Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Feadog999 wrote: »
    Great write up about the direct provision plan and the issues with it from Killian Woods in the Business Post this morning. Great to see they highlight the issues that Public Expenditure have with the report

https://www.businesspost.ie/social-affairs/timetable-to-end-direct-provision-is-unrealistic-dper-officials-warn-d559d980?auth=login

Hey Feadog,

That article is behind a paywall. Any chance of a copy & paste or a summary of the substantive points please?

I mentioned this before but I firmly believe that O’Gorman’s little fantasy will be doused with cold water when it butts up against fiscal reality. My sense is also that his political career will be abruptly truncated in the next GE and this plan will be quietly shelved.

Hamachi wrote: »
    I mentioned this before but I firmly believe that O’Gorman’s little fantasy will be doused with cold water when it butts up against fiscal reality. My sense is also that his political career will be abruptly truncated in the next GE and this plan will be quietly shelved.

Maybe, but I suspect it'll be pushed through. Our politicians have a habit of not applying due diligence when it comes to the States finances... and the whole thing will be provided funding after it's implemented, when everything costs more. The focus is on the gesture of virtue as opposed to the practical considerations involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

Hamachi wrote: »
    Hey Feadog,

That article is behind a paywall. Any chance of a copy & paste or a summary of the substantive points please?

The timetable to end the existing direct provision system by 2024 is unrealistic and costings attached to the project are “too low”, according to a new series of warnings raised by senior civil servants.

Details of the concerns within the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform (DPER) are likely to put pressure on Roderic O’Gorman, the Minister for Children, whose department is overseeing the implementation of the new plan to ultimately house asylum seekers in own-door accommodation.

While there is widespread agreement on the need to end the current direct provision system, concerns have already been expressed by the Department of Housing that the proposed replacement is unworkable.

The government published a white paper outlining the new plan in February of this year. Now, new documents reveal that days before this, public expenditure officials told their counterparts in the Department of Children and Youth Affairs that the plan to have the new system fully operational by December 2024 involved “an extremely tight timeframe”. They added they had significant reservations about costings for the project, some of which were ultimately included in the final draft of the white paper.

They said the cost of running the new system was judged as “too low” and development costs associated with building new reception centres were being underestimated by flawed prices for construction.

Under the planned new scheme, asylum seekers will spend a maximum of four months in six custom-built, state-owned reception centres before moving into housing secured through Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs). The reception centres will have a total capacity of around 2,000. The documents show that significant concerns were also raised about the plan’s reliance on AHBs to provide own-door accommodation. The Housing Finance Agency, a state body that provides loans to councils and housing bodies for housing, warned AHBs would only be able to produce around 40 per cent of the required housing for asylum seekers. In submissions to O’Gorman’s department, one senior public expenditure official said the timeframe for completing the changeover to a new system by the end of 2024 was “very ambitious”.

They added it was “an extremely tight timeframe given the complexity of what is being proposed and the nature of the capital projects” and said “this should be identified as a risk”. The officials in DPER also said they were “broadly supportive” of the plan to overhaul direct provision, but signalled “significant risks regarding policy implementation”. They added that the capacity of the proposed system in the white paper coupled with the constraints in the housing market, were the key issues.

“There is a need to ensure competition for scarce resources is minimised – how will this be managed particularly at local level? Is there sufficient skillset in the labour market to build such a team when presumably similar skills are in high demand elsewhere in the housing sector?” one official said.

Additionally, figures in draft versions of the white paper on the cost of new reception and integration centres were noted as “too low, seeking revised costings” by DPER, but were ultimately included in the final report.

The draft white paper said accommodation per annum for 2,000 individuals, including utilities, wifi, furnishings, maintenance, would cost €21.9 million. It added that operating costs for reception centres, including integration support case-workers, would cost €1.18 million.

In the final draft of the white paper, the operating costs were more than double at €3.4 million, but the €21.9 million cost was only rounded up to €22 million despite being flagged as “too low”. Some costings were amended in the final draft of the white paper after warnings by DPER. The department also said land acquisition costs were not backed up and “had the potential to cause an underestimation in the capital required for the project”.

“The €700k cost per acre needs to be backed up. The cost/acre can range dramatically depending on location and amenities – it can be in the millions for small plots in and around Dublin or down to a couple of €100,000 outside Dublin or around other large cities.”

