certainly and is documented

"No Irish need apply" in 19th century job ads in UK and US, certainly and is documented

"No blacks no dogs no Irish" signs are turning out to be very elusive... especially as the "blacks" part would mean it would be after WWII. The one printed in every article on the topic is the one here :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/28/no-reason-to-doubt-no-irish-no-blacks-signs

But that was clearly faked with a marker decades later.

The smart arsery about camera phones is just stupid. Cameras existed :rolleyes: and there were journalists and photographers documenting the experiences of Carribean immigrants to the UK in the 50s, this was a new and interesting thing so attracted attention even if anti-Irish feeling (which did exist) wouldn't have.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Stoked, you might say :pac:

I've been all over Europe on camping trips on my motorbike, no hassles anywhere, only place I ever got attitude/snobbery was England. OK most of the campsites there are more for retired old dears in caravans rather than the continental style ones with young families, etc. but still.

Only got actual anti-Irish sentiment once and that was at the French end of the Channel Tunnel coming back one time (checkpoint operated by Kent police). Documents got the going over for ages, seemed like about an hour with no explanation. Thought the whole bike/luggage was going to be searched which would take a couple of hours.. but no in the end I was just waved on, cop was now all smiles telling me about his bike etc. well I thought to myself you can f**k off with your bonhomie now pal I just want to get out of here and through your poxy country as quickly as possible. I found out later that there'd been some "32-county sovereignty blah blah" tossers lifted that morning in London. Thanks again guys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

try to make a booking with Pontins today for the craic :pac: and see how you get on

Having holidayed on sites in the UK and had the pikey ****s running amok, I am not outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Where’s his chip? It’s a quote.

It the reason for posting the quote that provides the chip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

"No Irish need apply" in 19th century job ads in UK and US, certainly and is documented

"No blacks no dogs no Irish" signs are turning out to be very elusive... especially as the "blacks" part would mean it would be after WWII. The one printed in every article on the topic is the one here :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/28/no-reason-to-doubt-no-irish-no-blacks-signs

The smart arsery about camera phones is just stupid. Cameras existed :rolleyes: and there were journalists and photographers documenting the experiences of Carribean immigrants to the UK in the 50s, this was a new and interesting thing so attracted attention even if anti-Irish feeling (which did exist) wouldn't have.

I did tell you what I saw.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Not surprised that members of a certain "ethnic" group are regular patrons of Pontins and a source of trouble there.

Although "holidaying" in Pontins would be my idea of hell, people who do go there deserve not to be bothered/intimidated by scumbags. Pontins are within their rights to be discriminating on who they allow in.
    But this memo/list should never have been put out there in the media.

The solicitors, as per usual, will now have a field day.

You’ve created a straw man argument (as do others). It’s not clear that that photo is doctored but it’s largely irrelevant. The existence of the phrase No Dogs, No blacks, No Irish on one sign might not have happened but was probably the general sentiment. I assume you aren’t saying that there wasn’t prejudice or restrictions on black people in housing or B&Bs? Or on dogs in some cases? Or on Irish in others.

The existence of non existence of that actual sign is largely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

JupiterKid wrote: »
    . Pontins are within their rights to be discriminating on who they allow in.

Several decades of anti discrimination law in the UK disagrees with you.

• Advertisement

You’ve created a straw man argument (as do others). It’s not clear that that photo is doctored

It absolutely is faked, look at it, it was done with a large marker. It's also the only picture that ever comes up on image search or in articles.
    The existence of non existence of that actual sign is largely irrelevant.

Not when it's continually cited as a fact but no proof is ever offered.

Did you actually read what I posted? I said that anti-Irish discrimination certainly existed. There is no doubt racial discrimination existed too. But we shouldn't keep on perpetuating myths about a sign just because it helps us feel like the Most Oppressed People Ever.

Advertisement