Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange things your teacher did? (MOD NOTE in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Rested his balls on the corner of our desks 🥲

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im a teacher now, these are crazy stories, God i wouldnt dream of this stuff. God knows what the kids think of me! i think building some small relationship with kids in your class is a good idea, they can really build up a respect if they see that you understand their situations and interests. worked well for me when i was in a rough and tumble country school, between football and farming you had them all on board! in a very academic all girls school now so less need for that, its a very different type of pressure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Members of the irish army once visited my school, they had some weapons to show us all. My science teacher picked up something that looked like a rocket launcher and aimed it at the school and gave an evil laugh muttering "i wish"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

If they're cnuts MeHole wouldn't go through the trouble of letting them back in

Unless the family were "well connected "of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

We had various sub teachers in while my main teacher was off on maternity leave.
    He used to read The Irish Times, feet up on the desk, wheel in the TV and throw on movies or TV shows that were 15s or 18s. The few things I can remember watching were 'Jaws' and 'Beavis and Butthead'. He tried to give us homework once and was talked out of it by the class messer.
    Another sub used to drink out of a hipflask and teach us while clearly half cut.
    I also remember one other sub who used to make herself sick in the toilets. Teachers and kids shared toilets at the time because it was a rural, smaller school.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Drank a bottle of Old Spice

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

We had an sub for english in third year who thought that Emily Dickenson poems were all about sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

_Godot_ wrote: »
    We had an sub for english in third year who thought that Emily Dickenson poems were all about sex.

Are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

L1011 wrote: »
    Irish teacher (with very famous relations) hit a pupil in a rage - this being the early 2000s, not the 70s - and did everything he could to try prevent it getting up to the principal that he'd done so. It did, but the lad he hit didn't want to make anything of it. Teacher left after that year..

Jaysus, if a teacher hit any of the lads in my secondary school class from 1st to 3rd year, I'd say he would have been battered. Some big lads In our class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

KevRossi wrote: »
    Boys secondary school. Three female teachers in particular spent a lot of their time prick teasing us. Deliberate stuff and in it's own way, sexual abuse.

First one would drop something on the floor and while going down would spread her legs enough so you could see she was wearing tiny panties with plenty of bush around it (this was the 80's), or she'd have none on. Used to either take them on or off during the break between lessons as we all got different views on the same day.

Second one would get you doing work in class, she always had us rotate seats each class. She'd stand in front of your desk and bang her crotch off the edge of it. If you looked up at her she'd be staring right at you and fiddling with her bra strap or rearranging the cup of the bra. If she saw you excited enough, she'd get you to go up to the blackboard to write something, and you of course with a raging hard on.

Third one would have everyone doing some work and would lean over your desk to 'see how you're getting on'. She would normally have one or two buttons undone on the blouse, but she'd undo a third one for this. Tits and bra in full view. First time I ever knew there was a bra colour that wasn't white was through her. Once she was finished with you she'd give you a wink, or a pat on the arm. She was cracking looking as well, about 40 at the time.

If the roles were reversed it would be a sackable offence, but we were mad for the attention from them and they knew it, apart from the second one. She was just scary. Thing is, we were 12, 13, 14, 15 at the time. They never did the same stuff with Leaving Cert or 4th Years.

Niiiiicceeee

I had a teacher who would put homework on the board as soon as we walked in, in case we had to leave early. Same teacher used to take the roll at the end of the day too. In case you left early. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

When I was in fifth year one of my classmates in my English class sneezed and the teacher had him suspended for three days. The classmate was an absolute messer and he did sneeze obnoxiously loudly on purpose, so I think it was just the final straw in a long list of things that made the teacher finally snap, but it was still a step too far to get him suspended imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Jafin wrote: »
    When I was in fifth year one of my classmates in my English class sneezed and the teacher had him suspended for three days. The classmate was an absolute messer and he did sneeze obnoxiously loudly on purpose, so I think it was just the final straw in a long list of things that made the teacher finally snap, but it was still a step too far to get him suspended imo.

...not nowadays it wouldn't be :D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

No crazy teacher stories here, actually all my secondary teachers were sound. Primary too, now that I think of it.

There is one incident though that I do remember. I went to an all boys school in Monaghan. Anyway one day this auld lad dressed in a trenchcoat and a beret shows up in the back part of the school and heads straight into to one of the jacks. He's in there for about five minutes. Then he comes back out and leaves.

I'd never seen the guy before, and just assumed he was passing by the school and needed a piss. The one of my friends tells me who it was (the guy was anglo-irish stock, with a big estate in the locality) and says, he wasn't in here looking to go for a piss!

Being very naive at the time, I only figured it out later what the fuker was actually looking for!

I was in primary school from 87 to 95, the teachers acted like they were in the 60s, still hitting students, meter sticks were weapons. Remember deliberately getting maths wrong to go to the 'dumb class' as we knew it for a mess and doss, one of the students who was fairly disadvantaged couldn't get the maths and got a wooden duster in the head, got my maths right and got back out of there. Another teacher who was always stinking of whisky threw a duster at a guy who ducked, it broke the window and it was a first floor classroom. Remember that so well cos we were in the yard below.

One mad sub we had in 3rd class told us that we were all going to hell and nothing we did in life would change that, had us all freaked going home. Main teacher was back the next day and told to forget everything the sub said, bonkers.

