Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plenty of Fish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Only way is really good chat up lines such as you know what would look good on you my shirt in the morning....
    Do you cum here often
    Call NASA a star has fallen from the sky and do on....
    The scarier the better

There will only be seven planets left after I destroy Uranus.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,662 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

POf waste of time. Plus it's only a matter of time before you're deleted , they refresh male accounts on going, you'll be blocked and banned from site within 3 months.
    Of course they claim they don't do that, but google it.

Yu'd have more luck on boards, Or twitter, or youtube. Or if you want to pay for a dating site then Seeking Arrangement will always get you dates with gorgeous women, take some stunning lady for a week in Paris, yea you'll be paying, but many on there are open to relationships. You'll see that in the profiles, focus on those women.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Maybe sounding like a raving looney is off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I met my wife on POF

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I met my wife on POF

She's still on there :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I met my wife on POF

That must have been embarrassing, both of you were looking to cheat? Or do you have an open marriage?

Gympodie wrote: »
    Hi

I am curious to know what peoples experiences are with this dating site. I have been on this site for a week now and while it seems to be active with users, they don't seem to want to talk - at least from my experiences. I am always respectful, polite and friendly but to no avail. Is this the norm for most men? I have uploaded several decent photos (in a suit) and wrote a more than sufficient introduction of myself - but to no avail. They just don't seem to want to talk.

Is this par of the course? Or is it just me?

It's a numbers game. I just say "hi, how are things?" and about 1/10 respond.

I wouldn't bother making a big effort for that first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hamachi wrote: »
    There will only be seven planets left after I destroy Uranus.

Oh that's a new one, I'll add that to my list....

That could never fail

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I met my wife on POF

Quite the catch, love what she done with the hair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

You’ll never find a husband with that attitude.

I was nabbed by one of those in the days before online dating. Spent years trying to offload him on some other poor woman but he wasn't good with technology so could never manage either the burner phone or the dating profiles I set up for him. :D
    Day Lewin wrote: »
    No offense, but this reads to me like, in summary

"No ordinary man, however hard he tries, can possibly reach my standard of perfection."

No offence taken. I have no standard of perfection though like you seem to think, unless perfection has dropped to average. I was looking for a nice genuine chap who wasn't hiding a wife/girlfriend/partner, who washes regularly, doesn't look like an unmade bed, could talk about something other than his ex, treated people he came into contact with politeness and respect, and didn't drop the hand without checking whether it would be welcome on the first date. Or like a friend of mine experienced, the chap who took out his dick in the car the first time she met him expecting a blow job before they'd even gotten to the river cafe where they were going to have a coffee.

After 11 years on POF I've dropped my standards considerably but there is a bar that I'm not going to limbo beneath. If you consider that seeking perfection maybe I am and don't realise it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

Local watering hole!!!

Get a lovely puppy, grows up get rid and get another, the women can't resist a puppy.....

I CAN. I'm bombarded by twenty something year old pups.

I admit. I hold my hands up. I told a white lie. Said I was forty eight. I'm slightly older. I thought maybe I'm going to get mid fifty to sixty year olds and yes some of them aswell but these twenty something hobbits can't get enough of me. They love older women. I have to keep turning them down. Only makes them worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

Local watering hole!!!

Get a lovely puppy, grows up get rid and get another, the women can't resist a puppy.....

I CAN. I'm bombarded by twenty something year old pups.

I admit. I hold my hands up. I told a white lie. Said I was forty eight. I'm slightly older. I thought maybe I'm going to get mid fifty to sixty year olds and yes some of them aswell but these twenty something hobbits can't get enough of me. They love older women. I have to keep turning them down. Only makes them worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

POF? a total waste of time. Basically unless you are based in a city you will have slim pickings; the numbers will simply not be in your favor. That goes for nearly all dating apps TBH.

It's all a total nonsense in any event. Speaking as a man, half the women on dating sites don't actually want to date and appear to be on these sites to pass the time and half the men on them don't have a clue what they are doing and what they are doing most the time comes off as creepy, the numbers who are genuine(both genders) basically get lost in the noise. And it's a lot of noise.

The process is breathtakingly artificial and superficial. Yes, we are attracted to looks first off but there is a lot more to it than that and that then generates this weird utterly unattainable high standard from and for both genders and then this tedious messaging back and forth if you do match and not get ghosted... I ask for a date after about 20 mins tops of texting and if they are not up for that I delete and move on. If there's enough interest there will be a date. I'm not chatting to you just to help pass lockdown for you or a dull Sat night, go out and get a hobby. We're adults here, not kids.

I've personally never been on date from dating sites off and on 4 years now and most probably never will. I much prefer the normal way of actually interacting with someone I fancy and then taking cues from body language, chemistry, actual verbal nuance etc. and then get dates in real life.

It's all a cod. If you met your wife/husband on tinder/POF ten years ago great, fair play, but for most? waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The men to women ratio is insane on dating sites and apps. I'd go as far to say there is 30 men to every woman or something like that. Probably more!

Then you have to weigh in that some people just like to window shop, get an ego boost, serial daters and more. Less chance furthermore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I tried pof a few years ago, pretty much no one responds to messages. On bumble/tinder I couldn't keep up with messages at times, I don't know what it is about pof that you don't get responses.