The near-completed version of the white paper, shared in February, also significantly underestimated the cost of construction at €2,400 per square meter, DPER said. “That is the going rate for the bricks and mortar construction costs, which generally account for c50 per cent of total development costs. That does not include a range of costs including contributions/levies, professional fees, contingency, Vat and developer margin and finance costs which could add a further 47 per cent to that cost bring it up to nearer €153 million. For the apartment blocks again it depends on where and how high. The €2.4k/sqm would be the low ball here. The cost of apartments could be in excess of €200 million,” DPER said.

Some of the state’s top officials also reiterated previous warnings that questions remained as to how the proposal to house asylum seekers in own door accommodation would affect the already constrained property market. DPER officials agreed with the Department of Housing conclusion that the white paper plan would result in greater levels of homelessness and would exacerbate rental inflation. The process to develop the white paper commenced after an advisory group, chaired by Catherine Day, the former secretary general of the European Commission, proposed methods to reform the direct provision system in September 2020.

The report produced by the group chaired by Day said the current direct provision system was “inadequate and very expensive”. Last year, the state spent more than €175 million on direct provision accommodation last year. New records seen by the Business Post have revealed the service will cost €225.6 million this year. A spokesman for O’Gorman’s department said the advice provided by DPER officials was “carefully considered and informed the costings” ultimately included in the white paper. “These costings were also based on advice provided by the Housing Agency and by the Land Development Agency. The department is currently working closely with the County and City Management Association, Housing Agency and local authorities on an agreement distribution of accommodation.”

The Business Post reported in November last year that the then proposal to house asylum seekers in own-door accommodation had been described as “unworkable” , “unimplementable” and “unrealistic” by the Department of Housing. The department has claimed the measure would result in greater levels of homelessness and would exacerbate rental inflation at a time when the government is attempting to reduce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Open to correction but I think you have to be legally resident in the State before having a baby that qualifies under this new law.

Asylum seekers are not legally resident and therefore any kids they have while going through the asylum process would not qualify for citizenship under this new law.

I do agree that it is sneaky. This isn’t what we voted for a couple of years ago!

Sure they don't need to be residents, they get here and weeks later have a gaff, once they have that they aren't going anywhere.

They need social welfare to live until they get "JOBS", They start breeding like rabbits, then are deemed overcrowded and get a nice new 4/5 bedroom beauty. A1 Rated, Solar Panels, Heat Pumps, Top quality stock.

****ing joke of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Have a look at Bohemian fc twitter page and their welcome refugees post today. Apparently Ireland per capita are the highest number of refugees in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Wibbs wrote: »
    And we will not be asked to vote on it again, that's for certain.

It's amusing to see Paul Murphy and the likes state, correctly, that birthright citizenship can be legislated by the Dail without the need for a referendum.

Technically a majority of TD's could vote to reinstate the abortion laws and marriage laws we had prior to 2018 and 2016, without holding a referendum and riding roughshod over the two referendum results.

Can you actually imagine the reaction if Paul's logic was used on two issues he didn't approve of, there would be war.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Technically a majority of TD's could vote to reinstate the abortion laws and marriage laws we had prior to 2018 and 2016, without holding a referendum and riding roughshod over the two referendum results.

To add to that, in the run up to the 2020 election some loons on Twitter set up a website where they had a record of the publicly made opinions of every single Dail candidate in the country regarding abortion and possibly gay marriage (I believe they emailed each and every candidate). Any candidate who didn't have a publicly expressed view on the issue was to be treated as hostile and not to e voted for. The expressed reasoning was to educate voters to prevent them electing TD's who could possibly be prone to putting through legislation to roll back the abortion laws.

I could bet my life the people who set up that site fully support the efforts to force through birthright citizenship without another referendum on it. They are probably the same mob that were absolutely outraged at any type of public gatherings over the last 15 odd months but suddenly realised the rules don't apply when you need to show solidarity with some career criminal in Minneapolis and some gobshyte getting himself shot dead in Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

To add to that, in the run up to the 2020 election some loons on Twitter set up a website where they had a record of the publicly made opinions of every single Dail candidate in the country regarding abortion and possibly gay marriage (I believe they emailed each and every candidate). Any candidate who didn't have a publicly expressed view on the issue was to be treated as hostile and not to e voted for. The expressed reasoning was to educate voters to prevent them electing TD's who could possibly be prone to putting through legislation to roll back the abortion laws.

