Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭jmreire

Works, yes, but no where good enough. During the Merkel million invitation two Syrian friends of mine made it to Germany. They were housed in every large building available. In the case of my Friends, it was in a large gymnasium, squared of plastic sheeting suspended from tubular scaffolding. Each of them were housed in seperate buildings as they had arrived via different routes, but they had a common experience. Due to the flimsy nature of the plastic sheeting, everything that was said could be heard in the adjoining cubicles. And what was being said frightened my two friends so much that they pretended that neither of them spoke Arabic. It was all talk of Jihad, Jihad and more Jihad. Neither of my Friends would be whats called " shrinking violets". They were much more nearer the oft used description "Of Military Age". And from Syria, they has seen and experienced violence, lots of it. And did not want to experience it again in a German Refugee / Asylum centre, despite the fact . they were well used to weapons, and how to take care of themselves.It was easier to pretend they did not understand what was going on. You can be sure that there are lots of terrorist timebombs ticking away now in Europe, even if the Germans are quitely shipping lots of them back to where ever they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

People are going mad that accommodation can be found so quick for the refugees and not our own.

This shows that the majority of the public haven’t heard about Roderic Gormans plan to house all asylum seekers within 3 months.

All hush hush.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Along the the amnasty for tens of thousands of illegal immigrants and asylum seekers ,

Once legal they will all have to be housed too

Jobs, houses, etc all at the level of the middle class.. that's the expectation.

I do often wonder why there's not the expectation that Asylum seekers would be provided for at the same level as our working class.

And they will get it ,and if they don't were all racists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Once again the world is watching. No more years in mosney.

Warehouses now and tent cities have been mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Great to see DP on it way out. It's going to be great reading on here when DP is finally shut down.

The way thinks are going, we will be looking back at the golden age of DP, as we house refugees in tents, might not what you had envisaged!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Can a person leave a direct provision centre if an Irish person gives them a place to live?

• Advertisement

They are not being forced to stay ,they are free to leave anytime they choose

I know they can come and go from the places but I thought they aren’t allowed to get seek work?

Can they get jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

I think the courts ruled that they should be given some measure of work opportunities. A recent phenomenon has been asylum seekers who have been successful not wanting to leave DP due to the general housing shortage (at least as far as I am aware).

Makes you think. Makes the Irish Times whingers look really stupid.

Honestly I thought they were all stuck in a limbo. I mean I know kids could go to school but I thought they were not allowed to live anywhere but the centres not allowed to work.

Has me confused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

They are free to provide their own accommodation and don't have to stay in DP. Often when they get to stay they don't leave as they get to remain there and not have to pay rent. The adults can do adult courses and are allowed to work in some occupations where there's deemed to be a shortage, taxi driving seems to be a big draw for many of them. Obviously there are some people who genuinely need asylum, but most are clearly economic migrants who play the game. They have no right to asylum but string out appeal after appeal for years and years get a deportation order but it's never enforced and after enough years, like this one, our Justice Minister hands out leave to remain to them. The legal gravy train gets greasier, Helen gets Twitter likes, the NGO's make a fortune and the Twitter friendly politicians get very well paid jobs on the boards of NGO's when the taxpayer doesn't reelect them.

Okay, so I was being naive in believing it was a travesty.

Obviously though some genuine people stuck like you say.

Avoid listening to the NGOs and activists. That's why you're confused. It's in their interests to muddy the issue, and to make the "plight" of Asylum seekers be so much worse than it actually is. Just as they ignore what has changed over the last decade, and refer back to issues that have been resolved. There was a time when AS had no chance to work, but that was changed, to bring it into line with student visas, or like those on Jobseekers who could work a little, while still getting their welfare from the govt.

They're not stuck in limbo. They've got a range of opportunities until their claims are processed, and once processed they can live in Ireland the same as any other migrant (with a renewable visa). The problem is that many don't want to leave DP, and become independent of State supports, so the desire is to work while also gaining the financial supports (and accommodation) the State provides. The next step is the removal of DP entirely, but the retention of all the financial supports regardless of their actual status. Everyone is entitled, apparently.

I honestly wouldn’t have been able to say where I had the negative chatter from but it must have been from the people that you say.