POF? a total waste of time. Basically unless you are based in a city you will have slim pickings; the numbers will simply not be in your favor. That goes for all dating apps TBH.

It's all a total nonsense in any event. Speaking as a man, half the women on dating sites don't actually want to date and appear to be on these sites to pass the time and half the men on them don't have a clue what they are doing and what they are doing most the time comes off as creepy, the numbers who are genuine(both genders) basically get lost in the noise. And it's a lot of noise.

The process is breathtakingly artificial and superficial. Yes, we are attracted to looks first off but there is a lot more to it then that and that then generates this weird utterly unattainable high standard from and for both genders and then this tedious messaging back and forth if you do match and not get ghosted... I ask for a date after about 20 mins tops of texting and if they are not up for that I delete and move on. If there's enough interest there will be a date. I'm not chatting to you just to help pass lockdown for you or a dull Sat night, go out and get a hobby. We're adults here, not kids.

I've personally never been on date from dating sites off and on 4 years now and most probably never will. I much prefer the normal way of actually interacting with someone I fancy and then taking cues from body language, chemistry, actual verbal nuance etc. and then get dates in real life.

It's all a cod. If you met your wife/husband on tinder/POF ten years ago great, fair play, but for most? waste of time.

I got laid plenty of times from online dating! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Aphosis wrote: »
    At the time of writing I have 845 matches on Tinder. All of these are women I consider attractive and many are in their early 20s I.e. peak beauty.

My secret? I am a white man swiping in the Philippines.

So there you have it boyos, to make online dating work, just be yourself and move 10,000km away.

'ah you rich white man. You look like the Sean Connery'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I got laid plenty of times from online dating! :D

Where are you based?

Again, if you're based in a city you have many more options.

Where are you based?

Again, if you're based in a city you have many more options.

Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

If you're a girl - you get inundated with messages from pervy men just looking for sex, most of which you ignore.

If you're a (nice) guy - you get ignored because the women miss your message because it's under the pile of mails from pervy men just looking for sex.

"Active with users" is a misnomer - most of the profiles are fake bots designed to make it look like that way. Or pervy men just looking for sex.

There easily figured out bye looking at the

plugs sockets. ;)

129074139-isolated-north-american-power-outlet-plug-in-socket-on-a-white-wall-background-type-b-style.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Don't immediately call your ex a bitch. After a couple of messages when things don't seem to be going your way, resist the temptation to call us fat slag cnuts who you weren't interested in anyway.

Yeah ladies also need to learn to stop talking to there ex's :rolleyes:. Its so painful to listen to.

If you're a (nice) guy .

mlady.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I tend to think that guys who think of themselves as nice guys are most often not nice, but ia bit overly concerned with their own feelings.

Then again I remember being variously told that in my pics I looked like a terminator robot, American Psycho and an arrogant prick (by women who wanted to date me).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I signed up , and paid , for poF st the start of the year and I'm cancelling it. They just ignore distance settings and age ranges. Load of dung site

cj maxx wrote: »
    I signed up , and paid , for poF st the start of the year and I'm cancelling it. They just ignore distance settings and age ranges. Load of dung site

I had a lot of luck with Hinge. No swiping left and right. You tend to get more responses to messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭No again Danni

grassylawn wrote: »
    I tend to think that guys who think of themselves as nice guys are most often not nice, but ia bit overly concerned with their own feelings.).

Yes!

Ive seen guys describe themselves as 'genuine', you know and more so they become obsessive!! They are the ones who, if you don't respond tend to turn to either being really angry or keep sending you excessive compliments even though you've softly told them you're not interested and then had to harshly tell them you're not interested or just ignore.

The main problem I've found with what I see from guys I think who are actually genuine nice sound lads or what I think is the problem is they are not sexual and playful enough. They probably do this out of respect which is a good thing but you want to have some fun. It's a thin line I guess and different for everyone so not something you can measure or put a method too.

When it does happen and it all fits that's when you meet 'the one' I suppose. It's just how people fit and click and it's no different for online dating than irl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Gympodie wrote: »
    Hi

I am curious to know what peoples experiences are with this dating site. I have been on this site for a week now and while it seems to be active with users, they don't seem to want to talk - at least from my experiences. I am always respectful, polite and friendly but to no avail. Is this the norm for most men? I have uploaded several decent photos (in a suit) and wrote a more than sufficient introduction of myself - but to no avail. They just don't seem to want to talk.

Is this par of the course? Or is it just me?

Did you put up a dick pic? :pac: I am on it & its hit & miss, especially with Covid, some just want chat & "might" meet when restrictions allow.

Online dating is women who most have profiles with ''' any nice guys out there'' but only date loud mouth over confident a s sholes who treat em like dirt and leave em''
    No way in the world would these girls even reply to a '' nice guy''
    Its players playing players on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stay at home

Is this for younger people? Recently separated (well a year) 39 with one child. My friends are trying to convince me to sign up here but not convinced. Not sure I could handle dick pics and head wreckers so not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mlady.jpg

Ah, now you lost your shot when you shat the bed in the North Inner City thread!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement