Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

Right.

So last month Afghans were bogus asylum seekers, this month they are not.

Right.

I never said that. Yet again you know that though and once again you are deflecting.

A temporary hold was put on deportations because of the unfolding situation in Afghanistan, it doesn't change the fact that they failed in their asylum applications.

Not all countries have stopped deportation though, I believe Austria have said they will continue due to pressure from the public following the rape and murder of a 13 year old girl by a group of Afghan asylum seekers.

Surely any currently here are free to go home.

The Taliban weren't in power when they came here to begin with so it should be safe for them.

Also people need to bare in mind those already in DP arrived on commercial flights from Europe or other safe countries and what that tells you is they aren't genuine asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Coveney must have one big gaff to house all these lads

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Under the Dublin Regulation, we can send those that arrive from another European country right back there.

It just requires enforcement

• Advertisement

How so? It was designed to stop Asylum Shopping.

I understand that.

Ive worked in an industry where ive dealt with AS and I've seen many of their interview papers.

They all came via a safe European country.

I did encounter one Afghan, he was deported from the UK, left again and went through 10 countries back to the UK and then down here through the north and he application was multiple years pending at that point(maybe 4 to 6 years iirc).

So that's the kind of application we have pending long term, someone who should have been an instant rejection on two counts.

That's correct. Last month they lived under the most liberal and free democracy in the area. Thanks to Biden's incompetence they don't anymore.

Why should we? I mean, there's wars ongoing throughout the world all the time.. Afghanistan has simply received more attention because the US was involved. Would you advocate taking in refugees from all warzones or places where the government has fallen?

The big problem is this desire to place the needs of foreigners above the needs to our existing population (regardless of whether they're Irish natives or foreign born). Ireland has serious problems with both our own population at the bottom of the socio-economic scale, along with the thousands of migrants (Asylum/refugees/migrants) who were previously allowed into Ireland, but remain at the bottom of our society in terms of employment and living standards.

There is a tendency in this country to be always looking forward to the next issue, rather than dealing with the problems that currently exist. Taking in more people merely places greater strain on a series of systems already struggling with current demands. In many cases, such as DP or those related to accepted refugees, the systems are just there to maintain a particular status, doing little to integrate them into Irish society, ensuring that they're educated to a standard to compete effectively with other people in Ireland, and provide an adequate standard of living without government supports. There is so little interest in dealing with the problems that currently exist here.

So, we add in more refugees promising to provide for them, but ensuring that most live in an expensive country, as poor people. Lovely.

• Advertisement

They were plenty of areas in Afghanistan that were ruled by the Taliban before last week. you know that.

I'm interested, do you think we, as a country, should take refugees? Do you think countries should interfere in other countries? When ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So there is 38 million people in Afghanistan.

Are we expected to take the whole 38 million people?

How many does Bríd want us to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

Coveney had to come out of hiding after the zappone gig and Afghanistan done the job perfectly. Getting the Irish citizens out was an afterthought to the grand statesman!

There is no upper figure jingle jangle. We were the third most indebted country in the developed world pre covid, the government is spending money like water at the mo and the golden goose that pays for literally everything the multinationals will be less attracted to Ireland after tax changes.

Only this week the minister whose brief it is , is doing an amnesty for 17k here illegally. Imo there's gonna be a lot of disappointed illegals if it is limited to 17k. Theres 8k in direct provision who will be getting an amnesty due to covid. Zero deportations since covid started. Throw in family reunification on top for good measure!

Any issues with any of that n yer a big bad waysist! Now anyone for a temporary covid rebuilding tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

My point was that we should be opening our door and welcoming as many genuine refugees as we can facilitate (wherever they may be from but in this case, clearly those fleeing Afghanistan meet the criteria). But that as a result of having been forced by leftist pressure to take in all manner of chancers heretofore, that we find ourselves in a situation that we are not actually in a reasonable situation to take in genuine cases as we're bogged down with chancers.

So in a way you and I are in agreement. We shouldn't be adding further pressure to the system. Agreed. But the pressure built up historically is of the bogus type. Which is a shame now really because of where we find things in Afghanistan.

My point was that we should be opening our door and welcoming as many genuine refugees as we can facilitate (wherever they may be from but in this case, clearly those fleeing Afghanistan meet the criteria)

Again.. why should we? (I'm not going to repeat my points from the previous post).

>>>But that as a result of having been forced by leftist pressure to take in all manner of chancers heretofore, that we find ourselves in a situation that we are not actually in a reasonable situation to take in genuine cases as we're bogged down with chancers.

There's little difference on immigration and asylum when it comes to our politicians. The argument of the left/right is a smokescreen to avoid recognising the commonality between the political groups on certain issues. TBH, the left/right has little relevance when it comes to Irish politics, and their desire to virtue signal.

>>>So in a way you and I are in agreement. We shouldn't be adding further pressure to the system. Agreed. But the pressure built up historically is of the bogus type. Which is a shame now really because of where we find things in Afghanistan.

(Can't get the handle of the new quote system, sorry.)