I could bet my life the people who set up that site fully support the efforts to force through birthright citizenship without another referendum on it. They are probably the same mob that were absolutely outraged at any type of public gatherings over the last 15 odd months but suddenly realised the rules don't apply when you need to show solidarity with some career criminal in Minneapolis and some gobshyte getting himself shot dead in Blanchardstown.

I opposed the Birthright Citizenship Referendum to this day & was disappointed it passed; I believe if you're born here, you're from here & it's as simple as that.

I understand the complications arise if one or both your olds're then issued with a deportation order but you personally are Irish in my eyes.

If there was a way around that I'd encourage a solution & I wouldn't be concerned with the anchor babies argument postured by Justin et al.

As for Messrs. Floyd & NKencho I've already communicated with my local PBP Cllr. that neither're her poster boys for racism; there's many other worthy candidates than them and nor is/was it, in regards to Nkencho, "Police brutality" either & to let GSOC inquiry take it's, very slow as per everything else here, course before pushing for an independent inquiry since you inevitably won't agree with its findings.

Am just curious to know should the Nkencho investigation go against the calls for an independent inquiry and be in agreement with them (sorry if I've phrased it clumsily) would they drop their request for an independent inquiry & would those currently opposing an inquiry accept the results of investigation?

Are there parallels with the Terence Wheelock situation? I'm sure there's some but I doubt there's too many & if I was Wheelocks family I'd be staying the hell away from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Just noticed that Deputy Willie O’Dea asked a Parliamentary Question (PQ) about birthright citizenship.
    See below and the response from the Min for Justice.

I think Willie is to be commended for this.

If you feel the same tell him so. Most politicians will run with anything if they think it’s popular.

His email is:

Willie.odea@oireachtas.ie

Get emailing folks!

Questions (1158)

Willie O'Dea

Question:

1158. Deputy Willie O'Dea asked the Minister for Justice if she plans to support the restoration of birthright citizenship in Ireland against the wishes of the Irish electorate who voted overwhelmingly in favour of restricting birthright citizenship in the 2004 referendum. [31930/21]

Written answers (Question to Justice)

Heather Humphreys

Minister for Justice

As the Deputy will be aware, following the 2004 referendum, the 27th amendment to the Constitution was inserted as follows:

ARTICLE 9

2 1° Notwithstanding any other provision of this Constitution, a person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, who does not have, at the time of the birth of that person, at least one parent who is an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen is not entitled to Irish citizenship or nationality, unless provided for by law.

2° This section shall not apply to persons born before the date of the enactment of this section.

This Article enables the Oireachtas to legislate for the terms of entitlement to Irish citizenship for children born in the State. The existing citizenship laws are based on lawful and reckonable residency of the parent or parents of the child and this will continue to be the case under the proposed amendments to the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, contained in the General scheme of the Courts and Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2021.

Section 15 of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956 sets out the conditions for the grant of a certificate of naturalisation conferring Irish citizenship on a minor born in the State. One of the conditions for naturalisation is that the applicant must have had one year’s continuous residence in the State immediately before the date of the application and 4 years residence during the 8 years preceding that.

The General Scheme of the Courts and Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2021, which was published last week, includes a proposed amendment to section 15 of the 1956 Act to reduce the residence requirement for naturalisation for minors born in the State from the current 4 year residence requirement to 2 years. In effect, this will replace a 5 year residency requirement with a 3 year residency requirement with the requirement of one year’s continuous residence in the State immediately before the date of application continuing to apply.

I know that it has been a cause for concern for some that children born in Ireland to non-Irish parents do not have an automatic entitlement to citizenship. The Government fully respects the amendment of the Constitution approved by the Irish people in the 2004 referendum; however, we believe that providing a shorter pathway to citizenship is the right thing to do for these children. The Oireachtas will have the opportunity to debate the proposed changes to the legislation in the normal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Minister of Justice Reply:
    I [MoJ] know that it has been a cause for concern for some that children born in Ireland to non-Irish parents do not have an automatic entitlement to citizenship. The Government fully respects the amendment of the Constitution approved by the Irish people in the 2004 referendum; however, we believe that providing a shorter pathway to citizenship is the right thing to do for these children. The Oireachtas will have the opportunity to debate the proposed changes to the legislation in the normal way.