This all came into my head because I saw an article about an upcoming movie about an African woman in direct provision and the hatred directed at the filmmaker before he was even finished shooting.

I don’t know what view on it all that the film has though.

The actions/behaviour of AS in DP has been very checkered. In a lot of places, the locals view AS as chancers and scammers. Same with people who resent the expenditure on DP, and then, some AS decide to burn what's given in protest.

The problem with most media related to this kind of thing is that it's going to be extremely biased. There's a lot of propaganda floating around due to the influence of the NGOs on social media, and they receive a lot of funding from the government, so they're well positioned to direct a certain narrative. So, personally, I'd be quite sceptical about such a movie and the message it's trying to impart. It's kinda hard to avoid showing a bias on such a topic, especially if you're on the inside looking out..

Its wonderful to see the DP system getting replaced by this much better option, well done to all those involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd say the war in Ukraine has washed O Gormans big plan of all the AS in a house of their own after 4 months down the toilet.

The housing stock just isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Those legitimate refugees fleeing the conflict in Ukraine are our priority now. Wonderful to see limited resources being directed to those most deserving.

Its certainly excellent to see so many coming here, fully support it. Hopefully many will stay long term. I think its a safe bet to be honest given the nature of the destruction in their homeland.

When you think about the absolute obliteration that has occurred in the Donetsk/Luhansk region and that its about 2/3 the size of Ireland you can easily see why it'll be decades before its fully rebuilt and why its very likely only a small % will ever return, particularly if they are from those regions.

But thats neither here nor there as the Ukranian folks are not those who would fall into the DP system. Thankfully the resources are being directed to a newer, fairer, more humane system that will allow folks to work and support themselves thereby allowing them to stand on their own 2 feet and get on with their lives. Great stuff, the sooner it gets implemented, the better

And will also hopefully be accompanied by an increasingly rigorous vetting process, to weed out those ‘folks’ who do not have a legitimate claim and are entirely undeserving of work authorization and own door accommodation. I’m certain you’re very much in favor of ensuring the integrity of our asylum process, meaning those whose claims prove unjustified, are swiftly removed.

It’s terrific to see own door accommodation being provided to those genuinely fleeing conflict. Resources are finite, which means that the capacity won’t be there for those who may have tried to circumvent due process. A most satisfactory outcome all round.

It’s terrific to see own door accommodation being provided to those genuinely fleeing conflict. 

Totally

And denied to those violating the integrity of the asylum process. Totally.

It some socially conscious Irish director that is compared to Ken Loach.

His social conscience doesn’t seem for apply to employing Irish actors though since the two leads in the movie are British.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

There must be a fair few Irish people at this point that can apply for asylum in these centres.

Nearly a million people in the country living below poverty line according to a recent report.

Roof over your head, food and bills taken care of, looking attractive now!

Post edited by freemickey on

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I'd love to see rules introduced that prevent politicians becoming employees of NGO's for at least 10 years after their political career is over and a ban on journalists becoming government PR people. It's the current state of politicians pandering to NGO's and journalists pandering to the government hoping for a well paid job out of it if they spin every single story in a pro migrant pro government way with no serious questioning and no investigative journalism at all. I barely read the Irish papers and I've stopped watching RTE, it's nothing more than a government shill at this point. They made great money out of the HSE Covid budget with all the advertising, they know which side their bread is buttered on. Nobody has any issue with genuine asylum seekers being here, the thing is though, there's very few of those, despite what the online NGO shills are ranting about.

All this nonsense like Africa Day reminds me of desperate attempts Labour UK made back in the 90's when the whole multi-cult thing turned to crap and couldn't be hidden anymore. Lots of puff pieces on the news and in the media about Africa Day and various other brown and black people culture celebrating days. Don't think they bother anymore, nobody buys it these days. Didn't work there, won't work here. Integration is the only way, there's no equality until the NGO's and government stop highlighting the differences and trying to persuade us otherwise. No amount of New to the Parish articles, or food festivals or unrealistic advertisements for demographics that just don't exist here will change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

When Roderick retires from politics we'll see get a nice cushy consultancy job with a building company or bank

Advertisement