No... Bogus claims, even those who were admitted into Ireland wouldn't be that high. Asylum accounts for a tiny portion of our numbers of immigration over the last two decades. Those in appeals are an issue, but it's a political issue, because the politicians don't want deportations, and they know that appeals fatten the coffers of the legal profession, and the NGOs who are loved in government house. We're just leaving two decades of extreme pro-multiculturalism from the EU, and our politicians have spent that time doing everything they could to pander to the European governments.... that's why our system is a mess. In addition the expectation that Asylum should provide facilities and services beyond what should be available, stretches resources, and makes the overall system unworkable.

Afghanistan shouldn't be a consideration. It's not our problem. We weren't involved in the Coalition efforts. Let the US take in 20-30k Afghans fleeing the area.. God knows, they have enough territory and resources to provide for them. But that's not going to happen. And so, to appear virtuous and to stave off the impression that our economy is a mess, our politicians will guarantee that we bring in hundreds, if not thousands of Afghans.. providing them with squat. A problem for the next government, and the next, and the next... etc. It's a stacked deck with Irish people being made to cough up for crap that does nothing to improve their lifestyles, and provides a wide range of very expensive issues, to make life more difficult overall...

Wouldn't it be nice if we have an RTE that put the interests of the nation first, and put the hard questions to the politicians and NGOs, about the impact on Irelands economy and society?

Not that many compared to the free parts. I think we should take refugees, yes absolutely. Should countries interfere in other countries? Mostly no, unless their own security is threatened.

So why should we take refugees then?

And why should Biden be responsible for the citizens of Afghanistan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Hamachi

We shouldn’t be taking in any Afghans. Ireland played zero role in current situation that pertains in that country. If ‘the West’ is required to absorb refugees, the US should be the primary destination.

What does it achieve exactly with Ireland taking in 500-1000 Afghans? It’s not even a drop in the ocean. Surely, those resources are better spent by providing aid to support them in safe zones in that region. It makes zero sense bringing them to Ireland, where they will likely live on the margins of society for generations.

I guess Coveney sees this as a way to burnish his ‘great statesman’ mantle. However, as the Zappone affair exposed, the emporer has no clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I must be the rich so because theres tax increases every budget on normal working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I think people who make absurd statements about migrant quotas like her should be made take in 10 right into their own home by law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Now that’s something I would pay to see. Maybe RTÉ could film a reality TV show around the scenario: At home with the fish wife and her 10 Afghans’..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A British reporter was on The Last Word earlier on and mentioned a member of ISIS already made it to France posing as an Afghan refugee, that puts to bed the argument that everyone is properly vetted before being sent to the various countries taking them in.

Cooper of course hurried the discussion along and didn't make any comment on this at all.

I'm not blaming the soldiers either they are in an impossible situation trying to sort this mess out.

Speaking of a mess sure when we have Coveney and O Gorman on the job back here at home what could possibly go wrong!

Post edited by Galwayguy35 on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But they caught that ISIS person coming in so that could also prove the system works

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If the system worked he wouldn't have made to to France at all, we are constantly being told everyone is vetted before they enter a country but its now clear terrorists are able to make it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

What is the story with this does anyone know? This fella has bought 15 houses and apartments for people in direct provision to move into. He's a philanthropist apparently so fair enough he can spend his money as he likes. But at the end of the article he's bemoaning the delay and as a result there's a cash burn. Were these to be rented back to the government?

Is this the next gravy train taxpayers are to be subjected to? Sounds like it

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/news/659097/fifteen-empty-portlaoise-homes-waiting-a-year-for-direct-provision-families.html

Seems to be, its registered as a company not even an AHB or a charity. I would expect that hes like a lot of people you see who want the label of philantrophist and the cache that comes out of that label but is going to bleed the State to do so. He gambled that they would want this at any cost rather than it all having to be tendered for etc. If he was actually concerned about people he would not let so much housing stock lie empty

He's not a philanthropist. If he were, he would be funding the entire venture out of his pocket and not looking for the Government to rent his properties off him. If he were a philanthropist, he'd be paying for every little thing (food, bills, education, healthcare) for the asylum seekers himself.

Plus he talks about kids growing up in hotels "segregated". There are lots of Irish kids in the same situation and he has had 15 properties vacant for some time. Why not address that issue first?

Thoughts on this newly released piece?

Seems to me like this is the tune O'Gormans been dancing to.

• Advertisement

Has anyone ever heard this before apparently theres a seperate planning process for asylum centres as long as they're on State land. Its all just rubber stamps, not even subject to appeal.

"“In exploring the model of more State centres, we need to agree and acquire a capital budget,” the briefing stated.

“State land does not require planning permission for new centres as the Minister has a power under the Acts, whereby the OPW can grant the planning permission and this is usually a three-month process. It is not subject to appeal.”

The document says that State centres “can also have a bigger footprint as it will be a permanent fixture in the locality”. In recent years a number of plans for private providers to open direct provision centres in regional towns have been met with protests from locals and anti-immigration activists."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/officials-pushed-for-state-to-buy-direct-provision-centres-from-private-firms-1.4678208

Advertisement