To a minority of people, maybe. The 80% who voted for the constitutional amendment fully understood that was the implication of the amendment. That is why 80% of people voted for it.

This is a wholly cynical and undemocratic coup by NGOs and their backers seeking to implement birthright citizenship against the vast majority of the Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They really want to ruin us don't they ....

We were over run... Many coming ready to give birth that day or close to it, getting in and never leave

Just noticed that Deputy Willie O’Dea asked a Parliamentary Question (PQ) about birthright citizenship.

If you feel the same tell him so. Most politicians will run with anything if they think it’s popular.

His email is:

Get emailing folks!

Questions (1158)

Willie O'Dea

Question:

1158. Deputy Willie O'Dea asked the Minister for Justice if she plans to support the restoration of birthright citizenship in Ireland against the wishes of the Irish electorate who voted overwhelmingly in favour of restricting birthright citizenship in the 2004 referendum. [31930/21]

Heather Humphreys

Minister for Justice

As the Deputy will be aware, following the 2004 referendum, the 27th amendment to the Constitution was inserted as follows:

ARTICLE 9

2 1° Notwithstanding any other provision of this Constitution, a person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, who does not have, at the time of the birth of that person, at least one parent who is an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen is not entitled to Irish citizenship or nationality, unless provided for by law.

2° This section shall not apply to persons born before the date of the enactment of this section.

This Article enables the Oireachtas to legislate for the terms of entitlement to Irish citizenship for children born in the State. The existing citizenship laws are based on lawful and reckonable residency of the parent or parents of the child and this will continue to be the case under the proposed amendments to the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, contained in the General scheme of the Courts and Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2021.

Section 15 of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956 sets out the conditions for the grant of a certificate of naturalisation conferring Irish citizenship on a minor born in the State. One of the conditions for naturalisation is that the applicant must have had one year’s continuous residence in the State immediately before the date of the application and 4 years residence during the 8 years preceding that.

The General Scheme of the Courts and Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2021, which was published last week, includes a proposed amendment to section 15 of the 1956 Act to reduce the residence requirement for naturalisation for minors born in the State from the current 4 year residence requirement to 2 years. In effect, this will replace a 5 year residency requirement with a 3 year residency requirement with the requirement of one year’s continuous residence in the State immediately before the date of application continuing to apply.

I know that it has been a cause for concern for some that children born in Ireland to non-Irish parents do not have an automatic entitlement to citizenship. The Government fully respects the amendment of the Constitution approved by the Irish people in the 2004 referendum; however, we believe that providing a shorter pathway to citizenship is the right thing to do for these children. The Oireachtas will have the opportunity to debate the proposed changes to the legislation in the normal way.

Fair play to Willie O'Dea.

Once again the Minister for Justice is all concerned about a tiny percentage of people who aren't happy that children born here don't automatically get Irish citizenship. So now we are weakening the laws a bit more to pacify them.

New records seen by the Business Post have revealed the service will cost €225.6 million this year.

Awful for tax payers to see this happening year in year out.

His email is:

Get emailing folks!

Questions (1158)

Willie O'Dea

Question:

Heather Humphreys

Minister for Justice

ARTICLE 9

Fair play to Willie for asking this. Hopefully more politicians start asking similar questions. But I won't hold my breath. I'll definitely email him.

Any idea when he asked it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I voted to keep birthright citizenship in 2004, but it should not be brought back without another referendum.

It was 79/21 in 2004.

You can't just legislate that away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

"The Government fully respects the amendment of the Constitution approved by the Irish people in the 2004 referendum; HOWEVER, WE believe..."

Egregious. This crowd need to be put out to pasture since yesterday.

Conmen.

Fair play to Willie for asking this. Hopefully more politicians start asking similar questions. But I won't hold my breath. I'll definitely email him.

Any idea when he asked it?

Not 100% certain without checking but about 2 weeks ago.

It’s recent.

Gradius wrote: »
    "The Government fully respects the amendment of the Constitution approved by the Irish people in the 2004 referendum; HOWEVER, WE believe..."

Egregious. This crowd need to be put out to pasture since yesterday.

Conmen.

Email Willie and let him know how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Email Willie and let him know how you feel.

At least he's asking the right questions.

Somebody is going to emerge someday, sooner rather than later, and they're going to make a holy show of these half-wits on the daily.