Loads of mad stories from that school. Went into secondary and couldn't believe they couldn't hit us, all the guys from my class in the secondary school went mad messing as the fear of a meter stick was gone lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Our headmaster joined our class once to give us a talking to.

He posed the question: What is your most important subject?

We had to reply one by one, some said Maths, some said Science, some said English.

He was a bit annoyed no one said Religion, which he claimed it was.

Yes we had a once a week Religion class, back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭fire_man

Our primary teacher used to get her dinner and dessert delivered to daily.They would eat bacon and cabbage followed by jelly and ice cream in front of class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

ulster wrote: »
    No crazy teacher stories here, actually all my secondary teachers were sound. Primary too, now that I think of it.

There is one incident though that I do remember. I went to an all boys school in Monaghan. Anyway one day this auld lad dressed in a trenchcoat and a beret shows up in the back part of the school and heads straight into to one of the jacks. He's in there for about five minutes. Then he comes back out and leaves.

I'd never seen the guy before, and just assumed he was passing by the school and needed a piss. The one of my friends tells me who it was (the guy was anglo-irish stock, with a big estate in the locality) and says, he wasn't in here looking to go for a piss!

Being very naive at the time, I only figured it out later what the fuker was actually looking for!

A shhhiteeee?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Chemistry teacher in secondary school told one of the Muslim lads that he hoped he wouldn't be using anything he learned in the class to make explosives.

Realised shortly after that it wasn't really appropriate humour and was very apologetic. The student was happy not to take it any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Some mad stories here.

I can never understand how teachers in the past resorted to violence or even put downs of students.

Why would a grown adult have a need to do that to a child.
    Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Amirani wrote: »
    Chemistry teacher in secondary school told one of the Muslim lads that he hoped he wouldn't be using anything he learned in the class to make explosives.

the muslim boy should've replied "well you irish are experts" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

In 6th class, our teacher used to let us watch movies such as Double Impact, Under Siege and Universal Soldier on those wheel out vcr / tv combos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

fire_man wrote: »
    Our primary teacher used to get her dinner and dessert delivered to daily.They would eat bacon and cabbage followed by jelly and ice cream in front of class!

Our primary school principal used to eat her lunch with her children in her classroom, usually on a pupil's desk. They were absolute slobs and the desk would invariably be covered in milk, crumbs, butter etc. One occasion it was a desk I shared with another pupil, we refused to clean it and sat with our books on our laps until she called over a daughter to wipe it with a dirty rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Amirani wrote: »

Realised shortly after that it wasn't really appropriate humour and was very apologetic. The student was happy not to take it any further.

JK Rowling was already using that joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

josip wrote: »
    JK Rowling was already using that joke.

That fella moved to our secondary school for a few years. We all jst called him seamus lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭black & white

Primary school in Clare, early '70's. Principal who took my 6th class for Irish would often pick up a pen from a pupils desk and clean out his ears with it and put it back on the desk as if nothing had ever happened. Very handy with a stick but would never slap boys whose fathers were in professional/managerial jobs and I don't ever remember him slapping a girl. Ended up a big noise in the GAA and dead now.

Secondary boarding school in the South East, the 3rd year dorm was away from the main building was looked after by the Br who taught PE, any messing after lights out meant being marched across to the main building, into the shower which he turned to cold water only. The other thing was when in the shower, we had to face forward where he was standing, no turning away allowed. he's dead now too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

They mentioned borders ... sounds like private school! It’s also the explanation for the state of the current Tory government across the water.

Lord of the Flies meets Hogwarts education.

was wondering how long before first chip on shoulder would pop up

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

A shhhiteeee?

Nah think more Jeffrey Epstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

KevRossi wrote: »
    Roscommon country secondary school back in the 1980's:

School starts at 9.00. Teacher rolls in at 9.15, gets one of the lads to go down to the shop and pick up 20 Carroll's and the Irish Press. Every single day.

Playing pool in the lounge of a pub at lunch, teacher in the bar. Shouts out "Do I have ye at 2.00?" "Yes, you do sir!" Then throws out 10p for another game of pool and he orders another pint.

School tour: Got the bus driver to leave before two female teachers could come out and join them. Just himself and another male teacher, nobody else to spoil it. Got to Bundoran, the two of them spent the day drinking in several pubs, students ran riot around town on a plssing wet mid-week day in October, place was a ghost town, so they stuck out. Stopped twice for pints on the way home, eventually got home around 10 p.m., was supposed to be home at 7.30 pm.

Loads more, was considered just slightly outside of normal back then.

we went on 2 school tours to europe in the early 90's. the teachers who went knew what they were about and drank morning and night for the whole week. it was just 5th years and leaving certs so we were hard on the sauce as well. the tone was set on the ferry when the bar man refused to serve 2 of the students who were legit 18. the students went and got one of the teachers and complains so the teacher came down and got the barman to serve the lads who proceed to buy drink for everyone. at that point the barman didn't care. it went on in that vein for the next week unbelievable craic and there was a tacit understanding between the teachers and the students that as long as things didn't go too far everyone could have a rare old time.
    just before we got back home the bus pulled into a lay bye and there was a big talk about the concept of ''what happens on tour stays on tour''.

Advertisement