Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange things your teacher did? (MOD NOTE in op)

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had a religion teacher who one day decided to discuss if Jesus masturbated or not with a bunch of 15/16yr old boys...no one took part or offered an opinion and so he got all embarrassed and moved on to something else.

The same man had an absolutely lethal temper, he'd flip at the smallest reason and pull students over desks and batter the head of them for the stupidest reasons, he'd basically lose all control of himself and once he bet the lining out of the poor unfortunate, he'd settle himself and get everyone to say a prayer. He was a psycho and was suspended on more than one occasion for physical assault.

Another teacher we had was on the other side of the spectrum, a gentle old soul that couldn't be angry even if he tried. He'd be in the middle of a subject (he taught us physics) and he'd burst into prayer at random times and get everyone to join in. We'd do our best to annoy him but he'd never ever get phased by anything we done.

Most of the teachers in our school were seriously f**ked up in some way or other, i'd say 90% of it was down to the students but some were simply nutcases all on their own.

Such good times, I miss my school days.

For reference, I was at school in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Secondary boarding school in the South East, the 3rd year dorm was away from the main building was looked after by the Br who taught PE, any messing after lights out meant being marched across to the main building, into the shower which he turned to cold water only. The other thing was when in the shower, we had to face forward where he was standing, no turning away allowed. he's dead now too.

dirty feker, did he ever fiddle with himself or the pupils? if so was he ever reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭black & white

fryup wrote: »
    dirty feker, did he ever fiddle with himself or the pupils? if so was he ever reported?

There were rumours and he was one of two Br that we stayed away from but I only saw him touch a boy once, during a hurling match, a guy got a slap of a sliothar into the goolies and the Br put his hand down the guys shorts to massage them. I don’t remember anything being done and the Br died in an accident not too many years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

There were rumours about a guy in the year above me and our PE teacher. He was a fairly good looking guy, she was a horrible mousey looking woman, not nice in any way physically or personally.

She flirted outrageously with him in class. We'd start with stretches and she'd demonstrate where we should be feeling the pull, on him, rubbing the inside of his thighs to the point where she was basically stroking his balls.

We did a cross country run one day, and the two of them sprinted away. Around halfway around, a good while later since I was fat and lazy, I got to a bunch of trees and he came sprinting out all red in the face. She followed after looking a bit flustered, brushing grass and dirt off herself.

He always denied it but it was pretty much accepted they were at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭black & white

There were rumours and he was one of two Br that we stayed away from but I only saw him touch a boy once, during a hurling match, a guy got a slap of a sliothar into the goolies and the Br put his hand down the guys shorts to massage them. I don’t remember anything being done and the Br died in an accident not too many years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

In primary, there was a teacher in first or second class who'd hang kids on the coathooks by the hoods of the sports uniform.

A bonkers woman whose son whose favouritism with her son was disgusting. The poor lad got a lot of stick as a result.

A music teacher who was a real nasty piece of work. She had me up at the front of class once and brought me to tears by roaring in my face because I hadn't practiced the tin whistle. I was eight or nine. Don't think any kid liked her. A particularly unpleasant individual as she had adults thinking she was lovely. She was an acquaintance of my grandmother and always said I was a star etc.

In secondary, the principal and vice-principal smoked non-stop and their offices reeked of it, long after the smoking ban came in. They'd always be seen down the local getting sloshed in the afternoons.

There was a sports teacher who was like your man from Kes, thinking he was great and showing off his skills playing against people half his age.

I went to all-Irish school so the need for a decent level of Irish meant the talent pool was limited and there were a few teachers who had to juggle a few subjects, some of which they hadn't a clue about while the odd time they couldn't string a sentence together in Irish.

The all-Irish system tends to attract a higher proportion of more extreme patriotism. The sports green was paved over for a tarmac basketball court to stop us playing 'foreign games' (i.e. football and rugby but not basketball). We didn't have school teams for football despite having some of the best players at schoolboy level in the county. Then there was the history teacher who made the Brits out to be worse than the Nazis and wanted people to think he had been involved with the struggle.

Religion was everywhere too. Prayers in the morning, primary was on school grounds so the parish priest (a Gaelgoir as well) was always dropping in and hikes up a nearby hill with a cross on its summit for Corpus Christi. A public school in the 90s btw.

The all-Irish system tends to attract a higher proportion of more extreme patriotism. The sports green was paved over for a tarmac basketball court to stop us playing 'foreign games' (i.e. football and rugby but not basketball).

:confused:

sounds a bit mad a bit Fr Ted'ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

There was a guy in my accounting class who kept talking during the class one day. The teacher obviously wanted to say something witty, something along the lines that the guy needed to be gagged because he was talking so much. What the teacher actually said was, "If I had a ball, I'd stick it in your mouth".

Obviously the whole class erupted in laughter which didn't stop for about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Early nineties in second or third year woodwork class, teacher went out of the room for a few minutes, one of the lads started imitating him and everyone was in stitches laughing, in walks the teacher and catches the lad imitating him and goes ballistic, now the student was a big lad and the teacher was small, but, the teacher came up behind the student and started kneeing him up the arse and thumbing him hard in the back, everyone thought this was hilarious as the teacher could bearly reach the lads arse with his knee, the teacher continued thumping him as he marched him up to the principal's office where he got another hammering from the principal who was a big strong man and had a fearsome reputation in the school, absolutely no one messed around when he was around, everyone feared him as did some of the teachers. The student was suspended for a week and kinda went off the rails after that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hold on a sec, corporal punishment was outlawed since the early 80's ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I finished in the mid nineties and it was still going on to some degree mainly from older teachers who were getting close to retirement, most would have retired by 2000 or early noughties. The new younger teachers were totally different and were seen as soft touches by the students and got a hard time. The principal and vice principal were generally the only ones who dished out the punishment and it was generally well earned too, at the time very few would go home and tell the parents as the parents were likely to side with the principal and say you obviously did something to deserve it which tbf they probably did deserve it too.

Tbf everyone had a grudging respect for the Principle as he generally treated everyone the same regardless of family background, he was hard but fair, knew all the students by first name and actually cared about how they got on, he retired a few years after I finished up and died a few years later, he really did put his heart and soul into the school. He had a massive funeral with loads of past pupils who generally only had good to say about him. The school went downhill fast after he retired and they had massive disciple problems which took them more than a decade and a few principals before they got a hold on it again.
    Tbh I'm glad I went to school when I did rather than now, where everything seems to have been dumbed down now and the students seem to rule the schools, must be difficult being a teacher now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Went on in my primary school even after I left, new principal around 96-97 and he put a stop to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Some teachers still thought it was OK to thump a student into the 90s.
    My auld fella always said to me, "if a teacher ever does hit you, let me know about it before doing anything else, and I'll sort it".

Advertisement