If there's ease in cutting down fools, there's enjoyment in cutting down corrupt fools.

It's just a matter of time, and timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Gradius wrote: »
    At least he's asking the right questions.

Somebody is going to emerge someday, sooner rather than later, and they're going to make a holy show of these half-wits on the daily.

If there's ease in cutting down fools, there's enjoyment in cutting down corrupt fools.

It's just a matter of time, and timing.

It's like Ryan mouthing off how the greens have a mandate for the direct provision debacle. They got 7% of the vote and are only in government to keep SF out and will be wiped out again the next election..... but in his head this equates to a mandate from the Irish people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

twinytwo wrote: »
    It's like Ryan mouthing off how the greens have a mandate for the direct provision debacle. They got 7% of the vote and are only in government to keep SF out and will be wiped out again the next election..... but in his head this equates to a mandate from the Irish people

We have a written constitution. We do here it spouted out regularly that we cannot do a number of things, because it’s not constitutional. Any attempts by elected representatives to divert from that principle, will be tested in the courts. I’d be really surprised if any government tried that one.

This story has gone off the table as well. The wider housing issue has surpassed it as we move away from a covid frenzy news environment.
    What they cannot do, it leave the status quo as is. I’d be up for totally State run facilities, but also an acknowledgment that refugees will get their own door accommodation is not achievable. Try nearer a year. Is it no wonder the Dept of Housing were so critical.

Yes, it does appear to be a Green solo run as well. FFG leaving it well alone.

Cal4567 wrote: »
    We have a written constitution. We do here it spouted out regularly that we cannot do a number of things, because it’s not constitutional. Any attempts by elected representatives to divert from that principle, will be tested in the courts. I’d be really surprised if any government tried that one.

This story has gone off the table as well. The wider housing issue has surpassed it as we move away from a covid frenzy news environment.
    What they cannot do, it leave the status quo as is. I’d be up for totally State run facilities, but also an acknowledgment that refugees will get their own door accommodation is not achievable. Try nearer a year. Is it no wonder the Dept of Housing were so critical.

Yes, it does appear to be a Green solo run as well. FFG leaving it well alone.

Before we do any of that, i would love an answer as to how many "refugees"we (as a country of approx 5 million) are going to take? How can they make any sort of plans when they have no number in mind, it would appear to be unlimited - which is not sustainable even in cloud cuckcoo land

I voted to keep birthright citizenship in 2004, but it should not be brought back without another referendum.

It was 79/21 in 2004.

You can't just legislate that away.

But you do understand why virtually no country in the world has birth Right citizenship? Ireland never had it either until the referendum to allow the government to sign the GFA... given that it gives people not only access to Ireland but also the EU it is completely open to abuse which is exactly what happened the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Before we do any of that, i would love an answer as to how many "refugees"we (as a country of approx 5 million) are going to take? How can they make any sort of plans when they have no number in mind, it would appear to be unlimited - which is not sustainable even in cloud cuckcoo land

We have two programmes to receive refugees.

Note that this thread is about housing for AS, not refugees.

We know that the vast majority of AS are bogus.

The two programmes are:

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Irish_Refugee_Protection_Programme_(IRPP)

Background
    On 10 September 2015, as part of Ireland’s response to the migration crisis in central and southern Europe, the Government established the Irish Refugee Protection Programme (IRPP). Under this programme, the Government committed to accept up to 4,000 people into the State, through a combination of the European Union Relocation Programme established by two EU Council Decisions in 2015 to assist Italy and Greece, and the UNHCR-led Refugee Resettlement Programme currently focussed on resettling refugees from Lebanon and Jordan. The Press Releases announcing the Government decision are available below.

10/09/2015 - Ireland to accept up to 4,000 persons under Relocation and Resettlement programmes
    10/09/2015 - Update on Ireland’s Response to EU Migration and Refugee Crisis
    13/09/2015 - Information note on public offers of support in response to EU refugee crisis - Department of Justice and Equality
    14/09/2015 - Statement by Minister Fitzgerald on the Migration Crisis Following an Emergency Meeting of Justice and Home Affairs Ministers

The Government Decision to accept 4,000 people into the State did not contain a time limit, but the Relocation Programme had a time limit of approximately two years. It has not been possible for Ireland to deliver fully on the numbers allocated to it, primarily because those numbers did not actually exist on the ground in Greece. Hence, the Government has had to find other mechanisms to deliver on the commitments made by Ireland.

The shortfall in numbers will be filled by family reunification arrivals under the IRPP Humanitarian Admission Programme (IHAP), and by our pledge to the EU ad hoc disembarkation/voluntary relocation arrangements from vessels in the Mediterranean.

As of 31 December 20119, progress across the various strands of the IRPP was as follows:

Under the EU Relocation strand, 1,022 people were relocated to Ireland

Under UNHCR Resettlement, a commitment was made to resettle 1,985 people, of which 1,913 resettlements have now been completed;

Under the IRPP Humanitarian Admission Programme 2018/19 (IHAP), a commitment was made to admit 740 family members of refugees;

Under other mechanisms (Search and Rescue Missions, Unaccompanied Minors from Greece, Calais Special Project), a commitment was made to admit 253 people, of which 113 have arrived.

SECOND PROGRAMME

Irish Refugee Protection Programme – Phase II

In December 2019, plans were unveiled by the Minister for Justice and Equality, Charlie Flanagan TD, and his colleague, the Minister of State with responsibility for Equality, Immigration and Integration, David Stanton TD, were Ireland will welcome up to 2,900 refugees between 2020 and 2023 through a combination of resettlement and the new community sponsorship initiative. Click here to read the 2019 Press Release announcing the Government decision.

The new phase of the Irish Refugee Protection Programme (IRPP) will see 650 UNHCR resettlements in 2020, 700 in 2021, 750 in 2022 and 800 in 2023. The arrivals for the first two years will largely comprise Syrian refugees resident in Jordan and Lebanon, along with a pilot group of 150 Eritrean refugees resident in Ethiopia. The European Commission will provide funding of €9m to support the resettlement of 900 people between early 2020 and June 2021. The first selection mission for this second phase took place in March 2020, but was cut short due to travel restrictions owning to the Covid-119 pandemic.

Composition of migrant cohort
    In announcing the IRPP, the Government recognised the importance of prioritising family groups and addressing the position of unaccompanied children. While statistics will fluctuate over the course of time, the majority of those arriving under the Irish Refugee Protection Programme are family groups, and 40% of whom are minors and 32% of whom are under 12.

So the headline amount of refugees is 4,000 + 2,900 = 6,900

AFAIK, this thread is about housing for AS, who are people who arrive into Ireland, and then claim asylum, and want to acquire status.

The two programmes are about people who seem to have refugees status before they arrive here?

Well, Eamon Ryan leader of the green party has quite ambitious plans for taking in refugees. His words are "bringing in refugees at scale" when speaking about getting to an island of 10 million people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Masala

Well, Eamon Ryan leader of the green party has quite ambitious plans for taking in refugees. His words are "bringing in refugees at scale" when speaking about getting to an island of 10 million people

Holy Gawd........ unbelievable.

We couldn't handle 8.5m on the island in 1847 and 2.5m had to emigrate.

Where the F..K are we gonna put another 5m on this island????

I am gobsmacked...

Masala wrote: »

I am gobsmacked...

Where are they going to be employed? I haven't seen any indication that the Irish economy is growing at such a rate to provide permanent employment for such numbers. Where is all the preparation to upgrade the services of this nation to support such numbers? Sure as hell, that the health service wouldn't be capable of adequately providing for such a population, and general transportation networks in Ireland are a mess. (roughly adequate although still not enough for the current population). Imagine Ireland with another 3 million cars on the roads.

It's utterly retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Geuze wrote: »

So the headline amount of refugees is 4,000 + 2,900 = 6,900

AFAIK, this thread is about housing for AS, who are people who arrive into Ireland, and then claim asylum, and want to acquire status.

The two programmes are about people who seem to have refugees status before they arrive here?

Don't forget to add the numbers those that will qualify for family reunification, so you're really talking about providing housing for at least 30,000 people. A pretty decent sized town. And that's just the latest batch in the undending promise extended by our foolish government.

Sod this.

*Googles National Party manifesto.
    *grits teeth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Masala wrote: »

I am gobsmacked...

Well, 100yrs after gaining our independence and the hard fought for right to our own land, our government has sold the nation back to a bunch of foreign landlords (the REIT's crowd), they may as well go full circle and ensure another famine to boot!

Advertisement